Attacking the space (Boss' leaving thread)

Cina

I liked Boss

Always felt he got a hard time
You only get a hard time on this board by bringing it upon yourself. If I made a thread like this one I'd fully appreciate getting mauled for it, and bow my head.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Someone's just lost their general posting rights. Attack the space you space cnuts.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Hectic attacks the space like a pro.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
No, I mean it's Cider all right. It's the Cider-shaped vacuum that's been left behind I was talking about.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
You only get a hard time on this board by bringing it upon yourself. If I made a thread like this one I'd fully appreciate getting mauled for it, and bow my head.
I still don't get did what Boss did wrong here. I know all serious discussion has been ceased now, but it's such a valid point. Shit, one look at United in pretty much any game this last year proves the point, and we've a variety of players that can be used in evidence.

Take Jones, for example. In the grand scheme of things, he's not that fast, that skilled or that good a dribbler, but every now and then he'll just bomb past about 3 players out of sheer confidence in his own ability that he can do it. Then take Nani last night as a comparison. He is faster, a better dribbler and far, far more skilful, yet I don't remember him doing this once no matter how much space he was in. Same point can be made regarding the difference between Rooney/Ronaldo now as opposed to around about 2006. All players with better ability and pace than Jones (Rooney and Jones probably quite similar), yet seem unwilling at times to just do the simple thing and do what is well within their capabilities as footballers. Welbeck is another good example - I've seen him in the reserves and in his first few appearances for the first team look like a really good dribbler, but now when he gets the ball even if there is a clear avenue to just leg it down he'll just cut in and lay it off to someone a lot of the time. There are genuinely so many examples use.

It's something that can genuinely make a footballer a lot better, and is far more influenced by mentality than skill. What Boss was questioning is why there aren't more players that just do the simple thing and run forward with it given that it's not actually something that takes a great amount of skill, and rightly so. The answer is confidence and fear of losing the ball, and if more players got over the absolute barrier of nerves that stunts people in this aspect, they'd actually be so much better.

Sort of a pointless post given how long it's been since this was serious, but it was actually a very good point in the opening post.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I still don't get did what Boss did wrong here. I know all serious discussion has been ceased now, but it's such a valid point. Shit, one look at United in pretty much any game this last year proves the point, and we've a variety of players that can be used in evidence.

Take Jones, for example. In the grand scheme of things, he's not that fast, that skilled or that good a dribbler, but every now and then he'll just bomb past about 3 players out of sheer confidence in his own ability that he can do it. Then take Nani last night as a comparison. He is faster, a better dribbler and far, far more skilful, yet I don't remember him doing this once no matter how much space he was in. Same point can be made regarding the difference between Rooney/Ronaldo now as opposed to around about 2006. All players with better ability and pace than Jones (Rooney and Jones probably quite similar), yet seem unwilling at times to just do the simple thing and do what is well within their capabilities as footballers. Welbeck is another good example - I've seen him in the reserves and in his first few appearances for the first team look like a really good dribbler, but now when he gets the ball even if there is a clear avenue to just leg it down he'll just cut in and lay it off to someone a lot of the time. There are genuinely so many examples use.

It's something that can genuinely make a footballer a lot better, and is far more influenced by mentality than skill. What Boss was questioning is why there aren't more players that just do the simple thing and run forward with it given that it's not actually something that takes a great amount of skill, and rightly so. The answer is confidence and fear of losing the ball, and if more players got over the absolute barrier of nerves that stunts people in this aspect, they'd actually be so much better.

Sort of a pointless post given how long it's been since this was serious, but it was actually a very good point in the opening post.
It's not meant to be taken seriously of course.

You're allowed to show a bit of personality every now and again KingEric7. For someone your age you shoudln't be so disrespectful.

My career can be stressful at times, I should be able to come online and have fun now and again my brother.

Crack a joke once in a while, but being one yourself I guess you don't even need to. Smile, show some goddamn emotion.

The whole posting stats all day, wikipedia degree, talking about players you haven't seen, well it gets incredibly boring.

It's like a robot, it's completely mechanical. Enter-repeat, enter-repeat, enter-repeat. You're a fraud that sucks the fun out of the game. You're like Man City and Chelsea, you're plastic.

You try and ridicule lads who actually watch it, experience it. You even try and ridicule lads who play it and constantly take to the pitch. When's the last time you kicked a ball?

Take a look in the mirror my brother, or do you not like what you see?

Oh and you shouldn't talk about lads like Messi or you might end up making stupid comments again like he isn't a great passer despite constantly pulling off great passes.

You catch the assist to Iniesta the other day? or did you read it about it on goal.com? You and I know the truth.

Be honest, don't talk about players you don't watch or end up being exposed as a fraud which deep down you know you are.

Easy malleable posters fall for your shit, and you did it without actually having to watch games. You did it without having to see what you talk about.

That's incredible, along with the constant brownosing of other posters, that makes you an e-prostitute my brother. A complete sell out, people like you are enemies to football.

But you will do anything for props, that's you. You're a full time worker in the e-brothel. There isn't nothing real about what you post.

and for the rest of you, you try paint me as the new scholsey, give me this fecked up tagline in the process, same posters are always on my case these days but I'm not buying it. Criticsm is one thing, abuse is another.

Like Jayz said in 96, 'can I live?'

All a brother ever wanted to do was discuss football, sure we had lots of fun but the whole caf experience has turned incredibly shite recently and it's not worth it anymore.

The whole e-lynching is incredibly gay.

There always has to be a target right? Well it can't be somebody that doesn't post anymore right?

Who's next on the list?

Start selecting somebody now because I'm out.

