Atletico Madrid refusing to play Antoine Griezmann more than 30 minutes/Resolved!/smashing it for France.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It's amusing to see, particularly considering both the clubs involved. I do have to wonder if they will actually keep it up for the whole season though.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Spanish football is just a completely different level of shithousery, it seems :lol:
We don't have oil owners to give any random team hundreds of millions so yeah we struggle more. I respect United but Chelsea, City, Newcastle, tottenham... A lot of artificial teams made up of money that came from who knows where.
I was actually glad Real Madrid kicked the asses of your oil clubs. They are, despite everything, an actual football club not some billionaire's toy.
The Premier League is the financial doping league. Excuse us for struggling to compete with that with only our money.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We don't have oil owners to give any random team hundreds of millions so yeah we struggle more. I respect United but Chelsea, City, Newcastle, tottenham... A lot of artificial teams made up of money that came from who knows where.
I was actually glad Real Madrid kicked the asses of your oil clubs. They are, despite everything, an actual football club not some billionaire's toy.
The Premier League is the financial doping league. Excuse us for struggling to compete with that with only our money.
Tottenham is not oil club, they have debt for stadium and they clear the debt like any other club.

IrishRedDevil

Just ignoring all the money from the Spanish authorities?

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Tottenham is not oil club, they have debt for stadium and they clear the debt like any other club.
United, Madrid and Barcelona have been the football biggest earners for over 15 years. And yet a team that never wins anything and that pretty much nobody outside of the UK cares for can spend more than Barcelona. It may not be oil but still how can a team like Tottenham spend 2 billion? Where does that money come from?
It's not a successful team and it's not a team with good global reach. A team that hasn't won an important trophy in my whole lifespan can spend more that the most successful teams of the last 20 years.
How is it done?

roonster09

Scout
United, Madrid and Barcelona have been the football biggest earners for over 15 years. And yet a team that never wins anything and that pretty much nobody outside of the UK cares for can spend more than Barcelona. It may not be oil but still how can a team like Tottenham spend 2 billion? Where does that money come from?
It's not a successful team and it's not a team with good global reach. A team that hasn't won an important trophy in my whole lifespan can spend more that the most successful teams of the last 20 years.
How is it done?
When did they spend 2 billion?

They barely spend big money, they are one of the richest clubs and they make good money by TV revenue, CL participation and also they were financially healthy as they had very low wages. Something that backfired but they assembled very good team for almost nothing (less than 100 million IIRC) and on low wages. After that they started to spend but it was never beyond their budget or means.

They have taken huge loans to build stadium, which will be repaid by the club.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Just ignoring all the money from the Spanish authorities?
Madrid got some 20 years ago and that's it. We lost Luis Figo due to that. I don't forget it and yet it was that time only not a constant Flow of money that teams like City keep getting despite being unable to even fill their emptyhad stadium.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It is very funny. Mostly because it’s happening to Griezmann and Barca. Hope they keep this going.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
When did they spend 2 billion?

They barely spend big money, they are one of the richest clubs and they make good money by TV revenue, CL participation and also they were financially healthy as they had very low wages. Something that backfired but they assembled very good team for almost nothing (less than 100 million IIRC) and on low wages. After that they started to spend but it was never beyond their budget or means.

They have taken huge loans to build stadium, which will be repaid by the club.
About 1300 million € in a stadium alone. Plus the transfers. I've seen transfer market and the deficit the Premier League has is insane.
In a team like United I get it. But Spurs? Who follows Spurs outside of the British isles? Are their fans all millionaires? They have to be since both Madrid and Barcelona with over 400 million followers worldwide can't have such a nice stadium.

roonster09

Scout
About 1300 million € in a stadium alone. Plus the transfers. I've seen transfer market and the deficit the Premier League has is insane.
In a team like United I get it. But Spurs? Who follows Spurs outside of the British isles? Are their fans all millionaires? They have to be since both Madrid and Barcelona with over 400 million followers worldwide can't have such a nice stadium.
Just because you think only Madrid/Barca/ManUtd/Liverpool matters doesn't mean everyone is like that.

They have Son as their star player, that alone would make them very famous in South Korea where Son is very popular.

What you are also ignoring is, PL clubs are rich because of TV revenue and how it is distributed. That's the reason it's very hard to buy players from PL clubs as they don't rely much on transfer fee for their sustainability. All they need to do is, not to get relegated. IIRC Spurs were always among top 10 or top 12 when it comes to total revenues in the last 10 years.

Renegade

Can't blame Atletico, more stupidity from Barcelona agreeing the deal.

It's ridiculous for Griezmann, guess he'll but be rested for the world cup. So there's a positive for France.
He shouldn’t be starting for France

RoyH1

I’d love to be a fly on the wall and hear the conversation between Simeone and his superiors in the club to manage this situation.

led_scholes

Don't we have something like this for Bailly? We ll probably receive that treatment too.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's because the league is more attractive to watch hence the huge broadcasting deals. That money is also shared more evenly across the league unlike La Liga which means the lower clubs become more cash rich and can compete on funds to a certain extent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Next they should ask him to do a fortnite dance in front of gorillas that throw bananas at him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How is it done?
Somewhere out there Glaston is reading this crying into his Cocoa Pops because he can't reply.

