Atletico Madrid Discussion

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Where the fecks the jan oblak thread ! What a performance !

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I hope they win it. The thing with Atletico is that they always seem to do all the hard work then fall at the final hurdle. Hope this is their year.

Inter Yer Nan

I hope they win it. The thing with Atletico is that they always seem to do all the hard work then fall at the final hurdle. Hope this is their year.
Very unlucky not to win it twice. This is the weakest they’ve been though. I think they’ll need a favorable draw or two. Sucks for them had one of their champions league finals been fecking Spurs they’d have won it no problem.

I really hope they win it though. I just don’t see them having the firepower if they’ve got to go through all the best teams.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Even beating Liverpool, I don't see them nearly as solid as years beforehand. They bought a bunch of attacking players and full backs and play them like they still have those 2011-16 squads.

But this might be a 2012 Chelsea run, where they won it in their worst year and playing awfully, when they deserved much more in previous years

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Even beating Liverpool, I don't see them nearly as solid as years beforehand. They bought a bunch of attacking players and full backs and play them like they still have those 2011-16 squads.

But this might be a 2012 Chelsea run, where they won it in their worst year and playing awfully, when they deserved much more in previous years
You're right, this is a very realistic scenario. At the same time a non-giant like Leipzig or Atalanta have everything required to knock Atletico out. Just look at the teams they've lost to in Spain. Sitting back and praying the opposition misses open goal chances might work for one or two rounds but there's quite a few games left to play with teams that don't have Karius/Adrian.

hubbuh

Salah shredded them all night, they couldn't cope with him at all. Really rode their luck in this one

Then again, that's also a somewhat normal atletico performance
Really?! I thouht Salah last night was a good example of why a lot of Liverpool fans wouldn't mind seeing him sold. Incredibly selfish, 9/10 times looking for the shot over the pass, absolutely capable of pulling a rabbit out of the hat but so infuriatingly/gloriously single-minded.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Morata during his goal celebration : "I, You, We, They, He, She, It, let's celebration"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really?! I thouht Salah last night was a good example of why a lot of Liverpool fans wouldn't mind seeing him sold. Incredibly selfish, 9/10 times looking for the shot over the pass, absolutely capable of pulling a rabbit out of the hat but so infuriatingly/gloriously single-minded.
That’s an exaggeration to say the least. What a ridiculous comment

flappyjay

I don't know about how Liverpool fans feel about him but lee565 described him really well. Salah is a very selfish player he rarely ever looks for a team mate, sort of like Robben.

hubbuh

Yeah? Nice one. I lived with two Liverpool fans and enjoyed a running commentary from 3 'pool supporting mates last night. Liverpool fans aren't a monolith but (at least according to them) there's a growing sense of wanting to cash in on him now. For all his goal-scoring ability, his individualism gets in the way of the collective. He's developed a bad habit of going it alone in situations where Liverpool outnumber the opposite 2 to 1 (I remember him doing it twice against Wolves). He's a fantastic player, obviously, but it's ridiculous to deny his shortcomings are a cause of frustration to the point of talk of shifting him while his stock is still high.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah? Nice one. I lived with two Liverpool fans and enjoyed a running commentary from 3 'pool supporting mates last night. Liverpool fans aren't a monolith but (at least according to them) there's a growing sense of wanting to cash in on him now. For all his goal-scoring ability, his individualism gets in the way of the collective. He's developed a bad habit of going it alone in situations where Liverpool outnumber the opposite 2 to 1 (I remember him doing it twice against Wolves). He's a fantastic player, obviously, but it's ridiculous to deny his shortcomings are a cause of frustration to the point of talk of shifting him while his stock is still high.
That's a more balanced view. The last was just a diatribe

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know about how Liverpool fans feel about him but lee565 described him really well. Salah is a very selfish player he rarely ever looks for a team mate, sort of like Robben.
Unlike Robben Salah is killing the goals tally in this country. Yes he is a little selfish but that dribble and pass to Mane was class. Shame Mane is going through a pathetic phase and didn't slot that bread and butter chance in. Firmino missing two open goals, literally open, to cost us as much as Adrian.

