Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

I see the experts on developing younger players are out in force. Shame no one actually knows Ole's plans for him.

A-man

If Villa wants to keep him as a starting CB next season, we should give him another season there. Similarly to Dean Henderson he has impressed in the Championship, but neither of them would be nailed on first-choices for us next season. They are established first choices in teams that will play in PL next season, which will be a perfect arena for them to develop. We are likely to sign a new CB this summer, and Lindelöf has been solid for some time now. With Smalling, Jones and possibly Bailly and Rojo as backup next season, I cannot see Tuanzebe getting more than a couple of League Cup games for us, which would stall his development.
I agree. He needs to play matches, it is critical for his development, especially since he has had very few minutes on the pitch over the last years. There are already too many CBs and rumours of buying one more of top class. He looks comfortable on the ball, but there is no pressure from the other team in the Championship, while the PL really has developed in that area. I even think this is one big reason for PL teams success in the CL: they put strong pressure the whole match on the opposite CBs and their own CBs are used to play under pressure.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

If we're buying a CB this summer then might as well leave him at Villa for another year and if we're not then I'd like him to be our 3rd choice, Specially since Jones/Rojo cannot be trusted and Bailly will most likely be injured again.
Did you mean to say Bailly cannot be trusted and Jones/Rojo will most likely be injured again?

Flying_Heckfish

Tempting to keep him as one of four CBs if we can shift a few, otherwise a prem loan would be great for him.

If he stayed he would be guaranteed games at some point given our injuries, and he could start league Cup and EL games.

scoi

As long as Villa don't buy a centre back then he should 100% stay there. Loads of experience in a team that will likely be doing a massive amount of defending is worth much more than warming the bench in Cup games.

Mark Pawelek

Going out on loan with promoted Villa will be great for Tsunzebe. Sitting on the bench at United will not develop him. He's not good enough yet to play CB for a team seeking a top 4 place. I think he's a better footballer than all of them except maybe Lindelof, but they (Smalling, Rojo, Bailly, Jones) are still better defenders. Tsunzebe is potentially better than them. Let's give it another year, OK. We need to buy a CB this summer. I hope we can exchange Lukaku for Milan Skriniar.

C'est Moi Cantona

As long as Villa don't buy a centre back then he should 100% stay there. Loads of experience in a team that will likely be doing a massive amount of defending is worth much more than warming the bench in Cup games.
He's 21, 22 this year, he's either good enough or he's not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry to break it to you, but ball playing CBs are here to stay. Having big lumps playing next to a technical CB is as old hat as having the big man little man strike partnership. Ole evidently wants our team to play out from the back, so having both CBs comfortable on the ball is imperative. I’d sacrifice occasionally conceding from high balls for having a team that can play a high line, compress the pitch for the opposition and the ability to win the ball back quickly, as well as being capable of playing out from the back. Maguires lack of pace would be far more of a issue than Tuanzebe being average in the air.
But Maguire is a far better ball player than Tuanzebe. So make your mind up what the most important characteristic is for a centre back.

I think anyone who believes Tuanzebe is getting many starts next year is going to be massively disappointed. For us anyway.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
But Maguire is a far better ball player than Tuanzebe. So make your mind up what the most important characteristic is for a centre back.

I think anyone who believes Tuanzebe is getting many starts next year is going to be massively disappointed. For us anyway.
Eh? Most important characteristic? That appears nowhere in the post you responded to.

Maguire is a carthorse. Clearly we are setting up to play a high line with high intensity. We'd get slaughtered playing that style with Maguire in there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So, although the raw material is there to eclipse any defender at the club, he is not there yet. Smalling and Lindelöf are currently better than him, and overall, I'd even argue Jones is more consistent - that's saying something.
There's nothing to argue, Jones has been far more consistent over the last two and a half years. Bailly was good for the first two or three months after he first joined us, but since then he's been far more inconsistent and shaky than Jones or even Rojo. Jones generally gets hard-done by on this forum these days (can't believe I'm saying that since I was always one saying he wasn't good enough) as he tends to have three or four good games for every bad one. Whereas Bailly has been getting worse as time has gone on and last season I'm pretty sure he had more bad matches than he did good.

Thiagoal

Not sure how anyone that has watched Tuanzebe play this season and also watched the abysmal performances of all our centre backs (bar Lindelof) can want him on loan again next season rather than battling it out for starter at United?

If he's not good enough to be in serious contention with our duds... sell him

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Shift Bailly, Jones and Rojo and promote Axel to the first team. I'd rather that than keep them around while we send him out on loan again.

Ander herrera the warrior

Not sure how anyone that has watched Tuanzebe play this season and also watched the abysmal performances of all our centre backs (bar Lindelof) can want him on loan again next season rather than battling it out for starter at United?

