Kick-off
Thu, 9 July 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glorio

We've been lethargic, and for me the concern is that it's complacency rather than being gassed. If Villa score, I can almost guarantee you'll see them up the tempo.

I get trying to conserve energy, but maybe put the game to bed first? We spent most of the half walking.

All that said however, I like how it lulls them into a sense of security and then we suddenly spring. That Fernandes missed header - what a goal that would've been!

Cantonagotmehere

Ye
    Great to see! Seems like Ole (or someone at the club) finally got through to him. Haven't seen him work this consistently hard from game to game in a long time.
    Yep, wining that ball in the middle, fighting hard led to the Greenwood goal.

Such a fun team to watch right now.

Get some fresh legs on ASAP, please Ole

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
    Another one for Ole: I dont recall martial defending and recovering balls in midfield before. Great team spirit infused by our manager

Riz

I don’t agree with Keane all the time and think he plays up the role of angry Irishman a bit but... it’s so much better listening to him at half time tell it how it is than Redknapp and co recycling garbage like “they’re struggling and they’ll need to be better in the second half”.

RooneyLegend

I'm calling it lads, Greenwood is the best finisher world football has seen since Van Basten.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Could do with him with the way Rashford been playing since the return
    He'll be fine. Depth and competition is good though and of course would love to get Sancho... but fecking hell how do you leave out Greenwood. He's brilliant.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
    Lucky to be gifted the penalty, but there was nothing lucky about the second. Hard work and desire to get the ball from Martial, followed by pure brilliance from Greenwood. Wow.

Also should have had another from Bruno's headed chance. That should have been a goal.

Still feels like we're playing at walking pace. Think we need to inject some fresh energy into the team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    If it's possible Greenwood is getting better every game - brilliant movement, intelligent passing and outstanding finishing !
    I think he’s only 70% on what he can become. I’m hoping for Ronaldo type development from him.

eire-red

Greenwood hits the ball so early its ridiculous, touch with the left to set the ball a yard away, you think he'll take another touch to steady himself but its past Reina before he knows it.

He's just incredible, for an 18 year old to now be scoring week in, week out is amazing. I expect him to score or at least seriously work the goalkeeper whenever he's near the 18 yard box. Phenomenal!

MonkeysMagic

If there were HT ratings, bar Greenwood the team would be getting 2s and 3s from me! Terrible passing, control and movement of the ball. We know Villa are nothing special but when they are the better team criticism is justified. Hope Ole gives them a rocket and we see better play sec half.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    We have definitely gotten better as the half went on. Rashford needs to do more and stop being brainless with his play.
    He looks so out of confidence, he will get there soon enough I am sure. I just can’t decide if he needs a rest or he needs to be left on the pitch to slowly gain it.

dalriada

You can't underestimate how important Greenwood is for us at the moment. Not only is he so lethal, his goals come at such crucial points in the game. Excellent decision making as well to exchange with Martial while he optimised his position. That could make the difference in allowing us to rest players later in the game, as we have certainly looked jaded so far, the frequency of matches has caught up.

Roy Keane is right on this occasion to call out Mings for the second goal but the penalty was harsh on them. Overall though, we've earned the lead, just not in the exhilarating fashion of previous matches since the restart.

Schmeichel=God

I don’t agree with Keane all the time and think he plays up the role of angry Irishman a bit but... it’s so much better listening to him at half time tell it how it is than Redknapp and co recycling garbage like “they’re struggling and they’ll need to be better in the second half”.
    absolutely.

stu_1992

We've been pretty poor tbh. I'm not sure sure if it's fatigue or complacency, but whatever it was it was harsh to Villa to see us go 1-0. I thought we were very lucky to get that penalty. At first I wasn't convinced it was in the box. On replays, I still couldn't say for sure. But I'll take it!

Improved slightly after, though still not great. What a strike by Greenwood. No stopping that, he smashed it. Great time to score too.

Baneofthegame

Greenwood’s overall play has been great today, considering we haven’t been great, to be 2-0 up is outstanding.

AWB and Rashford have been off the pace today, not sure AWB should of been booked.

Hopefully we can get Mason/Bruno/Matic/AWB some rest with an early third goal.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Rashford is the world class counter attacking forward, if he learns how to play in positional attack, he’ll be the the best left winger the world football. He is only 22. He never had a chance to play for a proper dominating team. We were in shambles. Now he just needs playing time. Given his IQ and determination, I have no doubts he will progress. He is still very far from his ceiling.

Kaizane

Greenwood. Takes a touch. Second touch pops it on to his right. 3rd touch it's in the net.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Can we please forget about signing Tyrone Mings, completely useless, Roy is 100% correct there

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    If there were HT ratings, bar Greenwood the team would be getting 2s and 3s from me! Terrible passing, control and movement of the ball. We know Villa are nothing special but when they are the better team criticism is justified. Hope Ole gives them a rocket and we see better play sec half.
    I agree, I don’t like how slow we are moving the ball, when we were in and around the box just slowly moving it was frustrating.

ReallyUSA

Our attack next year with Sancho will justify me going back to Europe. Once they let us go ha

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Good first half. We cannot expect to smash everyone with ease. Villa are fighting relegation, they weren't going to have their pants pulled down tonight. You could see that from how well they played at Juanfield last weekend. The important thing is we kept our composure under pressure and its paid off (even if our defence does look wobbly when dealing with the aerial ball).

PS) Mason Greenwood is making himself undroppable.
    PPS) Credit to Martial in the build up to our second. Real back to goal striker's play to win the ball, keep it under pressure and get us going. His development as a centre forward this season has been superb.

kidbob

Marcus is still off but he was our best player before he got injured so hopefully he'll come good. Scary to think how good our forward line will be if he does

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions