Atletico Madrid Discussion

NoPace

Why hasn't Lamar worked out? He looked a certain prospect, is it tactical? Mental?
They bring him on late in games to provide creativity and he doesn't look like genius in that regard, but it would be interesting to see him in a more typical, attacking team. He seems to be playing within himself, doesn't try much.

Would be an interesting buy for us. Only 24, could play on the right or as a #10.

DVG7

So Atletico are the owners of Atletico Ottawa, who will become the 8th team in the canadian premier league. There old forward Mista (better remembered for his time at Valencia) is the manager.

RedCurry

Why hasn't Lamar worked out? He looked a certain prospect, is it tactical? Mental?
He was never that talented. He produced great numbers for that brilliant Monaco team and was a jack of all trades but not really a great prospect as some believed at the time.

DVG7

He was never that talented. He produced great numbers for that brilliant Monaco team and was a jack of all trades but not really a great prospect as some believed at the time.
i watched him for France a few times and he looked brilliant. Can’t keep up the consistency though. Reminds me of Malouda.

micmac

So Atletico are the owners of Atletico Ottawa, who will become the 8th team in the canadian premier league. There old forward Mista (better remembered for his time at Valencia) is the manager.
That's good to know. I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully they can make an impact like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Atletico is the last team he should have signed for, he's just not made for this kind of teams. Simeone is a very bad fit for him, he would have been far better playing like Bernardo Silva.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Is there any hope of them eliminating Liverpool?
Don't bet on it. The only way Liverpool lose this tie is if they implode on themselves and they don't look like that this season. Atlético have been a dire team to watch. They've played 5 league games this season, didn't manage to score in 3 of them. They got knocked out of the cup by Cultural Leonesa (I haven't heard of them either). For them to stand a chance of beating Liverpool they'll have to beat them at home and keep a clean sheet. Their away record this season is 4 wins in 14 matches. Liverpool's record at Anfield under Klopp is, ehhh, quite good.

izec

Liverpool will tear them a new one at Anfield. The tie will be over either way, Atletico are garbage away from home. Even if they win at home, they stand no chance.

criticalanalysis

Don't bet on it. The only way Liverpool lose this tie is if they implode on themselves and they don't look like that this season. Atlético have been a dire team to watch. They've played 5 league games this season, didn't manage to score in 3 of them. They got knocked out of the cup by Cultural Leonesa (I haven't heard of them either). For them to stand a chance of beating Liverpool they'll have to beat them at home and keep a clean sheet. Their away record this season is 4 wins in 14 matches. Liverpool's record at Anfield under Klopp is, ehhh, quite good.
Liverpool will tear them a new one at Anfield. The tie will be over either way, Atletico are garbage away from home. Even if they win at home, they stand no chance.
:(

I don't think this will be that straight forward.

I believe El Cholo and Atletico will be able to raise their game, as it will suit them to play against the relative workman-like Liverpool. Don't get wrong, I'm not saying Liverpool aren't creative or won't dominate possesion but when they've come up against a proper solid defensive team like us, both times they've struggled. El Cholo and his teams have only gone out in the CL against genuine mercurial talents like Ronaldo's Madrid and Juve. Will your Hendersons, Wijnaldums and Milners really break down with ease this rugged Atletico team?

Ok, granted I don't watch much of them and maybe I am basing my opinion of the Atletico of yesteryears but I see this being a very very hard fought contest if Liverpool are going to win.

Snow

I believe El Cholo and Atletico will be able to raise their game, as it will suit them to play against the relative workman-like Liverpool. Don't get wrong, I'm not saying Liverpool aren't creative or won't dominate possesion but when they've come up against a proper solid defensive team like us, both times they've struggled. El Cholo and his teams have only gone out in the CL against genuine mercurial talents like Ronaldo's Madrid and Juve. Will your Hendersons, Wijnaldums and Milners really break down with ease this rugged Atletico team?

Ok, granted I don't watch much of them and maybe I am basing my opinion of the Atletico of yesteryears but I see this being a very very hard fought contest if Liverpool are going to win.
You are. Midfield is about the same but they are worse up top, they are worse at the back. Liverpool defend better whilst Atlético are more comparable to Leeds going forward than a Champions League team.