If he's not good enough to be in serious contention with our duds... sell him
Simple, everyone expect utd to sign centrebacks who would automatically get into the side. Rather than keeping axel on the bench, he would gain a lot of experience in Villa this season since they are back in the premier league. If he is really improves, we could take him back the following season.

humdinger

We already have too many CBs and it doesn’t seem like any are close to leaving. We should only bring him back if Ole plans to play him regularly. No point having him sitting in our stands when he could be playing every week at Villa.

Ideally we’d get rid of Rojo, Jones and Bailly, bring in a top quality CB to partner Lindelof and let Tuanzebe battle with Smalling to be 3rd choice. That won’t happen though, even if we do bring a new CB in I think we might sell one at most.

Kaglish10

My Muppet mind wants both de Ligt and Ferro at the heart of our defence if wishes were horses. Sorry Tuazenbe.

BlueHaze

My opinion is that we should not take him back unless he is going to start every game which I don't think he will. Let him stay at Villa for another year. He's already had a fantastic year over there and now being in the PL it's going to be even better for his development.

If we take him back and put him on the bench it will be one of the most stupid decisions ever in the history of this club. This lad needs to play whenever fit and again if Ole is fine with that then by all means take him back. If not then he should 100% stay at Villa for another year.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
My opinion is that we should not take him back unless he is going to start every game which I don't think he will. Let him stay at Villa for another year. He's already had a fantastic year over there and now being in the PL it's going to be even better for his development.

If we take him back and put him on the bench it will be one of the most stupid decisions ever in the history of this club. This lad needs to play whenever fit and again if Ole is fine with that then by all means take him back. If not then he should 100% stay at Villa for another year.
Initially I thought he could slot straight into United's back four next season, but realistically, he should probably have a season's long loan back at Villa (assuming they want him that is), to get that experience against premiership teams. I have no doubt that the lad will succeed at the highest level, and will join a much better Man Utd squad next summer. It will be interesting to see if Ole takes him on the pre season tour, if he does then I would think he will be given the opportunity to stake a claim in the first team, as Bluehaze has said, just to leave him on the bench would suit no one at all

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is what would happen under previous managers:
- we would bring him back and he would start two or three games
- after two or three games we would have one bad result and he would be nowhere to be seen for next two months while we return to the likes of Jones and Rojo like they are some new players we expect to show something we haven't seen in past 16 seasons from them
- he would end up injured or out of form in between and that would probably mean the end of his United career which would mean he is off permanently to Villa or something like that considering out of form player with poor season behind him can't get better transfer than that, while we keep persisting with the likes of Jones and Rojo

But I hope Ole will be smarter than our previous managers. It doesn't neccesarily mean he is good enough for us, but I hope he will at least get more chances to show his worth than the shite that stayed here for years and showed nothing.

sherrinford

Don’t think Ax would work well with Lindelof. Neither are proactive enough. Ax is in the Rio mould of relying on positioning and reading of the game.
I would like to see Lindelof out the starting lineup - ‘average’ is as good as it gets with him in every facet of the game. Hopefully Tuanzebe is better and, if he is, hopefully he actually gets the chance to show it.

If he’s not going to get a fair opportunity to establish himself then he’s better off going back to Villa. Bringing him in as a backup option is a waste unless we are effectively giving up on the idea of him playing consistently at United.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Makes perfect sense to give him another year at Villa.

Sell Rojo and Bailly this summer and bring in a CB and next season we can hopefully sell Jones and bring in Tuanzabe to compete properly

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Let him stay at Villa. Maguire and Bailey would be a good combo to go with next year.

Smalling and Lindeloff as back ups. Sell Jones and Rojo.

In Rainbows

Would like him in our squad but could admittedly be a fantastic loan for him.
Same here. Would love to have him as a 3rd choice CB, but I do recognize that a loan deal is the best option for his development assuming Villa don't get a new CB.

El Zoido

He should come back to us. If he’s good enough, he’s old enough. Hate this concept of perpetually sending players out on loan.

He needs to comeback we need as much help as we can get. He will get loads of game time.

iHicksy

He's never going to make it here. He's technically rather poor and looks clumsy and uncoordinated, his only really asset is his pace. Feels like i'm watching Danny Welbeck play in defence whenever I see him. He'll end up at somewhere like Newcastle before being sold into the championship.

Infestissumam

Tuanzebes progress is yet another reason why you simply don't give Phil Jones a new 4+1 contract. So so stupid.

With our crowded CB room, might as well loan him to Villa for one more season. Regular game time in the PL is key.

diarm

Tuanzebes progress is yet another reason why you simply don't give Phil Jones a new 4+1 contract. So so stupid.

With our crowded CB room, might as well loan him to Villa for one more season. Regular game time in the PL is key.
Maybe we could just loan Jones to Villa instead and then forget to pick him up?

Kag

No footballer has ever improved by not playing football. It’s amazing that this still needs to be repeated on here with regard to our academy lads.

If he isn’t going to play regular football then we send him for another year at Villa. Regular football under John Terry at a proper Premier League club? Yes, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.