Australia Tour of South Africa 2018/Ball tampering

freeurmind

weak willed
Four Tests to come in March. Always a hard-fought series, should be entertaining. The 2 best seam attacks in the world on what should be seam friendly pitches. Wonder if either side will post 300+ in an innings in this series. Probably going to end up being ABDV vs. Steve Smith. No word yet on Dale Steyn's availability but he should be fit. Looking forward to this. Aussie quicks ran through a strong SA A side yesterday but they haven't looked too clever with the bat themselves.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The test series I look forward to the most! Hoping for 2-2 and Steyn to play at least couple of tests.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Four Tests to come in March. Always a hard-fought series, should be entertaining. The 2 best seam attacks in the world on what should be seam friendly pitches. Wonder if either side will post 300+ in an innings in this series. Probably going to end up being ABDV vs. Steve Smith. No word yet on Dale Steyn's availability but he should be fit. Looking forward to this. Aussie quicks ran through a strong SA A side yesterday but they haven't looked too clever with the bat themselves.
Actually think it will come down to whose tail bats better, Smith and ABDV might be constants but if all the wickets around them are gone it won't matter much. Cummins scored key runs once again vs. South Africa A and I have no doubt he'll score some more in the test series.

If South Africa continue to field 5 bowlers and De Kock bats @ 6 in his current form I think Australia will hammer them. Also looks like Du Plessis will miss the first test which is a huge loss.

Kazi

I think this will be the series where AB returns back to the top of this sport.

NinjaFletch

South Africa looked pretty ordinary for large chunks of the India tour. I'm not convinced Australia are that good, but I'm not sure they'll need to be.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They've selected a very good squad. Saffers will win this.

freeurmind

weak willed
Squad Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Quinton de Kock, Theunis de Bruyn, AB de Villiers, Dean Elgar, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Wiaan Mulder, Lungisani Ngidi, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.

Here is that Saffer squad. 15 named which is a lot. Not sure why Bavuma isn't asked to go find some form with the Lions. Going to be interesting to see the Sa selection policy. No Steyn for the first test and probably this entire series. Nice to see Mulder in there, he looks a real prospect. Klassen being named might mean QDK is under some real pressure to keep his place.

freeurmind

weak willed
Actually think it will come down to whose tail bats better, Smith and ABDV might be constants but if all the wickets around them are gone it won't matter much. Cummins scored key runs once again vs. South Africa A and I have no doubt he'll score some more in the test series.

If South Africa continue to field 5 bowlers and De Kock bats @ 6 in his current form I think Australia will hammer them. Also looks like Du Plessis will miss the first test which is a huge loss.
I agree, this may very well come down to which tail wags hardest. SA have got terrible memories of Aussie tails taking games and series away from them in SA. SA could pick Mulder or De Bruyn both batting allrounders in the top 6 and a keeper at 7 to balance the side but I feel Gibson is going to go for that 5 bowler lineup again which is a worry.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Morne Morkel will retire from international cricket at the conclusion of this series.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Morkel’s been one of my favourite bowlers in recent times. When he gets the length right, very difficult to play him with the bounce & speed.

This should be a good series. Hope Steyn can play some part in the series.

KM

I think the Saffers bowling attack is in good hands. Against India, he looked the least threatening of all their bowlers. Rabada, Philander, Steyn and then Ngidi were better than him.

Mani

Squad Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Quinton de Kock, Theunis de Bruyn, AB de Villiers, Dean Elgar, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Wiaan Mulder, Lungisani Ngidi, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.

Here is that Saffer squad. 15 named which is a lot. Not sure why Bavuma isn't asked to go find some form with the Lions. Going to be interesting to see the Sa selection policy. No Steyn for the first test and probably this entire series. Nice to see Mulder in there, he looks a real prospect. Klassen being named might mean QDK is under some real pressure to keep his place.
I doubt SA can win this series without Steyn,Philander/Morkel/Rabada good three man pace attack but lacks the cutting edge which Steyn would bring in.Batting largely depends on Amla/ABD and FDP to produce the long innings.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Morkel’s been one of my favourite bowlers in recent times. When he gets the length right, very difficult to play him with the bounce & speed.

This should be a good series. Hope Steyn can play some part in the series.
I think they're looking at Steyn playing the last two tests fitness permitting.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not surprising. Expecting Steyn to retire soon too. Would end up as a wandering t20 player mostly
Steyn and Amla turn 35 this year. De Villiers and Du Plessis turn 34 this year so there will be a changing of the guard in their team soon enough. Hopefully their careers all finish without winning a home against Australia. Australia have got some history to protect in this upcoming series.

KM

Khwaja and Bancroft out. I don't know why Aussies dropped Renshaw. Absolutely stupid decision.

39/2.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Haha, on the radio station I'm listening to a commentator mentioned Quinton De Kock's ''devil may care'' approach. Not often a member of this site is mentioned on a cricket commentary.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
50 up for Warner in the nation that is his home away from home.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Warner out caught be De Villiers off the bowling of Philander for just over 51. Australia 95/3 at lunch. Smith will be joined by Shaun Marsh after lunch.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Worried about Bancroft at the moment. If he doesn't perform in the first two tests, he'll have to be dropped. Dale Steyn bowling to him in the third test is cover your eyes stuff.

paulscholes18

Quite even after day one, AUS are 225-5 with a current 48* partnership between Paine & M.Marsh

freeurmind

weak willed
Decent day's cricket. Pitch looks decent. SA bowled ok, a few loose deliveries.Bad light striking as usual in Durban. Tomorrow morning will be key, if OZ can get above 350, they will be in the driver's seat. Surprised de Bruyn bowled so little. Du Plessis deserves some flak for wasting the reviews, cost them later on in the innings and may cost them further yet.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia all out for 351. Happy with that as a 1st innings total. Mitch Marsh fell painfully short of a ton, dismissed for 96. Maharaj took 5 wickets.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lyon took two wickets in his first over including Amla for 0.

freeurmind

weak willed
Shocking, spineless, gutless, feckless and sadly typical of this batting lineup.

JezChan

Just saw the wickets from South Africa's innings - Starc is bowling absolute thunderbolts and Lyon is cementing the "AT" in GOAT.

I'm puzzled by Renshaw not making the squad, though I'm glad to be proven wrong by the Marsh brothers finally hitting their straps on a more consistent basis over the summer.

KM

Starc deliveries to dismiss Philander, Faf and De Bruyne were incredible. Not many batsmen can do anything at those.

MDFC Manager

Shocking, spineless, gutless, feckless and sadly typical of this batting lineup.
We saw this a few times in the India series as well. Just that we couldn't capitalize, and had some shocking team selections.

Australia should win this test, and the series fairly comfortably.

paulscholes18

Australia cruising to victory, but Khawaja away form struggles continue, good for Bancroft to get a 50+ and in quite good time as well

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Badly need to dismiss De Kock and the obdurate Markram then victory will probably come.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrific innings from Markram but was hoping he’d survive the day & set up a chase for day 5 :(

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia will get out of this. Lyon, Warner and Philander might cop some questioning from the ICC post match.