Auction Draft Chaos 2021 SF - EAP vs Synco

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
EAP

Vs

Synco

EAP Tactics

Team Dynamics & Player Roles:

+ Solid Defensive Line:
  • Solid central defence in Baresi-Vierchowod combo. Pace, power, Ariel ability, physicality, intelligence, they have it all.
  • Balanced top notch fullbacks in Lizarazu-Kaltz. Solid defensively, while also being able to provide attacking output consistently through the match.
+ Strong Defensive midfield shielding:
  • Dunga-Tigana is a physical and tenacious defensively astute pairing.
  • They have enough ability on the ball contribute to easy transition to attack.
+ Ronaldinho is a wide AM. In his peak career role, he starts out wide and drifts internally providing creativity and attacking impetus.
+ Beckham is in his usual right midfielder role. Bet it drifting outside or moving internally, his vision and exquisite passing and crossing will ensure a consistent supply of opportunities.
+ Lazlo Kubala is in a free role drifting SS/IR role. His direct running, pace and physicality will provide a ideal foil to goal scoring brilliance of Seeler. Beckham's presence outside will help Kubala operate in a more central role, where excelled in.
+ Seeler, a top notch goal scorer. His movement and ability to link up with others will bring the attack together.

Synco Tactics

This is the team I wanted to build from the beginning:

- a 100% Messi team, designed for maximum synergy between his magical ability and the attacking talents of everyone else.
- a back five consisting solely of elite defenders - Lahm was the last puzzle piece -, who are at the same time brilliant on the ball.
- a devastating 11-man pressing unit that can win possession high up and instantly turn the momentum against the opposition with speed, skill, and intensity.

Style
dominant possession football, verticality when possible - high line, high pressing, collective attacking and defending

Formation
fluid 4-3-3; Rijkaard in a midfield/defense dual role with an eye on Seeler

Key players
  • Messi playing his characteristically flexible game, roaming between the right half space, #10, and #9 positions. GOAT-level creator and finisher.
  • Rijkaard to situationally bolster the backline against EAP's front three - perfect match for Seeler's aerial ability & for taking him on when he drops to midfield.
  • Lahm and Zebec are well equipped to deal with EAP's fullbacks - marking them in defense, pressurizing their flank in offense. They'll reinforce the natural wide advantage my 4-3-3 has over a 4-3-2-1. (I'll eat my hat if EAP doesn't line up in a christmas tree formation.)

Attacking principles
Multi-pronged attack, positional fluidity, quick combinations, and the Messi factor.

Suárez and Villa have been ideal partners for the Argentinian in real life, as they will be here. Lahm, Zebec, De Bruyne will add to the overall attacking threat. Messi & KDB, and on occasion Modric & Rijkaard, can also score from the edge of the box.

Pressing principles
Proactive defending - intercepting balls before they get to EAP's attacking players. If a ball comes through, the back five can both defend passes into space and high balls towards Seeler.

Closely marking or blocking passing routes to Baresi, Kaltz, Lizarazu, and the midfield. Vierchowod and Casillas should be on the ball as much as possible, with no easy passing options close by. Especially Baresi will be harassed aggressively to limit his impact.

Exploiting Casillas' relative limitations on the ball by systematically pressurizing him into long balls - which can then be collected by Rijkaard, Ferdinand, Voronin, and (depending on the situation) Zebec.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What do you guys think of De Bruyne/Messi pairing? I actually think that right wing Messi may limit De Bruyne a bit, but it's probably few of Messi's latest ball-hogging years (which are still simply insane if we're talking about performance level) that obscure my judgment. With De Bruyne I'd like as much offensive width as possible — his influence rises in geometric progression with every additional target. False 9 Messi would've been ideal though.

Not that it won't work, of course, De Bruyne is smart and energetic enough to adapt to Messi's movement (and to move out wide when Messi moves centrally) — but I wanted to hear other people's opinion on this.

