Kick-off
Thu, 9 July 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ................VS...............

Date - Thursday, July 09 2020
    Kickoff Time - 2015 Hrs BST
    Venue - Villa Park, Birmingham

League form guide

5. Manchester United: WDWWW
    18. Aston Villa : DLDLL

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 2—2 Aston Villa

Manchester United 1—0 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 1—1 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 85
    Aston Villa wins: 43
    Draws: 39

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Dean Smith

Team News

Manchester United

Axel Tuanzebe and Phil Jones ruled out. Victor Lindelöf doubtful.

Aston Villa

Tom Heaton, Wesley, Björn Engels and Matt Targett ruled out.

Know the opposition

Aston Villa Football Club (nicknamed Villa, The Villa, The Villans, and The Lions) is a professional football club based in Aston, Birmingham. The club were formed in March 1874, by four members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel. The four founders were Jack Hughes, Frederick Matthews, Walter Price and William Scattergood. The first match was against the local Aston Brook St Mary's Rugby team. The club were soon playing the modern version of football though and won its first FA Cup in 1887. Aston Villa were one of the dozen teams that competed in the inaugural Football League in 1888 with one of the club's directors, William McGregor being the league's founder. Aston Villa emerged as the most successful English club of the Victorian era

Villa are one of only five English clubs to have won the European Cup, in 1981–82. They have also won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the UEFA Super Cup once. At the end of the 2018–19 season, Aston Villa had also spent 105 seasons in the top tier of English football. The only club to have spent longer in the top flight are Everton, with 116 seasons, making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa's arch-rivals are Birmingham City, with games between the two clubs known as the Second City Derby. Historically though, West Bromwich Albion have arguably been Villa's greatest rivals. Villa also enjoy less heated local rivalries with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Coventry City. Aston Villa have been playing their home games at Villa Park since 1897.

Referee

Jonathan Moss.​

paulscholes18

Same again

DDG
    AWB Lindelof* Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Matic
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Martial

*if fit Bailly if not

ManRed

Same team and hopefully Matic and Maguire turn up for this one.

Who is our 4th CB currently fit?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
    You have to carry on with the same team unless someone is clearly unfit or injured.

Villa, like Bournemouth have been in horrendous form, so much so they're conducting an internal enquiry into their transfer business.

Interested to see how Grealish does, because I expect us to win regardless.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
    Aston Villa is an awful team held together by one guy in the middle. Better win this.

Yagami

Good post resistant
    I can't wait for this. I'm looking forward to seeing us play at Villa Park again. One of my favourite grounds.

bondsname

I thought we looked way too relaxed in the starting phase versus Bournemouth. Don't want to see any if that ln Thursday. We have to be on our very best from the first minute.

We should be beat Villa but anything can happen, they are fighting relegation and will be motivated for this game.

MDFC Manager

Are we playing before our other top 4 competitors again? It's a good thing.

Revan

Assumptionman
    Hopefully, Lindelof is back, hopefully, Maguire does not get drunk before the game.

Otherwise, the same team as usual. If Greenwood does not start, I'll quite my stream.

Gerald G

Same team and hopefully Matic and Maguire turn up for this one.

Who is our 4th CB currently fit?
    Mengi currently. Hopefully we don't get any more injuries there!

De Gea
    AWB--Bailly--Maguire--Shaw
    Matic--Pogba
    Greenwood--Bruno--Rashford
    Martial​

edcunited1878

If everyone is fit, then they should start. However, it's the start of 3 league matches in 7 days so subs need to be used early if possible and wouldn't be surprised if a couple players are rotated. Need to have patience but be tidy and crisp early on as Villa may just try to sit back.

Alemar

De Gea
    AWB--Mengi--Maguire--Shaw
    Matic--Pogba
    Greenwood--Bruno--Rashford
    Martial

TrustInOle

Agreed with most, same 11 again please and just keep rotating the 5 subs throughout the first 11. Would give Baily a chance to redeem himself if Lindelof is out for the game.

See nothing more than a comfortable victory. 4-0 United.

cyberman

If everyone is fit, then they should start. However, it's the start of 3 league matches in 7 days so subs need to be used early if possible and wouldn't be surprised if a couple players are rotated. Need to have patience but be tidy and crisp early on as Villa may just try to sit back.
    3 games in 7 days isnt that taxing?
    We would play that every other week if we had CL

Nickelodeon

Bailly was really unfortunate today. He should and would start if Lindelof is injured. Hoping for the same starting line up to continue. Can’t remember the last time we won 3 consecutive league games with 3 or more goal margins.

siw2007

Probably go for the same team minus Lindelof if he is injured.

DDG
    AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Matic Bruno
    Greenwood Martial Rashford
    The only players we have to watch for in this Villa team are McGinn and Grealish. McGinn doesn't have the quality that our players do but his aggression and intensity might disrupt our flow so we must make sure that we are quick and alert with our passing game. Grealish was unplayable at OT, we need to work him out better this time and not leave him one on one with our defenders, was very tempting to play Fred or McTominay to do a man marking job.

Otherwise if we are as devastating going forwards as we were in previous games, then I fancy another big win.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
    So another 5-0 drubbing for us?
    Villa can be a dangerous team and has the quality to hurt us in a few areas.
    Hopefully we start strong and put them away early otherwise they’ll frustrate us and could cause us trouble.
    They’ll be fighting tooth and nail to stay up so I doubt this will be a walkover.

Red_Aaron

We couldn't be in better form, fully fit and full of confidence you have to fancy us win again

However, teams down the bottom at this time of year can find performances sometimes, villa may even go for the point from the start. Bournemouth today were greatly improved on recent weeks and I wouldn't be surprised to see villa fighting for everything.

What was most pleasing to me was responding to going behind which in previous seasons has been a rarity. It suggests this confidence is deeper than some of the other good runs we had post saf

Villa have spots of quality that we need to be mindful of but as long as we are professional I believe we'll be alright. Another 3 goals please boys

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Villa are more physical than Bournemouth. But then again we did despatch Brighton quite easily.

This will be a 4-1. Hopefully Pogba gets on the scoresheet.

Gerald G

I don't think this will be easy by any means. Hopefully there's no injuries in training and we can go full strength again

ChaddyP

The fact that these games are played behind closed doors will be what gets us through what would be a tricky fixture for us. No crowd behind them and we just play our game will he an easy 3 points for us

Red Royal

Hopefully today will be a wake up call. Yes we in the end ran out comfortable winners, but you could see Bournemouth were up for the fight and I am sure Villa will be even more so.

We need to be absolutely patient and focused for this one, and then hopefully our superior class will tell. Even with the confidence we have right now, going one down against a relegation threatened team cannot be easily turned around.

For that reason not too many changes if any needed, and again hopefully by 70 munute mark Ole can make changes with a game sewn up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Most of their games against the better sides have been determined by the odd goal, I expect this to be a tough game

I also remember more draws than I do wins at Villa Park

always_hoping

Chelsea recently had to grind out 2-1 win in Villa Park and I recall Liverpool also beating them 2-1 with the winner coming in the 95th minute.

Need to cut out the silly lapses of concentration in defence and goal keeping. Some match in this current unbeaten run United won't play well and will still win and this could be one of those games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions