Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamsk7

He’s good. He’s potentially really good. We should play him with Maguire now. Lindelof is slower and isn’t as good in the air and the things he’s good at (passing, calmness in possession), Axel is equally adept at.

jackal&hyde

Did not have much work to do against Astana or yesterday so it's a bit silly to rave about his defensive qualities just yet. On the other hand, he is one of the most composed CDs on the ball i've ever seen. There are midfielders in the PL that would be jealous of him for that.

Teffe

I love his potential and he can be a top player for United for years if he keeps developing. But... Throwing him in the team at this point could be devestating. A couple of errors in such important time and things could go south for his whole career. If the attack was flourishing and the team had atleast a little confidence, I'd give it a go. Not now!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Love Axel's song! Last night was a pretty dark cloud but this lad was a silver lining.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is so quick, doubt he will lose a footrace with anyone. That one moment when he was defending through ball, if it was any other CB then attacker would have reached the ball first. Tuanzebe was so quick that he won the ball so easily.

Hopefully he will get PL chances soon.

soralapio

Thought he was excellent yesterday, and loved his comments about the captaincy. Hoping he gets many more games for United and continues to develop.

And yes, the song is brilliant.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think he deserves a PL start sooner rather than later.

It has only been Astana and Rochdale, but he is more physically imposing than Lindelof, he is extremely fast and looks very calm.

izec

He is so quick, doubt he will lose a footrace with anyone. That one moment when he was defending through ball, if it was any other CB then attacker would have reached the ball first. Tuanzebe was so quick that he won the ball so easily.

Hopefully he will get PL chances soon.
that is why he complements Maguire better. Lindelöf is average pace wise and showed that his heading ability is horrible. Tuanzebe cant do worse if we give him some time to get used to the league and team

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
that is why he complements Maguire better. Lindelöf is average pace wise and showed that his heading ability is horrible. Tuanzebe cant do worse if we give him some time to get used to the league and team
Yeah, he should play few games alongside Maguire. I think he will end up as first choice player.

Raw

Really want to see him with Maguire, he's got a higher ceiling than Lindelof I reckon.

Also it'd allow us to have a fully English back 4 (or back 5 if we bring in Henderson). Which doesn't mean anything but I find it interesting.

settembrini

Very good again. Really want to see what he looks like alongside Maguire instead of the Jones/Rojo clown show.

Grande

Really want to see him with Maguire, he's got a higher ceiling than Lindelof I reckon.

Also it'd allow us to have a fully English back 4 (or back 5 if we bring in Henderson). Which doesn't mean anything but I find it interesting.
It’s an interesting one going forward. I don’t think we should hurry it, though, and remember that Maguire is just learning to know the team. I think it’s important for Maguire to get settled together with an intelligent and somewhat experienced partner who has played with De Gea, Shaw and Pogba for a while, and had a full preseason of being leading CB in how we are going to play. Quite a few of Maguire’s decisions so far shows that he isn’t bedded in enough yet to be the leader of a completely new and young back four, especially when the front six is so vulnerable/inexperienced. I think it makes sense to build from Lindelöf/Maguire, and phase Tuanzebe slowly in as the first replacement in cups and injuries.

It’s easier for a young player to be phazed into a back four that is secure in their roles rather than finding their roles. I think this is easier accomplished with Lindelöf/Maguire as a building platform, and that Tuanzebe will benefit from it as well.

But then again, what do I know?

Yeah, he should play few games alongside Maguire. I think he will end up as first choice player.
Would like to see a Maguire/ Axel partnership in a couple of non- league matches to see how it works.

Axel has done well in the context of being a young player, but he has no PL experience, and would be beside 2 new players to the club, one of which is also a young player. So we need to be careful, and ease him in.

I don’t particularly rate Lindelof, and don’t think he’s a long term solution, but he’s doing ok, and we need to try and get a solid foundation at the back - so I don’t think Axel should be there at anywhere near first choice at the moment, but it only takes an injury and he will get his chance!

Obviously I’d rather he gets minutes ahead of Jones, Rojo or Bailly.

Sylar

Want to see him and Maguire partnership. Axel' spell at Villa was a good thing and it certainly looks like hes ready. Hes gonna eventually make a mistake but it seems like he would cope better than Lindelof long term. Shame we didnt have Maguire pre-season otherwise it would have been nice to see him with Axel together.

eltigreFalcao

It’s an interesting one going forward. I don’t think we should hurry it, though, and remember that Maguire is just learning to know the team. I think it’s important for Maguire to get settled together with an intelligent and somewhat experienced partner who has played with De Gea, Shaw and Pogba for a while, and had a full preseason of being leading CB in how we are going to play. Quite a few of Maguire’s decisions so far shows that he isn’t bedded in enough yet to be the leader of a completely new and young back four, especially when the front six is so vulnerable/inexperienced. I think it makes sense to build from Lindelöf/Maguire, and phase Tuanzebe slowly in as the first replacement in cups and injuries.

