Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I hope Jose is keeping tabs on him, a PL loan next season would be great for his progression, hopefully Villa make it up

Bwuk

If we'd given him a chance and a run in the side, I'm not convinced any of our current drop would look any better than him.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Don’t think he’d be any worse than Rojo or Jones at this point. Already better than them just by the fact he’s available and not made of glass.

If he makes mistakes, its part of his development and he’s young. Rojo and Jones are error-prone while they’re at the age where they should be at their peak.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If he's playing regularly at CB, then keep him there for the rest of the season, especially under John Terry's lead. He's better there than in the position of someone like Pereira who rarely even makes the match day squad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Under John Terry he could be our answer to Joe Gomez

NotQuiteManc

He could be a backup to Lindelof and/or play at RB back-to-back with Dalot if Tony V is on the way out. I think he is very good but still lacking that heading skills/timing just like Lindelof earlier in his United career. They would struggle aerially against most team in the EPL, and learning their trade at RB would be a good way to hone that skill without too much risk. Like how Smalling, Jones, Brown and even Boateng.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He could be a backup to Lindelof and/or play at RB back-to-back with Dalot if Tony V is on the way out. I think he is very good but still lacking that heading skills/timing just like Lindelof earlier in his United career. They would struggle aerially against most team in the EPL, and learning their trade at RB would be a good way to hone that skill without too much risk. Like how Smalling, Jones, Brown and even Boateng.
Tuanzebe isn't very good at rightback if he's expected to help out with the attack. Villa fans hated him there.

If we're up against a top attacker on that side and we want Tuanzebe to focus purely on his defence (like he did against Sanchez a couple of years ago), he'd probably be fine. But against the majority of teams we need our fullbacks stretching the play and that's where he'd be significantly worse than even the likes of Young and Valencia.

Johan07

I agree, CB is one of the most difficult positions to play in as well regardless of system. Its much easier for a young player to come in at RW or LW for example. Or fullback.
Think he might, might cope in a more offensive system as CB already, holding a higher line. At least IMO he would do better in that kind of system compared to how we play now.
So I am also afraid of what would happen if he would be stuck in our own penalty area defending for most of the games. And then RB is the option thats left pretty much.
Important thing is that he needs to play if he is to be included in the squad next year. At least a fair amount of minutes. If not, then he should be farmed out on loan again. What we are doing to Pereira and McTominay this year is just bad squad and youth management. They should be on loan if they are not close to playing.
I am quite impressed by what I have seen from him so far, even when he was at United. He needs to be given a fair chance during pre-season next summer and if he is deemed not to quite be there yet: loaned out to a mid-table PL-team or even a top10-team in La Liga as we did with Pereira.

NotQuiteManc

Tuanzebe isn't very good at rightback if he's expected to help out with the attack. Villa fans hated him there.

If we're up against a top attacker on that side and we want Tuanzebe to focus purely on his defence (like he did against Sanchez a couple of years ago), he'd probably be fine. But against the majority of teams we need our fullbacks stretching the play and that's where he'd be significantly worse than even the likes of Young and Valencia.
Yeah, I agree. He would be good in a defensive setup, depending on the opponents.

Irwin99

How is his passing game? Considering that Jose recognises the need to build up from the back it'd be good to have a defender who is comfortable on the ball.

Red_toad

How is his passing game? Considering that Jose recognises the need to build up from the back it'd be good to have a defender who is comfortable on the ball.
Very good, looks comfortable as a holding midfielder as well.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I agree. It seems the idea of including a promising CB as a stopgap fullback to get him first team experience is being increasingly challenged these days. I'd prefer Tuanzebe to continue his successful loan at a good club learning from Terry than come back here to play some kind of auxiliary role at the back for us.

In Rainbows

I agree. It seems the idea of including a promising CB as a stopgap fullback to get him first team experience is being increasingly challenged these days. I'd prefer Tuanzebe to continue his successful loan at a good club learning from Terry than come back here to play some kind of auxiliary role at the back for us.
Many fans underrate the attacking responsibility a fullback has. If a player is lacking in that area, fans of the side are going to rightly be upset or frustrated at the player. So although it makes sense that a CB be a temporary RB or LB because they feel they're not ready defensively, they ignore that they're not ready for the attacking responsibilities of a FB.

Based Adnan

Every Villa fan I've spoken to rates him as one of their best players and by far their best defender. Should be kept around and given games next season.

Alabaster Codify7

Mixed signals here. My mate is a die-hard Villain and he reckons Axel is summed up as:

"When he's good he's very good, but when he's bad he is absolutely ROTTEN".

He doesn't see a PL CB in him, certainly not a MUFC defender, he reckons. I don't know what to think - my mate is honest in his appraisals of players and has a soft spot for us, he isn't just talking crap.

Ekeke

A premier league loan is the next step for him. Many players do well in the championship but its harder to make that step up to premier league level.

Seven Seas Sardines

A premier league loan is the next step for him. Many players do well in the championship but its harder to make that step up to premier league level.
Ideally he gets Aston Villa promoted and stays on for another year. Sucks about his metatarsal injury, hopefully he won't be out for too long.

Crimson King

Mixed signals here. My mate is a die-hard Villain and he reckons Axel is summed up as:

"When he's good he's very good, but when he's bad he is absolutely ROTTEN".

