Television Atlanta (TV Show)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Episode 4 was a strange one, I never know how to take some of them, whether to laugh or he's sending a message in a way, guess that's the beauty of it.
I knew the direction they were going to go with it, but it was interesting that they had a character just directly (and eloquently) spell it out for the audience. Procrastinate til it's too late.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Was so good again.

I love the way they drop messages in such a blatant way, that has humour & yet is so spot on.
I'm really not sure I'm a fan of this totally disjointed style, only a thread of continuity between each episode, but the episode itself was so sharp. The one-liners are amazing this season too.

choccy77

The fecking Nigerian food truck made me cringe :lol:
Haha yeah, you could see it coming a mile off as well.

They filmed season 4 back to back so once these 10 are done, I hope we don't have to wait till next year for it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
fecking died when I realised it was Chet Hanks at the funeral :lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Guys, no spoilers but I just started watching this show.

I absolutely loved season 1 but couldn't get into season 2. It just wasnt my style so o stopped.

Is season 3 similar to season 1 or more like season 2?

Dante

Average bang

I absolutely loved season 1 but couldn't get into season 2. It just wasnt my style so o stopped.

Season 1 was a bit more of a traditional comedy narrative with little bits of surrealism thrown in here and there.

Season 2 then goes much deeper into the surreal.

Season 3 is slightly less extreme than last season, but still closer to 2 than 1.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Season 1 was a bit more of a traditional comedy narrative with little bits of surrealism thrown in here and there.

Season 2 then goes much deeper into the surreal.

Season 3 is slightly less extreme than last season, but still closer to 2 than 1.

Hmm okay I might have to pass for now. I get it's some skilled writing but I honestly enjoyed the light hearted comedy -- something to unwind after a long day.

choccy77

Hmm okay I might have to pass for now. I get it's some skilled writing but I honestly enjoyed the light hearted comedy -- something to unwind after a long day.
If you want to watch unskilled writing, there's always Picard

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Latest episode was great.

The two kids doing Stankonia in the background of the auditions :lol:

cafecillos

Finished the season, I thought it was awesome, very creative and unpredictable. I love the absolutely over-the-top and absurd, but at the same time sort of streamlined, storylines, not to mention the mostly fantastic cast; even Candice, which seemed to be a relatively irrelevant and clichéd character was brilliant in ep 10. I saw eps 8 to 10 back to back and was left speechless and utterly puzzled, which, for relatively mainstream tv, is basically the best compliment you can throw around.

GBBQ

Season 3 finally up on Disney+ just the 2 episodes so far though which is disappointing

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Great season. Paper Boi is amazing, in fact the entire cast are, but every scene he was in was just phenomenally funny or poignant. I kept getting distracted by how beautiful Zazie Beetz is but what a performance from her, especially that last episode.

The continuity was weird, though. Jumping from Amsterdam to London and then back, and that annoying hairline dude turning up in the ghost theatre episode (even thought it was meant to be another country?) and then never coming back was strange. But I can see why they mixed the order around narratively and because the show is so well written it wasn’t a problem.

Glorio

Exactly with you there, that overt surrealism is just not my thing. Felt it lost it warmth in season 2 and gave up

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I didn’t enjoy season 3 as much as previous seasons. I thought the plot was too unconventional & felt like Black Mirror. The performances were very good, particularly Van & Paper Boi.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You lot are just parroting the same opinion.

I loved season 3, I quickly accepted what they were trying to do with it. I think it had the most memorable episodes so far.

• The two lesbian mums based on a true story
  • Paper Boys drug trip
  • Reperations
  • Van's arc - frustrating at first but with a good conclusion
I was confused by what they were trying to do with the English guy with a bad hairline though.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
You lot are just parroting the same opinion.

I loved season 3, I quickly accepted what they were trying to do with it. I think it had the most memorable episodes so far.