The new Scholsey position is now vacant.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I passed 40,000 posts last night, see that? Discreetly attacking the space without making a big deal of it.

KingEric7

Ha, that was coming. It just baffled me seeing people like Pogue et al who clearly know their football in that opening page genuinely not understanding the point that was being made. Boss nailed it talking about players like Ramires and Diarra.

Cina

lolwhut? It was a ridiculous "point", stop trying to cover it up now Eric :)

KingEric7

lolwhut? It was a ridiculous "point", stop trying to cover it up now Eric :)
Well, if anyone can disagree with a convincing argument with what I said up there (regarding the psychological factor here being every bit as important, if not more so than the skill element), then I will accept that it was a ridiculous point. ;)

Thing is, it isn't, and anyone who has played football a decent bit should really understand and agree. It is not difficult on the face of things to just spot an opportunity and run through two players into space, but when you're scared of losing the ball or letting the side down, you can fail to even see the opening. You're too arsed with what's gonna happen afterwards or how pissed off the manager or someone else will be if you lose it.

Cina

Of course we understand it, the whole problem with this thread is that he tried to make some long winded, insightful post about one of the most blatantly obvious aspects of football. You would have to be incredibly dumb to not understand the logic behind it, his whole thing could've been summed up as

"Get the ball from point A to point B, and don't run into a defender along the way", which I think someone actually posted.

He deserved every bit of stick he got.

KingEric7

Of course we understand it, the whole problem with this thread is that he tried to make some long winded, insightful post about one of the most blatantly obvious aspects of football. You would have to be incredibly dumb to not understand the logic behind it, his whole thing could've been summed up as

"Get the ball from point A to point B, and don't run into a defender along the way", which I think someone actually posted.

He deserved every bit of stick he got.
It can't be that obvious, because not enough players do it! :D A good example to use about obvious points here is that of how Barcelona have been a revelation in recent times by focusing on some very simple and obvious things - moving for the ball and becoming accustomed to being in possession (both largely psychological things even in the case of the latter, whereby you can be absolutely sure that there are more players who are completely comfortable in possession in training). Granted that players like Iniesta, Messi and Xavi in that team 2 years ago were just flat out amazing and still are, the players were coached specifically and repeatedly in La Masia to move towards the ball - something which really doesn't take a lot of skill and just takes confidence enough to want to receive it. This is quite obvious, but is also one of perhaps 3 or 4 reasons why they pissed over everyone else in 2011. It's also one of the reasons why United can lack fluidity up front despite having players of the quality of Nani, Rooney, Valencia, RVP, etc...

I think a lot of people just jumped on the bandwagon in this thread without realising how much the acceptance of this point could actually improve the quality of the game and a team's performance so, in a way, it was a really good idea for a thread. Sorry, really not trying to be a party pooper or anything - just agree strongly and have always felt the same. Don't think Boss was trying to be overly insightful; quite the opposite in that he was pointing out something that was actually quite simple but for some reason wasn't part of many players' game. If someone had started a 'why don't players move for the ball thread' about 5 years back, you may have had people such as the ones in this thread going "what a fecking obvious point, it's one of the fundamental aspects of football", only to look quite stupid when a team like Barca comes along and shites out everyone because of their increased focus on that.

Cina

I'm not going to start any sort of logical debate in this thread, especially as it's in the general, but I think it was a completely shit post by Boss and the piss-taking was totally deserved, plus he'd already made plenty of dumb threads and posts in the lead up to the thread which is why people were in that frame of mind anyway.

KingEric7

Sheep, the lot of ya. ;) Fair play though, this thread lost its seriousness some time ago. Boss seemed decent from what I remember but I never really conversed with him much so couldn't say.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ha, that was coming. It just baffled me seeing people like Pogue et al who clearly know their football in that opening page genuinely not understanding the point that was being made. Boss nailed it talking about players like Ramires and Diarra.
:lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
The stick he got was more down to repeatedly stupid and attention seeking posts and threads. His "My boy Robson" thread being a case in point.

The thread was about Robinho.

KingEric7

We couldn't, because there are too many people such as yourself sitting down blindly wanking in front of the computer all day to take notice of real revolutionaries such as myself and Boss. It'll be a hell of a team that emerges when a manager buys/develops a load of space attackers.

Brophs

The One and Only
We couldn't, because there are too many people such as yourself sitting down blindly wanking in front of the computer all day to take notice of real revolutionaries such as myself and Boss.
Totally. Revolutionaries like you and I wank with our eyes wide open. 24/7.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I liked Boss. He wasn't really as mental as all that. It was Rihanna that messed him up. It's always the women. Bloody women.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I liked him too. He was a different guy over PM. Normal I mean.

Waltraute

She-Devil
I liked Boss

Always felt he got a hard time
I was on hiatus when all this happened, but the Boss I know would never flounce.

I guess Hectic might be on to something; that he had (at least) two different personas. He always seemed a very level-headed 'Football Forum' type poster to me. And we all get a hard time, which is what I truly love about the Caf.

Come back Boss, you know you want to!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
But of course we don't delete accounts.
Yep, I actually would have if it didn't have the effect it does.

Recently? If so, given his long term absence, this would truly be attacking the space (that he left by flouncing out).
Probably around a year ago or maybe 6-7 months at least I think. Very genuine request and I was sad it couldn't be done because he really wanted all traces obliterated.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We couldn't, because there are too many people such as yourself sitting down blindly wanking in front of the computer all day to take notice of real revolutionaries such as myself and Boss. It'll be a hell of a team that emerges when a manager buys/develops a load of space attackers.
:lol: Touché.