Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dve

Bailly has had a certain amount of bad lack but then again he causes injuries with carelessly flinging his legs into areas they can get twisted and hurt.

It's fair to say they're both injury prone. Extremely athletic but muscles that twang like guitar strings.
Injured twice = injury prone. I don´t think that´s fair to say, at all. Bailly yes, Tuanzebe, it´s yet to see.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He's been injured. I don't understand what the fans dont understand. You cannot keep a player against his wishes. Smalling did not want to fight for his place, he wanted guaranteed football. That on it's own is weak mentality.

Tuanzebe stayed and wanted to fight for his place and if he done well, he would probably be first choice. However; he has been injured since the Liverpool home game.
Exactly the opposite. A willingness to go to a new country and new league instead of collecting the money whilst sitting on the bench shows courage and decisiveness.

A-man

Injured twice = injury prone. I don´t think that´s fair to say, at all. Bailly yes, Tuanzebe, it´s yet to see.
Tuanzebe played about half the matches last season because of injury problems. It looks like he’ll play even less this season where he was injured twice in short time. He has played 7 matches this season (cups and league) compared to for example Lindelof who played 32 cups and league games and Maguire 39.

Alabaster Codify7

Exactly the opposite. A willingness to go to a new country and new league instead of collecting the money whilst sitting on the bench shows courage and decisiveness.

Couldn't agree more. Jones is the weak-minded one, signing a new contract to sit on the bench/in the doctor's office because he knows he will have to go to a smaller club, while also acknowledging and joking about the fact that no fecker will turn up to his testimonial because none of the fans can be arsed with him. THAT is a passenger, a weak-minded player. Smalling isn't great but he's better than all of our central defenders apart from Maguire hence a big club was remotely interested in taking him.

A-man

Smalling must also have felt/realized that he didn’t have a fair chance, as it was clear that Ole didn’t think Smalling had the qualities he was looking for.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don´t understand these romantic ideas about Smalling. He´s a good defender - especially in the air - but we brought in Maguire because Smalling was useless with the ball in his feet and made it very difficult for us to play out from the back. Have people already forgotten? Basically everyone in here wanted rid of him, and Ole made it clear he would not be first choice at the CM - hence he wanted to leave to make sure he would not be a bench warmer at the age of 29. Nothing to do with weak mentality, or whatsoever. He was just not good enough for United and Maguire has proven to be a major upgrade.
That really wasn't the case. There was a very vocal group who wanted him gone, but every time there was a proper discussion about the defence the majority of people considered our strongest defence to be Smalling +1. When we bought Maguire most thought that we would give Lindelof a chance next to him, but ultimately we'd probably end up with a Maguire-Smalling combination and Maguire would be seen as the Lindelof upgrade.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Axel said in the newest episode with the United Podcast that he is now fit and ready to help the team, and that his injury just took a while to heal but he's now waiting for his chance. So if that's true, should see him back getting game time soon which is great.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He is already 22. He has never established himself in any sort as a first team player thru injury or otherwise. Jose played Scott in central defense. LVG played McNair too.
The little times he played to me he didn't show enough to be e central defender in a top club.
He is behind Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly right now. With Jones around he is behind Jones too.
Centre Back's prime age starts at 26 or 27. 22 years old is early days. How is him being 22 years old is your reason why he's not good enough? This is why I said it's non-sense, you need to give much more detail or something makes more sense than just speaking lazy like "he's already 22, so he's not good enough".

WTF are you on about Jose played Scott & LVG played McNair? Got nothing to do with Tuanzebe's quality or potential. He's ahead of Jones in pecking order, the guy made the bench ahead of Jones & start over Jones whenever they both are available for match fit, do your research before make the statement.

SAFMUTD

Centre Back's prime age starts at 26 or 27. 22 years old is early days. How is him being 22 years old is your reason why he's not good enough? This is why I said it's non-sense, you need to give much more detail or something makes more sense than just speaking lazy like "he's already 22, so he's not good enough".

