Awesome United pics

Moriarty

Bobby's final bow at Stamford Bridge, 1973. Shame we lost 0-1 but he got a great send-off from United and Chelsea fans alike.

Shaking hands with Billy McNeill of Celtic at his testimonial game in September 1972. The match finished 0-0. Celtic brought a huge support with them and the atmosphere was electric at a packed Old Trafford. Clive "the book" Thomas was the referee.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Should this thread be in the top section on this forum? Or merged with the videos one perhaps?

It's an absolutely superb collection of images.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Andy Cole on his way to a hat-trick away to Feyenoord during the 97/98 Champion's League run in a game best remembered for Paul Bosvelt's horror tackle on Irwin

Moriarty

1969 European Cup semi-final second leg and the goal that never was. Denis Law's shot crossed the line but was cleared away by an AC Milan defender. United won the game 1-0 but went out 1-2 on aggregate. Milan went on to beat Ajax 4-1 in the final.

2cents

Scout
1991 CWC final line-up

Moriarty

World Club Championship second leg versus Estudiantes. Not as rough as the Celtic v Racing game but not a pretty sight. Best was sent off in a 1-2 aggregate loss. Willie Morgan scored United's only goal though Kidd has one disallowed right at the final whistle.

2cents

Scout
Some of the early Champion's League campaigns were difficult to say the least.

Cantona leaving the pitch in Istanbul after the famous 'Welcome to Hell' tie with Galatasaray in 1993:

After receiving an absolute mauling at the hands of Romario and Barcelona in 1994 (in fairness we were hamstrung by the 3 foreigners rule):

Moriarty

As we're on the subject of rarity, here's Garry Birtles scoring his first goal for United against Swansea in 1981.

There was a joke doing the rounds at the time. The Mary Rose had just been raised from the Channel floor where she had lain for over 400 years. As she broke the surface, a Tudor sailor popped his head out of a porthole and said "has Garry Birtles scored for United yet?" You had to be there...

dsch

Just a suggestion---since this thread is now stickied and has gained a certain permanence: We might think about saving the pictures which are hosted on external sites (which seems to be most of them) and post them as attachments instead. Many photo-collection threads become collections of broken links as the host sites either go under or upgrade their databases (changing the link address in the process).

Moriarty

Back to Wembley 1977 for another striking image. I don't for the life of me remember seeing anyone sitting on the crossbar but here's the proof. Name that Red!

Moriarty

Banned from Old Trafford. 1971/72 season saw United play their first two home games away at Anfield against Arsenal and at the Victoria Ground against WBA. As expected, the fans were on their best behaviour at Anfield as United beat double-winning Arsenal 3-1 with goals from Charlton, Gowling, and Kiddo. Yours truly, aged 15 is in there somewhere.

Stretford End Phil

Bobby's final bow at Stamford Bridge, 1973. Shame we lost 0-1 but he got a great send-off from United and Chelsea fans alike.

Shaking hands with Billy McNeill of Celtic at his testimonial game in September 1972. The match finished 0-0. Celtic brought a huge support with them and the atmosphere was electric at a packed Old Trafford. Clive "the book" Thomas was the referee.
Tommy Doc later said Bobby made it easier for him by retiring. At the time some of us thought there was a problem between them and that his last game was away rather than at home so he didn't have to parade with the Doc. The rumour mill was as bad then as today. Bestie's going was strange and of course Lawman Left a lasting and horrible taste for everyone. Only 7 years before my mum hugged him on Piccadilly station and there he was back healing in our net on the last game. I coulnt run on the pitch because I just sat down too stunned and crying - very emotional day - like the world ended.

A lot of the younger fans were already relating to the new lads like Brian Greenhoff as the veterans retired. The rumours and the stories still circulated. There was a rumour that Gerry Daly and Sammy McIlroy were divided on sectarian grounds. Stepney seemed to go on forever. He turned into a penalty taker because it was said that as a team constantly running around, no one could kick a ball that wasn't moving. The final game when we got promoted I got caught in the surge and was nearly crushed against a barrier. A copper pushed the lads back so we could move - the cops were not always the enemy.

Mali_Zeus

After receiving an absolute mauling at the hands of Romario and Barcelona in 1994 (in fairness we were hamstrung by the 3 foreigners rule):

I think this is the first United game I ever saw or the first time I ever heard of United. Started watching football in 1994, relatively late cause I was 12 back then :)
first full game I ever saw was that year's CL final between Milan and Barcelona.

