Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's never going to make it here. He's technically rather poor and looks clumsy and uncoordinated, his only really asset is his pace. Feels like i'm watching Danny Welbeck play in defence whenever I see him. He'll end up at somewhere like Newcastle before being sold into the championship.
What? :lol:

passing-wind

Not sure how anyone that has watched Tuanzebe play this season and also watched the abysmal performances of all our centre backs (bar Lindelof) can want him on loan again next season rather than battling it out for starter at United?

This is the key point and another issue I raised in the Longstaff thread. While these players aren't exactly "polished" and proven at a competitive level, you have to assess our current assets and to be totally honest they would improve us (Axel / Longstaff) on the basis of what we currently have. The only glaring weaknesses I see from small observation of Tuanzebe is he lack aggression and should be more forth willing to disregard the opponent and takes too long to the release a pass. But he is more competent in possession compared to Smalling, they are night and day apart in this department.

I honestly believe that Phil Jones would struggle in the championship, his entire career has been gifted by Sir Alex acquisition. Beyond having a few starts Jones has never had a consistent season and has also been hampered by injury he's stolen a living at this club and it's embarrassing.

If we buy a top quality center half give Axel an extra season at Villa let him develop properly (he's only 21 or so). If we get an average centre half, bring him back and sell Jones / Rojo.

passing-wind

He's never going to make it here. He's technically rather poor and looks clumsy and uncoordinated, his only really asset is his pace. Feels like i'm watching Danny Welbeck play in defence whenever I see him. He'll end up at somewhere like Newcastle before being sold into the championship.
I find this to be almost the complete opposite of what he actually excels at, if this is your verdict for Axel when he's clearly competent in possession, how in the world would you describe Smalling / Jones.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great news for Tuanzebe. A year of full premier league football with less pressure is going to do wonders for him. We will truly know whether he can cut it at this level also.

I'm not sure he's ready for a starting position at United yet, but he's very close. We'd be foolish not to give him another year to improve at a club he's settled at.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He has only played around 45 first team games in his career.

This was his first full season.

He should stay at Villa for another season IMO unless we are going to give him around 30 starts.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't think you quite know what you're watching :lol:

Not sure how anyone can watch him and come up with that analysis.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Have you clicked on the right thread?

izec

I would loan him out for another year to the PL, as we will have Smalling, Jones, Lindelöf and probably one of Rojo/Bailly here, With a new CB, thats five. I dont see the point of keeping him here on the bench.

Ekeke

Tuanzebes progress is yet another reason why you simply don't give Phil Jones a new 4+1 contract. So so stupid.

With our crowded CB room, might as well loan him to Villa for one more season. Regular game time in the PL is key.
Completely different roles though. Jones is there to be an experienced player who has shown that in most normal games he can do a job for the team, albeit with the occasional mistakes and letting himself down in some big matches. A 6.5/10 option

Tuanzabe is a player who isnt very experienced and has a lot to prove. Players in that spot at United currently are Lindelof and Bailly, not Jones or Rojo. So he if he wants to steal a spot at United its at the expense of the other younger and less proven players.

tomaldinho1

Any team with a striker who can head the ball would have a field day against us.
Who is going to head the ball out of that lot?
I love how over the top our reactions are here, he's not bad in the air but they played against a fair few longer balls and Bennett is an absolute bull. Unless your expectations are that Tuanzebe should win 100% of headers I think he did fine, he also wasn't 100% fit. I'd also argue, given the playing style of many Championship clubs, his aerial ability will have dramatically improved this season although I haven't watched Villa regularly so can't say for sure.

Our issues defensively re aerial weakness stem more from DDG's GK style than having individual CBs who are 'weak' aerially. We need to stop getting suckered into these buzzword rabbit holes likes 'aerially dominant CB' as if it'll fix all our defensive issues overnight. We already have one of the best aerial CBs in the league in Smalling but the issues remain the same whether he's in or out of the side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I love how over the top our reactions are here, he's not bad in the air but they played against a fair few longer balls and Bennett is an absolute bull. Unless your expectations are that Tuanzebe should win 100% of headers I think he did fine, he also wasn't 100% fit. I'd also argue, given the playing style of many Championship clubs, his aerial ability will have dramatically improved this season although I haven't watched Villa regularly so can't say for sure.

