Awesome United pics

Moriarty

A rare picture from the 1976 FA Cup 6th round replay at Wolves. 0-2 down and on our way out but Briab Greenhoff pulled one back, Pancho equalized, and Sammy Mac got the winner. The official attendance that night was 44,000 but I bet the unofficial tally was closer to 50,00, maybe more. You couldn't move it was so tight. To the right of Sammy Mac is Wolves skipper Mike Bailey. He was shell-shocked.

Moriarty

The Doc. I'm not 100% certain but this looks like Hillsborough during the 1976 semi with Derby. I'm pretty sure he was wearing that black mac that day, but I may be wrong. It was a long time ago.

Heardy

A rare picture from the 1976 FA Cup 6th round replay at Wolves. 0-2 down and on our way out but Briab Greenhoff pulled one back, Pancho equalized, and Sammy Mac got the winner. The official attendance that night was 44,000 but I bet the unofficial tally was closer to 50,00, maybe more. You couldn't move it was so tight. To the right of Sammy Mac is Wolves skipper Mike Bailey. He was shell-shocked.
So awesome you posted this pic last August (top of last page).

Shame this thread used to see so much more traffic.

Woodywizz

I’ve got a few pics which I took in 2011 of the open top parade around town - how do I post these in here as the only option seems to be to have to upload the photos to a 3rd party site first and then to paste the url in here. Can I not just add the pic direct on here?

Moriarty

1983 League Cup final. Norman Whiteside scores our goal. Robbo and Remi celebrate. We ended up losing 1-2 but that goal was a bit special.

Amsterdam Devil

Brilliant photo...passing of the torch? (Finally)
Best picture i’ve seen in years! So great to see the old man smiling with our new great manager. Fergie was such a presence in my live growing up and getting older in the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s. Love the man!

Moriarty

Mobbing the ref went on in the old days, and even Bobby Charlton wasn't immune. I think this was taken during the 2-2 draw at Elland Road in October 1970. Players in view are Brian Kidd, Bobby, Nobby, Tony Dunne, Ian Ure, and Paul Edwards. Terry Cooper is the only Leeds player in view. I have no idea who the United player directly in front of the ref is, but I think the ref is Jack Taylor, but I'm not certain.

Moriarty

December 1970. City hammered us 1-4 at home. Glyn Pardoe's right leg was broken in a tackle with George Best. Some City fans say it was deliberate and during the highlight show, Jimmy Hill did his utmost to get Malcolm Allison to condemn Best, but he actually defended him. I despised Hill from that day forth.

Moriarty

He signed for us in 1981. Twelve years later, Robbo finally got his hands on a league winner's medal. The bloke on the right played a role in that too...

Moriarty

A rare photo from 1968. Waterford away in the European Cup. The game was played at Lansdowne Road, Dublin. United won 3-2 with a Denis Law hat-trick. He scored 4 in the second leg 7-1 victory. That night, the Stretford End cheered for Waterford throughout the game.

Moriarty

November 8th, 1986. Alex Ferguson arrives at the Manor Ground for his first game in charge of United. It was an inauspicious start, with Oxford winning 2-0. He had tow weeks to wait until his first league win, 1-0 at home to QPR. Little did we know at that time what was to come.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Mobbing the ref went on in the old days, and even Bobby Charlton wasn't immune. I think this was taken during the 2-2 draw at Elland Road in October 1970. Players in view are Brian Kidd, Bobby, Nobby, Tony Dunne, Ian Ure, and Paul Edwards. Terry Cooper is the only Leeds player in view. I have no idea who the United player directly in front of the ref is, but I think the ref is Jack Taylor, but I'm not certain.
Ian Ure looking as gormless as ever :lol:

Revaulx

December 1970. City hammered us 1-4 at home. Glyn Pardoe's right leg was broken in a tackle with George Best. Some City fans say it was deliberate and during the highlight show, Jimmy Hill did his utmost to get Malcolm Allison to condemn Best, but he actually defended him. I despised Hill from that day forth.
Gosh that was either the second or third game I ever went to.

