Aubameyang horrific tackle

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thankfully no serious injury

Anustart89

I probably worded it wrong. I meant that for a tackle that looks that bad, it could have been a career ending one so although he's injured, it could have been so much worse
"Well his foot wasn't hanging off his leg so it doesn't look too bad"

Just messing with you, not having a go. Just sounded funny.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
10x worse than the tackle that Son did when Gomes broke his ankle. Just shows how luck is always involved with these types of things.

Would be amazed if he hasn't damaged ankle ligaments there, don't think Auybameyang went to do him but it was horribly late, red card is well deserved.

Looks worse than it was. But definitely a red.
How does that make ANY sense :lol:

Superunknown

Looking at that image in the opening post of this thread, it's an absolute miracle that there's no serious damage to that ankle. Look at how his foot is placed on the floor. :eek:

Definite red card. All Aubameyang can do with that one is hold his hands up, admit he got it wrong and accept the punishment.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He was trying to get a block, no intent to injure. Wasn't even looking at the player. The stop motion image doesn't say it all, Aubas motion was that of a block not of a lunge. The way that contact was made was more due to misfortune than planning. It's barely a red. Certainly not worth making a fuss about.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think there was malicious intent.. Just think its a very bad mistimed challenge... Definite red all the same

Nick7

He was trying to get a block, no intent to injure. Wasn't even looking at the player. The stop motion image doesn't say it all, Aubas motion was that of a block not of a lunge. The way that contact was made was more due to misfortune than planning. It's barely a red. Certainly not worth making a fuss about.
Barely a red :lol: :lol: :lol:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The reaction to the challenge is more thread worthy.

He's clearly hurt, yet no rolling, no screaming, no waving imaginary cards.

R'hllor

Actually tried to break a leg of that poor guy, he was lucky that scum missed and instead almost broke his ankle. He should get at least 8 match ban for that, disgusting stuff. Come on

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Good thing he got expelled and luckily he didn't break his ankle, that was a very reckless tackle and there's always the risk of injuring a player when making such a mistimed tackle. He didn't even tried to get the ball and went for his leg.

James_42

How can you say it's barely a red? It's irrelevant whether he tried to do it or not, it's a blatant red.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Aubameyang was already flying in before Meyer's second touch that takes the ball away. He tries to adjust but badly misstime it and catch his ankle in the worst way possible. 200% a red card (his first ever apparently) and a 3 games ban. I suspect a recent game's result to be responsible for the overreaction :o

Nickelodeon

It was a bad tackle and he got a deserved red. VAR did its job. Not sure there is much else to say to warrant a thread on it.
Seconded. Doesn’t seem like he wanted to go for the ankle especially in that manner. Fair Red. Good use of VAR. Nothing to warrant a thread really.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
How can you say it's barely a red? It's irrelevant whether he tried to do it or not, it's a blatant red.
I agree its a red, but with the chatter you'd think that its a two footed uncontrolled lunge. Its just a red, nothing more. He goes to make a block, and makes contact with the palace player who's shifted the ball. A strikers challenge, if you will.

TheReligion

Abusive
Course is a red. Intentional or otherwise it's reckless and dangerous. Brush up on the rules of the game son.

montpelier

I can agree that it's a forwards tackle, isn't expecting the kinda 2nd left foot play of the ball, for me.

Definite red, and fortunate the contact is reduced in force because of the stretch.

I don't think Auba is trying to hurt him, it's just a crap tackle.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Course is a red. Intentional or otherwise it's reckless and dangerous. Brush up on the rules of the game son.
Tackle or challenge that endangers the safety etc etc.

Just to say that it doesn't need to be deemed intentional or careless but there was nothing in it that indicated any malice or intent and the players weren't unique in trying to keep their player - Aubameyang - on the pitch, it happens most weeks with most teams and it shouldn't. Anyone arguing with the ref should imo get a yellow card and so on. The captain should if anyone be the only one to approach a ref.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tackle or challenge that endangers the safety etc etc.