• The two lesbian mums based on a true story
  • Paper Boys drug trip
  • Reperations
  • Van's arc - frustrating at first but with a good conclusion
I was confused by what they were trying to do with the English guy with a bad hairline though.
How am I parroting my reality? :lol:

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Ridiculously good finale after a last season that was hit after hit after hit. I'm very surprised it didn't get bumped.

A gem of a series all around. Spot on direction. Unforgettable dialog. Insanely good acting with names that came to prominence within the series 6 year/4 season run. Poignant topics dealt with realism, absurdism and satire, sometimes at the same time.

Anyway, after that finale I might want to binge the whole thing all over again. Quoting Darius: "You have a great spirit. Thanks for sharing your time with me".

Anybody on the same page? Can we start posting random quotes from the show rn?

pascell

Ridiculously good finale after a last season that was hit after hit after hit. I'm very surprised it didn't get bumped.

A gem of a series all around. Spot on direction. Unforgettable dialog. Insanely good acting with names that came to prominence within the series 6 year/4 season run. Poignant topics dealt with realism, absurdism and satire, sometimes at the same time.

Anyway, after that finale I might want to binge the whole thing all over again. Quoting Darius: "You have a great spirit. Thanks for sharing your time with me".

Anybody on the same page? Can we start posting random quotes from the show rn?
One of my favourite series ever, Donald Glover is just ridiculously talented all round and the other actors/actresses are all fantastic in this.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The previous season kinda killed my enthusiasm for it a bit.
I think I'd have preferred the separated vignette episodes to be their own mini-series rather than interrupting the flow of the main story.
I'll start taking a look at this final season soon.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
The previous season kinda killed my enthusiasm for it a bit.
I think I'd have preferred the separated vignette episodes to be their own mini-series rather than interrupting the flow of the main story.
I'll start taking a look at this final season soon.
The final season only has one anthology episode and it's probably the best one, so I strongly recommend you do. Anyway, for all the divisiveness the 3rd season caused it ends in a really high note as New Jazz and Tarrare are a treat.

cafecillos

Just finished it. Absolutely fantastic show and by all means one of my favourites ever. The Goofy mockumentary was just incredible, and I'm doubtful we'll see something that brilliant ever again.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So what actually happened in end?

1. Van and Earn go off to LA, Alvin lives on a farm and Darius just lives his life of random adventures

2. It was all a dream in Darius' head and Atlanta never actually happened which explains why it was so weird

3. Earn, Van and Alvin had all died and Darius was remembering them in the sensory deprivation tank.

Earn and Van died during the camping trip, perhaps the guy at the beginning really was a killer and Alvin died in the tractor accident.

Darius was confronting people from his past during the episode and these were people he had perhaps lost.

NotThatSoph

So what actually happened in end?

1. Van and Earn go off to LA, Alvin lives on a farm and Darius just lives his life of random adventures

2. It was all a dream in Darius' head and Atlanta never actually happened which explains why it was so weird

3. Earn, Van and Alvin had all died and Darius was remembering them in the sensory deprivation tank.

Earn and Van died during the camping trip, perhaps the guy at the beginning really was a killer and Alvin died in the tractor accident.

Darius was confronting people from his past during the episode and these were people he had perhaps lost.
It's purposefully left vague, of course, but I think Darius was awake at the end. He looked happy, or peaceful, and even with all the weird stuff he's into I think it's very important for him to be real. I don't think he would have reacted like that to his best friends being a creation of his own mind.

It looks like a potential for a happy ending, but I don't know. It's not the first time Earn and Van have made plans, a lot of stuff can happen. Alfred looks to have found peace, but that could easily uprooted (do we know how much money he even has?). Darius is going to jail for sure, which isn't happy but something I think he would prefer over staying in the tank, and the cops might just shoot everyone when they come storming in. Four dead people because of a stolen car would be pretty Atlanta.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Just picked this show up again. Forgot how good it is, way ahead of it's time. Think we've finished 3 series of it in the past week and will probably finish the 4th sometime this week too.