Attacking the space (Boss' leaving thread)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Timing, vision and speed are skills as well.
Agreed. Not trying to say that you just need to be an athlete to take the ball forward - there are obviously other contributing factors. Just trying to highlight that it's something we could see a lot more of given the average level of skill of your professional footballer. It's a confidence thing.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
Agreed. Not trying to say that you just need to be an athlete to take the ball forward - there are obviously other contributing factors. Just trying to highlight that it's something we could see a lot more of given the average level of skill of your professional footballer. It's a confidence thing.
I think speed is the deciding factor here. You have to be able to outrun opponents, with the ball at your feet. Most of the players talked about in this thread (Messi, Anderson, Ronaldo, Young, Iniesta) have speed in abundance. But not just speed is enough, you have to have the vision and balls to have opponents on either side, which some players that rely on being quick can't really handle.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'm not really just talking about those Anderson-esque runs, though (it was just an example). Speed is important, but it happens so many times in a game wherbey a little bit of pace opens up around the centre circle, but a player chooses to pass instead. Many footballers have the ability to look up, and see where it has opened up (and it isn't hard to simply run into space after this has been spotted).

There are certain situations in a football match whereby you do not need great speed, timing or skill; you simply need to look up and see the space that is there to be run into. One of the main faults of the English national team in recent years is that we have not had enough players that do this (or we have not encouraged players to do this). I know this sort of thing requires several facets, but it is the decision aspect I am going on about. I just feel that players should take the decision (or risk) more often, and that the reason they don't is because of fear of losing the ball.

Obviously, there is a skill aspect to it, but I'm just trying to stress the other side of it.

Chrisjn

How can you discuss something that is so obvious.

You don't run the ball into an oppositions foot/hand/body.

You "attack the space."

reddevilcanada

These opportunities don't present themselves too often, otherwise most players would attack the space more regularly. A few decades ago, when defending and tactics weren't as advanced as today, you'd probably see more 'attacking the space' from teams in general. Defending has become much better these days than a few decades ago.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
When you attack space, you're actually moving into a no man's territory, hence causing several defenders possible confusion as to who should be covering that, drawing opposition towards you. In a game of 11 v 11, there's always bound to be someone unmarked when they do so.

Notice how 3 opposition player got dragged into covering Anderson's run, not sure on who's job it is, leaving more spaces.

Good coordination and concentration will make sure that these runs got covered, normally it's late in the game when concentration are bit off

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The whole rationale to the OP is a bit weird tbh. It boils down to "don't dribble the ball into opposition players". Er... ok.
:lol:

Nice.

And really, the players mentioned in the op are ones with top class technique. They can afford to drive forward with the ball because their control is good enough to manipulate it in the event of defenders getting closer. Get a Darren Fletcher to do the same and hell lose the ball. I'm not sure what the point here is really?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You're just not thinking outside the box amol. Dig a little deeper and it'll open up a whole new level of appreciation for the game.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We needs to attack the space when you can release the Kracken!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Anderson attacks the space like a convicted murderer.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
The amount of stick I get on this website over the last few months/last year is actually incredible.

You can always guess which posters aswell.

It really is some experience.
It was a good post, just ignore them and don't worry about it.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
You're just not thinking outside the box amol. Dig a little deeper and it'll open up a whole new level of appreciation for the game.
Most arrogant 17 year old I've come across.

ASBOs have more respect than you.

and to think I felt sorry for you when Baldwin was bullying you daily. Stick to brownosing older posters and browsing wiki, staring at stats all day, when's the last time you even sat through a 90 min match? Let me not even ask about playing footy or attending because that ain't you. Stick to talking about players you've never seen, it might fake your way to another e-award.

Boss

I hear you Boss. It's vitally important to attack the space.

Watch Usain Bolt here, attacking the space. He sees the space, and he attacks it. They all do in fact. All of them. But he attacks it more. Nothing is going to stop him attacking that space.

Here's another example. John Cleese, the master of attacking space, in one of his most infamous space attacks. Watch him from 0.09. He sees the space. Makes up his mind, and then at 0.13, boom, he attacks it. Classic space attacking. All the way.

Mesmeric isn't it? Look at how he skips past that long line of men in smocks. Beautiful isn't it?

Now I've read Cleese is one of the few people capable of this in England. I ask, why? At times it's the quickest route to the other side of the street.

In Spain, where everything is amazing and brilliant and that, due to their slower style of play, the space is often presented more...often. As such it is ripe for attacking. Hard.

Ewanio McGregio was a fine proponent of attacking the space in his day. As evidenced below.

Why can't we do this more often? Why can't we just attack the space? Why can't everything be like it is in Spain? I'd like a sleep in the middle of the day. Why can't I do that? Why can't Darron Gibson attack the space? Why can't Michael Carrick attack the space? Why can't I sit outside of Lionel Messi's house singing him love poetry I've written in esperanto with my own blood and faeces? How can a team of lawyers possibly rule that to be dangerous and obsessive behaviour?

In summary. Attack the space.
Somebody will give this post a :lol:

or things ain't what it used to be.

Then again 'you don't care.'

Boss

:lol:

Nice.

And really, the players mentioned in the op are ones with top class technique. They can afford to drive forward with the ball because their control is good enough to manipulate it in the event of defenders getting closer. Get a Darren Fletcher to do the same and hell lose the ball. I'm not sure what the point here is really?
And this clown,

had it in for me ever since I called you out on your ronaldo fetish.

I've addressed the top class technique in the op, then again you act retarded on purpose as usual. I know 24/7 shite musicians (not all) aren't always the brightest but I'm not buying this.