Kick-off
Wed, 23 February 2022 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ........................VS............................

Date: Wednesday, February 23 2022
    Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, Madrid

Champions League Form Guide

Manchester United: WWDWD
    Atlético Madrid: WLLLW

Previous Meetings in the Champions League

Manchester United 1—1 Atlético Madrid

Atlético Madrid 3—0 Manchester United

All-Time Record in the Champions League

Manchester United wins: 0
    Atlético Madrid wins: 1
    Draws: 1

Pre-Match Pressers

Ralf Rangnick

Diego Simeone

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly and Edinson Cavani ruled out.

Atlético Madrid

Yannick Carrasco suspended. Daniel Wass, Koke, Thomas Lemar, Matheus Cunha and Benjamin Lecomte doubtful.

Know the opposition

Club Atlético de Madrid, S.A.D. (meaning Athletic Club of Madrid), commonly referred to as Atlético Madrid in English or simply as Atlético or Atleti (and nicknamed Colchoneros or Indios), is a Spanish professional football club based in Madrid. The club was founded on 26 April 1903 as Athletic Club Sucursal de Madrid by three Basque students living in Madrid. These founders saw the new club as a youth branch of their childhood team, Athletic Club de Bilbao who they had just seen win the 1903 Copa del Rey Final in the city. In 1904, they were joined by dissident members of Real Madrid. Athletic's first ground, the Ronda de Vallecas, was in the eponymous working-class area on the south side of the city. In 1919, the Compañía Urbanizadora Metropolitana—the company that ran the underground communication system in Madrid—acquired some land, near the Ciudad Universitaria. In 1921, Athletic Madrid became independent of parent-club Athletic Bilbao and moved into a 35,800-seater stadium built by the company, the Estadio Metropolitano de Madrid.

During the 1920s, Athletic won the Campeonato del Centro three times and were Copa del Rey runners-up in 1921, where they faced parent club Athletic Bilbao, as they would again in 1926. Based on these successes, in 1928 they were invited to join the Primera División of the inaugural La Liga played the following year. By 1939, when La Liga had resumed, Athletic had merged with Aviación Nacional of Zaragoza to become Athletic Aviación de Madrid. Aviación Nacional had been founded in 1939 by members of the Spanish Air Force. With the legendary Ricardo Zamora as manager, the club subsequently won their first La Liga title in 1940 and retained the title in 1941. Under Helenio Herrera and with the help of Larbi Benbarek, Atlético won La Liga again in 1950 and 1951. With the departure of Herrera in 1953, the club began to slip behind Real Madrid and Barcelona and for the remainder of the 1950s were left to battle it out with Athletic Bilbao for the title of third team in Spain. However, during the 1960s and 1970s, Atlético Madrid seriously challenged Barcelona for the position of second team — and after winning La Liga in 1973, the club reached the 1974 European Cup Final.

In terms of league titles won, Atlético Madrid are the third most successful club in Spanish football – behind Real Madrid and Barcelona. Atlético have won La Liga on eleven occasions, including a league and cup double in 1996; the Copa del Rey on ten occasions; two Supercopas de España, one Copa Presidente FEF and one Copa Eva Duarte; in Europe, they won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1962, were runners-up in 1963 and 1986, were UEFA Champions League runners-up in 1974, 2014 and 2016, won the Europa League in 2010, 2012 and 2018, and won the UEFA Super Cup in 2010, 2012 and 2018 as well as the 1974 Intercontinental Cup. They are the reigning champions of La Liga. Atletico Madrid's fiercest rivals are Real Madrid (contests between them are named El Derbi Madrileño or simply El Derbi). A historic rivalry also exists between Atlético Madrid and Barcelona, considered one of the Classics of Spanish football — apart from minor but vivid rivalries with Espanyol and Villareal. The club play their home games at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.

Referee

Ovidiu Haţegan.​

cyberman

Another side who give up a bucket load of chances. Just finish and it confident

bucky

de Gea

Lindelof - Varane - Maguire

Dalot - Fred - Pogba - Shaw

B. Fernandes

Ronaldo - Sancho
    Is kinda what I want to see, but it won't happen. Curious what Rangnick is going to do here.

Smithy89

Could we go with a back 3 to keep Lindelof in? Pogba has to start again also.

ti vu

de Gea

B. Fernandes

Ronaldo - Sancho
    Is kinda what I want to see, but it won't happen. Curious what Rangnick is going to do here.
    Don't fix what is not broken (the system).