WTF are you on about Jose played Scott & LVG played McNair? Got nothing to do with Tuanzebe's quality or potential. He's ahead of Jones in pecking order, the guy made the bench ahead of Jones & start over Jones whenever they both are available for match fit, do your research before make the statement.
I agree at 22 we are not seeing his whole potential, but if he was going to make it big he should had proven something by now.
i still think he has a chance but his injury record isnt helping.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree at 22 we are not seeing his whole potential, but if he was going to make it big he should had proven something by now.
i still think he has a chance but his injury record isnt helping.
If he's not going to make it, it'll likely because of injury is slowing down or stopping his development. However, the potential is there, ability to play from the back, composed on the ball even under pressure, doesn't rush with his tackles & gifted with incredible pace.

SAFMUTD

If he's not going to make it, it'll likely because of injury is slowing down or stopping his development. However, the potential is there, ability to play from the back, composed on the ball even under pressure, doesn't rush with his tackles & gifted with incredible pace.
I agree he has looked sharp when given minutes but right now he’s 4th at best in the pecking order and there are rumors we are rumors we are looking for another central back, personally I think next season is his last chance, hopefully he’ll prove he deserves the chance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Guy seems to be as injury prone as Jones. Unfortunate. He'll have a couple more years to fix that issue, but the last thing we need is another injury prone CB.

IrishMcD

This lad needs another loan, the amount of time he has missed due to injury has to have set him back massively. There is no point keeping him around if he is only going to be third/fourth choice here on the back of spending so long out injured. He needs to be at a club where he is first choice and gets loads of game time. I am sure there will be plenty takers for him on loan.
I fear we have another injury prone centre back on our hands. Feel sorry for the lad but the amount of muscular injuries he picks up is very worrying.

Baxter

He might end up missing his chance at United. Was very close early on in the season and injuries have set him way back. With Mengi now around the first team too, he needs to stay fit.

Web of Bissaka

Phil is a lost cause, Axel at least is younger and hopefully will "fix" his injury issues.

How come he's injured often?
His playstyle isn't like Jones nor Bailly who are more risky and aggressive, easily injured that way.
Axel tend to play in a more composed and relax way, usually those players are injury free.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Painful to hear, regardless of how talented he may be he's on borrowed time in our first team picture if he can't stay fit.

bsCallout

I'm a fan of him; for his attributes. He needs to go now though. Him and Jones should definitely be out the door. Bailly probably should too.

We want CB's that are available, it is so important.

I'd like to think we could keep Smalling but he has the right mentality and wants to play regularly. It is definitely an area we need to focus on in the window, as a potential back up or even replacement for Lindelof.

The youngsters should already be higher in the pecking order than Bailly, Jones & Tuanzabe. Injuries ruin careers unfortuanately.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Be interested to know what type of injury it was. Lad does seem to have had some bad luck though, fingers crossed that he can through these. If Teden performs well during pre season, then we may see Axel go out on loan, possibly for the first half of the season to see if he can overcome this spate of injuries, he may be one of those players who has to play week in week out to keep his body in shape.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I'm a fan of him; for his attributes. He needs to go now though. Him and Jones should definitely be out the door. Bailly probably should too.

We want CB's that are available, it is so important.

I'd like to think we could keep Smalling but he has the right mentality and wants to play regularly. It is definitely an area we need to focus on in the window, as a potential back up or even replacement for Lindelof.

The youngsters should already be higher in the pecking order than Bailly, Jones & Tuanzabe. Injuries ruin careers unfortuanately.
I think Jones may be out the door, Tuanzebe possibly a loan next season, but Baillie is going nowhere at the moment. For me, he should be alongside Maguire, I feel far more confident in the defence when Baillie is playing, than I do with Lindelof.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not the case at Villa.
Under Bruce he didn't get much of a look in. But the following season he was in the team in his rightful place.
He got a couple of injuries at Villa, one was a fractured bone in his foot I believe, but when he was fit he was straight back in the team. My Villa mad mate rated Tuanzebe higher than Mings when he was there, and would have him back in a heartbeat.

bsCallout

I think Jones may be out the door, Tuanzebe possibly a loan next season, but Baillie is going nowhere at the moment. For me, he should be alongside Maguire, I feel far more confident in the defence when Baillie is playing, than I do with Lindelof.
I agree, except the reality is that Bailly won't be available to partner Maguire. He's up there with Jones for injuries isn't he?