P.S. is this a young right wing Messi or a one from the Neymar-Suarez-Messi trio?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
With Edgar lining up in a more 4-4-2-ish way than I expected, some defensive assignments change a bit from the OP. Especially Zebec & Lahm defending Becks/Dinho more often.

But since defending is primarily zonal and collective, I think the constellations are pretty clear.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What do you guys think of De Bruyne/Messi pairing? I actually think that right wing Messi may limit De Bruyne a bit, but it's probably few of Messi's latest ball-hogging years (which are still simply insane if we're talking about performance level) that obscure my judgment. With De Bruyne I'd like as much offensive width as possible — his influence rises in geometric progression with every additional target. False 9 Messi would've been ideal though.

Not that it won't work, of course, De Bruyne is smart and energetic enough to adapt to Messi's movement (and to move out wide when Messi moves centrally) — but I wanted to hear other people's opinion on this.
That was the idea. But I think it's fair to see KDB as being a bit more of a sideman here compared to calling the shots at City.

(Also interested in other people's opinions, of course.)

-------------------------------
P.S. is this a young right wing Messi or a one from the Neymar-Suarez-Messi trio?
This is peak Messi (say 2011-15) starting from the right, but ultimately playing a free role with the team revolving around him in a total football sense.

With Edgar playing a two-man CM, Messi will certainly use central spaces a lot. That was the plan anyway...
Messi playing his characteristically flexible game, roaming between the right half space, #10, and #9 positions.
... but his intuition for spaces to attack will probably lead him there even more often now.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One of the new faces in the team... one of the best defenders - I'd actually say: players - of the 21st century, and key here to defending Dinho & driving the attacking play on the right side.

I'd recommend muting it & playing your favourite footy background music for 6 minutes. (The scenes mostly repeat afterwards.)

Himannv

EAP has built a superb team really and I think that right flank will be great at whipping in those crosses for Seeler. But I think Synco has got something special going on here - really nice concept and nice fits into the roles. I'd really prefer Alves to Lahm but that's the only negative I see at the moment.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good team @Synco Sorry had an emergency for the dog, so was not able to do much posting.

Rijkaard is obviously the GOAT, but between Ronaldinho and Kubala, even he's be hard pressed to defend on the counter.

I have to say I have the better CB pairing and arguable a overall better DM shield. Baresi/Vierchowod is pretty much top of the line duo. Esp with a flexible frontline, their pace and awareness will hlep me keep a clean sheet big time!

I think that right flank will be great at whipping in those crosses for Seeler.
Ronaldinho's trickery, Kubala's physicality, Beckham's pinpoint passes and Seeler's ability to bring everything together...I just feel I have more diverse routes to goal.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
For me Villa works better with Messi as a false 9.

In this system, a Neymar like figure is preferable.

On EAP, it's a solid team. But I think he made a mistake going for Seeler for 80 mn instead of opening another GOAT pack when he had 30 mn spare change. I am not sure what the score is, but going into the semis, I thought EAP was 4th best. Another GOAT in that team and it was game on against anyone.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Rijkaard is obviously the GOAT, but between Ronaldinho and Kubala, even he's be hard pressed to defend on the counter.

I have to say I have the better CB pairing and arguable a overall better DM shield. Baresi/Vierchowod is pretty much top of the line duo. Esp with a flexible frontline, their pace and awareness will hlep me keep a clean sheet big time!

Ronaldinho's trickery, Kubala's physicality, Beckham's pinpoint passes and Seeler's ability to bring everything together...I just feel I have more diverse routes to goal.
I was actually surprised by your formation, I would have thought you'd put a three man midfield up against mine. The way it is, I see two big issues:

1) Not congesting the center is a huge problem against a possession side in general, and against Modric/Rijkaard/De Bruyne in particular. Then you have to add Messi, and I simply see difficulties to stop my guys dribbling & combining through the middle. Sure, Seeler was great off the ball (no idea about Kubala), but it's still something else than a third midfielder stability-wise; especially the way it's portrayed in the OP/formation.