Salah wasn't vintage but he did more than enough with Ox and Trent on that side to put the shits up Atletico.

Edit I would sell Firmino first if it ever came to it. Then a toss up between Mane and Salah. Ideally, sell none of them.

tomaldinho1

Yh agreed - he had blinkers on all night.

I don't get why there's so much salt about this game from Liverpool fans - this Atleti team are a shadow of what they were a few years ago and were protecting a 1-0 lead, apologies they didn't come out guns blazing away from home.... it just shows the relative strength of the PL this season, Athletico are what 5th in La Liga and won 4-2 over two legs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

AC Milan in 2007 aswell perhaps. Still a very good team but that line up wasn't as strong as the one that lost in 2005 especially as the ones who stayed were well into their 30s by then like Inzaghi. Milan's last hurrah in champions league anyway.

As people remember on here Bayern Munich in 2010 rode their luck a little to reach that final so certainly in cup football you don't need to be at your peak to win it or reach the final sometimes.

Righteous Steps

Salah created the best chances, his performance was far and away better than Manes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Weird take considering he was constantly setting people up, but i wasn't talking about how well salah played, i was talking about how atletico madrid couldn't stop him at all and all their problems cascaded from there. Liverpool kept getting Salah the ball precisely for this reason, atletico's defence broke down pretty much everytime he was on the ball

hubbuh

Weird take considering he was constantly setting people up, but i wasn't talking about how well salah played, i was talking about how atletico madrid couldn't stop him at all and all their problems cascaded from there. Liverpool kept getting Salah the ball precisely for this reason, atletico's defence broke down pretty much everytime he was on the ball
Unusual take as Salah had no genuine goal efforts of note and most of Athletico's problems patently stemmed from Wijnaldum's great performance. Liverpool kept giving the ball to TAA, who had a decent game with some devilish crosses (at least one of which Firmino should have put away) but quite a lot of them were off the mark.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unusual take as Salah had no genuine goal efforts of note and most of Athletico's problems patently stemmed from Wijnaldum's great performance. Liverpool kept giving the ball to TAA, who had a decent game with some devilish crosses (at least one of which Firmino should have put away) but quite a lot of them were off the mark.
Salah had a massive effect on atletico's defence, his presence completely tilted them towards him and created massive holes for everyone else to run into. You only have to look at the first goal, which is a direct result of atletico throwing multiple defenders at salah and leaving OX free to run into the hole vacated by Atletico's defenders being too focused on Salah

That kept happening all game long, atletico madrid struggled so badly to stop him specifically that after a while they couldn't stop anyone else because they had too many men worried about salah

No eye dear

I only watched the last twenty minutes mainly because I avoid the dippers whenever possible but Athletic played to their strengths and took advantage of the whiners weakness, that's football

Foxbatt

I do think Klopp won't be too fussed to have lost that by just one goal, not happy, but not exactly worried. But I do hope Atletico put in the most ugly disgusting performance and go through, obviously.
This is what they have done it. To see Souness and Owen lose their rag has made my day. I luv it. Simply luv it.

thepolice123

Salah had the most shots on goal and the most on target. It was also his deflected shot which created the Robertson chance that came off the post. He did not have his scoring boots on but the threat he posed and the tactical problem he gave Atletico were evident.

Atletico's problems came mainly on their left because Lodi struggled massively against Salah who strangely seemed way too fast and strong for him. Salah had 7 successful dribbles in the game and was torching Lodi all night. This created a structure breakdown because Saul had to constantly cover for him. The first goal was a good example of this, Saul was more wary about Salah than Ox's run in behind. He was slow to stop the cross and it became a goal.

I actually thought Atletico were getting tactically undone until Simeone brought on Llorente. He had absolutely no answer to the Salah-Ox combo on the left. Their right-side was far easier to contain because Trippier had a great game against Mane and Robertson.