Consistency is so important for GK & CB partnerships. Seems Bailly will never offer that.

Paul_Scholes18

There is something wrong with how we coach and manage our central defenders. We have had injury problems for years. Not only Jones, but everyone else too.
At least it doesn't effect Maguire so far and Lindelöf is doing well.

Mickson

I have officially given up on him now. Sad, one of my favorites and I had high hopes that he would cement his place in the starting eleven by now actually. Well well.

bsCallout

There is something wrong with how we coach and manage our central defenders. We have had injury problems for years. Not only Jones, but everyone else too.
At least it doesn't effect Maguire so far and Lindelöf is doing well.
You've just said it effects everyone else, then named two of our CB's that are completely fine. Smalling wasn't too bad either.

I believe are youngsters don't struggle with it either. Nor has our DM - Matic. Jones and Bailly are reckless, which is why they get injuries. Tuanzabe just seems unlucky, didn't he suffer injuries on loan too?

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I agree, except the reality is that Bailly won't be available to partner Maguire. He's up there with Jones for injuries isn't he?

Consistency is so important for GK & CB partnerships. Seems Bailly will never offer that.
I don't think Bailly has had as many injury lay offs as Jones has, I can remember the serious knee injury from last year, but I'm struggling to think of the times that Bailly has not been available for selection prior to that bad injury, although I have no doubt that he would have picked some knocks that would have kept him out of contention possibly three or four times since he arrived in 2016. I believe he is available for the Tottenham game, I'm not sure about Jones. Anyway, as this is a Tuanzebe thread, I think Axel is a very good player, but needs to be playing regularly, so I can see him going on loan next year if Mengi performs well in pre season, and ultimately would love to see him playing regularly for United. Think he would be outstanding in a back three.

Paul_Scholes18

You've just said it effects everyone else, then named two of our CB's that are completely fine. Smalling wasn't too bad either.

I believe are youngsters don't struggle with it either. Nor has our DM - Matic. Jones and Bailly are reckless, which is why they get injuries. Tuanzabe just seems unlucky, didn't he suffer injuries on loan too?
We have had injury crisis almost every season for as far as I can remember. Maybe not as bad under Ole, but we have had injuries this season too and last year they did go down around the Pool game.
Central defenders have always also been an area with many injuries for us.

Paul_Scholes18

Ever since Wes Brown.. Silvestre.. Heinze.. GNev..

Gets worse in the 2010s with Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, ...

Fit CBs: Evans, Blind, Lindelof and Maguire.

Also to be fair, Smalling always return back quickly from injuries.
Evans was out a lot too near the end.
I am sure there has been changes in coaching staff and medical team, but we must be doing something wrong here.
It just seems odd if we will just buy injury prone players all the time.

Web of Bissaka

Evans was out a lot too near the end.
I am sure there has been changes in coaching staff and medical team, but we must be doing something wrong here.
It just seems odd if we will just buy injury prone players all the time.
Did he?
I forgot how his last few seasons with us were, easily forgettable, thought he get dropped a lot and not out injured.

I think the problem is more to do with most of the players we chose to buy happened to be the type that play rashly. The injury prone players are the usual suspects.

Choose well and they'll be fine eg. Maguire, Blind and Lindelof.

If Maguire and Lindelof becoming injury prone then I would agree something's wrong with our coaching/fitness/medic/training set-up.

flappyjay

Phil is a lost cause, Axel at least is younger and hopefully will "fix" his injury issues.

How come he's injured often?
His playstyle isn't like Jones nor Bailly who are more risky and aggressive, easily injured that way.
Axel tend to play in a more composed and relax way, usually those players are injury free.
This. Hence why Smalling was able to eventually overcome his injury woes. Jones, Bailly and Rojo all share the same traits but sadly for them their bodies were not made for their kind of game.

Edit. Rafael was a pit bull like that too.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His injuries are starting to become a problem, aren't they?

It's madness that we have 8 first team centre backs under contract, yet only Maguire and Lindelof can be counted on to consistently be available. Obviously Smalling is unavailable due to being on loan not fitness issues.

As mentioned before, his playing style isn't uber agressive like Bailly, Jones or Rojo, so it's strange that he's out as much as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.