2) Dinho is fine on the left side offensively, but a LCM behind him would have given him freedom to concentrate on just this. But this way he's absolutely crucial for defending the Messi/Modric/Lahm side, which is probably not the role you want to see him in.

(I saw a few 2010 Milan games recently, and he was fine defensively, so I'm not wanting to imply he can't defend - but imo he would have been much better off in an outright attacking role with just regular defensive duties. This here overburdens your most important creator with stuff others should do imo, which will hamper his impact.)

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

1) Not congesting the center is a huge problem against a possession side in general, and against Modric/Rijkaard/De Bruyne in particular. Then you have to add Messi, and I simply see difficulties to stop my guys dribbling & combining through the middle. Sure, Seeler was great off the ball (no idea about Kubala), but it's still something else than a third midfielder stability-wise; especially the way it's portrayed in the OP/formation.
Beckham would be the 3rd midfielder as I see it. Off the ball, Kubala drifts wide on the right, Seeler drops in the hole and Beckham moves to RCM. Seems fine to me.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Beckham would be the 3rd midfielder as I see it. Off the ball, Kubala drifts wide on the right, Seeler drops in the hole and Beckham moves to RCM. Seems fine to me.
To be honest, I don't see an indication of such a plan in the OP. Especially the respective positioning of Dunga and Tigana suggests otherwise, imo.

From the OP, I'd expect a 4-4-2 defensive formation with Dinho/Becks wide. But I'll wait what EAP says.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

On EAP, it's a solid team. But I think he made a mistake going for Seeler for 80 mn instead of opening another GOAT pack when he had 30 mn spare change. I am not sure what the score is, but going into the semis, I thought EAP was 4th best. Another GOAT in that team and it was game on against anyone.
Was expecting Edgar to go all out on the remaining packs too. There's a reason they were called legendary packs.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Damn, I hope the dog's okay? Much more important than anything else here.
Yeah, he's fine. Spent the night in hospital and now back home recovering! Thanks for asking!

But I think he made a mistake going for Seeler for 80 mn instead of opening another GOAT pack when he had 30 mn spare change.
Was expecting Edgar to go all out on the remaining packs too.
Well, letting Gio get Pele was the mistake I regret in hindsight. I didn't feel opening another FW pack was necessary right now. The only FWs that I'd see an upgrade to my team are are probably R9 or MvB, but for this formation I think the difference isn't that much. Seeler at this peak was goal every game, very much similar to R9 (Barca) or MvB (Ajax). He combines solid on the ground talent with stellar ariel ability and a hefty workrate.

2) Dinho is fine on the left side offensively, but a LCM behind him would have given him freedom to concentrate on just this. But this way he's absolutely crucial for defending the Messi/Modric/Lahm side, which is probably not the role you want to see him in.
Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho has been played in 4-2-3-1 many times in drafts before. I strictly don't see him better in 4-3-3 needing an LCM to be at his peak. Dunga/Tigana is more than sufficient shield and I don't see need for another B2B. Lizarazu is a top tier LB and his support is more than enough for this formation.

Beckham + Midfield

As to the midfield battle, Beckham is more right midfielder than a outright winger as mentioned in OP. It just his normal game to drift interior when he's deeper. Having a RCB when I have Becks is quite superfluous.

Kubala

As to to Kubala, there's not much on him, but I've watched whatever's available again before I picked him.

