Kick-off
Tue, 2 November 2021 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ........................VS.............................

Date: Tuesday, November 2 2021
    Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Stadio Atleti Azzurri d'Italia, Bergamo, Italy

Champions League form guide

Manchester United: LWW
    Atalanta: DWL

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 3—2 Atalanta

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 1
    Atalanta wins:
    Draws:

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Gian Piero Gasperini

Team News

Manchester United

Anthony Martial doubtful.

Atalanta

Berat Djimsiti, Robin Gosens, Rafael Tolói, Matteo Pessina and Hans Hateboer ruled out.

Know the opposition

Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio, commonly referred to as Atalanta (and nicknamed La Dea, Gli Orobici, and I Nerazzurri), is a professional football club based in Bergamo, Lombardy, Italy. The club plays in Serie A. Atalanta was founded on 17 October 1907 by students of the Liceo Classico Paolo Sarpi and was named after the female athlete of the same name from Greek mythology. The Italian Football Federation did not recognize Atalanta until 1914, and in 1919 announced that it would only allow one club from Bergamo to compete in the highest national league (then called the Prima Categoria). As Atalanta and Bergamasca were rivals and did not come to an agreement, admission to the Prima Categoria was decided by a playoff match; Atalanta won this match 2–0. A merger between the two clubs nevertheless occurred in 1920, forming the new club Atalanta Bergamasca di Ginnastica e Scherma 1907 (shortened to Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio) and establishing its black and blue (nerazzurri) colors.

In Italy, Atalanta is sometimes called Regina delle provinciali (queen of the provincial clubs) to mark the fact that the club is the most consistent among Italian clubs not based in a regional capital, having played 60 seasons in Serie A, 28 seasons in Serie B, and only one in Serie C. The club won the Coppa Italia in 1963 and reached the semi-finals of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1988, when it was still competing in Serie B. This is still the best ever performance by a non-first division club in a major UEFA competition (together with Cardiff City). Atalanta also participated in four seasons of the UEFA Europa League (previously known as the UEFA Cup), reaching the quarter-finals in the 1990–91 season. Atalanta additionally qualified for the UEFA Champions League three times, reaching the quarter-finals in the 2019–20 season under Gian Piero Gasperini.

The club is also famed for its youth academy, which has produced several notable talents who have played in the top leagues of Europe. Atalanta supporters have a long-standing friendship (gemellaggio; twinning) with supporters of Ternana. The friendship between the two clubs' supporters is one of the oldest and strongest in Italy, persevering since the 1980s. Atalanta supporters share their most intense rivalry with supporters of nearby club Brescia. Meetings between the two clubs are sometimes known as the Derby Lombardo (Lombard Derby). This rivalry has its roots in a historical feud between Bergamo and Brescia dating back to the Middle Ages, beginning in 1126 when Bergamo expanded its territory by acquiring land put up for sale by Brescia. In addition to Bescia, there are also strong rivalries between Atalanta and Italy's other well-supported clubs: Juventus, Roma, Milan, Inter, Turin, Napoli, and Lazio. The club plays its home matches at the 21,747-seater Gewiss Stadium.

Referee

Slavko Vinčić.​

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Run today back for Atalanta and City.

Just Rashford in for Cavani if need be.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Run today back for Atalanta and City.

Just Rashford in for Cavani if need be.
    Yeah, against Atalanta. And the old boys back for City. Hopefully we can take off Bruno and Ronnie relatively early against Atalanta. And given the 5 subs, maybe even Varane too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Lovely. Away game before facing City on the Saturday at lunchtime kick-off.
    Fortunately they are at home to Club Brugge, albeit a day later.

Irwin99

Do they have any of their missing first team back? I expect the same formation as against Spurs and a win.

cyberman

Atalanta struggle to a 94th min equaliser today if anybody didn’t know

lenny_1248

Same team, I reckon. Bar Pogba starting and Cavani getting rested (so Rashy starts).
    Will smash them easily.

passing-wind

Same system, two banks of four helps the team defensively. I think the evidence of this United team being an attacking outfit under Solskjaer is dead and buried. Fans need to rid this idea it doesn't work with the manager and staff. Conservative approach has yielded the best results under Ole's tenure. 2-1 United with s dog and bone performance.

