Auction Draft Chaos 2021 R1 - Skizzo vs Pat Mustard

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Skizzo

VS

Pat Mustard

Skizzo Tactics

Keep it short and simple right now, not much changing from the first match. Simonsen coming in to the right wing spot to offer some width down the flank and also to cause some focus in that left defense zone of Pat's defense.

Basic idea to keep a strong defensive shape, marshaled by Baresi. Couple of strong full backs to support their wingers. Ronaldinho-Deco being the focal point of the attack to open up space and unlock Pat's defense. Scirea hopefully being kept a bit busy with Nordahl's physicality, giving enough opportunity for the three behind the striker to do some damage.

Pat Mustard Tactics

Formation: Zona Mista
Tactical Summary: Moderately deep defensive line, relatively direct attacking style. No undue emphasis on possession.

Having picked Keegan this time around partly as I regretted replacing him so early the last time I built a Zona Mista, I've heeded the advice from my previous match and dropped the poor bastard again. Sorry Kevin :(. Gazza moves upfield slightly to spearhead an immensely tough and industrious midfield trio that should wrest control of the engine-room in our favour even against Skizzo's excellent unit. Baggio, in turn, shifts forward to the second striker role, where he'll form a lethal combination with fellow Ballon d'Or winner Shevchenko

Ciro Ferrara slots in alongside fellow Juventus greats Scirea and Cabrini with his intelligence, versatility and sheer defensive nous making him a natural-looking fit for the Zona Mista. Scirea, Cabrini and Conti are all steeped in experience in the system, while Djalma looks like one of the best possible choices for the RCB position, particularly with an opponent of Ronaldinho's style and quality operating from that flank.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Having picked Keegan this time around partly as I regretted replacing him so early the last time I built a Zona Mista, I've heeded the advice from my previous match and dropped the poor bastard again. Sorry Kevin :(.
I like the Mackay Lerby base. I'd have just dropped Gazza

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Keegan is underrated but Gascoigne is simply perfect for that role, fully utilises his flair, industry and B2B game with a dynamic and a mobile forward duo and a sturdy midfield base with good ball playing abilities.

Quite the transformation that, from somewhat looking out of place in a midfield duo in a zona mista to slotting in seamlessly here. Can see Baggio & Gascoigne complementing each other really well too. Throw in Shevchenko too and it's all just :drool:.

Skizzo's right flank and Nordahl at the end of it all did give me pause for thought. Pat's defense is excellent but it is lacking a formidable aerial presence, as good as Djalma & Ferrara were. Rather unfortunate that Ronaldinho is up against Djalma and perhaps the midfield could have done with a wee bit more pizzaz imo.

GodShaveTheQueen

Gascoigne is simply perfect for that role, fully utilises his flair, industry and B2B game with a dynamic and a mobile forward duo and a sturdy midfield base with good ball playing abilities.
Does that defense and midfield and Conti really need a No. 10 with industry and of B2B nature?

Especially against Skizzo's defense, I think a pure attacker would have made a difference.

As it stands, I think this might end 0-0 with both teams finding it not too easy to break each other down.

Let's see if the debate changes it to 1-0 on either side.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Does that defense and midfield and Conti really need a No. 10 with industry and of B2B nature?

Especially against Skizzo's defense, I think a pure attacker would have made a difference.

As it stands, I think this might end 0-0 with both teams finding it not too easy to break each other down.

Let's see if the debate changes it to 1-0 on either side.
Keegan would have added more attacking thrust and goalscoring impetus, which could have been handy against Skizzo's midfield and defense but Gascoigne arguably elevates that set-up in a more than a sum of its parts manner, imo, bridging that midfield and offense really well. Do think that Shevchenko and Baggio carry enough goalscoring threat, but I get where you are coming from.

GodShaveTheQueen

Keegan would have added more attacking thrust and goalscoring impetus, which could have been handy against Skizzo's midfield and defense but Gascoigne arguably elevates that set-up in a more than a sum of its parts manner, imo, bridging that midfield and offense really well. Do think that Shevchenko and Baggio carry enough goalscoring threat, but I get where you are coming from.
Cheers. I am not an expert on Gascoigne, probably have to pick him some time to get the motivation to research.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Was Nordahl known for being dominant in the air?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Was Nordahl known for being dominant in the air?
Not sure if there's adequate footage to really make a judgement but there's a fair few headed goals here:

None of them really evidence an outstanding leap, but he was so big and strong that might be immaterial. I was really tempted to keep Mozer in the team to counter Nordahl's physicality, but decided that Djalma was too important to exclude given that Skizzo was fielding Ronaldinho on that flank. No denying that Nordahl's height advantage and pure bulldozing power is an issue here, particularly as Skizzo's balance looks so much better with Simonsen in the team, but I'm content with my defence's overall quality here.

Pat_Mustard

I like the Mackay Lerby base. I'd have just dropped Gazza
I did mull that over heavily as Baggio is so at home in either role and I do like having a diverse range of goal threats, but I looked at the Gazza teamsheet and it just seemed better. Joga sums it up really:

Skizzo is underrated strong in midfield also. Both Keegan and Gazza offer ridiculous levels of graft as well as their on the ball qualities, but I felt it was better to have the natural midfielder Gascoigne at the heart of the battle vs Cambiasso/Simeone/Deco rather than the second striker Keegan dropping deep if necessary.

Pat_Mustard

Also, Bepo
Simeone-Cambiasso has been my go to duo and I had that pairing during last auction draft iirc.

Also agree on inclusion of Gazza/who can help push Baggio to operate higher up the pitch. Also adds balance to midfield.
The one and only time that I accept that you should have beaten us was with the Simeone/Cambiasso midfield in fairness.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/la-liga-serie-a-buli-draft-1st-rd-skizzo-pat-mustard-vs-edgar-allan-pillow.415486

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Also, Bepo

The one and only time that I accept that you should have beaten us was with the Simeone/Cambiasso midfield in fairness.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/la-liga-serie-a-buli-draft-1st-rd-skizzo-pat-mustard-vs-edgar-allan-pillow.415486
Ha ha. Deco too. I can see myself drafting that midfield...again! I forgot about that. Skizzo's research got an one up on penos on me.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/p-g-draft-r1-mjj-vs-p-nut-eap.440617/

Another Simeone-Cambiasso pairing I drafted that lost the match. I'm starting to think they are jinxed.

Edit: Also I miss the 5 and 6 page draft game threads. Long way from today! :(

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

I was really tempted to keep Mozer in the team to counter Nordahl's physicality, but decided that Djalma was too important to exclude given that Skizzo was fielding Ronaldinho on that flank.
I don't think there was a need to play the 12-13th picks in this game (in case that was your assumption behind starting Ferrara).

Pat_Mustard

Ha ha. Deco too. I can see myself drafting that midfield...again! I forgot about that. Skizzo's research got an one up on penos on me.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/p-g-draft-r1-mjj-vs-p-nut-eap.440617/

Another Simeone-Cambiasso pairing I drafted that lost the match. I'm starting to think they are jinxed.

Edit: Also I miss the 5 and 6 page draft game threads. Long way from today! :(
Aye, there was more anticipation around match threads back then for sure, although in fairness there was generally an awful lot of repetition and nonsense spouted in those epic 6 page jobs :lol:.

I don't think there was a need to play the 12-13th picks in this game (in case that was your assumption behind starting Ferrara).
It was, and I am an exceptionally stupid man :(. Although I think this was probably my strongest line up in any case.