It’s easier for a young player to be phazed into a back four that is secure in their roles rather than finding their roles. I think this is easier accomplished with Lindelöf/Maguire as a building platform, and that Tuanzebe will benefit from it as well.

But then again, what do I know?
Well, this I find a very interesting point. Agree with you Sir, although I believe Axel could shine alongside Maguire any given day.

Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Passing in tight spaces not really his strong point, especially at left back. I'd just play him in CB.

Moiraine

His mistake Cost us 2 points

Sad because apart from 2 miss passes, he was brilliant.

Zoo

Why would you play a right footed central defender at LB?

acnumber9

Started the game well but he’d started to struggle long before the mistake. Positioning was shit but given he was playing at left back it’s hardly a surprise.

Bwuk

If he’s to play full back - why on Earth LB when Young was playing?

He’s never a left back either. Did ok bar the mistake, but didn’t look comfortable at all. Rojo should of played.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

And yet defenders can't have these sorts of mistakes. Was stupid and naive: but some fans want yoof, so have to accept the collateral damage that comes with that.

Kag

He’s a player, this lad.

Being played out of position because nobody at the club had the common sense to bring in a left back.

Art

Art the artist

I don't even think the goal was his fault. He was playing those infield square passes the whole game. Lindelof was flat footed when he played that pass onto victors path.

Axel is quality. That much is obvious.

el3mel

Had great game up till that awful mistake then lost his mind completely. Shame, a very good game totally ruined.

A-man

Anybody could make a mistake, that happens. Had many good moments, especially in first half, but also poor positioning and it was too easy for Arsenal to hit crosses from his flank.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Did okay and I thought too much is being made of the pass. Lindelof should have been awake to the possibility that Axel might look for an outball, he was surrounded by Arsenal players and had no real options other than to go inside. Lindelof was caught napping, again. Not going to go in too hard on Axel, although sometimes he reacts too slowly himself to developing situations.

kundalini

First half impressive. Second half nightmare. Gave their wide player far too much space at times.

Having rewatched their goal several times, it is clear to me that Lindelof indicating he was prepared to receive the ball, then moving back towards our goal, resulted in Axel passing the ball to where Lindelof originally stood. This type of situation happens quite often with United. It was still a poor pass but made worse by Victor retreating. Tuanzebe should have been aware of Lindelof's movement as it did start prior to the pass being made.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

He made the mistake for the goal but can you blame him. Players talk about having pictures in their heads when they play & knowing where people are going to be by instinct etc.

Tell you what Ole does, puts a young CB that has sometimes played RB at LB.

An experienced LB plays the pass toward the other side of the CB because of the pressure comes he can go back to the GK.

Aside that, was genuinely impressed. Looks a player, was surprisingly composed but was easily pressured for obvious positional reasons. Defensively astute as ever.

The narrative OgS is doing great things for these youngsters surely has to be questioned. He continually brings on Greenwood when the team loses a lead, plays Chong in games he has no business being in [talented player but not there yet] & puts Axel in a foreign position in a huge game where a long term LB was played at RB instead. Argument for another thread though.

Well done Axel.

Moiraine

I don't even think the goal was his fault. He was playing those infield square passes the whole game. Lindelof was flat footed when he played that pass onto victors path.

Axel is quality. That much is obvious.
I don’t know how you think so.

His pass was wayward that led to the goal

simmee

If you get your chance against Arsenal the least you can expect is it to keep your concentration. Straight after 1-1 he was saved by Lindelof otherwise he would've cost us the game.

Inexperienced and even more so since he had to play at left back, so a bit of an excuse at least. I'm sure his quality will shine through in the end as he builds experience in the cups.

LJJT

He played really well in the first half. Mistake killed him and our result. This is what happens when you play youngsters though, we can’t have it all. Very promising still despite the mistake

Ekeke

Loose pass, but there was a mistake from Lindelof and Maguire after that. Overall he was our best defender today

Kag

And yet defenders can't have these sorts of mistakes. Was stupid and naive: but some fans want yoof, so have to accept the collateral damage that comes with that.
They can when the team is capable of scoring more than a goal a game.

We generally defend fine. Have done for years (outside of Mourinho’s throwing of the towel). Our back line could include a prime Ferdinand and Vidic and we’d still continue to drop points; all because the team doesn’t score goals and hasn’t been able to do so since Ferguson retired.

Our defenders take the flak, but there’s an expectation that they don’t make any mistakes, even though the team has conceded goals in line with many of our higher-achieving rivals over a long period of time.

Tuanzebe will just be the next sorry sap to get it in the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.