1. His workrate is immense. He regularly drops to centre midfield defensively and does quite a bit of orchestrating the game.
2. He is very physical and almost impossible to get off the ball. Ball protection is right up there. It'd be a good match vs Rijkaard but I don't see any of your CMs able to handle him defensively.

vs Rijkaard

I have immense respect for Rijkaard and would not bet against him even against most GOAT #10s. As good as it gets in a DM. The only way past him is to have multiple people running into the DM area and moving the ball past him...which is what is happening here. He's up against Ronaldinho and Kubala and between them, I have enough of punch to get to your backline consistently.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
- a devastating 11-man pressing unit that can win possession high up and instantly turn the momentum against the opposition with speed, skill, and intensity.
dominant possession football, verticality when possible - high line, high pressing, collective attacking and defending
It sure is a solid backline, but Rio has had his issues adapting to it. He certainly has the physical attributes, but if we take real life as a factor, he would not be my first choice for a high line, high recovery type team. And the times United played there, the lack of settling in far outweighed his physical attributes if I recall correctly and we weren't defensively solid that much. I suspect argument can be made for both Voronin and Rio that despite stats, they'd struggle to settle in high line set up without an extensive season of settling on behind them.

GodShaveTheQueen

Was expecting Edgar to go all out on the remaining packs too. There's a reason they were called legendary packs.
Those packs sucked man. Makes the rest of the drafting a bit pointless when you can just add Pele/Baresi for peanuts as compared to the other players bought for lot more. I mean bought Law for 90 and Pele was available at 100. Got Robson for 120 and Rijkaard available at 90. Should have been priced at around 150 mn or something so people really have to juggle around, especially with the legendary packs. Might be a late reaction to the loss earlier today but I did feel the same earlier as well during the reinforcements.

GodShaveTheQueen

Well, letting Gio get Pele was the mistake I regret in hindsight. I didn't feel opening another FW pack was necessary right now. The only FWs that I'd see an upgrade to my team are are probably R9 or MvB, but for this formation I think the difference isn't that much. Seeler at this peak was goal every game, very much similar to R9 (Barca) or MvB (Ajax). He combines solid on the ground talent with stellar ariel ability and a hefty workrate.
Fair enough. This late in the draft, the x-factor really helps though.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Those packs sucked man. Makes the rest of the drafting a bit pointless when you can just add Pele/Baresi for peanuts as compared to the other players bought for lot more. I mean bought Law for 90 and Pele was available at 100. Got Robson for 120 and Rijkaard available at 90. Should have been priced at around 150 mn or something so people really have to juggle around, especially with the legendary packs. Might be a late reaction to the loss earlier today but I did feel the same earlier as well during the reinforcements.
I see where you are coming from but in the context of getting 60m in reinforcement money 150m would be out of reach.

Plus it was the same for everyone, of course it wasn't good for theme building.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, he's fine. Spent the night in hospital and now back home recovering! Thanks for asking!
Good to hear. We had a health scare with our cat earlier this year, and man, am I anxious in situations like that.
Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho has been played in 4-2-3-1 many times in drafts before. I strictly don't see him better in 4-3-3 needing an LCM to be at his peak. Dunga/Tigana is more than sufficient shield and I don't see need for another B2B. Lizarazu is a top tier LB and his support is more than enough for this formation.

Beckham + Midfield

As to the midfield battle, Beckham is more right midfielder than a outright winger as mentioned in OP. It just his normal game to drift interior when he's deeper. Having a RCB when I have Becks is quite superfluous.
Just to clarify, I guess "RCB" means "RCM" there? Would make sense that way, but if so: it was not about an additional RCM besides Beckham, more about the center & left side.

I'll be honest, I still have a bit of trouble identifying the exact roles of your midfielders + Kubala. (For example, GSTQ seems to have interpreted the formation/OP completely different from me, and both of us seemingly different from what you intended.) Perhaps it's best to leave this for the readers to decide instead of diving into a multiquote argument about this. It may just be me in the end.
Kubala

As to to Kubala, there's not much on him, but I've watched whatever's available again before I picked him.

