Aubameyang - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Maybe we shouldn’t get rid of the emoticons. Maybe we need a much wider range to make it more obvious when people are joking

romufc

This is clearly a media story with no legs.

We can barely sign a 26 year old and we are desperate for a CB.

We have a budget of £100m this summer and £75m has been used up, I dont see anymore signings coming in unless we have sold.

We are a rich club that funds the Directors, we are merely a business now.

GBBQ

So sell Lukaku to inter for £75 mil
Buy Aubameyang for £50 mil
Arsenal can then buy Zaha which results in a £15 mil kick back to us. Our team is stronger and we end up £40 mil better off.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
I'd happily have Aubameyang if it means Sanchez goes the other way. It's a win win for both parties. Sanchez was brilliant for them. He suits their style more. Aubameyang would teach Rashford a few things about goal scoring, and we wouldn't miss Lukaku at all.
No way that would be a win for Arsenal, I don't think he's the same player, even his last half a season with us his level had dropped somewhat (at the time we put that down to him sulking, but I think he's definitely past his best). He wouldn't come back anyway, even if Ole told him he had no future, his bridges are burned and wages too high.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So sell Lukaku to inter for £75 mil
Buy Aubameyang for £50 mil
Arsenal can then buy Zaha which results in a £15 mil kick back to us. Our team is stronger and we end up £40 mil better off.
Not bad but the price for Auba is not realistic.

ravi2

This is clearly a media story with no legs.

We can barely sign a 26 year old and we are desperate for a CB.

We have a budget of £100m this summer and £75m has been used up, I dont see anymore signings coming in unless we have sold.

We are a rich club that funds the Directors, we are merely a business now.
I would love to be proven wrong on the 100m budget, because if that is the case we are going nowhere.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Very strange link.

We're clearly going with Rashford as the main striker, so much so that we're binning off Lukaku.
We already have Martial as the left sided option, and we must have learnt from our mistake of bringing Sanchez in which derailed Martial when in good form.

Then you throw in the high fee, and having been stung by players dropping off totally in level around his age recently.
And it being a rival.

Just no chance

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why is everybody against signing a player that topped the scoring charts? Just because he is 30? Even if he performs for 2 seasons, we will be in better position to land better options in the future.

Camilo

30 or not I'd have him here in a heartbeat. I'd have "no front flips" written into his contact, and he'd give us 50 goals in two years before moving on.

Top goal scorer.

Scholsey2004

I find this hard to believe. Why would we be selling Lukaku to play rashford centrally and then buy aubamayang?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
There's just no chance we will sell him. He's one of the very few players we should keep and can't afford to lose.

We need to sell spuds like El Neny, Jenkinson (seriously, how is he still here?) and Mustafi.

Word is that you guys needs a new CM, RB and CB. We can ship this lot up north for a small fee as a sign of good will after we took Sylvestre off your hands.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
You seem to only look at his games with Arsenal. As I said previously even though he is pants when he plays wide, he will get picked ahead of Laca for the wide position 9 times out of 10. But that's not the point because if he comes here, we don't expect that he will play wide. You seem to forget how he was playing for BVB when partnered with people that can genuinely make thing happen in wide forward areas.

Guess who was second in terms of big chances missed? Almighty Salah. Does he miss chances in loads? Yes but he scores for fun as well and if he is the sole focus of an attacking unit rather than having to share the role, give him a wide attacking ally and you will see the best of him. There was a time he and Dembele were europe's most lethal combo. I recall this vividly.

He may not be all things but what he does, he has the potential to do at an elite level. Arsenal for a couple of seasons has been al about trial and error. Just maybe Laca crowds out some of the space he would love to operate. I know Laca works hard for the team but he occupies really advanced positions a lot too. Arsenal basically use wing backs (mostly the young lad Mitland-Niles or so and Kolasinac) who have limited quality but have a dire lack of quality in wide forward areas which make them easy to contain the threat from the middle that Auba would normally pose. I am challenging any Arsenal fan on this board to tell me what they think the prospect would be in giving Auba a genuine lead role so that he can do what he can do to a world class degree with the right support from out wide.

Arsenal will be foolish to sell him an keep Laca. Well I pray they do so that we can see how well they can hold up with the great player that Lacazette is.
In regards to the bolded text. Aubameyang flanked by 2 class wingers, he would probably break records. He is just a goal machine. It is true he doesn't get involved so much, and a lot of the times the things he does on the pitch aren't so noticeable. Nothing fancy or elaborate that fans associate with being elite. Also I noticed most people nowadays get carried away by dreaming about having a 'false nine' as their striker. You have to remember though, goals are still the metric strikers should be mainly judged at.

He is very underrated in here because the perception neutral supporters have is that we are still the old Arsenal. Outplaying all the smaller teams, camping in their half and creating a bucket load of chances a game. Sadly that is far from the truth. You don't need to take my word for it, look at the stats. We created less chances than any of the big teams and below even some smaller teams, our Gk had to make the 5th most saves in the league. The team was very unbalanced.

In spite of all those struggles, Aubameyang was still banging them in. As you have mentioned aswell, he played RW, LF, as 1 of 2 strikers and just as a lone striker. Emery was also heavily experimenting with different formations. So his position changed often, the formation and tactics too, what didnt change was his scoring rate.

