Atletico Madrid Discussion

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They aren't in a terrible position but they look such a shadow of the team they were. They've always been solid but their intensity has dropped considerably. I think the CL final loses has knocked the stuffing out of them and I'm surprised Simeone signed a new contract.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They really need Vitolo and Costa. If they make it until January with ok results I think they'll still have a pretty good season. Things aren't looking too good right now.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
team really needs new blood, partly Simeone's fault, who seems to trust the old guys too much

AshRK

They have got some fabulous players but they need some shake up. Simeone looks lost, griezmann hardly looks motivated, Torres has looked crap. Costa will help them big time, he actually could help them win something.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
*Posting here because there isn't a new thread for them*

Joao Felix was looking really good today before his injury, and Lodi and Trippier were basically wingers and allowed Felix to drift inside. Felipe will clearly get the starting spot from Savic, he is a beast.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Signed Hermoso aswell, he looked good for Espanyol last season and has a few Spain caps.

Same as usual I suspect although would expect a deeper run in CL. Flopped in 17/18 and were unlucky to get Juve as last 16 opponent last year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Joao Felix was looking really good today before his injury, and Lodi and Trippier were basically wingers and allowed Felix to drift inside. Felipe will clearly get the starting spot from Savic, he is a beast.
Lodi is a great signing if he adapts well to Europe. Paranaense has some interesting players and a promising coach.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Felipe Luis leaving, going back to Flamengo. Another of the old guard moving on as he was brilliant for them over many years.

Carolina Red

Staff

Signed Hermoso aswell, he looked good for Espanyol last season and has a few Spain caps.

Same as usual I suspect although would expect a deeper run in CL. Flopped in 17/18 and were unlucky to get Juve as last 16 opponent last year.
Lodi is a great signing if he adapts well to Europe. Paranaense has some interesting players and a promising coach.
Felipe Luis leaving, going back to Flamengo. Another of the old guard moving on as he was brilliant for them over many years.
Changed the thread title so it’ll be more relevant and maybe more folks will see it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Changed the thread title so it’ll be more relevant and maybe more folks will see it.
There should be a small d in discussion. Proper La Liga fans, like @Adisa is, spell it Atlético so you've made him look like a proper mug. You did spell Madrid correctly, I'll give you that.

5/7 thread title change.

Carolina Red

Staff
There should be a small d in discussion. Proper La Liga fans, like @Adisa is, spell it Atlético so you've made him look like a proper mug. You did spell Madrid correctly, I'll give you that.

5/7 thread title change.
I didn’t change the spelling of the 1st word at all, that’s how he spelled it. I just changed “17/18” to “Discussion”.

2/10 banter. Get your shit together.

Inter Yer Nan

I’m interested to see what the CB pairing will be. Felipe, Hermoso and Giminez are ALL superb.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Yes Paranaense is the most European of the Brazilian clubs. Even the weather is similar :lol:

They have a winger called Rony who has rollerblades on his feet, dude is very fast. Similar to Everton.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
€126 million on Joao Felix who currently has three goals in all competitions

Lemar : Atletico's 2nd biggest ever signing (70M) hasn't scored or assisted yet

1 clean sheet in 8 games

6th in La Liga having played one game more than Barca and Real

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
€126 million on Joao Felix who currently has three goals in all competitions

Lemar : Atletico's 2nd biggest ever signing (70M) hasn't scored or assisted yet

1 clean sheet in 8 games

6th in La Liga having played one game more than Barca and Real
I guess Godin really was that good.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The world is divided into two groups. Group A thinks Godin is the better defender. Group B believes Ramos is the better defender. When I seize power we will send Group B to reeducation camps in Siberia
I also rate Ramos above Godin tbh. Godin was quality but he also benefifed from Atletico's deep defensive structure. I think Ramos would do better in that kind of setup than Godin would with a high line.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's been there too long. They have enough attacking threat to do a whole lot better but they're just not doing it under Diego. I think Poch would be great there with the current squad.