FatTails

Stick to the back 3 please. We looked solid. We need to grind out wins if need be and then we can tinker during our easy run of games after Chelsea.

I’d probably rest McFred against Atalanta and have them fresh to run themselves into the ground against City. Similarly give either both or one of Ronaldo and Cavani a rest.

De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    AWB Pogba Matic Shaw
    Bruno
    Rashford Ronaldo​

Mason for Ronaldo at 60 mins and Sancho for Bruno, going to a 3-4-3.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
    I'd love to see Jlingz in that RWB position, maybe competing with Sancho. Jlingz gives me fond memories of crosses to Ibracadabra.

Ole prepping the team for Conte and sticking it to the so called fans that want us to lose at the same time. You love to see it :drool:

Dante

Average bang
    Rashford--Ronaldo
    Bruno
    Shaw--Pogba--McTominay--AWB
    Maguire--Varane--Lindelof
    DDG​

Would be my lineup.

zenith

Just keep a clean sheet. With all that attacking talent in the team, we will easily get a goal

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    Wan Bissaka Pogba Fred Shaw
    Greenwood Cavani Sancho
    Ole never going to play Sancho but I'd think he'd suit it well. I think a key with the 3-4-3 is just rotating the attackers properly - give Sancho and Greenwood some love, rest Bruno for the City game, leave Ronaldo as a sub here if needed as we have City next weekend and he's 36... Pogba has more chance to work in midfield in this system, more defensive cover naturally, so get the right partner. Might not have enough energy if it's Matic next to him IMO, plus Fred can run just fine. Cavani for the experience up top, bring Rashford in against City with Ronaldo and Bruno as his pace will be useful.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    They’ve only beaten Young Boys and Sassuolo at home this season, so it is not exactly a fortress. Three points would break the back of what we need.

sp_107

Against atlanta we dont need 3-5-3, A good 4-3-3 would do...Sancho or Rashford playing close to Ronaldo

-----------------------Ronaldo------------------------------

-----Rashford ----Bruno------------Sancho-----------

-------------Fred--------McTominay---------------------

---Shaw------Maguire-----Varane----------Bissaka

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
    Scout
    Really need a win, don’t think we should be resting anyone.

Bwuk

I would keep the 3 at the back because I think we’ll do it against City. Some minor rotation.

De Gea
    Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
    AWB - Pogba - Matic - Donny - Telles
    Ronaldo - Rashford​

Litch

How depressing if the back 5 his here to stay....

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    I think we should play close to the team that started today. Maybe change either Cavani or Ronaldo for Rashford.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    Same again Ole. I think 532 has to be the system. I like Shaw and AWB as wingbacks, it is ultra defensive but that is what Utd need right now. Ronaldo and Cavani together is obviously the best way to play.

Devil may care

I think we'll stick with the back 7 and continue to rely on the 2 veteran strikers, Pogba will probably play given he's got a 3 match ban in the PL.

BorisManUtd

It should be more or less same starting 11, perhaps 1-2 changes. Really important game, win and we're on verge of passing the group, lose and we make it much more difficult for ourselves. A win would build players' confidence for City game as well.

Red Royal

It should be more or less same starting 11, perhaps 1-2 changes. Really important game, win and we're on verge of passing the group, lose and we make it much more difficult for ourselves. A win would build players' confidence for City game as well.
    Cavani and Fred for Pogba and Rashford. Maybe even Telles for Lindelof with Shaw as the 3rd CB.

Motorman

De Gea
    AWB Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Bruno
    Rashford Ronaldo​

PoTMS

I'd much rather have Shaw as left centre back instead of Maguire and Telles as left wing back. Maybe even Lingard or Sancho.

AFC NimbleThumb

3 @ the back & counter attack to beat the mighty Atalanta. The squad as a whole will suffer further whilst OgS runs this 11 into the ground.

Red00012

Heading over for this one , absolutely buzzing for it now after a rubbish week

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
    Need 4 points from 9 to qualify, roughly the same position as last year and we all saw how that went.

We'll be extremely cautious in this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 69% of 391 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.