You're comments about Liverpool's midfielders is baffling. Not only do these players never play all together nor are any of them the focal point of Liverpool players that teams have to worry about defending. There are 5 bigger threats on the pitch ahead of each of them. Despite that, yes they will break down Atlético just like they have any other team they've faced. Atlético barely scored a goal a game and away from home they concede more than a goal a game. It wouldn't surprise me if they were not playing CL next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

They're not the team they used to be. Of course upsets can happen in football but the chances are extremely low.

Personally with all the focus on domestic records, I'm more worried about Liverpool winning the CL especially with the decline of the Spanish big 2. They've got a great chance again this season also given City are having a poor season too. Urgh.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
They're not the team they used to be. Of course upsets can happen in football but the chances are extremely low.

Personally with all the focus on domestic records, I'm more worried about Liverpool winning the CL especially with the decline of the Spanish big 2. They've got a great chance again this season also given City are having a poor season too. Urgh.
I think Real Madrid will be very hard to beat in the Champions League. They’ve put up some impressive numbers in defence over the last 15-20 games. Spurs under Mourinho could also undo Liverpool over two legs.

This year’s CL will be very interesting to watch. The second round itself has a couple of semi final level matches.

amolbhatia50k

I think Real Madrid will be very hard to beat in the Champions League. They’ve put up some impressive numbers in defence over the last 15-20 games. Spurs under Mourinho could also undo Liverpool over two legs.

This year’s CL will be very interesting to watch. The second round itself has a couple of semi final level matches.
I've lost interest to be honest. Watching the tournament for not wanting teams to win is tiresome.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I've lost interest to be honest. Watching the tournament for not wanting teams to win is tiresome.
You'll fall in love with the Champions League when Manchester United become a powerhouse again with a realistic chance of winning the competition.

There's no feeling more intense than facing another European giant in a huge knockout game. The butterflies you get in your stomach when the music hits... it's something else.

amolbhatia50k

You'll fall in love with the Champions League when Manchester United become a powerhouse again with a realistic chance of winning the competition.

There's no feeling more intense than facing another European giant in a huge knockout game. The butterflies you get in your stomach when the music hits... it's something else.
Yeah, of course nothing against the competition. But I do think A) people go overboard with it as if it's the only trophy that matters in the year and B) our absence and our rival's prominance kills the enjoyment. It's hardly like the WC where I can gleefully enjoy it as a neutral.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is there any hope of them eliminating Liverpool?
They're the best defence in the world, and will be the best defence liverpool will face this season. So, yes, there is. Just not much

This is a tie between a team that has been let down by hilarious finishing vs a team that is on its way to break records thanks to hilarious finishing from their opponents

Atletico will win 4-3 on aggregate of course :lol:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Atletico won’t struggle as much as people here think. Their away record is poor but those games won’t play out anywhere near like Anfield will. It’ll be a parked bus which they’re great at. They struggle when it’s them having to break teams down. Their defence is still strong, they are such a hard team to beat over 2 legs. The real issue for them will probably be scoring.

romufc

Atletico won’t struggle as much as people here think. Their away record is poor but those games won’t play out anywhere near like Anfield will. It’ll be a parked bus which they’re great at. They struggle when it’s them having to break teams down. Their defence is still strong, they are such a hard team to beat over 2 legs. The real issue for them will probably be scoring.

That's a big issue considering Liverpool score 2/3 goals at home.

DVG7

its been a while since we’ve seen a team stop Liverpool dictating a game, unfortunately. Think they’ll smash Atlético

criticalanalysis

You are. Midfield is about the same but they are worse up top, they are worse at the back. Liverpool defend better whilst Atlético are more comparable to Leeds going forward than a Champions League team.

You're comments about Liverpool's midfielders is baffling. Not only do these players never play all together nor are any of them the focal point of Liverpool players that teams have to worry about defending. There are 5 bigger threats on the pitch ahead of each of them. Despite that, yes they will break down Atlético just like they have any other team they've faced. Atlético barely scored a goal a game and away from home they concede more than a goal a game. It wouldn't surprise me if they were not playing CL next season.

Yes it's more hope than anything but I just feel it's a very tough match up for Liverpool, who will be going in as overwhelming favourites against a team that loves playing the underdog and taking a proactive defensive approach.

