ATG Draft - Round 1 - 2mufc0 vs Synco (J. Mourinho vs. L. Favre)

Who will win this match (also considering realization of the tactical blueprints)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Team 2mufc0

Inspiration/blueprint
Jose's first Chelsea team (04-06)

Playing style, tactics

Before his United stint Jose Mourinho was an incredible manager who took on some of the best teams and managers of all time and bettered them, sometimes even with lesser teams (e.g RM vs Pep's Barca and his Inter and Porto teams), he also built on and established a resurgent Chelsea team after Roman Abramovich took over.

Mourinho's best teams were pretty dominant, he also knew when to park the plane as he would say and when to just let the hand brake off. In terms of tactics and play style, much like Sir Alex it was pretty simple, direct, pacey and at times physical. However, unlike Sir Alex, Mourinho didn't particularly rely on traditional wing play, although he did utilise wingers he also had no issues with wing forwards and play makers playing out wide (Joe Cole, Robben, Eto'o, Ronaldo, Willian, Hazard etc).

The attacking play didn't have a particular focus, but playing off a centre forward who was good at holding up the ball was a key feature, allowing the wide men and attacking midfielders to push forward and get into goal scoring positions. Pacey wide men were also a feature making them deadly when running into space during counter attacks.

In terms of defence, he normally lined up with two physically dominate central defenders, he also wasn't afraid to use an attacking full back on one side and a more defensive on the other, the goal keeper is required to be a good shot stopper with good reflexes. The midfield normally required bundles of energy and tenacity but he also wasn't averse to playing technical play makers in the middle (Alonso, Motta, Fabregas etc), however a key feature is the attacking midfielder or 8 who is given more freedom to attack and push forward but still required to put a defensive shift in.

A strong spine is essential with organisers/leaders in defence and midfield required as the defensive system was a collective effort for Mourinho teams, keeping it compact with high work rate across the park and then being able to release the ball quickly and directly to the forward line.

The attack was normally spear headed by a more physical centre forward who is good in the air and able to occupy the centre backs allowing surging runs from the B2B midfielders to be more effective. As discussed above the wide men can be both traditional and play making wide-men, however he did expect work rate from all attackers.

Player roles

GK: Gordon Banks
- one of the best goal keepers of all time, great shot stopper and great reflexes.
CB: Jurgen Kohler - Physical, dominant and had some decent pace, an upgrade on John Terry.
CB: Marius Tresor - Like Carvalho a great all round defender, physically imposing but good on the ball.
LB: Ruud Krol - One of the best left backs of all time, was better going forward than Cole but just as good in defence.
RB: Djalma Santos - A bit more defensive than Krol, but can also contribute when going forward as required.
CM: Graeme Souness- Midfield enforcer in front of the defence but also good enough on the ball to pass around from deeper areas, because of his physicality he would be an upgrade on Makelele.
CM: Bernd Schuster - Technically brilliant footballer but also handy in the defensive phase. An all action B2B who is an upgrade on Essien.
CM/AM: Lothar Matthaus - A beast of a midfielder who is totally unleashed here to maximise his attacking potential but also has the work rate to help out in the defensive phase. Frank Lampard was a great player but Matthaus in this system would be a few notches above - which is scary considering what Lampard achieved.
LW: Hristo Stoichkov - Attacking ability wise most would say he's up there with Robben, imo he's better, but offers a bit more work rate so would be home in a Jose team.
RW: Kurt Hamrin - More of a wing-forward/playmaker, an upgrade on Joe Cole here.
CF: Sandor Kocsis - like Drogba good in the area and will keep the opposition CB's on their toes, also better on the ball than the Ivorian so offers that bit more up front.

Team Synco

Inspiration:
Borussia Mönchengladbach's 2014/15 side

Formation:
In possession: fluid 4-2-4-0 with two false 9s up front

Against the ball: disciplined 4-4-2

Playing style & tactics
Extremely versatile - Cruyff football meets Capello discipline - the specific mix depends on the opponent. Against a Mourinho team I expect to play firmly on the possession side of the spectrum.