Our issues defensively re aerial weakness stem more from DDG's GK style than having individual CBs who are 'weak' aerially. We need to stop getting suckered into these buzzword rabbit holes likes 'aerially dominant CB' as if it'll fix all our defensive issues overnight. We already have one of the best aerial CBs in the league in Smalling but the issues remain the same whether he's in or out of the side.
That is true about Smalling for sure. His issues are elsewhere. But I'd still be worried to bring in a defender whose issue is his heading. I know the general view on Lindelöf has swept from total crap, to suddenly being thought of as our best defender, but I'm still not convinced.

Not that I matter in fairness. I'm just a guy on a forum

tomaldinho1

That is true about Smalling for sure. His issues are elsewhere. But I'd still be worried to bring in a defender whose issue is his heading. I know the general view on Lindelöf has swept from total crap, to suddenly being thought of as our best defender, but I'm still not convinced.

Not that I matter in fairness. I'm just a guy on a forum
Aren't we all. individually nothing but together, we're so much more.

I agree re Smalling - weakness outweigh strengths for me. I personally just think the reality is if someone like a Maguire or VVD are a 9/10 header of the ball, Lindelof or Tuanzebe are probably 7's. There's nowhere near as much in it people make out but once the caf snowball starts rolling, it simply cannot be stopped.

marktan

Like Dean Henderson should remain at his club and see how he does. Have to admit quite excited to watch them both next season, will be an excuse to catch Sheffield and Villa games.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Have to agree with that; seems like his growth spurt has impacted on his coordination - he used to look elegant in the youth ranks, but now seems awkward and reluctant to pass the ball forward. Jonny Evans was significantly better at the same age, while even Smalling looked more solid and functional. If he stays at Villa he’ll be riding bench after a few games after getting found out in the Premier League.

Best option for United now would be to sell with a buy back.

BlueHaze

You are going to have to eat your own words in a couple years. Axel has everything in him to be able to succeed here it's only a matter of how hard he will work. Remember he only turns 22 in November and he still has lots of time to improve in all areas. Unless terribly mismanaged this guy should become an important player for us in time.

Web of Bissaka

Just realize Villa is also promoted and they're quite fond of Axel.

Should we let them loan him again or should he stay?

Thing is if he stay.. it's hard to trust the manager giving him good chances. Love to be proven wrong, but it won't surprise me at all to see our fabulous 4 CBs whose availability (let alone form) is always uncertain + Lindelof, with all staying and playing all the games. And I doubt Ole is going to give him games at FBs. Thus maybe another stint at Villa playing many games and raising his reputations would convince the manager at United enough to seriously consider using him Season 2020/21, will be a far better option. Stay for next season if Ole is seriously giving Tuanzebe fair chances, don't if not, who knows what our manager is really thinking, his words in public interviews doesn't mean he'll do it. I don't see the point if he stay just to warm the bench (not even as subs options, just to join the travelling team), just because manager is afraid to even try him replacing our other senior defenders who have f-all more top level experiences.

Don't know if this has been posted but just saw something on his wiki that I thought was worthy a mention. "In July 2018, he broke the Guinness World Record for fastest time to clear a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos."

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Don't know if this has been posted but just saw something on his wiki that I thought was worthy a mention. "In July 2018, he broke the Guinness World Record for fastest time to clear a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos."
That's got to have added an additional £23mill to his value. Official hungry hungry hippo ambassador.

That's got to have added an additional £23mill to his value. Official hungry hungry hippo ambassador.
Yeah. All this talk of us missing out on players because we can't offer Champions League. We have fecking Tuanzebe. Who wouldn't want to join us?

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I think we should give this guy a propper chance next season. Seems like we are not getting De Ligt or Koulibaly and there has been no other credible links to any other CBs. The difference between Smalldini/Jones and Maguire is not big enough to spunk the kind of money Leicester are demanding for him.

We know that Jones and Smalling are not good enough to be regular starters for a top 4 team in the Premier League. So why not just give Axel the chance to prove himself. I actually think that Axel and Victor will be a good pair. Axel is agile enough to start with Lindelöf.

If Axel is good enough we should play him as much as possible.

arthurka

I think we should give this guy a propper chance next season. Seems like we are not getting De Ligt or Koulibaly and there has been no other credible links to any other CBs. The difference between Smalldini/Jones and Maguire is not big enough to spunk the kind of money Leicester are demanding for him.

We know that Jones and Smalling are not good enough to be regular starters for a top 4 team in the Premier League. So why not just give Axel the chance to prove himself. I actually think that Axel and Victor will be a good pair. Axel is agile enough to start with Lindelöf.