Just to say that it doesn't need to be deemed intentional or careless but there was nothing in it that indicated any malice or intent and the players weren't unique in trying to keep their player - Aubameyang - on the pitch, it happens most weeks with most teams and it shouldn't. Anyone arguing with the ref should imo get a yellow card and so on. The captain should if anyone be the only one to approach a ref.
Would you like to have the refs mic'd up like me?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Would you like to have the refs mic'd up like me?
Personally I think it would be good for referees to be able to show the pressure they are under during a top flight game, warts and all, but I don't think it should be done just to entertain the fans, the game should entertain the fans otherwise it's the slippery slope to 4 quarters and marching bands and gospel singers.

TheReligion

Abusive
Personally I think it would be good for referees to be able to show the pressure they are under during a top flight game, warts and all, but I don't think it should be done just to entertain the fans, the game should entertain the fans otherwise it's the slippery slope to 4 quarters and marching bands and gospel singers.
I've been saying we need it for ages purely for transparency for VAR and their decision making. That said it would reveal what happens on the pitch too so for me its win win.

Rugby and cricket use it. The PL needs to catch up.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I've been saying we need it for ages purely for transparency for VAR and their decision making. That said it would reveal what happens on the pitch too so for me its win win.

Rugby and cricket use it. The PL needs to catch up.
Gentleman's games. The behaviour and etiquette actually exists in Rugby Union and Cricket. Who cares what Refs want anyway?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it's only a matter of time until the whole process is made more transparent. But I wouldn't be surprised if they want to wait until Var settles a bit and routine sets in. With such a drastic novelty being implemented and being subject to constant adjustments there has to be confusion and feck ups aplenty among the referees and I doubt they would want to broadcast that.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You already get the occasional game where a ref seems to forget he's there to facilitate the game not be part of the entertainment, surely we don't need any more potential interruptions to the game and more stars performing.

Thiagoal

The ex professional ref that BT had on also thought a yellow was punishment enough...quite shocking really

United58

Foot Mob app describes it as "he stuck out a leg and caught him on the ankle"

Talk about underplaying it!
:lol: Arsenal fan for sure.

One of my Arsenal friends:

"I wouldn't dispute the red card if it was given in real time but I didn't think it was a 'clear and obvious error' to give a yellow. It was high but there wasn't much force behind it, hs back foot is still on the ground.

Replay makes it look worse. The fact that he connected high and Mayer got up and walked shows it wasn't forceful enough to break a leg. In real time I thought yellow was harsh"

:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: Arsenal fan for sure.

One of my Arsenal friends:

"I wouldn't dispute the red card if it was given in real time but I didn't think it was a 'clear and obvious error' to give a yellow. It was high but there wasn't much force behind it, hs back foot is still on the ground.

Replay makes it look worse. The fact that he connected high and Mayer got up and walked shows it wasn't forceful enough to break a leg. In real time I thought yellow was harsh"

:lol:
I'm not sure why the phrase "clear and obvious" keeps getting used in relation to VAR, as it's pretty it hasn't needed to be that since the start.
All goals are reviewed, and offside doesn't have to be "Obvious", hence these millimetre decisions, and the bods in the office decide if it'll be a red card review, irrespective of what the ref decides.

United58

I'm not sure why the phrase "clear and obvious" keeps getting used in relation to VAR, as it's pretty it hasn't needed to be that since the start.
All goals are reviewed, and offside doesn't have to be "Obvious", hence these millimetre decisions, and the bods in the office decide if it'll be a red card review, irrespective of what the ref decides.
It's just the mental gymnastics people use to defend their point of view; the same thing happens with people defending José/Ole or castigating Rashford

montpelier

Shawcross was just a bit late on Ramsey with his late swing also going for the ball.

If we carry this argument across to that one. Obviously that involved more force and injury, Ramsey wasn't lucky like the guy today was to a certain extent.

lex talionis

No malicious intent, but it’s a horror challenge. Straight sending off all the way. Great use of VAR.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I didn't say you have to do something about it. :lol: You just mentioned there is no point in making a thread about it, I beg to differ, we've had multiple of those when a player makes a horrific tackle.
Maybe when the thread has run its course it can morph into a wider '2020 horror tackles' and we can add them all over the season and vote for the worst one.