He doesn't see a PL CB in him, certainly not a MUFC defender, he reckons. I don't know what to think - my mate is honest in his appraisals of players and has a soft spot for us, he isn't just talking crap.
I work with a Villa fan and he quite likes Axel, and thought he'd been playing well for them before the injury. He'd like them to sign him permanently if the opportunity arises as he reckons he'll be worth a lot more one day, especially as he can play for England.

Your friend's description sounds like that of any talented but young and inexperienced CB. However, I agree with his point about not seeing him as a United defender, he hasn't really shown enough to suggest that's nailed on. I think he could definitely play in the PL though.

Mickson

No need for another loan, he is ready for Manchester United. He's definitely not worse than what we already have at United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
“If Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] wants to ring me, I’ll give him an excellent report on Axel,” Smith said.

“He came here as a right-back. But I always felt he had the capabilities to be a really good centre-half. He is proving that. He has really grown here. He is showing an awful lot of composure. His awareness has also got better, perhaps with experience of playing.

“He is quick, no question about that. But his understanding of the game has improved, so he doesn’t need to rely on his pace as much. He can bring the ball out. He can pass. He can see the feet of our forwards, and hit them accurately.

“His injury has come at a bad time for us. We have certainly missed his composure.

“I think the reason why United wanted him to come here is because he would be playing in front of 30,000-plus crowds pretty much every week at Villa Park. Manchester United play in front of double that amount of people, but Villa Park is still a daunting prospect for players — you need to have the right character to be able to do it like Axel.

“Not everyone can.”
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...news/man-united-aston-villa-tuanzebe-15738418

An Irish Red

No need for another loan, he is ready for Manchester United. He's definitely not worse than what we already have at United.
It's a big step up from the championship though. Plenty before him have stuggled with the transition. I'd like to see him get a premier league loan next season.

Preferably to a team like Bournemouth who try to play football (you learn more about a defender when he's in a team that is set up to do more than defend at all costs).

Mickson

It's a big step up from the championship though. Plenty before him have stuggled with the transition. I'd like to see him get a premier league loan next season.

Preferably to a team like Bournemouth who try to play football (you learn more about a defender when he's in a team that is set up to do more than defend at all costs).
He looked ready under Mourinho, remember he started at right back against Sanchez. I know it's a big step up, but I have confidence that he's prepared for the challenge.

Bola

Given that we have 2 x Sicknotes, a big Question mark over Bailley and recognising that Smalling has limitations, is not dally and get him back to the club at the earliest opportunity

I wish we has been more ruthless with Deadwood FC this window, but I'd be dispointted If he is not back and around the matchday squad next season

izec

Given that we have 2 x Sicknotes, a big Question mark over Bailley and recognising that Smalling has limitations, is not dally and get him back to the club at the earliest opportunity

I wish we has been more ruthless with Deadwood FC this window, but I'd be dispointted If he is not back and around the matchday squad next season
The biggest issue is he is not a good partner for Lindelöf. While he can be in the squad, how many games will he get realistically if we buy another top class CB starer. Smalling and Bailly will also be around, provided Jones and Rojo wont. He will be 5th choice or 4th choice CB at best, with only championship as his reference. He needs to play and isnt badly needed even if you disagree, but i would loan him out to a PL club and have him there for another season, with an option to call him back in January if we would need him for some reason

Mickson

The biggest issue is he is not a good partner for Lindelöf. While he can be in the squad, how many games will he get realistically if we buy another top class CB starer. Smalling and Bailly will also be around, provided Jones and Rojo wont. He will be 5th choice or 4th choice CB at best, with only championship as his reference. He needs to play and isnt badly needed even if you disagree, but i would loan him out to a PL club and have him there for another season, with an option to call him back in January if we would need him for some reason
People are going to think I'm crazy, but Tuanzebe is pretty much a Lindelof although faster. I wasn't a fan of the Lindelof-buy because I feel he hasn't more potential than Axel. I agree with you that they would probably not work together. I want Axel to be first choice with a new, experienced CB who is good in the air and a leader.

Bola

I see where you are coming from.

There was a window of opportunity at the start of Jan with injuries and Bailley underperforming. Shame Tunzebe got injured.

Summer will be the time to assess. I'd be very dispointted if Jones and Rojo are still here, while we would have had plenty of time to assess Bailley (last chance saloon). Tunzebe could come back to the club as 4th or 5th choice, then it would be up to him to force his way into contention. If there is too.muvh competition at thisvearky stage of his career, then i wouldn't be adverse to a Prem loan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
People are going to think I'm crazy, but Tuanzebe is pretty much a Lindelof although faster. I wasn't a fan of the Lindelof-buy because I feel he hasn't more potential than Axel. I agree with you that they would probably not work together. I want Axel to be first choice with a new, experienced CB who is good in the air and a leader.
He's a Lindelof with much greater physical attributes.

A-man

I’m a bit amazed how some people can make so clear conclusions of a player who had 300 PL minutes. There is a big risk if he is brought back before he’s ready, it will damage his development. He is already a player who has spent too much time on the bench.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only reason he went on loan was due to Mourinho IMO. Rashford would've been loaned out too under Mourinho. Thankfully for him LVG was in charge at the time who gave him a chance after a injury crisis..

Axel made his debut away to Arsenal and excelled against Alexis Sanchez, one of the best players in the league. In subsequent opportunities he also played very well and was more than good enough to fight for a spot in the team. If he was given 12 to 18 months like Mourinho afforded to Lindelof then I'm pretty confident Tuanzebe would've done better than the Swede. Tuanzebe has more in his locker than the Swede will ever have. Hiring Mourinho wasted the last two years of Tuanzebe's career IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.