Kick-off
Thu, 9 July 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

Not worried at all if Bailly gets the start. Matic has been fantastic for us, but we might to start Fred for this one. A heavy fixture load awaits us but I’d really like to see more of Fred can do with Bruno and Paul before we reach garbage time.

always_hoping

If United remain unchanged for this game the changes to the starting team from the 2-2 home draw against Villa In December will be

Out

Williams
    Fred
    Pereira
    Mata
    James

In

Shaw
    Matic
    Pogba
    Bruno
    Greenwood

BTW I had the misfortune to attend that 2-2 draw and watching it live I had no confidence of United grabbing a late winner and was worried Villa would win instead.

Gerald G

Because he's prone to errors and lapses in concentration and makes the defense nervy.
    He looked fine before the break and bar that weird penalty, he was good when he came on vs Bournemouth. Mengi is an unproven 18 year old. It would be mad to start him instead of Bailly and it just won't happen.

always_hoping

For those not watching todays game Liverpool had 1 effort on target at home to Villa with a near full strength team in the 1st half. Grealish picked up a few knocks be interesting to see will he come out for the 2nd half.

fps

Watching Villa today it looks like a question of how many United will score. They’re working very hard but apart from Grealish the lack of quality is desperate.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

Fred Pogba

Greenwood Bruno Rashford

Martial

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
    Villa have to win every match so there has to be a an effort. They can't sit back totally.

Devil may care

He makes the supporters nervous
    Yeah, from Salford to the Sudan United fans will be clenching cheeks across the globe!

He looked fine before the break and bar that weird penalty, he was good when he came on vs Bournemouth. Mengi is an unproven 18 year old. It would be mad to start him instead of Bailly and it just won't happen.
    I never mentioned Mengi though.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Look after Grealish, and I think we should be ok, enough fire power to score two or three, while I can't see Villa scoring more than one at most. Would bring in Bailly and Fred for Lindelof and Matic, and possibly James for Greenwood (we can I'll afford an injury to the young man, and he played a lot of minutes recently), and I think Villa will have a go at us, so we should be able to hit them on the break.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
    Look after Grealish, and I think we should be ok, enough fire power to score two or three, while I can't see Villa scoring more than one at most. Would bring in Bailly and Fred for Lindelof and Matic, and possibly James for Greenwood (we can I'll afford an injury to the young man, and he played a lot of minutes recently), and I think Villa will have a go at us, so we should be able to hit them on the break.
    Greenwood's in form, keep playing him. The same players should start as much as possible from now on.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Greenwood's in form, keep playing him. The same players should start as much as possible from now on.
    Yep, let's keep playing him, then moan when the injuries start. Exactly what happened to Michael Owen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Pogba
    James Bruno Rashford
    Martial
    Can see us lining up like this. It's the period we need to start rotating, between this, Southampton on the Monday, Palace on Thursday and Chelsea the Sunday. Lindelof not sure if he's injured or not, but Bailly is fine to start. McTominay will be a good option for this game IMO, Pogba and Bruno seem fine fitness wise so I would start them then sub them out if we go a couple of goals up. Rotate Greenwood out of the starters as he played all 90 minutes yesterday, especially as Villa will be chasing a lot more so James' pace will be more useful.

Then for Southampton, Bring Williams in for Shaw, maybe Fred from the start for one of Pogba/Bruno and Ighalo starting for one of Martial or Rashford against either Southampton or Palace.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
    Yep, let's keep playing him, then moan when the injuries start. Exactly what happened to Michael Owen.
    Or let's not make top 4.

Mbappe is young and plays a lot of games because he's good enough. Rooney and Ronaldo played a lot of games because they were good enough.

Injuries happen and Michael Owen was unlucky. The fact is we have a few games left to get European qualification and if he's in form then we need to play him.

RedDevilRoshi

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Pogba
    James Bruno Rashford
    Martial
    Can see us lining up like this. It's the period we need to start rotating, between this, Southampton on the Monday, Palace on Thursday and Chelsea the Sunday. Lindelof not sure if he's injured or not, but Bailly is fine to start. McTominay will be a good option for this game IMO, Pogba and Bruno seem fine fitness wise so I would start them then sub them out if we go a couple of goals up. Rotate Greenwood out of the starters as he played all 90 minutes yesterday, especially as Villa will be chasing a lot more so James' pace will be more useful.

Then for Southampton, Bring Williams in for Shaw, maybe Fred from the start for one of Pogba/Bruno and Ighalo starting for one of Martial or Rashford against either Southampton or Palace.
    Greenwood didn’t play the full 90 yesterday. He has to start against Villa.

The team have 5 days to rest as the next game isn’t till Thursday. That’s plenty time. It’s not like we are playing tomorrow. Play the same team minus Bailly for Lindelof. Get the game won and once we know the 3 points are in the bag, then we can sub off our main player’s for the backup squad players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Greenwood didn’t play the full 90 yesterday. He has to start against Villa.

