Atletico Madrid Discussion

gajender

Atletico would go through I believe they would also get a result at Anfield as well.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They are gonna park the airbus and play for a 0-0 at Anfield all day long.
I'm hoping for a glorious shithousing performance but i think Liverpool will still manage to go through

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The internet is for moment like this: I told you so :lol:
And I asked you last week. Do you think a 1-0 win against Liverpool is job done by Simeone or job done by Klopp? Considering we've lost 7 of our last 11 away Euro ties so it's par for the course for us.

Judging by the posts on here it sounds like posters are saying job done by Klopp. Don't make me quote them all, there's far too many.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And I asked you last week. Do you think a 1-0 win against Liverpool is job done by Simeone or job done by Klopp? Considering we've lost 7 of our last 11 away Euro ties so it's par for the course for us.

Judging by the posts on here it sounds like posters are saying job done by Klopp. Don't make me quote them all, there's far too many.
Surely, it can't be a part of the plan or a good result? I doubt that Klopp's strategy is including the possibility of an away defeat with a home tie comeback in mind.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's what they do in every single game. Doesn't matter if it's Liverpool at Anfield or Extremadura in Copa del Rey at home.

MadMike

That's what they do in every single game. Doesn't matter if it's Liverpool at Anfield or Extremadura in Copa del Rey at home.
Well then I hope it works again and when the game starts getting nasty and Kloppo inevitably loses his rag, I hope Simeone headbutts his shiny white dentures off his mouth.

Lynty

Few teams better at defending a lead.

I think this tie is over.

Edit: hopefully Robertson tries his hardman routine on Costa.

Judas

Open to offers
I do think Klopp won't be too fussed to have lost that by just one goal, not happy, but not exactly worried. But I do hope Atletico put in the most ugly disgusting performance and go through, obviously.

thepolice123

Job done by Klopp for keeping the scoreline 1-0.

You realise how ridiculous that sounds?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's not job done for either manager. It's halfway through a tie where one manager has lost but is going back to his home stadium and the other manager has won but only by a goal against a team that tends to be high scoring.

People acting like Liverpool are out are idiots and the Liverpool fans and staff going on with bitterness and talking about some mythical hell are also embarrassing.

I still think Liverpool are the favourites and I expect them to get through.

If Atlético weather the early storm though and espcially if they score early, the tie becomes exceedingly interesting.

GMoore23

I think Liverpool are going to find it extremely difficult to turn this tie around. Atleti were only at about half strength last night and with 3 weeks until the 2nd leg, will likely have a fully fit Costa, Felix and Gimenez back in the side.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool still seem very favorite.
It could happen that Atlético played to scare,trying to score a goal, but that would mean opening up and conceding spaces and seeing previous ties I think it won't happen now.
I imagine them defending in the small area after 10 minutes and Liverpool finally scoring .
Their recent history in penalty shootings is also not very promising

Pagh Wraith

The black and white mentality, i.e. Liverpool are gonna smash them at Anfield or This is over. Needed to score in Spain is bizarre. Why is it so hard to think along the lines of Atletico are a 55-60% favourite now?

izec

If Liverpool have a bad day, it might work. But still, if they turn up, there is no way they won't concede on that small pitch. It will be one wave after the other at some point, and they don't seem as stable away from home. I see it more like the Juve tie last year, where they will get opened up at some point and have no answer offensively.

Javi

Not true at all, if you follow la liga you’d be completely aware that Atlético wasn’t a good match up, check the previous pages.

Atletico are having a bad season result wise, performances are fine though. They are still excellent defensively but keep missing big chances in the league.
What do you mean with «not a good match up»? That their strengths lie in defence? Lots of teams aren't a good match up then.

Since the Supercopa Atlético lost 2:0 away to Eibar, played 0:0 against Léganes, lost 1:0 to Madrid, won 1:0 against Granada and played 2:2 against Valencia (1-2-3). Performances were awful. That they managed to win yesterday was surely a big surprise, well done to them. But again, not much to suggest that before the game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Their defensive performances in big games are always boosted by Simeone and his tactics. His micromanagement and ability to create a nearly-perfectly working unit at the back with basically any set of players is insane. Remember Savić playing for Manchester City? Or Filipe Luís rotting on Chelsea's bench in-between his stints at Atletí?
Wow this happened?

Lee565

Saw a crazy stat that Atletico under simeone have only ever been knocked out in the champions league when the opponent's team has had ronaldo in it.

