Athletics World Championships 2019

freeurmind

weak willed
No thread on this? Currently going on in Doha. Women's marathon was run at midnight yesterday with many of the favourites failing to finish. Ruth Chepngetich won, never heard of her before with Chelimo second. A bit of excitement in my part of the world with Helaria Johannes taking bronze, good on her.

Men's 100m final to come tonight.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Really feel for the marathon runners. No fecks given for their welfare or to help them optimise their performance in awful long distance running conditions.

Regarding the 100m tonight. Are people expecting a Coleman/Gatlin shootout for gold? Or is there anyone else to look out for?

Majorly excited to see what Dina Asher-Smith can produce. With no Shaunie Miller in the 200m, she has a great chance of winning that. Jamaicans might be too much for her in the 100m though.

freeurmind

weak willed
You've got Simbine and Cisse to look out for who've run well this season but it really should be between those two.
Felt for the marathon runners as well.

Dan

Looking forward to the new mixed 4 x 400m relay, should be interesting.

Dan

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce just done a 10.80s in the first heat. :eek:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
They’re showing it on the Olympic channel here, which I haven’t bought :(
Feckers! Should be free to view.

Edit; found a short airing on NBC, free to air. Thank feck for that.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce just done a 10.80s in the first heat. :eek:
Yeah, looks the favourite, although going that fast in the first round is a little unnecessary.
Really feel for the marathon runners. No fecks given for their welfare or to help them optimise their performance in awful long distance running conditions.

Regarding the 100m tonight. Are people expecting a Coleman/Gatlin shootout for gold? Or is there anyone else to look out for?

Majorly excited to see what Dina Asher-Smith can produce. With no Shaunie Miller in the 200m, she has a great chance of winning that. Jamaicans might be too much for her in the 100m though.
Aye expect her to go close in the 200m, great chance for her.

Coleman looks a couple of tenths quicker than anyone. Can see him running 9.75-9.80 tonight.

Dan

Not sure if I like the mixed 4 x 400m, maybe it could be improved by randomising the running order.

Dan

Good long jump competition this. That 8.95m world record is something else though, can remember watching it live on TV back in 1991

I’m sure Steve Backley said on the commentary about changing to a virtual take off board next year, does that mean no more fouls? Can’t find any reference to this change though.

0le

How can an athlete miss THREE drugs tests and still be allowed to compete? Have I missed something here? 100m a total let down for me.

lsd

The Oracle
How can an athlete miss THREE drugs tests and still be allowed to compete? Have I missed something here? 100m a total let down for me.

First time iv not watched it and glad i did.

There is no way you can trust Coleman is clean as you say and add Gatlin proving at 37 yrs that the effects of doping last forever this is a dead sport now

Dan

Given that there’s no morning sessions, the Decathlon and Heptathlon will be even more gruelling than they already are.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
First time iv not watched it and glad i did.

There is no way you can trust Coleman is clean as you say and add Gatlin proving at 37 yrs that the effects of doping last forever this is a dead sport now
Feel it’s only a matter of time before Coleman gets banned. Only my opinion but it’s sad that I’d even think that.

0le

Given that there’s no morning sessions, the Decathlon and Heptathlon will be even more gruelling than they already are.
Hopefully KJT (Katarina Johnson-Thompson) can challenge for a medal and at least try and compete for gold. At least whenever I've seen her, she hasn't seemed quite there yet mentally but she seems a great athlete. Hate that stupid advert she is in though! :P

0le

So for those interested,

7.20pm - women 200m semi final
7.45pm - men triple jump final
8.35pm - men 4X400m final - potential GB medal
9.20pm - women 100m final - potential GB medal if through to final

0le

Dina Asher-Smith in the 100m final, with a genuine chance of a medal here.

She gets a silver!

Last edited:

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
The stadium is deserted. Its worse than the emptyhad. Much worse.
It's awful. The IAAF have let the athletes down big time. These amazing performers should have the grandest of stages (or at least a nation who gives a feck) to showcase their talents. Annoys me so much.

0le

It's awful. The IAAF have let the athletes down big time. These amazing performers should have the grandest of stages (or at least a nation who gives a feck) to showcase their talents. Annoys me so much.
Yup. Three great events today 200m final, triple jump final and pole vaught. I enjoyed the mixed relays too.

Dan

Good triple jump competition today, just shows how good that 18.29m World Record is though when tonight’s winning jump is 17.92m.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Karsten Warholm tomorrow evening at 21.40. 400m hurdles.

That's right, screw football.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Terrible that a young Brit can run the race of her life and celebrate in front of one man and his dog. Should be the most amazing day of her life so far and should have been doing her lap of honour with a crowd packed to the rafters.

Hopefully the World Cup is not as abysmal as this as the crowd is such a big part of any sporting event whether football, rugby, athletics or even professional wrestling.

Guy Incognito

Why on earth is this staged in Doha at this time of the athletics season? Not just empty seats but the energy consumption is ridiculous.

The World Cup will be hideous. :(

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good triple jump competition today, just shows how good that 18.29m World Record is though when tonight’s winning jump is 17.92m.
It’s an outstanding record. It’s only over the last few years that a group of jumpers have emerged capable of breaking 18m. Before this current lot nobody got within a foot of Edwards record since the 1990s.

Crustanoid

Watching the highlight programme.

I thought empty stadiums was stretching it. I’ve never seen anything like this-except for when football teams do something wrong and have to close doors.

How much has it cost them?

And not just money, the cost of life in terms of the stadium being built?

The athletes have trained all year and this is the pinnacle for them

If the World Cup ends up being anything like this it will be a joke. The organising bodies have a lot to answer for

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Couldn't agree with you more. Compare and contrast London 2012. The crowds were big and the atmosphere was brilliant.
I hope that they learn for the WC.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Jonathan Edwards was a brilliantly gifted athlete. I remember him setting those two world records.
His style was perfect and he seemed to glide over the runway. Everything was in sync with no wasted effort.
When he was interviewed after he said that he was in the zone and jumped without having to think about it.
Top man.

Member 39557

It’s an outstanding record. It’s only over the last few years that a group of jumpers have emerged capable of breaking 18m. Before this current lot nobody got within a foot of Edwards record since the 1990s.
Christian Olsson was as close as the current crop.