Liverpool have been wearing teams down with their resilance, professionalism and workman-like creativity. They play better when teams come at them or open up (due to lack of quality, attacking ability etc) because of the aforementioned traits. I don't think that will easily break down Atletico, who know how to game manage, play within themselves, are technically solid and have some very good players, who would love to 'do one' against the European Champions.

I personally think it's a fire vs fire type of match up and Atletico will not lose limp wristed by being opened up and concede easily. I know I'm saying the obvious but the longer the game stays 0-0, the better it is for Atletico, who I'm sure will be having some big chances of their own.

I'm calling an 'upset' here :devil:

Snow

Yes it's more hope than anything but I just feel it's a very tough match up for Liverpool, who will be going in as overwhelming favourites against a team that loves playing the underdog and taking a proactive defensive approach.

Liverpool have been wearing teams down with their resilance, professionalism and workman-like creativity. They play better when teams come at them or open up (due to lack of quality, attacking ability etc) because of the aforementioned traits. I don't think that will easily break down Atletico, who know how to game manage, play within themselves, are technically solid and have some very good players, who would love to 'do one' against the European Champions.

I personally think it's a fire vs fire type of match up and Atletico will not lose limp wristed by being opened up and concede easily.

I could not be happier if it turns out I'm wrong about this one (well, except if Ole turns out to be brilliant and win the league soon or something like that).

thepolice123

Atletico are playing their worst football this year, they can't even hit a barn door at the moment and have a bunch of injuries to key players. Costa and Morata are struggling to make it to the first leg. I think they virtually have no healthy CF :lol:. Felix, Trippier and Gimenez all out for the match. Vrsaljko and Lodi at fullback is a nightmare scenario against Liverpool. Vrasljko is their 3rd choice RB and Lodi was so shite the previous match that Simeone hauled him off and have Saul play LB.

The only way I can see Atletico winning is a dodgy goal and two legs of shithousery, otherwise I think it will be as straightforward as they come. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

I personally think it's a fire vs fire type of match up and Atletico will not lose limp wristed by being opened up and concede easily. I know I'm saying the obvious but the longer the game stays 0-0, the better it is for Atletico, who I'm sure will be having some big chances of their own.

Hope that happens but personally I'd fancy the chances of the likes of Madrid, PSG and City more than Atletico. You need to take the game to Liverpool to beat them. Like City beat them in both league games last year. Or Madrid in the CL final. Barcelona would have beaten them in the semi finals last season if not for a complete defensive collapse and missing some great chances.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

If Atletico perform the heroics above in the first leg and end the game 1-0 winners at home, will that be considered job done for Atletico or job done for Liverpool?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Atletico will score at Anfield.
I'm sure they will, they're being a bit too underrated on here. They still have Simeone's spirit and shithouse tactics. Conversely, I can't remember the last time we didn't get at least one goal home or away.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Atletico perform the heroics above in the first leg and end the game 1-0 winners at home, will that be considered job done for Atletico or job done for Liverpool?
Atletico. That is the worst possible score for you short of a battering

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm sure they will, they're being a bit too underrated on here. They still have Simeone's spirit and shithouse tactics. Conversely, I can't remember the last time we didn't get at least one goal home or away.
You've also never seen anything like their defence.

It's a fascinating match up

flappyjay

Liverpool struggle against a proper parked bus as proven against United.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool are going to slap them silly.
Why?
What good team have Liverpool slapped silly this season bar Leicester?
Struggled against United, struggled against Chelsea. Were fortunate to win 3-1 against City, game played out perfectly for them with the early controversial goal.

They struggle against deep lying sides, they keep winning the games performances haven’t been that good. Atletico are much better defensively than the prem sides that park the bus.

Haven’t been overly impressive in the CL either so far really.

People seem to think Liverpool are some complete juggernaut, their performances don’t match their results, eventually the results will start to follow performances.

Atletico have struggled this season but they’re still an incredibly hard team to beat. They have lost to Barca, Real, Eibar and Sociedad in the league. The Barca loss was incredibly harsh, just a moment of Messi magic. The only bad result there is Eibar, which is a poor matchup for Atletico.
Madrid and Barca managed to both only score 1 past them as well.

flappyjay

Football is not black and white like so many in this thread think.