Principles in possession: rapid one-touch transitions, fluid possession game, constant positional interchanges. Emphasis on orchestrated passing and movement, augmented with speed dribblings and long diagonal balls to shift the game to open spaces.

Principles against the ball: high workrate and discipline throughout the team. In defensive transition, the opponent is pressed to either win back the ball or slow down the counter. Against established opposition possession, the team retreats into their tight defensive 4-4-2 formation. When necessary, this formation can defend very deep, with the opposition game being directed to wide areas through midfield pressing from the forwards.

Player roles:
GK (Yann Sommer) - Libero goalkeeper, important part of pressing avoidance and buildup play.

CBs (Martin Stranzl, Álvaro Domínguez) - Modern CB partnership with equal roles. Anticipation is paramount for shielding a high line, good aerial abilities for a deep 4-4-2. Quarterbacks in possession, moving the ball and initiating attacks with diagonal passes.

RB/LB (Tony Jantschke, Oscar Wendt) - Somewhat asymmetric duo, with Wendt being a wingback with attacking skills, and Jantschke a mobile defensive allrounder (RB/CB/DM) with good technique. But both provide offensive width, and both are disciplined workers within the defensive formation. If one goes up (Wendt more often than Jantschke), the other is likely to remain in a half-covering position.

CMs (Granith Xhaka, Christoph Kramer) - On paper the partnership of a physical DLP and a physical box-to-box player, but in practise they share the various midfield tasks quite equally. Both are allrounders, acting as covering DMs (including wide areas), DLPs, and energetic box-to-box players. They provide steel, balance, a good game flow, and a wide range of action.

RW/LW (Patrick Herrmann, Thorgan Hazard) - Two agile wingers with technical quality and exceptional pace. The principles of positional fluidity means they regularly move to CF positions, where can they link up or finish. Also likely recipients of through balls on the break. Disciplined and tireless workers in all phases of the game - against the ball they counterpress and support their fullbacks in a classic 4-4-2 wing partnership.

CFs (Raffael, Kruse) - Two mobile and agile playmaking forwards. Always on the move and busy, they can fall back into midfield in buildup, creating numerical superiority and moving the ball forward. In the final third they operate wide, in AM, and up high, always in coordination with their fellow attackers. Hardworking first line of defense, can either press the opposition buildup or direct their possession to wide areas.
Players:
GK - Alisson - libero goalkeeper, strong allround goalkeeping skills.

Defense:

CB - Marcel Desailly - complete world class defender, suited for playing in a high line and deep defense. Strong technique, can move the ball forward in transition and possession phases.

CB - Thiago Silva - complete world class defender, proactive interceptor with pace and physical/aerial presence. Elite technique and passing ability.

RB - Mauro Tassotti - the more defensive fullback. Will provide offensive width and attacking runs when good opportunities appear.

LB - Gianluca Zambrotta - the more offensive fullback. Will often move into the LW position to contribute in attack, allowing the forwards to move inside or overload the wing. Expertly covered by Sammer and Thiago Silva when moving up, but will himself provide balance/cover when required.

Central midfield:

DM/CM - Matthias Sammer - all action central midfielder; intelligent tactician, aggressive defender, skilled playmaker, dangerous box to box presence.

DM/CM - Jean Tigana - intelligent, hardworking, very complete midfielder. Great balance between his impressive defensive and offensive skills. Will form a tight partnership with Sammer, each one supporting and balancing out the other.

Front four:

RW - Arjen Robben - unnecessary to say much about his qualities, except that he was much more complete than many people have it. A true total footballer, which is what this system is about. Will constantly interchange positions with the other forwards to break down the opposition defense. Defensively he supports Tassotti or contributes to high pressing.

LW - Franck Ribery - extremely fast wing playmaker/forward who will thrive in this team's fluid attack. His exceptional defensive workrate provides balance for the offensive-minded Zambrotta (who is a capable defender himself).

CF - Kevin Keegan - fast, highly mobile dribbling & playmaking forward. Enormous intensity with and against the ball. Will fall back into midfield in buildup and play all over the final third in attack.