We just played back 5 for a bit after going 3-2 against Leeds, but I doubt we're good enough to switch system. We're not close to well oiled for our now preferred 4-2-3-1 system.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    UCL? Does that mean Ronaldo will resemble a footballer again?

PoTMS

Play Fred and Pogba as double #8 and Bruno up front. Bring Ronaldo on for the last 10 mins. That's the only time he comes alive in the Champions League these days.

bucky

Don't fix what is not broken (the system).

We just played back 5 for a bit after going 3-2 against Leeds, but I doubt we're good enough to switch system. We're not close to well oiled for our now preferred 4-2-3-1 system.
    It's not going to happen anyway. But it could help with us keeping the ball better and giving more protection to Pogba to do his thing. I also don't think a formation change is that drastic.

slored1

De Gea
    Dalot - Varane - Lindelöf/Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay-Fred
    Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
    Ronaldo

1-1.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    de Gea

B. Fernandes

Ronaldo - Sancho
    Wouldn't mind this, but with Sancho next to Bruno. That left-wing back has to go though.

lenny_1248

Football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and, in the end, Harry Maguire wins.
    3-0 Maguire hat-trick.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Great time to hit form and confidence. Will be tough and they just had their best game in ages too, but we can do it.
    De Gea
    Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
    McTominay
    Bruno Fred
    Sancho Ronaldo Pogba
    Tbh it's a weird one. Rashford isn't in form at all otherwise he'd make it easier, while Fred will be useful. Sancho has been on fire on the left but think we need these players out there. Can easily be Rashford on the right with Fred on the bench. Though I'd save that for the home leg.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    The big one and Ralfs first real test against a big side and a big personality in Simeone. Can't wait.

Irwin99

Wouldn't mind a draw and then take them back to OT. Would be fine to see us park the boss over there.

PoTMS

Wouldn't mind a draw and then take them back to OT. Would be fine to see us park the boss over there.
    We need to win. I am much more confident in us getting a win away from home than I am at Old Trafford these days. 1-1 or 0-x is becoming a far too familiar scoreline.

KingCavani

A huge test.

We’ve clearly made a lot of progress but this is an intimidating prospect. You just know that with their league form the way it is that they’ll be hugely up for this.

Can’t wait for it this. I’ve been pretty disillusioned with football for a long time but this feels like a throwback to the amazing European nights I grew up on.

Northstand

Those conditions today will really have sapped a lot of energy from the players, and United have a day less to recover. It was especially surprising that Ralf kept Ronaldo on for almost the entire game.

Giggsy13

I think we might revert back to a 4-2-2-2:

De Gea

Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred McT

Sancho Pogba

Bruno

Ronaldo

Interval

Level
    2-0 Atletico. Or 1-0 if they really behave like pussies after scoring. We don’t have the squad strength to play match their intensity

Niemans

Supports
    Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
    Unpredictable match in the result. Atletico will park the bus in and look for a counterattack.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    Those conditions today will really have sapped a lot of energy from the players, and United have a day less to recover. It was especially surprising that Ralf kept Ronaldo on for almost the entire game.
    True. They'll be tired after that, not ideal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
    I really think this'll be a grind and 0-0 would be OK considering there isn't away goals any more.

Bwuk

De Gea
    Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Telles
    McTominay
    Pogba - Fred
    Bruno
    Sancho - Ronaldo​

rooney2009

This is what Ronaldo came back for and has been reserving all his energy for
    I’m sure he will score but we need to play a midfield 3

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    So hard to call. I think we go 4-5-1 and try to keep it tight and hit them on the break. If Sancho Bruno Pogba and Ronaldo show up we could end up going to town on them. If we move it about slowly and are ponderous in the press and weak in the tackle then they will run us around, tire us out and execute. Going to be watching it from behind the couch.

DeGea

It's Wednesday feb 23rd and not Tuesday 23rd right? Error on the first post.

Telsim

An exercise in futility to call this game. It could go any way and no result will be a surprise. Hope to see Dalot for AWB. And no Rashford, please! Sub him later on. I just hope McTominay doesn't fall for Atletico's bullshit and get himself sent off.

Last edited:

cyberman

Only City concede fewer shots against in the top 5 leagues. Lowest xg against in La Liga.
    That’s because the opposition already scored their goals hence their keeper having the worst save percentage in the top leagues. They’re terrible and it’s abundantly clear they’re awful when you watch them play

Devil may care

I know Ronaldo's CL record is immense but I'd go with this for better balance and workrate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw