Atmosphere at PL stadiums

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The only football stadium (in England) I’ve been to more than once is Old Trafford and I haven’t been there since Mourinho was in charge. So my only impressions of the atmosphere at games recently is through telly.

The impression I get is that is that the atmosphere is getting worse and worse. From the complete silence throughout most of the Arsenal game (admittedly not an entirely new phenomenon!) to Brighton fans booing their team off after drawing with Leeds.

Is that anyone else’s impression? Fans now make less of an effort to support their team and are quicker to moan? The atmosphere at PL grounds is dying a death.

Yes, folks, another old man shouting at clouds thread. Plenty more where this came from!

Gopher Brown

I loved it when supporters couldn’t get into the grounds for 6 months, then immediately came back and started hurling abuse at the opposition and booing taking the knee. For so many it is a way of acting like a complete bellend for a couple of hours with no consequences. The football is just a distraction.

Skills

Snitch
"Football is nothing without its fans" was such cringe, false bollocks

Red_toad

"Football is nothing without its fans" was such cringe, false bollocks
Hmm ok so no one watches it and it’ll go bankrupt very quickly. Fantastic having fans back in the stadiums, not sure why people don’t approve

Nero

Fans are just a reflection of societal norms.

We now live in a world of entitlement, impatience and instant gratification.

Same reason why football forums have become progressively more toxic and hateful over recent years.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
at a match day i’m too busy trying to take the perfect selfie to pay too much attention to what’s going on. if i’m not ‘gramming, i tend to be taking videos of the action and watching it on my phone whilst chatting with my bros on discord.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
We need announcers and recorded chants like in NBA games.

"Defense!" *clap clap clap* "Defense!" * clap clap clap*

"Let's go Man Utd!" *clap clap clap clap clap* "Let's go Man Utd" * clap clap clap clap clap*

::sonny::

Fans are just a reflection of societal norms.

We now live in a world of entitlement, impatience and instant gratification.

Same reason why football forums have become progressively more toxic and hateful over recent years.
Agreed

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

"Let's go Man Utd!" *clap clap clap clap clap* "Let's go Man Utd" * clap clap clap clap clap*
"Ole's at the wheel broom, broom, broom"
"2,4,6,8 who do we appreciate? Yoooooouuu nai Ted"

Red00012

Some of the grounds are so open it’s difficult to create an atmosphere and hear it on tv. I’ve been to most of the aways this season and I can say there is no problem with atmosphere .
West Ham is one of the worst we sang for 90 mins and it sounded like silence on the tv . Spurs away was another one .
Home support is usually just poor in general ( early kick offs , tourists etc) I’d suggest more more sound speakers near where the atmosphere usually is Stretford end , away end etc.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Modern day supporters are soft and spoiled. 40 years ago you had to literally fight your way into the ground and if you weren't chanting non-stop for 90 minutes best believe Daventry Dave and Stabby Steve would have a word with you.

I agree with Roy Keane when he says that "modern supporters just to take a few vids for tiktok". He didn't actually say that but he would if he spoke those words.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some of the grounds are so open it’s difficult to create an atmosphere and hear it on tv. I’ve been to most of the aways this season and I can say there is no problem with atmosphere .
West Ham is one of the worst we sang for 90 mins and it sounded like silence on the tv .
Spurs away was another one .
Home support is usually just poor in general ( early kick offs , tourists etc) I’d suggest more more sound speakers near where the atmosphere usually is Stretford end , away end etc.
Watching on tv that’s kind of what I mean. You can hear away fans but the home fans seem to hardly ever generate any noise. At any stadium.

Zlatanator

loud atmosphere shall be generated naturally. That is the whole point of going to a stadium...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I s'pose the shorter patience is part of the general relationship with consumerism at football games now and probably coincides with a rise in costs for attending, including travel.

Plus it's miserable weather and I don't think fans enjoy sitting in the freezing cold watching a 0-0 draw. I've been to a few games like that and it's hard to enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Elliot

Exciting football creates the best atmosphere. I have going to OT for many years and the atmosphere is massively better when the game is close and both teams are playing exciting football. 2nd half Vs Atalanta was one of the best atmospheres I have seen at OT for years.

Ole'sattheWheel

A good example of this is the Watford game.

The Watford crowd were a bunch of whiney horrible twats the whole match even though they beat us 4 fecking 1.
You'd think by the way they were moaning and bitching all game that we were playing dirty and showboating all match.

Horrible atmosphere, put me right off watching football for a bit

HTG

Supports
Bayern
If every club in your country gets sold to some dubious investors who promise the fanbase whatever they want to hear, it’s to be expected that the fans act like this.
English football basically gentrified their fanbases and now they are acting accordingly.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I've noticed a lack of energy in english stadiums lately.

I've seen more energetic atmosphere in Ligue 1 and Bundesliga despite the games having less quality.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I've noticed a lack of energy in english stadiums lately.

I've seen more energetic atmosphere in Ligue 1 and Bundesliga despite the games having less quality.
Well German fans are world renowned and the fact that they can stand and have beer and tifos and be trusted to sing and chant and so on means it's more relaxed and therefore easier to generate an atmosphere. Less touristy and more for the traditional fans.

Seen many a good video of Ligue 1 atmospheres too.

Unfortunately in Britain we've got a society obsessed with how we look to others so those that wanna make some noise are conscious of those that will look at them with dismay if they stand out and tut if you make a sound so they don't often sing or stand. Thus it has to be organised and even in traditional places in grounds it makes it harder to do because you need more people to make noise.

Couple that with the rise of insta/tik tok/families and tourists and Britain isn't the place for much aside from derbies and European ties.

Plus I suspect that honestly, after the initial buzz of being allowed back into things, we're all fecking worn out with COVID and can't be arsed with much of anything at the minute.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

I thought that the atmosphere at the bridge was better than usual tonight. Both sets of fans (Chelsea and United) were vocal, and while I agree that - on average - Premier League atmospheres aren't the same as those in Germany, France, or Spain, I'm surprised this is being discussed tonight.

Tonight had one of the best atmospheres this season.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A good example of this is the Watford game.

The Watford crowd were a bunch of whiney horrible twats the whole match even though they beat us 4 fecking 1.
You'd think by the way they were moaning and bitching all game that we were playing dirty and showboating all match.

Horrible atmosphere, put me right off watching football for a bit
A wee part of my soul died when I saw the scorer of the 4th goal Bonaventure wheel away to the fans in the corner only to be greeted by a sea of mobile phones. How passive a way to celebrate the club's best result in years.

The game might be poorer up here but I'm glad there is still raw and unfiltered passion up in Scotland.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Is this a bunch of blokes who don't go to matches giving opinions on atmospheres at live matches?

Makes sense.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The game might be poorer up here but I'm glad there is still raw and unfiltered passion up in Scotland.
Give over Ffs. You've picked up on one camera angle and decided passion in english stadiums has died?

The Watford pub I walked past 20 mins after by the station looked lively enough. Far more than your fecking empty grounds.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
First season Swansea got promoted I went to away games and got to see all the great stadiums. Atmosphere didn’t live up to the names but it was still a lot of fun getting to visit these legendary stadiums, and being in the away stands is a hell of a buzz.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well German fans are world renowned and the fact that they can stand and have beer and tifos and be trusted to sing and chant and so on means it's more relaxed and therefore easier to generate an atmosphere. Less touristy and more for the traditional fans.

Seen many a good video of Ligue 1 atmospheres too.

Unfortunately in Britain we've got a society obsessed with how we look to others so those that wanna make some noise are conscious of those that will look at them with dismay if they stand out and tut if you make a sound so they don't often sing or stand. Thus it has to be organised and even in traditional places in grounds it makes it harder to do because you need more people to make noise.

Couple that with the rise of insta/tik tok/families and tourists and Britain isn't the place for much aside from derbies and European ties.

Plus I suspect that honestly, after the initial buzz of being allowed back into things, we're all fecking worn out with COVID and can't be arsed with much of anything at the minute.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Give over Ffs. You've picked up on one camera angle and decided passion in english stadiums has died?

The Watford pub I walked past 20 mins after by the station looked lively enough. Far more than your fecking empty grounds.
It's an example. I'll give you another one. Last time I was in an English ground was when Newcastle defeated Mourinho's Chelsea at home. Despite beating the champions elect, the place was a library and I didn't a hear single song from the home crowd until the 85th minute. It was dire and, to pick up on Pogue's point, has became gradually worse over the years. Any mates who've gone down to Premier League games have said the same thing pretty much every time. As has just about everybody who has responded to the OP. Do you think the home supports in the Premier League generate much of an atmosphere?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's an example. I'll give you another one. Last time I was in an English ground was when Newcastle defeated Mourinho's Chelsea at home. Despite beating the champions elect, the place was a library and I didn't a hear single song from the home crowd until the 85th minute. It was dire and, to pick up on Pogue's point, has became gradually worse over the years. Any mates who've gone down to Premier League games have said the same thing pretty much every time. As has just about everybody who has responded to the OP. Do you think the home supports in the Premier League generate much of an atmosphere?
Just random anecdotes. You could have made this thread anytime post about 2002. I've seen no noticeable change in my matchgoing time.

Old Trafford itself is far better now than in years. Some fans will say similar, some the opposite.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Vetch Field has a special place in my heart, and even when were complete shit (which is probably why it was so great) it always had an electric/intimidating atmosphere.
The Liberty is still great though, but the Vetch was something else.

Still wonderful singers though, Land of my fathers is my jam

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
It’s terrible in all honesty, Scottish football not on the same planet in terms of quality but it’s in a different universe in terms of price, entertainment and atmosphere.

EPL top commercial / too touristy

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Unpopular and controversial opinion maybe but:
There are too many old middle class people drinking tea at the Premier League games these days. You need huge sections of young, tipsy people to get an atmosphere going.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think atmospheres have improved since the covid break. At least in the games I've been to. I went to a few league cup games where tickets have been cheap, more younger fans, hungry to see a game, good atmospheres.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Unfortunately in Britain we've got a society obsessed with how we look to others so those that wanna make some noise are conscious of those that will look at them with dismay if they stand out and tut if you make a sound so they don't often sing or stand.
Is this that common? I've never experienced it at any point, domestic or international. Is it a big club thing?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I can happily report that the Leeds stands still contain large numbers of neanderthals. A particularly good recent showing was against Wolves.

Sweet Square

The average age of United season ticket holder is over 50 and the average age for a premier league attendant is 41. Football is getting older, more middle class and more expensive which leads to a shite atmosphere.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It’s terrible in all honesty, Scottish football not on the same planet in terms of quality but it’s in a different universe in terms of price, entertainment and atmosphere.

Absolute bollocks.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Is this that common? I've never experienced it at any point, domestic or international. Is it a big club thing?
Might be highlighted more by my own introversion and worry but I suspect it's pretty common. Have noticed it a lot at different grounds when I've not been singing that people tend to tell others to shut up or make comments about them whilst remaining seated and silent otherwise.

We're a judgy country.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Unless Celtic or Rangers are playing the games aren’t even full. The Livingston Rangers game today was at Livingston yet it was a Rangers home game with them completely filling the stadium. Scotland is absolutely not better.