Awesome United pics

Moriarty

Martin Buchan is one of the best players to have worn the shirt down the years.This was taken during the FA Cup semi-final in 1979 at Maine Road. Buchan always seemed to show his absolute best against the Scousers but in those days you had to. It pains me to say it but they were that good.

Moriarty

If we only had this presence now . . .

Giving Stepney a bollocking. :lol: Nobby was madder than Keane when someone got his back up. Him and Giles used to go at it hammer and tongs, even though they were related by marriage. Stiles and Alan Ball used to get into it too. People said he was just a clogger but he was one of United's better players. Eusebio could have testified to that.

Moriarty

No idea what this was all about but Wyn Davies (who later played for United) is here getting in between Nobby and Denis. Looks like John Fitzpatrick who's holding Law back. The geordie on the deck looks like he's just clattered United's goalie (might be Jimmy Rimmer).

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Giving Stepney a bollocking. :lol: Nobby was madder than Keane when someone got his back up. Him and Giles used to go at it hammer and tongs, even though they were related by marriage. Stiles and Alan Ball used to get into it too. People said he was just a clogger but he was one of United's better players. Eusebio could have testified to that.
Yeah, a shame Nobs seems to be always remembered only as the "clogger" and "hardman" type He was so much more. Great on the ball. Many old timers insist he should always be named in company with Best/Charlton/Law

Moriarty

Yeah, a shame Nobs seems to be always remembered only as the "clogger" and "hardman" type He was so much more. Great on the ball. Many old timers insist he should always be named in company with Best/Charlton/Law

I remember Easter 1967 and the run in to the title. Law picked up an injury and we were scheduled to play Fulham, home and away, over two days. Matt played Nobby as a striker. He scored at Craven Cottage in a 2-2 draw then scored the winner at Old Trafford the next day. Law was back against West Ham a few days later and Nobby reverted to his wing half role.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Arsenal-United 2009 CL semifinal. What a great game that was.
And a fabulous kit.

O'Shea's goal in the 1st leg.

Loved that 2nd leg - one of the most enjoyable games I've seen...and those two Ronaldo goals were unreal - the free kick was spectacular, but the counter attack goal was something else - one of my all time favourite United goals.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Will post some more this evening, but love this one of Rafael - wish I had it higher-res

Mali_Zeus

Loved that 2nd leg - one of the most enjoyable games I've seen...and those two Ronaldo goals were unreal - the free kick was spectacular, but the counter attack goal was something else - one of my all time favourite United goals.
It was a spectacular game, beautiful day, beautiful football, everything was just right that evening. :)

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Will post some more this evening, but love this one of Rafael - wish I had it higher-res

Love that.

Hoping to see that passion on the weekend. Who am I kidding though, he'll be in the stands.

Moriarty

I ask cause you said you remember Easter 1967. :)

Keep them coming! :)
I was a 1st year at grammar school then. I used to stand in the Stretford End just behind the goal with the rest of the smaller kids. That was the first season I was allowed to go to the match with friends and not with my dad or older brother.

There's a few blokes on here who were going to Old Trafford before Munich but they don't post much any more. Wish they would.

Mali_Zeus

I was a 1st year at grammar school then. I used to stand in the Stretford End just behind the goal with the rest of the smaller kids. That was the first season I was allowed to go to the match with friends and not with my dad or older brother.

There's a few blokes on here who were going to Old Trafford before Munich but they don't post much any more. Wish they would.
It must be strange to remember the old OT and to compare it to how it looks now?
Or the club itself.

LR7

I'll be labelled as a moaning old git and a dinosaur. I'm not going to be the first to put my head over the parapet on this one.
That isn't how most of us see it. You're only a couple of years older than my Dad and he's been going to OT since he was 13/14. I'm always picking his brain about the teams he remembers and what old Trafford was like etc. Lots on here might not have been born into United supporting families or have anyone to ask with such brilliant memories/stories. I love it. Every time we get the programme on a matchday there are always some blast from the past games in them and I always check to see if they were from my Dad's era and he will tell me what he remembers of them. He was at pretty much every home and away game throughout the 70s and 80s and has some fantastic memories much like yourself.

lonelyred

FA Cup final 1977

Note in the corner: "Tommy Doc's United had plenty to prove against a Liverpool side on course for the Treble; roared on by the Red legions, they won 2-1."

Last edited:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

FA Cup final 1977

Note in the corner: "Tommy Doc's United had plenty to prove against a Liverpool side on course for the Treble; roared on by the Red legions, they won 2-1."
That's a great picture.

Stam with his death-grip making Viera piss himself. Good times.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This has to be my fave without a doubt.
The sheer audacity for 1 man to think that he can win so many trophies, with the same club...mind boggling.
And then to go on to achieve this level of success that most managers (including Mourinho) can only dream of.
The ease with which he finished in the top 3 - we had Moyes who made himself look old when finishing 7th. Top 3 would've been like winning the quadruple for Moyes.
We now have LVG - an absolutely World class manager - who is struggling to stay in the top 4.
If I hadnt seen those title/trophy wins myself, I would not have believed that it was possible and had anybody told me that it did happen, I'd assume they were a big fat lier.

Some people may disagree, but using statistics alone, IMO, he is the best football club manager of all time.

Moriarty

That isn't how most of us see it. You're only a couple of years older than my Dad and he's been going to OT since he was 13/14. I'm always picking his brain about the teams he remembers and what old Trafford was like etc. Lots on here might not have been born into United supporting families or have anyone to ask with such brilliant memories/stories. I love it. Every time we get the programme on a matchday there are always some blast from the past games in them and I always check to see if they were from my Dad's era and he will tell me what he remembers of them. He was at pretty much every home and away game throughout the 70s and 80s and has some fantastic memories much like yourself.
That's how it was with my dad, and graddad too. They used to talk about the 1948 FA Cup winning side, the advent of Babes, European Cup ties played at Maine Road and the team that died at Munich. Back then, it wasn't uncommon for supporters to go to watch United one week and City the next, as travel could be difficult and expensive for the average fan.

SalfordRed1960

FA Cup final 1977

When you see this it brings back very strong memories, but also makes you realize as fan, how times have changed. As @Moriarty says, you may call us grumpy old gits, but when you could stand, carry your banners, wear your scarves and act as you wanted without Stewards trying to kick you out the atmosphere at finals was immense. Each final in the 70s had a special atmosphere, and they are incomparable to today's finals.

Being lucky as a season ticket holder to go to all the finals, it was sad to see the United and opposing fans atmosphere at Cardiff, Wembley, Moscow, Rome, even Barcelona to an extent. We have by some distance the best away support, always have had, but what we see at PL away games never gets carried forward to finals. Even in '99 the semi against Arsenal, perfect atmosphere, you could only hear United, but then in the final against Newcastle pretty poor by both sides.

Raw

Did 'bottom of the table', Fulham go onto equalise?
Was this game the one where we broke the record for crosses and one of Fulham's players stated that it was like playing against a Conference side?
Yes it was.