Astronomy & Space Exploration

Loublaze

ATLien
That's actually the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field, which is not the same patch of sky. Here's a higher resolution picture:

Here is the original Hubble Deep Field:

Here's the even newer Hubble eXtreme Deep Field, which is supposed to be a more sensitive look at the Ultra-Deep view, yet seems to be lower resolution:

For good measure, here's the even newer newer Hubble Deep Ultra-Violet Legacy Survey (or something):

Nice, I was going to post the original deep field but picked the wrong picture to link. All beautiful!

Did you mean trillions of planets. You mean stars as we have no idea how many planets there might be.
You're correct, stars I should've said indeed.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The Webb Deep Field should be something special when we eventually get it in 2060 or whatever.

Loublaze

ATLien
The Webb Deep Field should be something special when we eventually get it in 2060 or whatever.
Im looking forward to seeing the first images off it which should be sometime in 2022 if 2021 launch is not pushed back again.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Apparently Jupiter is the closest it's been in 5 years. Supposedly clear skies next week so my mate is busting his telescope out. You're meant to be able to see it with binoculars so should be decent through the telescope.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So much for the above. Cloud cover looks to be about 100%. Woulda been a nice temp for staying out at night as well.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The Voyager missions launched 42 years ago, and ran on solar when in range, and switched to Plutonium 238 once out of range of solar.
They had turned off a few key systems to ensure survival for a few more years, and have made a change to turn back on the thruster on Voyager 2.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/...g-power-for-long-haul-into-interstellar-space

It's 120 AU(astronomical unit) from earth - pluto is 29 AU from earth

Crackers

greasy ginfers
SpaceX have just released a statement explaining the cause of the explosion that happened on Dragon:
https://www.spacex.com/news/2019/07...light-abort-static-fire-anomaly-investigation

The timing of this release is interesting - due to what else happened/happens recently
  • 50th anniversary of moon landing
  • Starhopper (their nickname for their new rocket) is due an update
  • The change of leadership at human spaceflight in NASA
It's a very smart thing, bury it within millions of other news articles.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
First time commenting on this thread, huge space enthusiast. I really want spacex to be a success as it could open plenty of opportunities In the near future.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
One for people who fancy becoming space vacationers in the not too distant future.

A Twitter thread at once horrible, comical and strangely fascinating.

You do need to read the replies thread though to get the story! Incidentally it's not just, or even mostly, about women.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
And the UK gives a huge amount of foreign aid to.....India.
Not only can we not afford such a space programme. We cannot even afford a reasonable Royal Navy.
India tells Britain: We don't want your aid
India’s Finance Minister has said that his country “does not require” British aid, describing it as “peanuts”.

Pranab Mukherjee and other Indian ministers tried to terminate Britain’s aid to their booming country last year - but relented after the British begged them to keep taking the money, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The disclosure will fuel the rising controversy over Britain’s aid to India.

The country is the world’s top recipient of British bilateral aid, even though its economy has been growing at up to 10 per cent a year and is projected to become bigger than Britain’s within a decade.

Last week India rejected the British-built Typhoon jet as preferred candidate for a £6.3 billion warplane deal, despite the Development Secretary, Andrew Mitchell, saying that Britain’s aid to Delhi was partly “about seeking to sell Typhoon.”

Mr Mukherjee’s remarks, previously unreported outside India, were made during question time in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of parliament.

“We do not require the aid,” he said, according to the official transcript of the session.

“It is a peanut in our total development exercises [expenditure].” He said the Indian government wanted to “voluntarily” give it up.

According to a leaked memo, the foreign minister, Nirumpama Rao, proposed “not to avail [of] any further DFID [British] assistance with effect from 1st April 2011,” because of the “negative publicity of Indian poverty promoted by DFID”.

But officials at DFID, Britain’s Department for International Development, told the Indians that cancelling the programme would cause “grave political embarrassment” to Britain, according to sources in Delhi.

DFID has sent more than £1 billion of UK taxpayers’ money to India in the last five years and is planning to spend a further £600 million on Indian aid by 2015.