If Axel is good enough we should play him as much as possible.
We could still get Alderweireld .. But I agree with you, but Lindelöf and Alex would be poor in the air.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So was he definitely consistently excellent for Villa last season? Stood out as their best centre back? Because that'd surely be the minimum requirement for him to come in and play alongside Lindelof next season.

I think we will buy a CB this summer. I’m sure we must be trying/ hoping to get rid of at least one of Rojo, Bailly or Jones - but chances are will have: New CB, Lindelof, Smalling and 2 of Bailly, Jones or Rojo.

If Villa can give him games in the PL, it’s too good of an opportunity for us to bring him back, he’s not going to be a starter for us this season - give him game time on the PL and see how he develops.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So was he definitely consistently excellent for Villa last season? Stood out as their best centre back? Because that'd surely be the minimum requirement for him to come in and play alongside Lindelof next season.
People expecting him to walk into the team and fix our issues are in for a shock.

He's a great young talent but i'd be very hesitant to make him first choice over Smalling, especially in big games.

GDaly95

People expecting him to walk into the team and fix our issues are in for a shock.

He's a great young talent but i'd be very hesitant to make him first choice over Smalling, especially in big games.
In which case, we have to sign an established centre back this summer. The fact that it feels like it might not happen is frightening.

For me, sell Rojo and Bailly / Jones and bring Tuanzebe and a new signing into the fold.

There's enough football to be played with this Europa nonsense, he won't be frozen out.

C'est Moi Cantona

If I was Ole I'd run away very fast if he's expected to go through a season with Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, and Axel, it would be horrible.

Seven Seas Sardines

Like Dean Henderson should remain at his club and see how he does. Have to admit quite excited to watch them both next season, will be an excuse to catch Sheffield and Villa games.
Would be pretty nice if we also loaned TFM to Palace, Gomes to Norwich, Chong to Brighton and Garner to Burnley. :drool:

GDaly95

If I was Ole I'd run away very fast if he's expected to go through a season with Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, and Axel, it would be horrible.
Whatever happens, even if Ole loses his 8 opening games and gets sacked, 100% of the blame and anger needs to be directed at the hierarchy if we go into next season with that defence.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would be pretty nice if we also loaned TFM to Palace, Gomes to Norwich, Chong to Brighton and Garner to Burnley. :drool:
I know you're joking but what a disaster that would be :lol: plus, you missed Greenwood to Newcastle :drool:

Bwuk

Really hope the rumours aren’t true and he’s not going to be sold.

Ridiculous if we sell him whilst rewarding Smalling and Jones with new contracts.

Red_Beans

Ridiculous if we sell him whilst rewarding Smalling and Jones with new contracts.
Axel will not get sold this window. He will have pre-season with us so that the coaches can asses his level and after that he will either go back on loan to Villa or stay here to be our 5th or 6th choice CB

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Doubt it.

Ed/Ole will know that defenders are coming in at a premium nowadays. Why flog off Axel now when with a couple of years of development, dare I say, John Terry, he could save us a bundle in a few years time.

Bestietom

Can't rely on Tuanzebe to step in and solve all our problemstuff at the back.He is still raw but a good prospect.

Allas8

Already been on loan at Villa for 18 months, since 24 months is max, he can not be loaned to Villa next season. News story by MEN broke yesterday that Tuanzebe wanted to stay and fight for a place in the team, so he wont be sold. Would be madness to sell him after a successful loan spell, we are not Chelsea, we actually want to play our biggest talents.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Already been on loan at Villa for 18 months, since 24 months is max, he can not be loaned to Villa next season. News story by MEN broke yesterday that Tuanzebe wanted to stay and fight for a place in the team, so he wont be sold. Would be madness to sell him after a successful loan spell, we are not Chelsea, we actually want to play our biggest talents.
That's news to me. Who sets the rules about 24 month maximums?

Red00012

He can go until January ?

Allas8

He can go until January ?
From my understanding, yes, don't think it would be fair to anyone to do a 6 month loan though. Im trying to look up this rules, but I can not find them, maybe I dreamt it.

I remember reading about a 2 year loan limit in regards to Chelsea and their loan army. After a player had spent 2 consecutive years on loan at the same club they either had to be sold or loaned to another club. Atleast it would make sense why there is no noise in regards on Tuanzebe being loaned out to Villa next season, despite them wanting to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.