CF - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - technical forward/striker with extensive movement similar to Keegan's. Exceptional dribbling, playmaking and finishing qualities will help create synergies with his fellow attacking players, allowing Rummenigge to play at his best. High workrate against the ball.

Alterations from the original:
Not much; The players were drafted to meet the requirements of the system, which in turn allows them to express themselves. The result should be a cohesive, high-energy unit with 11 men defending and 11 men attacking.

Tigana lacks the aerial presence of Kramer, but Sammer and both CBs are more than comfortable defending high balls.

Good luck @2mufc0 @Synco!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Really good team, @2mufc0 - I'll have to look into the details to see if I can trouble you.

First question would be on your general approach - How defensive was that Mourinho side in encounters against top teams?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Really good team, @2mufc0 - I'll have to look into the details to see if I can trouble you.

First question would be on your general approach - How defensive was that Mourinho side in encounters against top teams?
Thanks! and good luck to you too.

In terms of results it's but of a mixed big, in the bigger games in the PL he did normally come out on top but the margins were much closer (1-2 goals) and from what i recall he was focused on counter attack football, here are the results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Chelsea_F.C._season#Results_by_round

But in the CL the first 2 knockout games were more open (scoring 11 goals in 4 games), but it depends on the circumstances, if behind or home in a 2 legged tie he was more attacking.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
from what i recall was focused on counter attack football
Me too, when I think of Mourinho's Chelsea, I think of a tight-knit defense and transition attacks. Especially in top games. But I didn't follow them a lot back then.

I'm specifically asking because Favre's Gladbach was extremely versatile and could line up very differently against different opponents. (I'll write something about that.) So if we want to imagine the game flow, we'd have to clarify that, because my approach depends on yours.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Schuster is a bit of a weird substitution for Essien and I feel that Hamrin won't work hard enough for Jose. He was pretty much non-existent aside from a few times per game when he decided to turn up and go on a mazing run or to score (which he did surprisingly frequently). As a team in an isolation, it's beautiful, but I think Jose can become a bit frustrated with it.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Me too, when I think of Mourinho's Chelsea, I think of a tight-knit defense and transition attacks. Especially in top games. But I didn't follow them a lot back then.

I'm specifically asking because Favre's Gladbach was extremely versatile and could line up very differently against different opponents. (I'll write something about that.) So if we want to imagine the game flow, we'd have to clarify that, because my approach depends on yours.
I'll be completely honest here, my knowledge of Favre at Gladbach is limited so look forward to more info. I know him more from his current Dortmund teams, shaky at the back but pretty good going forward.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Synco I can see how the team can defend from the front - and no better a pair than Keegan and Rummenigge to do just that - but how do Favre's false 9s operate on the ball? Is it about overloads and interplay on the deck like the vast majority of false 9s or is it more direct in the manner your front two would be more accustomed to?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I pictured Schuster playing the Lanmpard role and Lothar playing the Essien role when I saw the squad.

I think this is a blueprint of Jose's Madrid team with Xabi from deep rather than the Chelsea team.

Like the other version better.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'll be completely honest here, my knowledge of Favre at Gladbach is limited so look forward to more info. I know him more from his current Dortmund teams, shaky at the back but pretty good going forward.
I'll do my best. I'll start out with a few Favre quotes.

A brief overview on the tactical history of Lucien Favre's Mönchengladbach team
„We don't have only one plan - you have to have a plan A, plan, B, plan C in a game. You have to anticipate that, there are several phases to a game.“

"We are good in buildup, in power play, in pressing, on the counter. We train many variants."

"We play 4-4-2, but our system is still flexible. Sometimes we play 3-5-2 after ten minutes, or 3-3-4, sometimes 3-6-1 as well. We play everything."
Lucien Favre
At their peak in 2014/15, Favre's Gladbach was one of the most uniquely versatile teams I've ever seen. They could beat Bayern with a deep defense/transition block Atletico-style, and they could dominate other teams with intricate possession football.