Pagh Wraith

Funnily their metrics are much better this year and they lead the expected goals table which has never happened before. Infact they seem to have improved massively so I'd wait a bit before jumping to conclusions. Anyone who saw their match against Barca knows they were quite unfortunate not to win.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The world is divided into two groups. Group A thinks Godin is the better defender. Group B believes Ramos is the better defender. When I seize power we will send Group B to reeducation camps in Siberia
Group A should watch Inter games to see how Godin fares in a higher line(hint: not too well)

As to Atletico, their problem is their horrible finishing. They don't create a lot and are certainly not an entertaining side to watch but they do create really BIG chances and concede almost nothing in pretty much every game. If they had a prime Diego Costa they would be cruising in the league with a good lead over us and barcelona and would have won every game in CL so far...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Group A should watch Inter games to see how Godin fares in a higher line(hint: not too well)

As to Atletico, their problem is their horrible finishing. They don't create a lot and are certainly not an entertaining side to watch but they do create really BIG chances and concede almost nothing in pretty much every game. If they had a prime Diego Costa they would be cruising in the league with a good lead over us and barcelona and would have won every game in CL so far...
Show some respect, he could be your grandfather

GlasgowCeltic

He asked too much of his strikers and he seems completely against having any pace in the team

SambaBoy

His record in the transfer markets for bigger signings is quite atrocious.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is Andrea Berta still their DOF ?
He was continually linked with us under Jose.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Whenever he had to replace a player of the old-team (Filipe Luis, Juan Fran, Gabi, Arda, Costa, Tiago, Miranda-Godin), the new player ended up performing worse. he only replacements, that improved the team were Oblak, Griezmann, (David Villa for a short period of time) and players who got their breakthrough at the club. He had players like Mario Suarez, Raul Garcia, F.Torres or Adrian Lopez, who were hardly world beater, but still managed to contribute. Nowadays the bench is just continuing to disappoint.

They bought many interesting players and most of them under performed. That would speak for a new manager.

On the other side, Atletico don't have solid finances and missing CL could be a disaster. They can't afford to gamble and Simeone guarantees CL football. I don't think any other manager can guarantee this level of stability. Its hard to believe that Simeone can manage to lift them to the absolute top level again, but their management would be still crazy to sack him as long as he is happy to work for them. This might not be pretty and its certainly disappointing to see some of their wasted potential, but I don't think they can afford to take the gamble on a new manager. The downside risk seems way too big.

NoPace

Funnily their metrics are much better this year and they lead the expected goals table which has never happened before. Infact they seem to have improved massively so I'd wait a bit before jumping to conclusions. Anyone who saw their match against Barca knows they were quite unfortunate not to win.
They were the better team.

I've only seen them 3 times this year but if those games are any indication, Partey is maybe the best non-attacking midfielder in the world? Certainly looks a cut above the Prem's best apart from maybe Kante.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is Andrea Berta still their DOF ?
He was continually linked with us under Jose.
He is iirc, but since winning the league Simeone has operated as a manager in the british style of the role. He's the one identifying most of their targets, and he has power of veto over outgoing transfers

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
As to Atletico, their problem is their horrible finishing. They don't create a lot and are certainly not an entertaining side to watch but they do create really BIG chances and concede almost nothing in pretty much every game. If they had a prime Diego Costa they would be cruising in the league with a good lead over us and barcelona and would have won every game in CL so far..
Griezmann made a mistake leaving Atletico. He would burry most of the chances that the likes of Morata, Correa, etc... are fumbling.

We made a mistake buying Griezmann and playing him on the LW. We would have been better off buying Joao Felix and playing him there. I also think that a possession team would suit him more.

Atletico, Felix, Griezmann and Barca would honestly all be much better off if Griez was still at Atletico and Felix was at Barca.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They’ve been coasting a little while, really. With Barcelona basically being 95% Messi and Madrid being in domestic wilderness for the past 3-4 years or so, this was really the perfect opportunity for Atletico to secure another league title.

Instead, it’s been iffy signings every year and constantly not looking like they’re truly up for the title.