1. His workrate is immense. He regularly drops to centre midfield defensively and does quite a bit of orchestrating the game.
2. He is very physical and almost impossible to get off the ball. Ball protection is right up there. It'd be a good match vs Rijkaard but I don't see any of your CMs able to handle him defensively.
I've seen one game where Kubala operated deep a lot (vs HSV) and wasn't too impressed - he didn't look out of place in principle, but he misplaced a lot of forward passes and very little worked out in general. (There's a match comp of it.) But his role looked a bit peculiar there, very little forward stuff, and it might have been a one off. Do you maybe know a match comp where he plays the way you want him to play here?
vs Rijkaard

I have immense respect for Rijkaard and would not bet against him even against most GOAT #10s. As good as it gets in a DM. The only way past him is to have multiple people running into the DM area and moving the ball past him...which is what is happening here. He's up against Ronaldinho and Kubala and between them, I have enough of punch to get to your backline consistently.
Defensively, the midfield is certainly not Rijkaard alone, but Rijkaard/Modric/KDB, and the latter two have proven to be exellent defenders with a DM behind. Such a setup (broadly speaking) is how both Pep's Barca and City have successfully operated, and physically this one here is superior to both imo. Also, if you count Dinho, you have to consider Lahm as well.

But more importantly, the idea of a possession team is not to outmuscle the opponent, but rather to dominate with possession, pressing, compactness. If the setup is right, the use of agile, technical players is an advantage. (KDB is a handful though, and Modric is a surprisingly gritty and tenacious defender.)

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It sure is a solid backline, but Rio has had his issues adapting to it. He certainly has the physical attributes, but if we take real life as a factor, he would not be my first choice for a high line, high recovery type team. And the times United played there, the lack of settling in far outweighed his physical attributes if I recall correctly and we weren't defensively solid that much. I suspect argument can be made for both Voronin and Rio that despite stats, they'd struggle to settle in high line set up without an extensive season of settling on behind them.
If that was the disqualifier, probably 50-80% of what we're doing in all time drafts would go out the window :D

I mainly try to get a decent picture of a player's traits and see if & how they could fit into other environments. I'm very sure that Voronin would excel as a modern central defender in an offensive team. You guys are the United followers here, so much more clued up, but my picture of Rio is that he also had the attributes to do it. But there's always a speculative element to this, no question, especially when combining players from 7 decades or so.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just to clarify, I guess "RCB" means "RCM" there? Would make sense that way, but if so: it was not about an additional RCM besides Beckham, more about the center & left side.

I'll be honest, I still have a bit of trouble identifying the exact roles of your midfielders + Kubala. (For example, GSTQ seems to have interpreted the formation/OP completely different from me, and both of us seemingly different from what you intended.) Perhaps it's best to leave this for the readers to decide instead of diving into a multiquote argument about this. It may just be me in the end.
Let me explain a bit more.

As said in OP, Becks will drift in and out as normal. when deep, he'll act as RCM and drift outside when he advances. This is nothing different from any of his games when at United.

Kubala will operate mostly inside as deep dropping #9.5/IR. He certainly has the option to drift all over the box, but I don't expect much playmaling duties from him. his purpose is to be a foil for Seeler and be a attacking threat. I can see him dropping back to #10 and linking with Ronaldinho but nothing deeper than that.

If that was the disqualifier, probably 50-80% of what we're doing in all time drafts would go out the window :D

I mainly try to get a decent picture of a player's traits and see if & how they could fit into other environments. I'm very sure that Voronin would excel as a modern central defender in an offensive team. You guys are the United followers here, so much more clued up, but my picture of Rio is that he also had the attributes to do it. But there's always a speculative element to this, no question, especially when combining players from 7 decades or so.
Yeah, I'd agree. Hard to establish a line between old time greats and modern tactics if otherwise. But then in Rio's case, we've actually seen it established on how he (and Vidic) struggled to find a rhythm in a high line. In theory, I expect him to be good...but practically it's a far more difficult proposition to just plug and play. If you just say "Pick peak Rio and play him in high line/high possession team" and I'd expect him to struggle. i know you've done a great deal on Voronin and I rate him as a DM greatly, but in a unique tactic...it takes more than just physical attributes. For drafts, I'd say it's a gamble. Personally, I'd not be comfortable, but will leave it to voters.

