"Average" players looking godlike in weaker leagues

Bole Top

sometimes it just happens that average player goes to a league that is closer to amateur level and look like a prime Maradona there. sometimes it's not even the quality of league that is low, rather it's a case of decent/good player taking sideways move in his career and choosing money instead of challenge of playing in stronger competition. and of course, sometimes it's a case of player who was once world class but is not good enough anymore (mostly because of age) for the biggest clubs, yet his natural talent is still too much for weaker leagues.

Asamoah Gyan is a good example of what this topic is about. basically, he gave up on european football at 25 and went to play in UAE, where he was the league's top scorer for three consecutive seasons before moving to China. his record there is 128 goals in 120 appearances.

also, Bradley Wright-Phillips, who is playing for New York Red Bulls. MLS golden boot 2014 and 2016, currently on 81 goals in 137 games.

J. Soriano, former Barcelona B player when he was playing for Salzburg in Austria. scored 172 goals in 202 games.

G. Hoarau, if anyone still remembers him. currently toying with defences in Switzerland, where he is league's top scorer. he's on 53 goals from 70 games, but unfortunately for Young Boys, it wasn't enough to take the title from Basel.

funny enough, Basel has Seydou Doumbia who also looked like Ronaldo when he was playing for Young Boys. he scored 57 goals in 78 games there and later moved to Russia where he scored 84 goals in 129 games for CSKA. he was pretty shit for Roma and Newcastle and now he's scoring for fun again in Basel (14 goals in 19 games).

well?

Tarrou

Ronaldo in La Liga? Maybe not.

Few good examples in the SPL, Anthony Stokes looked like Messi up there.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
sometimes it just happens that average player goes to a league that is closer to amateur level and look like a prime Maradona there. sometimes it's not even the quality of league that is low, rather it's a case of decent/good player taking sideways move in his career and choosing money instead of challenge of playing in stronger competition. and of course, sometimes it's a case of player who was once world class but is not good enough anymore (mostly because of age) for the biggest clubs, yet his natural talent is still too much for weaker leagues.

Asamoah Gyan is a good example of what this topic is about. basically, he gave up on european football at 25 and went to play in UAE, where he was the league's top scorer for three consecutive seasons before moving to China. his record there is 128 goals in 120 appearances.

also, Bradley Wright-Phillips, who is playing for New York Red Bulls. MLS golden boot 2014 and 2016, currently on 81 goals in 137 games.

J. Soriano, former Barcelona B player when he was playing for Salzburg in Austria. scored 172 goals in 202 games.

G. Hoarau, if anyone still remembers him. currently toying with defences in Switzerland, where he is league's top scorer. he's on 53 goals from 70 games, but unfortunately for Young Boys, it wasn't enough to take the title from Basel.

funny enough, Basel has Seydou Doumbia who also looked like Ronaldo when he was playing for Young Boys. he scored 57 goals in 78 games there and later moved to Russia where he scored 84 goals in 129 games for CSKA. he was pretty shit for Roma and Newcastle and now he's scoring for fun again in Basel (14 goals in 19 games).

well?
Interesting thread.

Don't have anyone to add though.

Blind

Reading through the Eredivisie top scorers list brings up quite a few, for every Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Suarez there's an Afonso Alves and Vincent Janssen.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Coates in Portugal :lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Giovinco in the MLS. Unlike most pros he went there before he was 30 and he's pretty much been the best player since from all accounts.

Wasn't Celso Borges way too god for Norway and Sweden?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lee Trundle in Welsh Premier 2 is it?

Facundo Ferreyra wasn't good enough for Newcastle reserves yet has 12 goals in 18 for Shakhtar this seaosn

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sissoko at Newcastle, Lovren at Southampton.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What's happened to him? I had a look at wiki and he hasn't even made appearance for them.
He was too shit so they loaned him out to Genoa where he's played like, two or three times.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Di Maria in France, a past-it Falcao in France...

I'm sure there's a trend developing here... :wenger:
There are not viewed as 'godlike' players:

- Di Maria is widely considered as an inconsistent player. The most appreciated PSG players were/are Zlatan, Verratti.
- Falcao is part of a team where the 'godlike' player is M'bappé. Falcao is rather viewed as a survivor who isn't finished.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He was too shit so they loaned him out to Genoa where he's played like, two or three times.
Many factors explain his downfall:

1. Like Ben Arfa with Hull (never played for them), he has a big ego and complex personality
2. He was the choice of the president, not of the coach
3. Question mark about his professionalism and work ethics

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What's happened to him? I had a look at wiki and he hasn't even made appearance for them.
Well he's another one of those talented players with no mentality. He showed up in pre season out of shape, with some extra pounds and the manager excluded him. I found him plenty of times enjoying the Lisbon nightlife. He was one of highest earners at Benfica. A disastrous transfer for Benfica. It's not over, they will have to find him a club next year. It won't be easy with the high wages he has. Maybe ´arry can help out. It would be tirrific for Benfica.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Steve N'Zonzi.
Interesting case.

He seems to have a good reputation outside France, but never played for France. I'm sure most of French football fans don't know him.

I don't follow him so I can't judge his real level.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well he's another one of those talented players with no mentality. He showed up in pre season out of shape, with some extra pounds and the manager excluded him. I found him plenty of times enjoying the Lisbon nightlife. He was one of highest earners at Benfica. A disastrous transfer for Benfica. It's not over, they will have to find him a club next year. It won't be easy with the high wages he has. Maybe ´arry can help out. It would be tirrific for Benfica.
I'm not surprised :wenger:

Chip

Afonso Alves, Memphis Depay, Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, and loads of other players in the Dutch league.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Asamoah Gyan´s career has been such a disappointment, but can´t blame him for taking the money.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think the French league, Spanish league (N'Zonzi mention) really fit in with this thread.

welshmanc75

Marco Negri scored 20+ goals in his first 10 league games at Rangers. Finished with over 30 for the season.

Jaybomb

Giovinco would get into most Premier League sides in my opinion. He is a class wee player.