It is something he has done before at Dortmund. If you look at his record he is remarkably consistent. Despite playing under different managers and systems.

For Dortmund he has 141 goals and 36 assists in 213 games.

Last season in PL he had 22 goals and 5 assists in only 30 starts. In all competitions he has 31 goals and 8 assists in 51 appearances.

Since he joined us he has 41 goals and 12 assists in 65 games.

The stats speak for themselves, you can't really ignore goalscoring records like that.

About why Lacazette was voted player of the year, I will try to explain that when I get the time.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
You're forgetting he actually misses a lot of easy chances as well.
Aubameyang?

We already discussed that. He missed a lot of easy chances last season, yet his conversion rate was better than all the main strikers.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
This is what im talking about
Hahaha. He really has a habit of missing some easy chances. But that makes his scoring record even more impressive. He tends to score more of the difficult chances. If he scored all the easy ones but missed the more difficult ones, people would probably rate him higher.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
On the subject of why Lacazette won the player of the year award and not aubameyang.

To understand why we voted Lacazette as POTY, you have to go back to 17/18 season. We bought Lacazette for then a club record fee. The fan base was so excited that we finally upgraded on Giroud (who was a good striker, but was never prolific). However after initially starting okay-ish, he started to struggle with the pace of the premiership. Wenger didn't seem to trust him, almost without fail taking him off around the 60 minute mark in every game.

Then he was injured for a bit but came strongly on at the end of the season. His scoring rate while not too bad was exactly the same as Giroud, while his all round game was a big disappointment. Then in the January window we splashed out on Aubameyang. He of course started to bang them in straight away, much better rate than Lacazette.

So when last season was about to start, Aubameyang was the firm number one. Laca started on the bench in our earlier games. We almost resigned ourselves that Lacazette was a flop. Then the season started, he started to get off the bench. Instantly he started to make something happen. Also he seemed a completely different player, so aggressive, extreme work rate, chasing, putting in challenges, buzzing all over the pitch. It was a real pleasant surprise cos that isn't the player we thought he was. And if there is one thing all fans whomever team they support are a sucker for it is a player who seems to play with such passion and cares about playing for the shirt. Even the way he celebrated goals (when not doing a silly dance) showed his passion. He started to give the manager no choice but to start him, Aubameyang was pushed out wide to accommodate him.

Then add that Lacazette started to score spectacular goals, and most of them winners or goals that got us draws, he further cemented his status with us.

If that wasn't enough, last season he truly was our man for the big games, great goal to rescue a draw against Liverpool, a goal to put us ahead against spurs. Another wonderful goal to break Chelsea's resistance. Scored a goal away (counted as OG in the end I think) against United, won a penalty against United at Home. Compare that with Aubameyang who doesn't score as much against the big teams.

So in that context when it came to vote for the award, you can see why Lacazette won it. He really stepped it up last year with his all round game and sheer determination. Aubameyang on the other hand was a victim of his own consistency. We kind of expected him to score bucket loads of goals, cos that is what he has done since he arrived, so no surprise there. Oh also everyone tends to remember big missed chances, regardless if Aubameyang then went on to score a more difficult one later in the game. lacazette on the other hand, went from a potential expensive flop to a fan favourite.

Bearded One

In regards to the bolded text. Aubameyang flanked by 2 class wingers, he would probably break records. He is just a goal machine. It is true he doesn't get involved so much, and a lot of the times the things he does on the pitch aren't so noticeable. Nothing fancy or elaborate that fans associate with being elite. Also I noticed most people nowadays get carried away by dreaming about having a 'false nine' as their striker. You have to remember though, goals are still the metric strikers should be mainly judged at.

He is very underrated in here because the perception neutral supporters have is that we are still the old Arsenal. Outplaying all the smaller teams, camping in their half and creating a bucket load of chances a game. Sadly that is far from the truth. You don't need to take my word for it, look at the stats. We created less chances than any of the big teams and below even some smaller teams, our Gk had to make the 5th most saves in the league. The team was very unbalanced.

In spite of all those struggles, Aubameyang was still banging them in. As you have mentioned aswell, he played RW, LF, as 1 of 2 strikers and just as a lone striker. Emery was also heavily experimenting with different formations. So his position changed often, the formation and tactics too, what didnt change was his scoring rate.

It is something he has done before at Dortmund. If you look at his record he is remarkably consistent. Despite playing under different managers and systems.

For Dortmund he has 141 goals and 36 assists in 213 games.

Last season in PL he had 22 goals and 5 assists in only 30 starts. In all competitions he has 31 goals and 8 assists in 51 appearances.

Since he joined us he has 41 goals and 12 assists in 65 games.

The stats speak for themselves, you can't really ignore goalscoring records like that.

About why Lacazette was voted player of the year, I will try to explain that when I get the time.
I read this and your other post and what a balanced post it was. I agree with just about everything you have mentioned.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Missed a chance like that

This is what im talking about
Few days later..

Net result= still clinical. Yet opposition fans will remember about the missed chance than the ones he puts away.

Status
Not open for further replies.