Awesome United pics

Stretford End Phil

And a selfie. Retired battle scarves from earlier campaigns. Left to right - 1974-75 satin still bearing wrist marks, with the 'Doc's Bionic Babes' motif, the 1977 FA Cup final scarf still beer and chips stained, and the start of the 1978-79 season with its genuine acrylic label retaining its unique softness.

Mali_Zeus

And a selfie. Retired battle scarves from earlier campaigns. Left to right - 1974-75 satin still bearing wrist marks, with the 'Doc's Bionic Babes' motif, the 1977 FA Cup final scarf still beer and chips stained, and the start of the 1978-79 season with its genuine acrylic label retaining its unique softness.
Wonderful.:)

Decotron

Glad you figured it out! great pic!!!

Stretford End Phil

The Groaners three years away on the bounce. Recall the players and changes but how about the music schedule on the bottom of the events page. All very entertaining but imagine brass bands in the age of Woodstock and pundits wondered why the fans started chanting.

Moriarty

Actually, it was Witch sr., Juan Ramon Veron who headed it home. Close enough.

How many father and sons have scored in OT? The Lumphards I imagine . . . who else?
Sorry, I misread your question. I was in the Stretford End Paddock that night with my dad and remember going mad when Brian Kidd scored at the death. Nobody realised that the final whistle had gone the second before Kiddo scored. Lots of dark murmurings about bent refs after that game but nothing compared to what was said after the Milan game.

Moriarty

The Groaners three years away on the bounce. Recall the players and changes but how about the music schedule on the bottom of the events page. All very entertaining but imagine brass bands in the age of Woodstock and pundits wondered why the fans started chanting.
I really like brass bands. As a nipper, I remember the Sally Ann used to form up at the end of the road on a Sunday morning and play hymns. My mother used to send me out to put a bob in the collection box.

Ian Ure. Arsenal one game, United the next. Do you remember when he and Denis Law were sent off at Old Trafford for fighting?

Stretford End Phil

I really like brass bands. As a nipper, I remember the Sally Ann used to form up at the end of the road on a Sunday morning and play hymns. My mother used to send me out to put a bob in the collection box.

Ian Ure. Arsenal one game, United the next. Do you remember when he and Denis Law were sent off at Old Trafford for fighting?
You mentioned having a look around. I went through some old boxes and found a precious few items, like the scarves and programmes. But, I can confirm there is little else.

There were allotments over by Crumpsall and Woodlands Road. Every year they held a brass band for prize giving and my Grandma used to go. There was also the festivals in Heaton Park, which could be fun with the fair. The Salvation Army often did a brass gig in Picadilly Gardens in the bandstand you might recall.

Yes the tiff between Law and Ure caused a stir and lengthy bans. It was the time when poor old Sir Matt seemed to be constantly up before the FA in London because of Best, Stilles, Crerand etc. What got me was why Wilf bought him, he never seemed to be a United player, probably why he only stayed a couple of seasons.

Best, Summerbee, Law and others often went clubbing. Back in the late 60s there was quite a nightclub scene long before the Hacienda and the 1990s Manchester. I remember going to one place with a relative, called Barbarella's. I had to rehearse a false birthday date to fool the bouncers. Named after the Fonda film. The players were there and were quite approachable if you remained respectful. The only pratt was Mike Doyle but then he was the original bitter Bitter.

Mali_Zeus

1993 title

1994 title

1996 double

The Treble

2008 CL title

Last edited:

SalfordRed1960

I always hated Shitty with a horrible hate, their recent jackpot prize didn't change any of my feelings towards them.
I always felt any City games in that era were a real derby. No so much now. Sure we want to turn them over, but I think the fact their team doesn't have an inferiority complex anymore the games don't have the same passion on the park as say a North London derby OR Scouse derby.

Off and On the park, I think Liverpool has got to be the main rivalry. Particularly when it is more than just a 3 pointer. Those who went to the '99 home game in the FA Cup will understand. It was nasty from Friday evening to well into Saturday evening. I am sure it is going to be one hell of an atmosphere at Anfield for our next meeting.

Mali_Zeus

I always felt any City games in that era were a real derby. No so much now. Sure we want to turn them over, but I think the fact their team doesn't have an inferiority complex anymore the games don't have the same passion on the park as say a North London derby OR Scouse derby.

Off and On the park, I think Liverpool has got to be the main rivalry. Particularly when it is more than just a 3 pointer. Those who went to the '99 home game in the FA Cup will understand. It was nasty from Friday evening to well into Saturday evening. I am sure it is going to be one hell of an atmosphere at Anfield for our next meeting.
What was happening, clashes or something?

Moriarty

Always a bit of the old ultra-violence against Leeds. This is the match, according to Fergie, that started it all; the 1965 FA Cup semi-final. First game at Hillsborough ended 0-0 with Leeds winning the replay at the City Ground 1-0 with an 89th minute goal from Bremner.