Rainy nights in Stoke

At the moment he is 30 of 39. That's 76%.
- 30 out of 37 last season.
- 0 of 2 this season.
Do you have a source on that? This specific article states 30+ mins in 50%+ of games this season, not last season. Admittedly sounds weird, but so does the rest of the clause

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I’d love to be a fly on the wall and hear the conversation between Simeone and his superiors in the club to manage this situation.
You understand Spanish?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
More Barca fans crying about money when they were happy enough to starve the rest of Spanish football when the going was good, but now they wonder why no one wants to watch two bullies piss all over the minnows.

I'm actually amazed that Spanish football has remained as competitive as it has, and it speaks volumes about how they produce players which is admirable to say the least.

But don't go moaning when the years of strangulation has come back to bite you, the Premier League is one of the most popular leagues in the world (so not sure where @MexicanCowboy and his neck has come from about no one caring about Manchester United), thanks to the distribution of wealth which sees a club like Brighton being able to hold put for £60m from a formerly oil backed club in Chelsea - meanwhile in La Liga, Barca signed Pedri from Las Palmas for £4m (and they always mistakenly get credit for producing), and were close to signing another prodigy this year from the same club, Alberto Moleiro, for no doubt under £5m, only the fact they're a horrendously mismanaged club did they fluff that chance.

As far as I'm concerned I have as much contemp for Barcelona as I do for the likes of City and PSG, Barca are a rotten, filthy club with no morals and their fans prancing around like they're bigger than football itself just grates, when in reality the way they conduct themselves is a stain on football - I can't wait for Mes Que Un Club to go bust.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
More Barca fans crying about money when they were happy enough to starve the rest of Spanish football when the going was good, but now they wonder why no one wants to watch two bullies piss all over the minnows.

I'm actually amazed that Spanish football has remained as competitive as it has, and it speaks volumes about how they produce players which is admirable to say the least.

But don't go moaning when the years of strangulation has come back to bite you, the Premier League is one of the most popular leagues in the world (so not sure where @MexicanCowboy and his neck has come from about no one caring about Manchester United), thanks to the distribution of wealth which sees a club like Brighton being able to hold put for £60m from a formerly oil backed club in Chelsea - meanwhile in La Liga, Barca signed Pedri from Las Palmas for £4m (and they always mistakenly get credit for producing), and were close to signing another prodigy this year from the same club, Alberto Moleiro, for no doubt under £5m, only the fact they're a horrendously mismanaged club did they fluff that chance.

As far as I'm concerned I have as much contemp for Barcelona as I do for the likes of City and PSG, Barca are a rotten, filthy club with no morals and their fans prancing around like they're bigger than football itself just grates, when in reality the way they conduct themselves is a stain on football - I can't wait for Mes Que Un Club to go bust.
Brilliant post, plus that league was propped up by two golden geese. The PL would have been way more dominant and much sooner without their rivalry playing out in la liga.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
But don't go moaning when the years of strangulation has come back to bite you, the Premier League is one of the most popular leagues in the world (so not sure where @MexicanCowboy and his neck has come from about no one caring about Manchester United), thanks to the distribution of wealth which sees a club like Brighton being able to hold put for £60m from a formerly oil backed club in Chelsea.
Do you have sources for the claim that the PL is one of the most popular leagues in the world because of the distribution of wealth? Articles from economic journals, things of that nature?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Your post made sense until you mentioned Real Madrid, then you blew it completely :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Do you have sources for the claim that the PL is one of the most popular leagues in the world because of the distribution of wealth? Articles from economic journals, things of that nature?
He's right, the profits in pl are much more evenly distributed .

Here's an article by marca.

Marca

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He's right, the profits in pl are much more evenly distributed .
That is not what I'm asking. I am asking for the evidence that this distribution of profits is the reason why the PL is one of the most popular leagues in the world.

Fans of the English Premier League aren't the first people in the world to claim that the true source of their enormous wealth is their moral virtue, and they won't be the last.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That is not what I'm asking. I am asking for the evidence that this distribution of profits is the reason why the PL is one of the most popular leagues in the world.

Fans of the English Premier League aren't the first people in the world to claim that the true source of their enormous wealth is their moral virtue, and they won't be the last.
Lingua franca, old and well rooted clubs, fun footballing culture, swashbuckling football , marketing and being the first to exploit the internal market should be the main reasons.

I don't know how much the distributing pyramid affects it but in theory it shouldn't keep the teams more evenly matched and so as the result keep the league more entertaining and unexpected.

Does it have that result? Not always but sometimes it does.

RoyH1

Some of the comments on this thread. The newbie system has failed us.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Got to be bringing him on. Not sure how they can guarantee it either way though. Sometimes you can’t make a sub for a couple minutes if the ball stays in play. Or if you bring him in with 29 to go there would likely be injury time.
It wouldn't matter in the odd game:

"plays more than 30 minutes of football in 50 per-cent of games this season"

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I actual don't, guessing I shouldn't have stated it wasn't the main reason, and in fact just my theory!

But considering the poster that instigated my rant basically said that United were not followed outside of the Premier League then what else could have made the Premier League so successful? (I'm being obtuse).

At the end of the day, Madrid and Barca were in a great position to take over the mantle from Serie A, and they did for a while, but it's no secret the two big guns in La Liga smothered their own league, people don't generally enjoy watching unmatched games (reckon this will soon hurt the Premier League due to City doping - but as I said, I detest them too).

The fact smaller clubs like Brighton and Brentford (no disrespect to then) can hold out for insane fees/compete against United for players is great for competition, and people like seeing sport where there's competition.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
A club like Brighton held for 60m. That's nice. Everton are also holding out for 60m for Anthony Gordon. They have been shit for a year, were almost relegated, and will blow that money on absolute garbage.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How on earth have we ended up on this list? :lol: