Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    I hope to see the same team against this bunch. Utd will get enough chances and should be able to absorb the hastle they get from the Atalanta players. That's the beauty of a Cavani/Ronaldo partnership, they don't need loads of chances. I can't see anything other than a Utd victory. If Utd go ahead early I would like to see Greenwood come on for Ronaldo around the 60 minute mark.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
    Why everyone having AWB in their starting line up, is he done for his 3 match ban? If not:

De Gea
    Dalot Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Bruno
    Rashford Ronaldo
    Will rest Cavani for City game. We can’t ask him to press non stop for 90 mins twice a week.

abailey123

Couple of small rotations however keep the same system

De Gea

Lindelof Varane Maguire

AWB Matic Telles

Bruno Pogba

Ronaldo Rashford

Bruno becomes the right sided forward in attack and Pogba the number 10. This system could be the best way for us to utilise PP

GMoore23

De Gea
    Bailly - Varane - Lindelof
    Dalot - Pogba - VDB - Telles
    Bruno
    Rashford - CR7

dal

Stick to the back 3 please. We looked solid. We need to grind out wins if need be and then we can tinker during our easy run of games after Chelsea.

I’d probably rest McFred against Atalanta and have them fresh to run themselves into the ground against City. Similarly give either both or one of Ronaldo and Cavani a rest.

De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    AWB Pogba Matic Shaw
    Bruno
    Rashford Ronaldo​

Mason for Ronaldo at 60 mins and Sancho for Bruno, going to a 3-4-3.
    Exactly, let’s steady the ship and build that siege mentality.

slored1

How I would line up:

De Gea
    Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
    AWB - Pogba - Fred - Telles
    Sancho - Ronaldo - Fernandes

How I think we'll line up:
    De Gea
    AWB - McTominay - Fred - Shaw
    Rashford - Ronaldo - Fernandes

2-1 Atalanta.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
    Keep the back line together to build further understanding of the system before Saturday.

DDG
    AWB Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw
    Lingard Matic Pogba
    Rashford Ronaldo

Keep Fred and McT fresh for Saturday as we'll need every bit of running they can manage then. I liked the fact Bruno played as a hybrid 8/10 yesterday and think it is possibly one of the only systems that can get the best out of him and Pogba in the same team. Lingard provides the energy in a pretty unmobile midfield though for me in this one.

lenny_1248

Would like to see this (3-4-3): De Gea, Lindelof, Varane, Maguire; AWB, Pogba, Matic, Shaw; Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford.

But obviously Ole won't make so many changes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    De Gea
    AWB - Bruno - Matic - Pogba - Telles
    Rashford - Ronaldo

4 changes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Would like to see this (3-4-3): De Gea, Lindelof, Varane, Maguire; AWB, Pogba, Matic, Shaw; Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford.

Good rotation meant to be minimum changes anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Why everyone having AWB in their starting line up, is he done for his 3 match ban? If not:

De Gea
    Dalot Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Bruno
    Rashford Ronaldo
    Will rest Cavani for City game. We can’t ask him to press non stop for 90 mins twice a week.
    There was no 3 match ban anymore, UEFA accepted our appeal. He played vs Atalanta last match.

DON’T PANIC ™

DDG
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    AWB McTom VDB Shaw
    Sancho CR7 Bruno

This would be my preferred lineup. Cavani was shattered when he came off against Spurs. I’d only use him if we need a goal late on and save him for the City game.

Red_Aaron

I'd start rashford in order to take advantage of their high line however I think Ole will go exactly the same as spurs. And most likely exactly the same again for City.

I'd probably take 0-0 now tbh. We're still rebuilding confidence and a draw means beating YB at home almost certainly puts us through. Clean sheets still the priority for me atm

Bobade

De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    Wan Bissaka Pogba Fred Shaw
    Greenwood Cavani Sancho
    Ole never going to play Sancho but I'd think he'd suit it well. I think a key with the 3-4-3 is just rotating the attackers properly - give Sancho and Greenwood some love, rest Bruno for the City game, leave Ronaldo as a sub here if needed as we have City next weekend and he's 36... Pogba has more chance to work in midfield in this system, more defensive cover naturally, so get the right partner. Might not have enough energy if it's Matic next to him IMO, plus Fred can run just fine. Cavani for the experience up top, bring Rashford in against City with Ronaldo and Bruno as his pace will be useful.
    I like this a lot. Looks fairly solid, good to rest Bruno and makes sense to play Pogs there with him being on a red in the PL. Sancho should link up well with Cavani's movement and it leaves us with plenty of options to bring on from the bench if needs be.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

That’d be a good side, but can’t see ole resting Bruno.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    Wan Bissaka Pogba Fred Shaw
    Greenwood Cavani Sancho
    Ole never going to play Sancho but I'd think he'd suit it well. I think a key with the 3-4-3 is just rotating the attackers properly - give Sancho and Greenwood some love, rest Bruno for the City game, leave Ronaldo as a sub here if needed as we have City next weekend and he's 36... Pogba has more chance to work in midfield in this system, more defensive cover naturally, so get the right partner. Might not have enough energy if it's Matic next to him IMO, plus Fred can run just fine. Cavani for the experience up top, bring Rashford in against City with Ronaldo and Bruno as his pace will be useful.
    feck, that is actually a decent line up! I'd love to see it but I agree with you, very much doubt Ole would go with it

Dan_F

Need 4 points from 9 to qualify, roughly the same position as last year and we all saw how that went.

We'll be extremely cautious in this.
    We haven’t got to play PSG and Leipzig away though, I’m sure we’ll be fine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rashford, Matic, Pogba come into that team at least. We’ve also got a chance to make five subs if we do manage to get a comfortable lead.