It becomes understandable when looking at the history of Favre's Gladbach stint:

It all began when, in early 2011, Favre took over a Gladbach side that was as good as relegated. Not only because of the points deficit, but because the team was frankly a mess.
Everybody settled for a rebuild in the 2nd Bundesliga. But Gladbach beat Schalke in Favre's first game at the helm, he quickly managed to stabilize the defense in a rock-solid 4-4-2, and stopped the constant stream of conceded goals. After a miraculous rescue, Favre started to build a fierce counter-attacking unit on top of that, operating on passing triangles and precise short passing, but also a lot of verticality. Gladbach sensationally reached the CL qualification one year later, the young Marco Reus becoming the German POTY, and Gladbach was dubbed „Borussia Barcelona“:

But Favre, an avid Cruyff admirer, had more in mind. Over time, he expanded on the already impressive passing capabilities his team had developed, and added more and more possession elements. The highly mobile and flexible forward duo Raffael/Kruse was one of the key aspects.

This process was interrupted by sales of key players and several rebuilds, but the 2014/15 team was finally a complete side that combined all the traits of Gladbach's former incarnations with quality possession football. So transition and possession elements could be mixed as needed, both between games and within a game. And while Gladbach never was an all-out pressing side, its use increased over time, enabling them to play dominantly.

This is best illustrated when looking at the extremes, the 2014/15 home games against Bayern and Sevilla.
Gladbach vs Bayern: deep 4-4-2 / counter strategy, 28% possession, 379 vs 823 passes (77% pass success rate - still good)
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/8...a-2014-2015-Bayern-Munich-Borussia-M-Gladbach

Gladbach vs Sevilla: dominant football and higher pressing, 75% possession, 800 vs 256 passes (90% pass success rate, while playing many attacking passes)
https://1xbet.whoscored.com/Matches...-League-2014-2015-Borussia-M-Gladbach-Sevilla
(They lost that game, but the point here is the playing style.)
So the question what this team will do in this draft match hinges on what the game situation demands. Offensive & dominant when possible, reactive & counterattacking when necessary. If @2mufc0 plays deep and on the counter, it will lean more towards the second example.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco I can see how the team can defend from the front - and no better a pair than Keegan and Rummenigge to do just that - but how do Favre's false 9s operate on the ball? Is it about overloads and interplay on the deck like the vast majority of false 9s or is it more direct in the manner your front two would be more accustomed to?
I'd say both, but leaning more towards the overload side. But I'd also say the passing schemes were very direct in themselves, in order to create intensity & breakthroughs. Partly because even in their most advanced incarnation, Gladbach always retained the characteristics of a transition side, not so much a tiki-taka one.

The video in the OP & the "Borussia Barcelona" one a post above show that fusion very well.

And, importantly, individualistic elements were always a crucial part of the equation:
„Strong dribbling ability makes the difference. Just look at Arjen Robben or Franck Ribery - they have it, no matter if in one-vs-one or one-vs-two situations. A player who eliminates two opponents with a dribbling, and then plays a fine pass, that's the point of the collective. For me it's important to have players who can dribble, because they can make a difference at every point of time. To make a difference only with passes is almost impossible.“

Lucien Favre, 2017
...enter Robben, Ribery, Keegan, and Rummenigge

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Maybe we can get continue the tactical matchup stuff later on. As for now, I just want to point to a few player selection that don't seem ideal.

Not saying players have to be carbon copys, but the original ones had certain functions that were crucial to the setup. Especially thinking of these two:

Schuster - Essien
Probably the biggest departure from the original. I'm not denying that Schuster had a good workrate, but Essien was one of the most exceptional physical box-to-box powerhouses ever. Which includes, as I remember, his speed. Schuster can't really bring that to the table, meaning a crucial piece of dynamicism that helped Mourinho close down the middle & overwhelm the opponent in transition is missing here. (I thought Matthäus would be a great upgrade for Essien. But he's equally good for the Lampard role, it's just Matthäus.)

To be clear, Schuster wasn't a slouch and obviously had his own exceptional qualities, so it's not that I want to put him down or something. It's more a question of synergy in regard to the mid-2000s Mourinho team.

