Aubameyang horrific tackle

norse

Looks worse than it was. But definitely a red.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That's usually a leg breaker.

mu4c_20le

Haven't seen one of those in a long long time. Reminds me of the Eduardo one.

Red00012

I hate how players feel like they can stay on the field up to a minute after seeing red. When he made the tackle he knows it’s a leg breaker yet he still feels the need to remonstrate with the ref.
It’s probably down to the ref to tell him feck off I suppose.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This, for me, is why VAR is absolutely necessary. There are obviously points to improve and players don’t like feeling robbed over hands being 2cm offside. The offside rule is a shambles, but then it was before VAR came in. It obviously needs to be tweaked in those cases.

However, If this happens without VAR, where we have no reaction from the players, or even the Palace bench and it has happened straight in front of them, then it sends out the wrong message. It is a reckless tackle that miraculously didn’t result in a very serious injury, hampering a player’s ability to earn and disrupting their career.

In a game without VAR, Meyer goes off, commentators make a remark about how Auba isn’t that type of player, he pops up with the winner and manager says he hasn’t seen the incident after the game but player “needs a scan” etc...

It was reckless, dirty, had no regard for the players safety, and if a more finely tuned VAR makes players think twice about going in like this it will have done its job.

Reactions: Penna

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I was at the game and didn’t think much of it at the time - wouldn’t have been outraged if he got a yellow. Having now seen it properly it’s a shocking challenge. Not malicious but still a shocking challenge.

DoomSlayer

It was a bad tackle and he got a deserved red. VAR did its job. Not sure there is much else to say to warrant a thread on it.
It's not just a bad tackle, that's an ankle breaker. The Crystal Palace player is very lucky to not get a career threatening injury.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Crazy how a tackle that bad happens and no one at the first time of asking sees it for what it is. It shows how fast the game is and how difficult it is to referee sometimes. Glad that VAR was in place and this is exactly the reason for it. Horrific tackle and glad the Palace player doesn't seem to have been too hurt by it

Art Vandelay

Picture looks awful. Video just looks like an awkward badly timed tackle. Doesn't look malicious, just an awful attempt at a tackle.

DoomSlayer

What am I supposed to do about it, burn an effigy of Aubameyang? They happen unfortunately. Hopefully the Palace player is ok.
I didn't say you have to do something about it. :lol: You just mentioned there is no point in making a thread about it, I beg to differ, we've had multiple of those when a player makes a horrific tackle.

Irrational.

I hate how players feel like they can stay on the field up to a minute after seeing red. When he made the tackle he knows it’s a leg breaker yet he still feels the need to remonstrate with the ref.
It’s probably down to the ref to tell him feck off I suppose.
His teammates were disgusting too. Instead of telling him to get off after watching the on-screen replay, Luiz, Xhaka, Kolasinac and Lacazette were surrounding the ref. I completely get standing up for your teammate but this was clear as day an ankle snapping red card challenge. Any player with an ounce of dignity would be pushing Auba off the pitch.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What am I supposed to do about it, burn an effigy of Aubameyang? They happen unfortunately. Hopefully the Palace player is ok.

Exactly, maybe spit out your tea and harrumph. Tackles happen, he got a card, move on.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Crazy how a tackle that bad happens and no one at the first time of asking sees it for what it is. It shows how fast the game is and how difficult it is to referee sometimes. Glad that VAR was in place and this is exactly the reason for it. Horrific tackle and glad the Palace player doesn't seem to have been too hurt by it
He got subbed off straight away.

Mindhunter

That's grisly. Hope the player at the receiving end is fine. Players may not intend to hurt others but lack of intention wouldn't lesson the impact of such reckless behavior. This deserved a sending off.

starman

It was embarrassing how much Arsenal players kept on arguing over it. Also trying to pressure the referee to get Palace players sent off after every foul as a retaliation, probably for thinking it was a injustice against them

Pagh Wraith

Look at Max Meyer for a totally natural reaction to a pretty bad tackle. Makes a mockery of all the rolling around and pain-distorted faces you see after the slightest contact.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He got subbed off straight away.
I probably worded it wrong. I meant that for a tackle that looks that bad, it could have been a career ending one so although he's injured, it could have been so much worse

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Exactly, maybe spit out your tea and harrumph. Tackles happen, he got a card, move on.
Except when someone breaks Arsenal's player leg, then it's a conspiracy against Wenger's babies. Sounds familiar?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It was embarrassing how much Arsenal players kept on arguing over it. Also trying to pressure the referee to get Palace players sent off after every foul as a retaliation, probably for thinking it was a injustice against them
Yes, it's a good thing your players are a shining example to the rest of us because they never do that.