Havak

Pokemon master
    De Gea
    Lindelof Varane Maguire
    Wan-Bissaka Pogba Matic Shaw
    Bruno
    Ronaldo Rashford​

Something like this. Make all 5 subs if we can afford the luxury to take off Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Bruno, Ronaldo and probably Rashford.

I think we should try to get Pogba in the side as we're missing him for a couple more league games anyway. Bruno and Ronaldo are surely starting given they were subbed off. Cavani looked spent after 80 minutes so if we want to play the same XI from Spurs against City, it would be nice if Fred, McTominay and Cavani all had a weeks rest.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
    Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
    3 at the back worked well, we looked solid so let’s stick with it. I’d think about using Telles and Dalot as the wingbacks, bit more attacking intent from wide and freshen up Shawberto and AWB For City.
    Think I’d start a front 3 too - Marcus, Jadon and Mason. Keep a clean sheet and play on the counter. A win would be magnificent, a draw wouldn’t be terrible either.

So, 3-4-3 as follows;

De Gea
    Lindelof Varane. Maguire
    Dalot. McSauce Fred Telles
    Sancho Greenwood Rashford

BorisManUtd

Cavani and Fred for Pogba and Rashford. Maybe even Telles for Lindelof with Shaw as the 3rd CB.
    I'd like Telles to start, would be a threat down the left I reckon. Certainly can cross a ball and if we play with 2 strikers then we could be very dangerous that way.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Yeah, against Atalanta. And the old boys back for City. Hopefully we can take off Bruno and Ronnie relatively early against Atalanta. And given the 5 subs, maybe even Varane too.
    Having slept on it, I'd be tempted to get a few other members of the squad involved too. Pogba and Telles seem two obvious choices. Pogba could play in the midfield three, with Bruno moved either up top or any of the other midfielders could be rested. Telles at left wing back would be a good option to target the centre forwards with crosses, resting Shaw or one of the three centre backs. I like the thought of a left-side featuring both Telles and Shaw.

Offsideagain

Atalanta drew yesterday with Lazio who are one place below fifth place Atalanta. I can’t see any high pressing in this one. It will be a soak up pressure job and counter attack with Rashford, Ronaldo and possibly Sancho. I hope Donny gets a game but I doubt it. I reckon he’s gone in January. Might scrape a win.

Litch

Thomas Tuchel seems to be flavour of the month and he plays it. What's the difference? He's top of the PL too.
    Cause I can see Chelsea playing it but Utd? Like you said, flavour of the month but Liverpool and City have been the 'flavour' for a lot longer playing attractive football.

Andersons Dietician

Weird but is this game bigger than the city game? We have no real room for error. Rather win this, be on 9 points, then Villareal away is a whatever game, then young boys at home.

Don’t think we can take this game lightly but then we do have a fantastic squad. I’d be tempted to stick to the 3 at the back. However I’d be tempted to fit in Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood in a 3 and let them run.

Its just where does Bruno fit in or resting him.

DDG
    Lindelof- Varane-Maguire
    Bissaka———Pogba—-Matic——-Shaw
    Greenwood--Rashford—Sancho
    Maybe swap Greenwood for Cavani and stick Rashford on the right.

Gerald G

It won't happen but:

De Gea
    Lindelof--Varane--Maguire
    AWB--Pogba--Fred--Telles
    Sancho--Greenwood--Rashford​

largelyworried

I think we'll play the same formation again, perhaps switching out Cavani for Rashford to give a bit more pace on the counter. You have to think that Atalanta will have more about them than Spurs, who were insipid, so we may get forced a little deeper at times than Spurs ever managed. Rashford's pace could help. Plus leaving out our young attackers (Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood) isn't really a long term option for us.

In terms of the result, I feel pretty sure we'll get at least a draw. I think we've parked the idea of playing football on the front foot for at least this week. Switching out an attacker for a defender is bound to tighten things up really, so I think we'll do that, and given the space they leave you in midfield, you have to feel that Bruno will be good to release a through ball or two for our attackers.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
    Do 3 at the back formations work against 3 at the back formations?

Just asking really? Is there any flaws or not really?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Do 3 at the back formations work against 3 at the back formations?

Just asking really? Is there any flaws or not really?
    No different than playing any mirror.

The free man will always be in defensive positions, so it depends who can bring the ball out of defence the best.

I feel though if try to match Atalanta at a formation they've played over the last few years we will struggle more.

I suspect though Ole will want to keep it tight again, then if we need to we can chase the game with more attacking subs.

We're in a tricky position with City on the weekend, we need to rotate a little IMO.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
    No different than playing any mirror.

The free man will always be in defensive positions, so it depends who can bring the ball out of defence the best.

I feel though if try to match Atalanta at a formation they've played over the last few years we will struggle more.

I suspect though Ole will want to keep it tight again, then if we need to we can chase the game with more attacking subs.

We're in a tricky position with City on the weekend, we need to rotate a little IMO.
    Hmm okay thanks.

I think City might be okay playing a defensive counter game because them not having a forward or just Gabriel Jesus and us playing 3 at the back might have its benefits- it's more about us trying to break them loose and maybe see if we can fit Pogba in etc (but again maybe it's too soon and early to do this, when we have suddenly changed formation).

Maybe we should rotate a bit vs Atalanta and play a 343 with our younger forwards? Not sure if it's the right time to gamble in the CL but again we do have 3 CB'S with players like Varane who should be able to eat up an Atalanta attack quite well hopefully too.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
    We haven’t got to play PSG and Leipzig away though.
    Yeah, we just played Young Boys. And lost.

I wouldn't trust this bunch to go to Villarreal and get a result in a must win game.

Crucial to get the result this GW.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 69% of 391 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.