I rememeber asking my dad how come Barcelona beat United so high and he said sthing like - they're not very good in Europe. :)
I remember Lee Sharpe name sounded good. Stuck to my mind. :)

Little by little I watched more and more of United games, saw that cool guy Cantona, saw and liked their attacking football and I'm here now, being a big supporter who looses his sleep over United. :)
Back then it was hard to see games here, you could see CL games live but PL games were very hard to come by if I remember rightly. There was a show called Petica ( Five ) on national tv which had the best games from five best leagues in Europe (england, italy, germany, spain, france )
so there was a way you could see football around the leagues.

From 1994 to 1999 final when I jumped around and screamed seeing us scoring late 2 goals.

In the last few years I totally lost an interest in Dinamo cause all the shit that is happening in and around my local club. NT has a special place still but the corrupted guys at the FA (some of which are the same people as in Dinamo, Zdravko Mamić and crew) are doing well to make people hate the NT too or the things which are happening around it. Still love Dinamo of course but not current Dinamo but club which doesnt exist anymore. I love things which Dinamo represented and should represent.
This one is DInamo just by name.

As my interest for Dinamo waded my love for United grew even more accordingly, cause when you dont have a local club or you dont care how its doing you cling even more to a club few thousands miles away. :) (Roma being a bit closer :) )
Been 1st time in Manchester and at OT at Stoke game in the beginning of December last year and it was beautiful, dream come true.. I now plan to go at least once a year.

Now I'm in that state that I couldnt sleep last night thinking about our future fixtures. :D

Last edited:

Stretford End Phil

I think this is the first United game I ever saw or the first time I ever heard of United. Started watching football in 1994, relatively late cause I was 12 back then :)
first full game I ever saw was that year's CL final between Milan and Barcelona.

I rememeber asking my dad how come Barcelona beat United so high and he said sthing like - they're not very good in Europe. :)
I remember Lee Sharpe name sounded good. Stuck to my mind. :)

Little by little I watched more and more of United games, saw that cool guy Cantona, saw and liked their attacking football and I'm here now, being a big supporter who looses his sleep over United. :)
Back then it was hard to see games here, you could see CL games live but PL games were very hard to come by if I remember rightly. There was a show called Petica ( Five ) on national tv which had the best games from five best leagues in Europe (england, italy, germany, spain, france )
so there was a way you could see football around the leagues.

From 1994 to 1999 final when I jumped around and screamed seeing us scoring late 2 goals.

In the last few years I totally lost an interest in Dinamo cause all the shit that is happening in and around my local club. NT has a special place still but the corrupted guys at the FA (some of which are the same people as in Dinamo, Zdravko Mamić and crew) are doing well to make people hate the NT too or the things which are happening around it. Still love Dinamo of course but not current Dinamo but club which doesnt exist anymore. I love things which Dinamo represented and should represent.
This one is DInamo just by name.

As my interest for Dinamo waded my love for United grew even more accordingly, cause when you dont have a local club or you dont care how its doing you cling even more to a club few thousands miles away. :) (Roma being a bit closer :) )
Been 1st time in Manchester and at OT at Stoke game in the beginning of December last year and it was beautiful, dream come true.. I now plan to go at least once a year.

Now I'm in that state that I couldnt sleep last night thinking about our future fixtures. :D
Very interesting M-Z and nicely written post. You should look to see if there is a United supporters club in your area or region. If you look on the MUFC official website - Fanzone - Local Supporters Clubs.

There might be a local supporters club in your area or region. If not you might contact a local club closer to you or even a UK club and see if you can join them. Most of them now work by email so it should be quite straightforward.

The benefit is the possibility of tickets, travel deals and of course meeting people, which can make travelling easier. If there are enough fans in your area you could form a club of your own and become officially recognised by MUFC/OT.

Good luck.

Mali_Zeus

Very interesting M-Z and nicely written post. You should look to see if there is a United supporters club in your area or region. If you look on the MUFC official website - Fanzone - Local Supporters Clubs.

There might be a local supporters club in your area or region. If not you might contact a local club closer to you or even a UK club and see if you can join them. Most of them now work by email so it should be quite straightforward.

The benefit is the possibility of tickets, travel deals and of course meeting people, which can make travelling easier. If there are enough fans in your area you could form a club of your own and become officially recognised by MUFC/OT.

Good luck.
There is in fact a Manchester United Supporters Club Croatia which is recognised by United as an offical fan club. I am a member, should renew my card but I think I wont.
Problem is the guy who runs things there organises trips to games but for far higher prices, he is messing with money or sthing, charging the members for tickets and trips far more than the prices actually are. I remember asking how much would it take to go to Arsenal away. He said sthing like 300 pounds, trip, stay and tickets. I dont even know if he could have get away tickets. As I understand its hard to get them if you're from England, let alone Croatia.
Members which go to home games happily pay everything, the guy never looks for cheaper transport options and tickets for home games are about 40 pounds, yet he produced some crazy prices for them as if people cant check that on the internet.
I remember telling him about megabus and he said they never go by bus. thats all great if there's a plane for a nice price.. There is a flight from Zadar to Manchester but its about 200 pounds return ticket which is too much. Especially given the fact I payed about 70 pounds return ticket to London from Ljubljana.