The team have 5 days to rest as the next game isn’t till Thursday. That’s plenty time. It’s not like we are playing tomorrow. Play the same team minus Bailly for Lindelof. Get the game won and once we know the 3 points are in the bag, then we can sub off our main player’s for the backup squad players.
    Never mind you're right. Not sure why I thought he stayed on all game.
    It's not so much for resting them for this game, just not overusing them before the next 3 which are all much trickier games. Southampton is a decent side, Palace can be a dangerous counter attacking team and then it's the semi final. Villa is by far the worst side there.

ash_86

We have to persist with same lineup and hopefully get to a comfortable position and then take off important players. We cannot mess with top 4 now with only hand full of games remaining.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Owen was a totally different type of player. He relied on his blistering speed to get on to long passes which was Liverpool's game. This emphasis coupled with a Liverpool team that was inconsistent placed a reliance on Owen to get them goals. A better comparison would be Rashford who coincidentally has had a lengthy injury and relies on his pace.

Greenwood does not move in anything like the same way and we now have 2 other strikers sharing the workload. We can also sub him for Ighalo. Yes we need to guard against burn out but we're better equipped these days than 17/18 years ago

Robbie Boy

They concede by the bucket load and are fairly poor going forward so if we are on our game, I can see a solid 2 or 3 nil. Hopefully we don't have any 'moments' at the back to undo our good work since coming back.

RedDevilRoshi

Never mind you're right. Not sure why I thought he stayed on all game.
    It's not so much for resting them for this game, just not overusing them before the next 3 which are all much trickier games. Southampton is a decent side, Palace can be a dangerous counter attacking team and then it's the semi final. Villa is by far the worst side there.
    I understand where you are coming from but then again I think Ole is managing it pretty well in terms of his selections. Start with your best XI, get the game won and then take them off once you know the 3 points are in the bag.

In terms of the fixtures, we’ve got the upper hand on our rivals. Chelsea still have to go to Anfield and play Wolves on the final day. Leicester are still to play both North London clubs away from home. If we play the way, we have been recently, I’ve got full confidence that we will take care of our remaining fixtures. Ideally go into the West Ham fixture knowing that a win all but secures top 4.

Motorman

Has anyone done the:

4-0 United, Greenwood (2), Rashford (1), Grealish (1).

If not then:

4-0 United, Greenwood (2), Rashford (1), Grealish (1).

If so, then as you were.

USREDEVIL

Same team again. We just came back from 1 down to win 5-2. We don't play until Thursday so they should be ok. I'd keep my eye on Matic though... have Fred raring to go from the start.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Or let's not make top 4.

Mbappe is young and plays a lot of games because he's good enough. Rooney and Ronaldo played a lot of games because they were good enough.

Injuries happen and Michael Owen was unlucky. The fact is we have a few games left to get European qualification and if he's in form then we need to play him.
    So don't play Greenwood, and miss out on top four? Greenwood is 18, and not fully developed physically, the bodies soft tissues need rest, especially at that age, ligaments tend to stretch, muscles get small lesions every time we exercise, so a very tiny lesion could turn into s muscle tear at any time. We also have 4 matches in 10 days, so pretty much the whole team will need various amounts of rest during that period. I believe Villa will have a go, therefore leaving them susceptible to a quick counter attack, where James is more dangerous than when he is faced with a defensive team.

Nickelodeon

No changes. That’s the reason why players were taken off timely. The only change could be Lindelof which would be a forced one. No point saving legs if we lose points. I’d rather all changes be made for the FA Cup game.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Owen was a totally different type of player. He relied on his blistering speed to get on to long passes which was Liverpool's game. This emphasis coupled with a Liverpool team that was inconsistent placed a reliance on Owen to get them goals. A better comparison would be Rashford who coincidentally has had a lengthy injury and relies on his pace.

Greenwood does not move in anything like the same way and we now have 2 other strikers sharing the workload. We can also sub him for Ighalo. Yes we need to guard against burn out but we're better equipped these days than 17/18 years ago
    So because Greenwood moves in a different way, the stresses and strains on his body, especially soft tissue, are not the same? 4 matches in 10 days is quite a task, so we need to rotate the squad somewhat.

ghagua

This game will be harder than it looks on paper. Villa are still fighting for survival and will give United a hard game. I'm expecting a tough game with a narrow win for United.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    Why not start him. Assuming Lindelof is injured, Bailly doesn’t deserve to play.
    Because what if he makes a mistake that costs us the game. That could kill the kids career before it begins. Youngsters need to be eased in. The cafs obsession with youngsters is weird. I’d rather Scott play CB than Mengi.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    So because Greenwood moves in a different way, the stresses and strains on his body, especially soft tissue, are not the same? 4 matches in 10 days is quite a task, so we need to rotate the squad somewhat.
    No, It's because Liverpool relied on Owen so much he was an injury waiting to happen. As I also stated we can rotate. They'll know when to rest Greenwood far more than random posters on a football forum

Eire Red United

Because what if he makes a mistake that costs us the game. That could kill the kids career before it begins. Youngsters need to be eased in. The cafs obsession with youngsters is weird. I’d rather Scott play CB than Mengi.
    One thing is for sure we need a cb. Maguire gets hurt or suspended we are fecked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions