Australia Tour of South Africa 2018/Ball tampering

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
You can't seriously be comparing fixing with ball tampering? It's not even close to being in the same league of offenses. Everyone illegally tampers with the ball to varying degrees. Only the biggest cnuts get paid to under perform.
Whats with everyone using the argument everyone does it so it isnt so bad? Thats ridiculous. Two wrongs dont make a right and just cause the other person is doing it doesnt mean you have to do it. Doesn't integrity mean something anymore?

Hitchez

Whats with everyone using the argument everyone does it so it isnt so bad? Thats ridiculous. Two wrongs dont make a right and just cause the other person is doing it doesnt mean you have to do it. Doesn't integrity mean something anymore?
I'm just pointing out that everyone does it. I didn't say anything about it being ok albeit on the list of crimes in cricket, it's quite a bit down in my opinion and utterly incomparable to fixing which is a stupid comparison to make.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
A lot of the Australian team and coaching staff have brought this on them selves by the way they have talked about other players.

Broad for example who stood his ground after being caught out in an ashes match. The umpire didn't realise that Broad had hit the ball so gave him not out and Broad carried on. Although Broad was in his rights to stand his ground and wait for the umpire to call him out the Aussie team made a big deal about it saying that it was poor sportsmanship therefore cheating.

Lehmann's quotes about Broad. Now whose the one crying and going home? What goes around comes around.
if Broad hit the ball and knew he hit the ball then he should have walked, he cheated.
Not something to get carried away with but none the less with cricket supposedly :lol: being a gentlemans game he should have gone.

2 rights and all that.

I have no problem with the punishments at all, only the over the top outrage mainly created by the media.
Cheating happens in most if not all sports, yet people chose where and when they want to stick the knife in.
They never killed, they attempted to scratch a ball ffs.

Fully Fledged

if Broad hit the ball and knew he hit the ball then he should have walked, he cheated.
Not something to get carried away with but none the less with cricket supposedly :lol: being a gentlemans game he should have gone.

2 rights and all that.

I have no problem with the punishments at all, only the over the top outrage mainly created by the media.
Cheating happens in most if not all sports, yet people chose where and when they want to stick the knife in.
They never killed, they attempted to scratch a ball ffs.
Feck a gentleman's game it's a sport. It's the umpires call to decide if a player is out or not. The player has the right to stand his ground. It's not done often but it isn't cheating, at worst it is poor sportsmanship. At the end of the day it's not about whether Broad cheated or not. It's about Karma coming back to bite Lehmann in the butt.

Lehmann was quick to call out another player calling him a cheat live on TV, Radio and in the press and to ask the Aussie crowd to send him home in tears. He then decried the South African crowd for heckling Australia after cheating. The fact that he was the one who ended up going home in tears just completed the circle of him asking for another teams player to be sent home in tears.

Karma is a bitch and I don't blame the world press for throwing it back in their faces when they do it to everybody else. It's not just Broad he was the just the case that I used to make my point.

As for the sentencing I think it was a bit over the top. I agree with Lehmann, Smith and Warner losing their positions of responsibility but a year ban was a bit excessive IMHO. I still think they have got the cheat chants coming where ever they play over the next few years though. If you give it out you have to learn how to take it back.

dogwithabone

You can't seriously be comparing fixing with ball tampering? It's not even close to being in the same league of offenses. Everyone illegally tampers with the ball to varying degrees. Only the biggest cnuts get paid to under perform.

There's some distinction that needs to be drawn as far as the levels of cheating goes. It's akin to saying all serial divers in football (Like Alli for instance) should be banned for life because they cheat. If you're diving again and again then clearly you come onto the pitch with the intention of cheating.

I don’t think they’re comparable.

You might be a diver but you can’t go into a game absolutely sure that your cheating way is going to come to fruition. If the opportunity doesn’t present itself then you're stuffed. I think diving is instinctive, it can’t be pre planned in my opinion because of the speed football moves at. Yes, a lot will exaggerate a fall or even anticipate a foul when it turns out to be a clean tackle but that’s nothing like as cunning as these Aussies.

With Smith and the other two they’ve clearly hatched this plot in secret before entering the pitch. There is even sandpaper involved. It’s underhand, it’s sly, it’s deceit and it’s blatant cheating. There’s nothing instinctive about it whatsoever.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
A lot of the Australian team and coaching staff have brought this on them selves by the way they have talked about other players.

Broad for example who stood his ground after being caught out in an ashes match. The umpire didn't realise that Broad had hit the ball so gave him not out and Broad carried on. Although Broad was in his rights to stand his ground and wait for the umpire to call him out the Aussie team made a big deal about it saying that it was poor sportsmanship therefore cheating.

Lehmann's quotes about Broad. Now whose the one crying and going home? What goes around comes around.
The Australians are such cnuts:

Di Maria's angel

I made the same point earlier. Cheating is still cheating. I don't see any difference between Mohammed Amir bowling a no-ball from specific balls and Bancroft scuffing the ball using sandpaper.