“They said that British ministers had spent political capital justifying the aid to their electorate,” one source told The Sunday Telegraph.

“They said it would be highly embarrassing if the Centre [the government of India] then pulled the plug.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ndia-tells-Britain-We-dont-want-your-aid.html

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
There's been some great programming on space on PBS lately. Last nights on the gas giants was fascinating. What the Voyager team achieved is absolutely astounding.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It was funny watching the moon landing docu where they talked about how the astronauts were rushed into quarantine but the rags that the pickup crew used to wipe down the capsule were just thrown into the sea.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Surprised to see nothing about the hubble telescope finding the 2 galaxies coming together the other day.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2019/hubble-catches-2-galaxies-at-play/

Happened around 454 million years ago, which is mind blowing to me.
So right. The scale and sheer size of our visible Universe puts anything else into context.
And the light from that event has been travelling at 300,000 km per second for 454,000,000 years until it reached our tiny planet.

Just imagine what our planet was like at the time that event happened.
Really makes me laugh when I hear people saying that we have to save 'the planet'
Our planet was far better before humans evolved and decided that it was theirs to do whatever they liked. At the expense and detriment of every other species.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have just started watching a 5 part series from BBC called The Planets with Brian Cox. I just downloaded them on my Sky Planner, absolutely fascinating viewing. Begins with the origins of the Solar System, how the planets were created and how the life cycle of each planet has evolved and how things could have been so different for planets like Mars and Mercury.

I highly recommend it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
India tells Britain: We don't want your aid
India’s Finance Minister has said that his country “does not require” British aid, describing it as “peanuts”.

Pranab Mukherjee and other Indian ministers tried to terminate Britain’s aid to their booming country last year - but relented after the British begged them to keep taking the money, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The disclosure will fuel the rising controversy over Britain’s aid to India.

The country is the world’s top recipient of British bilateral aid, even though its economy has been growing at up to 10 per cent a year and is projected to become bigger than Britain’s within a decade.

Last week India rejected the British-built Typhoon jet as preferred candidate for a £6.3 billion warplane deal, despite the Development Secretary, Andrew Mitchell, saying that Britain’s aid to Delhi was partly “about seeking to sell Typhoo
Fixed

stepic

I have just started watching a 5 part series from BBC called The Planets with Brian Cox. I just downloaded them on my Sky Planner, absolutely fascinating viewing. Begins with the origins of the Solar System, how the planets were created and how the life cycle of each planet has evolved and how things could have been so different for planets like Mars and Mercury.

I highly recommend it.
just finished the one on saturn, so one more to go.

feels a little repetitive, as he's already done wonders of the solar system which covered a lot of this stuff (from memory), although still hugely enjoyable to watch of course. the more i watch things like this the more i think the likelihood of human like intelligence in the universe diminishes. we as humans exist due to such a freak set of circumstances, it's mental.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

feels a little repetitive, as he's already done wonders of the solar system which covered a lot of this stuff (from memory), although still hugely enjoyable to watch of course. the more i watch things like this the more i think the likelihood of human like intelligence in the universe diminishes. we as humans exist due to such a freak set of circumstances, it's mental.
I've only managed to watch the first couple so far, but I plan on finishing it before the weekend.

I've not seen that one, but I'd love to watch it. I think Brian Cox is brilliant and explains things in a way that, despite being utterly baffling, are easy to understand. I agree, watching it makes you realise just how utterly freakish it is that we are even here at all. I love learning about where we come from.

Ainu

There's something between 100 billion and a couple of trillion galaxies containing on average 100 billion stars each in the observable universe alone. We'll never know how many more beyond the observable.

Anything we consider a freak occurrence might've happened trillions of times before in the history of the universe. Even if we consider that periods of intelligence might be absurdly short, two such periods anywhere in the universe overlapping might still have happened a large number of times.

Or maybe not, who knows? It's almost pointless to think about the odds on this scale with so many unknown variables.