harms

Staff
When did Rio struggle in a high line exactly?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One more on Voronin.
i know you've done a great deal on Voronin and I rate him as a DM greatly, but in a unique tactic...it takes more than just physical attributes. For drafts, I'd say it's a gamble. Personally, I'd not be comfortable, but will leave it to voters.
His physical attributes were fantastic, but it's not just that: it's also the way he defended (including the understanding of the game it shows), and what he could do on the ball. It's the whole package. I reckon if Pep would have such a player today, he would absolutely consider him a great fit for a center back spot (although he could play a Busquets/Rodri kind of role too). It's perhaps best to explain my decision process for playing him that way:

Drafting Voronin was unplanned, I initially just upbid a low-balling bid and got him. While I considered selling him for a while, I also researched him deeper and the possibility of playing him as a defender started to emerge. (I already knew from draft discussions that he played as a CB-DM hybrid in 1962.) I already posted the match compilation against Eusebio during an earlier game - there are a number of compilations (all from harms and Joga, I believe), but this was the one that got me the idea first.

So I asked harms what he thought of playing Voronin as a high line/possession defender and got the following reply:
Yeah, I think he would be brilliant in that role.
So at that point I was 100% sold on the idea, and decided to keep him in my team. Here's how I see the player in detail, and why I think he'd be a great fit:

Traditional defensive attributes
As for pure defending, I guess there's little doubt about his prowess. He was able to mark Ballon d'Or level forwards out of the game, operating in all kinds of situations from his own box to the halfway line, and both centrally and wide. He was strong, yet very agile and well-coordinated, he had impressive pace (the Portugal game shows him matching Eusebio's in long sprints), quick reaction time, and he read his opponents' moves extremely well.

In addition, he had the aerial ability of a true center back, both in terms of leap and technique. In these regards, I see him as a great fit for a defender job in general.

Modern defending attributes
What's remarkable about Voronin is that, although he was a tough man-marker with brilliant 1:1 defending skills, he also comes across as a very modern defender.

He had a keen sense of distance and his marking style varied between passive and active defending in a way that (to me) resembles modern defenders. He was brilliant when engaging his opponent 1:1, but at the same time he didn't overcommit. Often he won or cleared the ball cleanly through anticipation, and by forcing the opponent into uncomfortable spaces and limiting his options. There's a strong element of controlling spaces and great decisionmaking/timing to his defending style, which I think was on an extraordinary level for his time and would fit right into the 21st century.

Ball-playing ability
I knew he had good technique, but what really opened my eyes was this compilation:

The way he's comfortable playing out of pressure, his ability to cleanly control the ball (5:17 to 6:00 for example), his passing range (including the left foot, see 0:37-0:54, 9:10, 11:00), the ability to carry the ball deep into the opposition half, his coordination, vision, quickness of thought - played as a defender I'd say he would be a brilliant libero. Both in the sense of playmaking from the back and defending sweeper-style (which I'm sure he could do just as well).

So when it comes to the necessary ball-playing skills in a possession defender - moving the ball cleanly out of pressure, playing sharp passes through the lines, diagonal long balls, carrying the ball forward into pockets of space to enable higher possession - Voronin had the whole package in my eyes.

(Beyond his ball-playing skills, the video contains all the defensive elements I talked about, so I simply recommend watching the whole thing.)

Conclusion / tldr
If you take all of this together, you have all the physical, technical, and mental traits of a modern center back, and a general approach to the game that translates well into the modern era.

Guardiola loved to play these kinds of technically competent DMs in his backline. He took Mascherano and made him a CB, he did the same with Javi Martínez, and as a plan B also with players like Busquets, Yaya, Kimmich, Alaba (albeit sometimes in a back three). So I don't see why he couldn't have done it with Voronin, whose overall skillset was probably more complete than any of them. (Not denying the specialist advantages of Busquets, Kimmich, Alaba, of course.)