Kocsis - Drogba
First of all, as I know Kocsis, he's a very good link-up player and an absolute ace in the air. So certainly a man for a lone CF role in principle. But he doesn't strike me as having the physical traits of a typical Mourinho CF - the benchmark for this Chelsea team of course being Drogba. I'd say that if you aren't of that calibre, Desailly and Thiago Silva will dominate you in physical duels. Which can make the whole offense stutter, as its central link doesn't work as well as it should.

Can't say much about Hamrin in a Mourinho team, but I'll gladly take harm's assessment for opportunist reasons :nervous:
(Still interested to hear what you expect of him, 2mufc0.)

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe we can get continue the tactical matchup stuff later on. As for now, I just want to point to a few player selection that don't seem ideal.

Not saying players have to be carbon copys, but the original ones had certain functions that were crucial to the setup. Especially thinking of these two:

Schuster - Essien
Probably the biggest departure from the original. I'm not denying that Schuster had a good workrate, but Essien was one of the most exceptional physical box-to-box powerhouses ever. Which includes, as I remember, his speed. Schuster can't really bring that to the table, meaning a crucial piece of dynamicism that helped Mourinho close down the middle & overwhelm the opponent in transition is missing here. (I thought Matthäus would be a great upgrade for Essien. But he's equally good for the Lampard role, it's just Matthäus.)

To be clear, Schuster wasn't a slouch and obviously had his own exceptional qualities, so it's not that I want to put him down or something. It's more a question of synergy in regard to the mid-2000s Mourinho team.

Kocsis - Drogba
First of all, as I know Kocsis, he's a very good link-up player and an absolute ace in the air. So certainly a man for a CF role in principle. But he doesn't strike me as having the physical traits of a typical Mourinho CF - the benchmark for this Chelsea team of course being Drogba. I'd say that if you aren't of that calibre, Desailly and Thiago Silva will dominate you in physical duels. Which can make the whole offense stutter, as its central link doesn't work as well as it should.

Can't say much about Hamrin in a Mourinho team, but I'll gladly take harm's assessment for opportunist reasons :nervous:
Aye, Schuster is a bit of an odd fit. Funny thing is either of the two midfielders on the pitch for 2mufc0 would do a good job in that position :lol:

On the flipside I do like Matthaus a lot in that role and is a great upgrade on Lampard.

Can't really get my head around your team to be honest so will read up your tactics a little bit later. But straight off the bat Keegan and Kalle aren't really your typical playmaking forwards, or at least if I can put it better - there are lots of other options that fit the description better IMO. On the flipside as I whole I do like your wings and that base - nice to see Sammer in this role.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Schuster - Essien

Kocsis - Drogba
First of all, as I know Kocsis, he's a very good link-up player and an absolute ace in the air. So certainly a man for a lone CF role in principle. But he doesn't strike me as having the physical traits of a typical Mourinho CF - the benchmark for this Chelsea team of course being Drogba. I'd say that if you aren't of that calibre, Desailly and Thiago Silva will dominate you in physical duels. Which can make the whole offense stutter, as its central link doesn't work as well as it should.

Yes i would agree they are not like for like but imo it wouldn't disrupt the system significantly, whilst Kocsis is not as strong physically he is much better with his feet so can link up in different ways, as for in the air - I would back him against any defender even strong guys like Desailly. Point taken about Schuster, but i think he's fine here, Joga did a good compilation here worth checking out how involved he is in both ends:

Although i can definitely see the argument for switching with Matthaus, but giving Lothar a licence to just bomb forward was hard to resist. In fact all 3 of the midfielders are quite interchangeable which helps.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can't really get my head around your team to be honest so will read up your tactics a little bit later.
Seems to be the case for more people. Probably not too surprising when it comes to a team most haven't seen themselves.