Whilst defensive tactics are not usually fun to watch, there is something about simeone's defensive style that I find entertaining.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Saw a crazy stat that Atletico under simeone have only ever been knocked out in the champions league when the opponent's team has had ronaldo in it.

Whilst defensive tactics are not usually fun to watch, there is something about simeone's defensive style that I find entertaining.
Juve last season, failed to qualify from group before that and then Real four times in a row before that (semis, finals 2x and quarters). They've not been a good away team lately (2 away wins in the last 10 in the CL, 4 in all competitions this season).

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Job done by Klopp for keeping the scoreline 1-0.

You realise how ridiculous that sounds?
Can we score three goals at home? Yes. Do we need to get out of Spain with less than three goals conceded? Yes.

Job done?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool still seem very favorite.
I said I wasn't going to quote the huge number of posts that say this same thing, but some posters aren't getting it. If this is the vastly overwhelming sentiment on a Utd website then is it job done or not @thepolice123 ?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

They’ve perfected the art of looking like they’re getting pummelled and massively under the cosh yet the opposition rarely get a shot on target or even a good chance.

It’s remarkable how composed and relaxed they are in these situations.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I said I wasn't going to quote the huge number of posts that say this same thing, but some posters aren't getting it. If this is the vastly overwhelming sentiment on a Utd website then is it job done or not @thepolice123 ?
The job for the first leg is definitely done — for Simeone. I doubt that anyone is saying that either Klopp or Simeone have done enough already to guarantee a 100% chance of getting through? Liverpool are still favourites, but they are less likely to go through than they were two days ago.

By the way, you're quoting a Real Madrid supporter, so it's not really a quote that works well with the "Utd website" argument.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
As Juve are not playing the same week as us (I think) I hope Klopp is angry enough to invite Ronaldo down to watch and book him a seat just behind and between the two benches. Furthermore, I hope Klopp laughs and jokes and hugs him in full view of the Atletico players to give them the heebee jeebees. :lol:

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Few teams better at defending a lead.

I think this tie is over.

Edit: hopefully Robertson tries his hardman routine on Costa.
They had a 2-0 vs Juventus last year - personally I see Liverpool going through.

Also, I love Costa but he's anything but a hard man. Typically won't pick on gius bigger than him - Van Dijk is definitely the strongest/biggest guy between both teams imo.

thepolice123

Can we score three goals at home? Yes. Do we need to get out of Spain with less than three goals conceded? Yes.

Job done?
Basing on the certainty that Liverpool will score 2 or more?

Only one team was happy with the scoreline. And it sure wasn't Liverpool.:lol:

Stop Wumming.

Lee565

They’ve perfected the art of looking like they’re getting pummelled and massively under the cosh yet the opposition rarely get a shot on target or even a good chance.

It’s remarkable how composed and relaxed they are in these situations.
It's also the fact that his teams are like warriors fighting for everything and dont just lay down and allow the opposition an easy time in possession of the ball like say us under Mourinho against the big sides, even at the very end of the game saul was in liverpool's half slide blocking a liverpool pass forwards.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They will get peppered at Anfield. Their main striker is Morata for some reason.
Surely they will spend the next three weeks getting Diego Costa match fit? He is a certain starter imo as is Trippier if he will be fit in time. Both know what Anfield is about.

Lynty

They had a 2-0 vs Juventus last year - personally I see Liverpool going through.

Also, I love Costa but he's anything but a hard man. Typically won't pick on gius bigger than him - Van Dijk is definitely the strongest/biggest guy between both teams imo.
He's not a hardman, but i'm sure he'd happily knock Robertson down a peg or two. Little scottish twat

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
My answer is the same, job done by Simeone. For you, the goal was not losing. Now it's risky.

If you go through it will likely be because you're the better team(or maybe they'll have another meltdown like last year). This is the kind of result they needed to take to anfield and have good chances of going through

Set pieces will be the key for you imho

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No Ronaldo no KO....

Rode their luck tonight but Atletico are masters at still being able to pinch a goal despite having limited possesion in knock out ties. Liverpool needed a goal in the away leg simple as that.

Last English club to knock them out over two legs in either european competition remains Bolton Wanderers in March 2008.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salah shredded them all night, they couldn't cope with him at all. Really rode their luck in this one

Then again, that's also a somewhat normal atletico performance