We got hammered at home by Arsenal on their way to the Double in the next game, following which Wilf was relieved of his duties. The support was riven down the middle into equally passionate factions: the “he’s crap; sack him” lot and the “not his fault; he hasn’t been backed” ones.

Moriarty

Gosh that was either the second or third game I ever went to.

We got hammered at home by Arsenal on their way to the Double in the next game, following which Wilf was relieved of his duties. The support was riven down the middle into equally passionate factions: the “he’s crap; sack him” lot and the “not his fault; he hasn’t been backed” ones.
There's nothing new under the Sun is there? I remember the Arsenal game and the one after it, a 4-4 draw at Derby, which was Wilf's last game in charge.

Revaulx

There's nothing new under the Sun is there?
:lol:

Given that in the three and a half years between summer 1968 (Morgan) and spring 1972 (Buchan) we signed no first team players AT ALL*, I think the latter faction had a point.

* not counting the aforementioned gormless Ure, who was bought over Wilf’s head.

Moriarty

:lol:

Given that in the three and a half years between summer 1968 (Morgan) and spring 1972 (Buchan) we signed no first team players AT ALL*, I think the latter faction had a point.

* not counting the aforementioned gormless Ure, who was bought over Wilf’s head.
I don't know why Sir Matt was so averse to buying players. It was as if the European Cup win was the pinnacle, but he could not let go, neither could he replace the players who had won that trophy. We stayed in his shadow for decades.

Revaulx

I don't know why Sir Matt was so averse to buying players. It was as if the European Cup win was the pinnacle, but he could not let go, neither could he replace the players who had won that trophy. We stayed in his shadow for decades.
I’m more inclined to blame the Board who let it happen than him.

Though when push came to shove and The Doc demanded a clear out, they were happy to back him.

decorativeed

I’ve got a few pics which I took in 2011 of the open top parade around town - how do I post these in here as the only option seems to be to have to upload the photos to a 3rd party site first and then to paste the url in here. Can I not just add the pic direct on here?
Sorry for the delay, but you're right. You need to upload to imgur or similar then post an image link here. Almost all forums work like this.

Would be keen to see your photos as I was there that day too. Got absolutely piss wet through!

Moriarty

Ah. Presumably that’s why he insisted on playing Paddy Roche - to make a point?

Stepney was still decent then.
I remember that game at Highbury. Alan Ball scored in the first minute. Brian Greenhoff stuck one in his own net, and Paddy punched an Arsenal corner into his own goal. Pancho got one back but any title challenge was over at that point. Stepney was reinstated and Roche was dropped. I think he was still around when Dave Sexton managed us though.

Revaulx

I remember that game at Highbury. Alan Ball scored in the first minute. Brian Greenhoff stuck one in his own net, and Paddy punched an Arsenal corner into his own goal. Pancho got one back but any title challenge was over at that point. Stepney was reinstated and Roche was dropped. I think he was still around when Dave Sexton managed us though.
Yeah I think you’re right. He played a few games as a backup and was absolutely fine. I think the pressure of him being first choice was what he couldn’t handle.

Moriarty

Denis Law and Bobby Collins of Leeds before the first FA Cup semi-final game in 1965. It went to two replays before Leeds won 1-0 at the City Ground.

Moriarty

Ah. Presumably that’s why he insisted on playing Paddy Roche - to make a point?

Stepney was still decent then.
I was going with a girl back then whose dad was a long-time City fan. He used to say that if Stepney had a decent defence in front of him, he'd be England's number one.

Moriarty

Alex Stepney, George Best, and Denis Law. I can't tell who the further player is buy maybe Tony Dunne. I suspect this is a pre-match kick about as that isn't a pristine match ball and there are no opposition players in view. United kicking-in at the Scoreboard End was unusual though.