To sum it up, the plan for my backline was to combine elite technical ability with elite defending on an all-time level, and I think Voronin ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Im buying voronin only in a high possession setup, though i did prefer him in a back three.

As for Kubala, @Gio and myself went through every possible footage when we were considering him and after we decided he looks like someone put Rijsbergen in the final third, safe to say i dont rate him and he ruins a lovely team edgar built.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Im buying voronin only in a high possession setup, though i did prefer him in a back three.

As for Kubala, @Gio and myself went through every possible footage when we were considering him and after we decided he looks like someone put Rijsbergen in the final third, safe to say i dont rate him and he ruins a lovely team edgar built.
Agree there btw, in a more traditional/defensive setting the obvious choice is to play him as a holding mid. Main point here is the Pep team format.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Yeah, I looked at quite a few videos of Kubala and was like this guy isn't great at all. It is possible that we just have bad footage. I remember thinking Amancio Amaro was poor but then there were some new videos in which he looked a lot better so I'm open to the view I'm wrong.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, I looked at quite a few videos of Kubala and was like this guy isn't great at all. It is possible that we just have bad footage. I remember thinking Amancio Amaro was poor but then there were some new videos in which he looked a lot better so I'm open to the view I'm wrong.
To be fair, the Barca full game footage (which is most of what I know) is way past his peak. He even retired after that season, and afaik Herrera tried to get rid some time before & failing to do so contributed to Herrera's exit and later that of Luisito. Although I admit my historical knowledge there is rather dodgy, so please correct in case of nonsense.

Did anyone look into the late 50s Spain footage?

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Surprised at Kubala reaction. Will try to post more on him over the weekend.
Yeah, I think you should promote him hard, in-game or not. This sure can't be everything, and I'm very interested as I can't quite figure him out so far.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Aye, that was a revelation given how well respected he is across the board. Some games he just looked hungover, clumsy and took poor decisions. His European Cup Final compilation is much better to be fair. So either he didn't age well or has a poor bottom level. In his defence as @Synco says the guy's peak was early 1950s so perhaps it's harsh to assess him only on his filmed games (a bit like judging Rooney solely on 2015-2018 performances).

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dont think there is a way of selling him better unless edgar finds new footage as we watched everything and he looks pretty average(no idea if all footage is post peak, if it is then tough luck, same as Nilton i guess(though with him is style rather then quality)) + quotes and anegdotes are pretty well known as were used a lot back in the day.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good game, Edgar! Lots of great aspects to your team, which I couldn't praise too much for obvious reasons. The entire backline is ace, both CMs are among my personal favourites, and Dinho - Seeler - Becks - Kaltz is a damn fine setup. The reboot was a good decision, imo.

harms

Staff
I think he’d be a decent (well, great) man-marking CB, but the thought of him as one certainly doesn’t excite me like playing him in a Pep-like high line does.

harms

Staff
Good game @Synco !

Surprised at Kubala reaction. Will try to post more on him over the weekend.
I think he’s one of those oldies who get fecked by an unlikely set of games that ended up on film. You don’t get a reputation like that without performing well, but in the games that I’ve seen he’s been quite underwhelming.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
A few late replies while doing the writeup for tomorrow:
What do you guys think of De Bruyne/Messi pairing? I actually think that right wing Messi may limit De Bruyne a bit (...)

False 9 Messi would've been ideal though.

You're totally right about all of this, it was just a matter of budget (with the final RR in mind). Suarez was actually bought for the option of drafting MSN, which I absolutely would have loved to do, but the opportunity never quite materialized.
I'd really prefer Alves to Lahm but that's the only negative I see at the moment.
Understandable, and mostly a matter of preference to me - I see Lahm as an equally great fit with a different profile. Considering the wide threat in the final rounds of such a draft (Dinho, now Facchetti), I prefer the more well-rounded Lahm there against the ball. As stated in the OP, I wanted an entire back five of great defenders for this team. And Lahm is still great as a wide playmaker & attacking RB, although Alves is of course on yet another level in that regard.