Astronaut's DNA no longer matches his identical twin

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is amazing. Interesting ramifications for a mission to mars as well.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Just watched Annihilation on Netflix last night, this confirms that it was factual.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pretty sure that I've read it before — like a year ago or something. Although maybe it was just a theory at that point, based on his case.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fascinating that his telemeres got longer when he was in space. Presumably slowing down aging ?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Bad headline.

His gene expression changed in response to stress - this is the classic example of how we analyse networks in bacteria too (grow them, stress them, see how the gene expression changes, dive into the details of the changed genes). It is literally exactly what should have happened. The expression mostly returned to baseline when he came back home. What also changed was the epigenetic marks on the DNA, which are known to play a role in the regulation of gene expression - this is also expected stuff.
The use of the word "mutation" in the article seems to be misleading, nowhere else do they mention a change in DNA *sequence*.

The part about telomeres increasing length (which has implications of lifespan and cancer (both increase)), is what is true regarding the headline, but telomeres length does change even on earth, in response to stress. Stress was thought to shorten telomeres, but the correlation was weak. There is an interesting article showing a mechanism by which stress that causes DNA damage (like UV exposure) might lengthen telomeres as a side-effect of the DNA repair machinery involved in the response to DNA damage. This could have been happening to him in space. Still, it is interesting that they got back to normal length once he got back home, and I wouldn't know how to explain that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bad headline.

His gene expression changed in response to stress - this is the classic example of how we analyse networks in bacteria too (grow them, stress them, see how the gene expression changes, dive into the details of the changed genes). It is literally exactly what should have happened. The expression mostly returned to baseline when he came back home. What also changed was the epigenetic marks on the DNA, which are known to play a role in the regulation of gene expression - this is also expected stuff.
The use of the word "mutation" in the article seems to be misleading, nowhere else do they mention a change in DNA *sequence*.

The part about telomeres increasing length (which has implications of lifespan and cancer (both increase)), is what is true regarding the headline, but telomeres length does change even on earth, in response to stress. Stress was thought to shorten telomeres, but the correlation was weak. There is an interesting article showing a mechanism by which stress that causes DNA damage (like UV exposure) might lengthen telomeres as a side-effect of the DNA repair machinery involved in the response to DNA damage. This could have been happening to him in space. Still, it is interesting that they got back to normal length once he got back home, and I wouldn't know how to explain that.
I understood nothing of this post. :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I understood nothing of this post. :lol:
:(
To simplify: your genes are stored as sequences of DNA. They didn't change.
But, individual genes can be turned on/off or low/high in response to stress. For example, if a bacteria senses food, it will turn on the genes that help it digest that food. So for this guy, in response to the stresses of space, some portion of genes got tune on or off. They mostly returned to normal when he got back to earth. A gene changing its expression like this does not mean that gene itself changed - the sequence remains the same (and when you have a child, it is the sequence that you pass on).

Skills

Snitch
So is he technically still a human then (or is that a different definition)? Humans share 98% of the genes with a chimpanzee, so this guy is 5% further away.

BootsyCollins

Bad headline.

This post is amazing. Maybe my favorite post.

If i ever wonder about anything i will ask you. You are by far the smartest person i have ever seen.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This post is amazing. Maybe my favorite post.

If i ever wonder about anything i will ask you. You are by far the smartest person i have ever seen.
*blushes*
Lol I just happen to be studying similar stuff, but thanks.

donkeyfish

Bad headline.

Is there a good popular science book about epigenetics?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Bad headline.

Innit. Was just about to say this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bad headline.

Way to ruin my sensational headline with facts. :rolleyes:

edcunited1878

Bad headline.

Take. A. Bow. Cheers!