Will see what I can put together beyond what I've written so far.
But straight off the bat Keegan and Kalle aren't really your typical playmaking forwards, or at least if I can put it better - there are lots of other options that fit the description better IMO.
Probably depends on what "playmaking" means. The false nine moniker seems to have steered imaginations in a certain direction, and understandably so. I meant it more in the sense of roaming forwards/half-strikers who can contribute in various areas of the field, rather than flat out playmakers. For example, for the higher CF role I'd rather have Suárez/Eto'o than Messi for this team player-type wise.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yes i would agree they are not like for like but imo it wouldn't disrupt the system significantly, whilst Kocsis not as strong physically he is much better with his feet so can link up in different ways, as for in the air - i'd back him against any defender even strong guys like Desailly. Point taken about Schuster, but i think he's fine here, Joga did a good compilation here worth checking out how involved in both ends:

Although i can definitely see the argument for switching with Matthaus, but giving Lothar a licence to just bomb forward was hard to resist. In fact all 3 of the midfielders are quite interchangeable which helps.
Yeah, it certainly alters the setup, but he also brings serious stuff to the table. I just have to pick on something here.

Perhaps this midfield can be best replicated with 3x Matthäus, the later libero version as DM :D

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can't really get my head around your team to be honest so will read up your tactics a little bit later.
Here's an overview on the basic tactical concepts with illustrations, along the 4 basic phases of the game.
(Screenshots: Gladbach in black.)

1. Defensive phase
basic 4-4-2 shape, possession is directed to the outside

midfield pressing to corner the opponent

2. Offensive transition
fluid counterattacks, fast ball circulation, getting into free spaces asap, then instant verticality

(Example for a very direct counterattack; more short-passing-based ones in the videos above)

3. Possession phase
various formations, fluid positioning [example here: situational 3-4-3]

controlled but swift ball circulation - getting the opposition defense to move & adapt - verticality as soon as openings appear

4. Defensive transition
a) initial counterpressing

b) retreat into basic 4-4-2 shape when ball is not won

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Great stuff @Synco !

Is it me or the defensive line and approach against Bayern looks a lot like what Cholo does at Atletico? A bit of a low block with 2 lines in a flat back four, pushing the opposition to the side and when the ball is recovered try a long ball or quick transitions and vertical movement.

In that sense Ribery / Robben is a great fit, whilst I also can understand the inclusion of Desailly at CB.

The "playmaking" word describing the forwards is probably a bit misleading to be honest and the big conundrum when you initially glance at the team sheet.

From my understanding it's a free roaming and fluid forward duo that goes into channels and drops deep to help the midfield. In playmaking sense you'd expect the forward to drop back so he can dictate play from deep - get the ball, try to pass through or generally recycle possession. In your case, and from what I can gather, the job of the forwards is to look for spaces and their strength is more off the ball movement, rather than with it and actively participating in the final third when on the ball.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Great stuff @Synco !

Is it me or the defensive line and approach against Bayern looks a lot like what Cholo does at Atletico? A bit of a low block with 2 lines in a flat back four, pushing the opposition to the side and when the ball is recovered try a long ball or quick transitions and vertical movement.

In that sense Ribery / Robben is a great fit, whilst I also can understand the inclusion of Desailly at CB.
Agree, I made an Atletico reference myself in post #10. Transition may generally be a bit more "Dutch" style, but verticality is always the aim.

Desailly is of course well suited to a deep defense, but his ability to proactively control space and his competence on the ball are underrated, imo. All of this is why he was my #1 pick.
The "playmaking" word describing the forwards is probably a bit misleading to be honest and the big conundrum when you initially glance at the team sheet.
Yes, if I had to write the OP again, I'd take a good look at how I word their role.
From my understanding it's a free roaming and fluid forward duo that goes into channels and drops deep to help the midfield. In playmaking sense you'd expect the forward to drop back so he can dictate play from deep - get the ball, try to pass through or generally recycle possession. In your case, and from what I can gather, the job of the forwards is to look for spaces and their strength is more off the ball movement, rather than with it and actively participating in the final third when on the ball.
That's certainly an important part of what they'll do.