Anyway its some strange business which I dont want to be part of.

I have one united membership and I hope I will go to a game again this autumn. Will renew my card too.

When I went to Stoke game it costed me 150 pounds in all. Trip to London from Ljubljana by plane and then from London to Manchester with bus. Sure it was a hassle and I needed to change about 6 buses (from zagreb to ljubljana, from ljubljana to ljubljana airport, from stansted to london, from london to manchester) but from that price it was well worth it.

Stretford End Phil

There is in fact a Manchester United Supporters Club Croatia which is recognised by United as an offical fan club. I am a member, should renew my card but I think I wont.
Problem is the guy who runs things there organises trips to games but for far higher prices, he is messing with money or sthing, charging the members for tickets and trips far more than the prices actually are. I remember asking how much would it take to go to Arsenal away. He said sthing like 300 pounds, trip, stay and tickets. I dont even know if he could have get away tickets. As I understand its hard to get them if you're from England, let alone Croatia.
Members which go to home games happily pay everything, the guy never looks for cheaper transport options and tickets for home games are about 40 pounds, yet he produced some crazy prices for them as if people cant check that on the internet.
I remember telling him about megabus and he said they never go by bus. thats all great if there's a plane for a nice price.. There is a flight from Zadar to Manchester but its about 200 pounds return ticket which is too much. Especially given the fact I payed about 70 pounds return ticket to London from Ljubljana.

Anyway its some strange business which I dont want to be part of.

I have one united membership and I hope I will go to a game again this autumn. Will renew my card too.

When I went to Stoke game it costed me 150 pounds in all. Trip to London from Ljubljana by plane and then from London to Manchester with bus. Sure it was a hassle and I needed to change about 6 buses (from zagreb to ljubljana, from ljubljana to ljubljana airport, from stansted to london, from london to manchester) but from that price it was well worth it.
OK so why not contact a club where the cheapest flights arrive - Manchester, Birmingham, London or Luton. For example contact the London Reds and see if you can join them on the grounds that there are no local clubs near you but would like to go to one or two games a year. Pay the £25 + one off lifetime entrance fee or whatever up front and become a member. Ask for availability of tickets and later agree a game. Fly to London, meet them in Victoria, pay cash for ticket/coach, and travel with the fans to and back for the game. I am sure some UK based club will help but remember there is a demand so it won't happen for the top games.

Mali_Zeus

OK so why not contact a club where the cheapest flights arrive - Manchester, Birmingham, London or Luton. For example contact the London Reds and see if you can join them on the grounds that there are no local clubs near you but would like to go to one or two games a year. Pay the £25 + one off lifetime entrance fee or whatever up front and become a member. Ask for availability of tickets and later agree a game. Fly to London, meet them in Victoria, pay cash for ticket/coach, and travel with the fans to and back for the game. I am sure some UK based club will help but remember there is a demand so it won't happen for the top games.
That's a good idea,thanks. Will look it up.
I know its hard to go to top games. I'm just happy to go to any game for now. :)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Banned from Old Trafford. 1971/72 season saw United play their first two home games away at Anfield against Arsenal and at the Victoria Ground against WBA. As expected, the fans were on their best behaviour at Anfield as United beat double-winning Arsenal 3-1 with goals from Charlton, Gowling, and Kiddo. Yours truly, aged 15 is in there somewhere.

Presumably that's you in the last one?

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

World Club Championship second leg versus Estudiantes. Not as rough as the Celtic v Racing game but not a pretty sight. Best was sent off in a 1-2 aggregate loss. Willie Morgan scored United's only goal though Kidd has one disallowed right at the final whistle.

Anyone remember the fella who headed home the winner for Estudiantes in Old Trafford in that 1968 intercontinental cup match? His son would score in OT nearly 40 years later. Argentine and Estudiantes legend el Doctor Carlos Bilardo was also part of that Estudiantes side.

Moriarty

Anyone remember the fella who headed home the winner for Estudiantes in Old Trafford in that 1968 intercontinental cup match? His son would score in OT nearly 40 years later. Argentine and Estudiantes legend el Doctor Carlos Bilardo was also part of that Estudiantes side.

That would be Witch junior - Seba Veron.