However, we are humans and we make mistakes. I do still feel for Smith, mostly.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Anyone else laughing at Atherton just criticising the Aussies without referencing his own cheating whilst lifting his hand in and out of his pocket live on Sky right now?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I personally think the punishment is harsh. This will also likely end their chances of being captains. Ball tampering to a degree has gone on since Cricket was invented. A series ban would have been justified. Prime Minister and many ex-players getting involved made ACB jump to a hasty decision.
The punishment is too severe IMO. Especially given that the umpires didn't even feel the need to change the ball or give 5 penalty runs.

Although the Aussie public are seriously angry. Shame they aren't always as angry.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-you-havent-met-matt-lodge/ar-AAvezYo?ocid=sf

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He clearly says in his post match press conference that "the leadership group spoke about it and thought it was a way to get an advantage".
Which we now know wasn't true. Warner hatched the idea and involved Bancroft. We don't even really know if Smith knew beforehand or is taking a fall for not coming clean when they got caught out on the field.

jungledrums

The punishment is too severe IMO. Especially given that the umpires didn't even feel the need to change the ball or give 5 penalty runs.

Although the Aussie public are seriously angry. Shame they aren't always as angry.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-you-havent-met-matt-lodge/ar-AAvezYo?ocid=sf
Wow, great article.

"... No. If a sportsman really wants to feel the wrath of Australia, it seems, he needs to damage a cricket ball.

Not a woman."

Particularly scathing, that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
CA needs to have a word with themselves too. How wise was it too send Smith and Bancroft to that press conference just after the match.

Also stop comparing spot/match fixing to this. It's not even a comparison guys.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
CA needs to have a word with themselves too. How wise was it too send Smith and Bancroft to that press conference just after the match.

Also stop comparing spot/match fixing to this. It's not even a comparison guys.
It is about the same as diving for a penalty compared to game fixing.

Moonred

You would have to be special kind of stupid to compare ball tampering with the intention of making money by bowling a a deliberate no ball or losing a match.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Aussies are fecked without Smith and Warner

Hitchez

Who captains Australia for the long term? Looking down at the team, not a single batsmen you could say is completely secure in the team including Paine. Nathan Lyon perhaps given how popular he is.

I don’t think they’re comparable.

You might be a diver but you can’t go into a game absolutely sure that your cheating way is going to come to fruition. If the opportunity doesn’t present itself then you're stuffed. I think diving is instinctive, it can’t be pre planned in my opinion because of the speed football moves at
Someone like Dele Alli clearly goes into games with full intention of diving around and cheating. That's why I said serial divers and there's plenty of those around. That is no different to ball tampering and probably even more common form of cheating. Yet no one would want a life ban for diving because that would be excessive.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He clearly says in his post match press conference that "the leadership group spoke about it and thought it was a way to get an advantage".
Which we now know wasn't true. Warner hatched the idea and involved Bancroft. We don't even really know if Smith knew beforehand.

MDFC Manager

Feck a gentleman's game it's a sport. It's the umpires call to decide if a player is out or not. The player has the right to stand his ground. It's not done often but it isn't cheating, at worst it is poor sportsmanship. At the end of the day it's not about whether Broad cheated or not. It's about Karma coming back to bite Lehmann in the butt.

Lehmann was quick to call out another player calling him a cheat live on TV, Radio and in the press and to ask the Aussie crowd to send him home in tears. He then decried the South African crowd for heckling Australia after cheating. The fact that he was the one who ended up going home in tears just completed the circle of him asking for another teams player to be sent home in tears.

Karma is a bitch and I don't blame the world press for throwing it back in their faces when they do it to everybody else. It's not just Broad he was the just the case that I used to make my point.
Just glorious all around :drool::drool:

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
My point is Australia made a huge deal out of something they regularly do.
aye, and my point is no team is whiter than white. Either on the field or off it.
I have said before I have no problem with the punishments but other authorities have to follow suit or it is pointless and the witch hunt is way over the top and uncalled for.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Markram looks a really impressive player. Terrific start to his career.

Skills

Snitch
De Villiers is just so consistent. Another pretty important contribution from him this series.

Di Maria's angel

Starc is the Australian Shane Bond. Such a shame he seems to always been injured. Testing times for Australia without their three best players.

dogwithabone

Who captains Australia for the long term? Looking down at the team, not a single batsmen you could say is completely secure in the team including Paine. Nathan Lyon perhaps given how popular he is.

Someone like Dele Alli clearly goes into games with full intention of diving around and cheating. That's why I said serial divers and there's plenty of those around. That is no different to ball tampering and probably even more common form of cheating. Yet no one would want a life ban for diving because that would be excessive.
I’d put my life on it that every top manager has told his players to make the most of challenges - in other words manufacture a foul or to put it more bluntly ... dive.

So you can’t see any difference in these two team talks.......

Fergie to Ashley Young or Ronaldo - Right, if you’re going at pace into the box and a challenge comes in make the most of it and see what we can get....

Smith to Bancroft - Pop down B&Q before the team meeting, grab some sandpaper and then when you get out there don’t for god sake let anyone see you do it but rough the ball up in your pocket. Three or four of us are in on this so just keep quiet.

As I say, the two are incomparable.

paulscholes18

David Warner is having a press conference at 1am (uk time), wonder if he will have corodile tears, or make a retirement speech of some sort