But they also can and will drop deeper in buildup, to counteract the natural disadvantage of the 4-4-2 shape, especially Keegan. A good part of this video shows him doing the exact things Raffael would do in possession far away from goal:

The inclination towards quick passing & movement shown here can also easily be connected to the video in the OP, imo.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Schuster is a bit of a weird substitution for Essien and I feel that Hamrin won't work hard enough for Jose. He was pretty much non-existent aside from a few times per game when he decided to turn up and go on a mazing run or to score (which he did surprisingly frequently). As a team in an isolation, it's beautiful, but I think Jose can become a bit frustrated with it.
Aye, it's a wonderful team in it's own right but feels slightly off for an ideal Jose scheme. Matthaus is probably the best possible choice for a Mourinho AM, but I'd have preferred Souness in the Essien role and a more basic DM in the Deschamps/Mauro Silva mould anchoring. From the odd match that I've seen of Hamrin I'd agree that a more active, industrious right-sided forward would fit better than Hamrin. Having a strangely tough time thinking of an ideal candidate, but Reus keeps coming to mind, although he seemed to prefer either playing from the left or centrally. Kocsis doesn't seem a bad fit here, but again I'd have leaned towards a more physical, selfless type there - Bettega, Hughes, Weah maybe, with Seeler as the deluxe, vote-winning option?

I'll admit that I always think of his initial Chelsea side and to a lesser extent Inter as the Mourinho blueprint, with his Madrid stint being more of an uneasy compromise than his ideal, so I realise I'm being unfair to 2mufc0 here.

harms

Staff
I'll admit that I always think of his initial Chelsea side and to a lesser extent Inter as the Mourinho blueprint, with his Madrid stint being more of an uneasy compromise than his ideal, so I realise I'm being unfair to 2mufc0 here.
Well, he himself had chosen Chelsea as his reference point.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
To finally sum up how I see the matchup, and my game plan:

Against a Mourinho team, I expect a plus of possession on my side, and a good chunk of the action in the opposition half. So there are two basic tasks:

1) creating openings by forcing the opposition defense to constantly move and adapt
2) controlling opposition counters

Playing style, tactics, and personnel are well suited for both tasks, imo:

Constant movement is the best way to unsettle a Mourinho defense, and the front four will thrive in such an environment. I think some of the changes in 2mufc0's team (certainly Schuster, perhaps Hamrin) have made it a tad less watertight than the original, which may give an extra bit of space and time to play through them.

Counter protection should work well (usually Desailly - Thiago Silva - Tassotti and one of Sammer/Tigana, with bursts of counterpressing up front). I'm not seeing Kocsis excel when it comes to fulfilling Drogba's tasks against this defending unit, which will lessen the counter threat a good deal.

This situation shows the pressing, fluid attack & counter protection concept in a nutshell:

harms

Staff
Another game when I'm torn between a stronger team and a better replica. Perhaps if it was Real Madrid and not Chelsea that 2mufc0 was going to emulate, I'd probably go with him. As it stands now — Schuster/Essien, Hamrin & Kocsis/Drogba (I thought about it, but didn't say anything) seem like a weird choices, even though it can be argued that they are at least equals (more like upgrades) in every comparison.

Kocsis was not a physically dominant Drogba-esque presence, but rather a very mobile and elusive forward with great heading ability (and link up play).

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Surely Schuster is easily more skillful and impactful in the attacking phase or final third as compared to Matthaus?
That was the main reasoning behind it really, plus I rate Schuster as a b2b.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Another game when I'm torn between a stronger team and a better replica. Perhaps if it was Real Madrid and not Chelsea that 2mufc0 was going to emulate, I'd probably go with him. As it stands now — Schuster/Essien, Hamrin & Kocsis/Drogba (I thought about it, but didn't say anything) seem like a weird choices, even though it can be argued that they are at least equals (more like upgrades) in every comparison.

Kocsis was not a physically dominant Drogba-esque presence, but rather a very mobile and elusive forward with great heading ability (and link up play).
Disagree, but that's OK.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah, it certainly alters the setup, but he also brings serious stuff to the table. I just have to pick on something here.

Perhaps this midfield can be best replicated with 3x Matthäus, the later libero version as DM :D
That's the thing about Matthäus, you can put him anywhere I guess :lol:. Put it this way I understand the criticism but don't fully agree with it.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Ooh, got close in the end.

Congrats @2mufc0, very strong team. As I said, nitpicking is kind of what we do, but in reality zero complaints about your side advancing. Good luck for the next round!

That Gladbach team is probably my favourite side ever, and I was looking to do it in a draft for at least a year or so. Drafted strictly after profiles, and 85% happy with how the team turned out.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Congrats @2mufc0, very strong team. As I said, nitpicking is kind of what we do, but in reality zero complaints about your side advancing. Good luck for the next round!

That Gladbach team is probably my favourite side ever, and I was looking to do it in a draft for at least a year or so. Drafted strictly after profiles, and 85% happy with how the team turned out.
You did a great job at explaining that Gladbach side. They looked a really entertaining style. I love how direct they were. And now for the normal question, how would you line up an all-time Favre side?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Thanks mate, you are unlucky to go out like this, i think tactically you were good and i learned a few things about that Gladbach side. I'll take the feedback on board and can understand most comments but don't fully agree on some things though, i will have a rethink for the next round.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thanks mate, you are unlucky to go out like this, i think tactically you were good and i learned a few things about that Gladbach side. I'll take the feedback on board and can understand most comments but don't fully agree on some things though, i will have a rethink for the next round.
Thanks, appreciate that. Since Mou had quite a few different sides over his career, I guess there are a number of possibilities for future rounds.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
You did a great job at explaining that Gladbach side. They looked a really entertaining style. I love how direct they were.
Thanks, yeah that mix of directness and well internalized Dutch/Spanish elements is what I love so much about them.
And now for the normal question, how would you line up an all-time Favre side?
:D

In a way there's no typical Favre side, as a part of its character is always shaped by the players he inherits, which then is built upon. That's where Gladbach's 4-4-2 originated from as well. And he has played practically every type of player with every kind of size in every position over his career. They have to have certain basic talents of course, and he also has preferences in some areas (playing with a back four, for example).

But my personal dream team for this draft would look like this:
Central defense & front four remain the same. Redondo/Schweinsteiger is an almost inch-perfect replica of Xhaka/Kramer (including the stronger foot), but both fullbacks are more of a fusion between Wendt and Jantschke.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Synco , good job on selling the team which is what forced me to change the vote.

The phases and transitions post in particular was really impressive.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco , good job on selling the team which is what forced me to change the vote.

The phases and transitions post in particular was really impressive.
Thanks, I noticed your switch, it even caused a wee bit of excitement towards the end.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thanks, I noticed your switch, it even caused a wee bit of excitement towards the end.
I couldn't pull the trigger at the end and thought it was a draw. To me 2mufc0 had the better side/players that probably takes the game if we are looking at it as a one off game, but IMO your team replica was better and well thought of. At first I didn't quite grasp the use of those 2 roaming forwards but at the end and after the discussion they were really good fits and Kalle/Keegan as a combo would work regardless of the theme, so kudos for that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I couldn't pull the trigger at the end and thought it was a draw. To me 2mufc0 had the better side/players that probably takes the game if we are looking at it as a one off game, but IMO your team replica was better and well thought of. At first I didn't quite grasp the use of those 2 roaming forwards but at the end and after the discussion they were really good fits and Kalle/Keegan as a combo would work regardless of the theme, so kudos for that.
The thing is, I genuinely think this team is actually stronger with Ribery, Keegan, Alisson than it would be with Dzajic, Zico, Yashin, or many other players of that calibre.

So draft choices were not a case of sacrificing quality for conceptual purity - they were about significantly increasing quality through the collective. When everything clicked, Favre's Gladbach elevated its players' performance level significantly. Mediocre to good, good to borderline elite. But things must click 100% to achieve that effect, and you only get that if every puzzle piece is right.

I could write a post of its own about the 11/12 and 14/15 sides' phenomenal record against BL top teams (managers include Klopp, Heynckes, Pep), and the amount of players who had their career high under Favre, or even scratched at/reached elite level.

Simply put, the aim here was to recreate the same dynamic, but with world class players. It's of course hard to sell, but I'm convinced this team would achieve that, and be able to beat teams with (on paper) stronger individuals.

Last edited: