Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trophy Room

The kid is obviously not the finished article yet but the only way that he can reach the level we require him to be at is if he plays first team premier league football regularly.

jesperjaap

NO over rating him personally, he appears to have good ability and the potential to be a really good defender....so did Phil JOnes at the same time, in fact he was far ahead of where Tuanzabe is now.

I do hope he gets opportunities as lets face it, none of our current cemtre backs are actually any good, so dont see why people saying he is better than them is any big deal, even though we dont know until he plays.

Mings was actually excellent for Villa so no bad thing being behind him, the championship is a different game altogether anyway and Mings is a great championship style player.

Getting ahead of myself personally, if we sign Maguire I think Tuanzabe is the right partner for either as I dont think Lindelof and Maguire would work together

MoDeLemone

I like him. He's very composed on the ball but there are a couple of weaknesses in his game, like perhaps a lack of aerial prowess and he gave away a couple of needless fouls as well. To be fair to him, i expect he'll improve with experience so i'm not too concerned.

Ekeke

Would like to see more of him. Looks a decent young CB so far in pre-season comfortable enough defending with the ball on the floor and comfortable on the ball, a bit like Lindelof but more physical. Our defense looked vulnerable to crosses though so more games to see how much of a problem it is

NoPace

Ole having us press suits him since he's a good athlete and not great at defending deep against crosses. Looks comfortable mopping up the long balls hit into channels in an attempt to bypass the press (as do Jones and Bailly, maybe less so for Smalling now that he seems to maybe be losing a yard and Rojo), but might struggle against clever target man types. Not surprising at his age.

He turns 22 a few months into the season and was a key player on a team that got promoted. I think we're better off giving him our backing (especially since our backup CBs are more competent than our backup midfielders and wingers) and spending Maguire's 75M on a RW and a #10, and then it's either DM or CB depending on if we trust McTominay or Tuanzebe more to give us 30+ quality starts this year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
'Tuanzebe is the future of Man Utd'
Manchester United have five senior centre-halves with them on tour and they are trying to sign another - potentially England international Harry Maguire, but there are other options if Leicester's valuation remains too high for the Old Trafford hierarchy.

Saturday's match against Inter Milan was the first time in pre-season that Solskjaer let his players stay out on the pitch for more than 45 minutes.

This was the day, one United source said before the game, when Solskjaer's squad would begin to see if they were part of his long-term vision. So it was significant that Tuanzebe was picked alongside Victor Lindelof, ahead of four senior international central defenders.

Born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the 21-year-old's potential has been known for some time.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49058676

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
OGS said we didn’t play him Vs Leeds as we know he can play that level, we wanted to see him Vs a better opposition, and Inter was a good test he passed well. OGS knows that Smalling and Jones can play at that level, so I wouldn’t read too much into him playing before those.

He is a top talent, I hope we get to see him against Spurs and Kane on Thursday to really see what level he can play at.

If we don’t sign a CB he’ll be staying with us, otherwise he’ll go on loan, most likely back to Villa. I personally would keep him around even if we signed a CB, first out the door would be Rojo, followed closely by Jones.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
OGS said we didn’t play him Vs Leeds as we know he can play that level, we wanted to see him Vs a better opposition, and Inter was a good test he passed well. OGS knows that Smalling and Jones can play at that level, so I wouldn’t read too much into him playing before those.

He is a top talent, I hope we get to see him against Spurs and Kane on Thursday to really see what level he can play at.

If we don’t sign a CB he’ll be staying with us, otherwise he’ll go on loan, most likely back to Villa. I personally would keep him around even if we signed a CB, first out the door would be Rojo, followed closely by Jones.
Great post although I sincerely hope we do sign a CB and I hope if we do, rather than letting Axel go, we should possibly sell Darmian and Rojo.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Noone wants Darmian or Rojo. If they did they would already be gone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Prefer to keep him, then buying that overrated Maguire for 80-90m.

Web of Bissaka

His playstyle is similar to Lindelof, from all the games (of him in our shirt mind) I've seen so far. Keeping it cool, neat simple passing, simple defending.

Lindelof however is adding aggression and forward drive to his game now.

What Axel 's showing so far this pre-season is not his full capabilities. He's playing it safe atm. Some trailers here - He can bring/carry and drive the ball forward to join in attacks, while can also keep and shield the ball well with his back to players, and a more adventurous attacking play.

sillwuka

He's a good replacement for Bailly as a back up defender. The discussions of him starting the season as first choice are premature.

I like what I've seen so far at Villa and in pre season but it's surprised at me how raw he still looks. Late in to quite a few challenges, bit slow on the ball on occasions. Doesn't fill me with confidence just yet.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he is a bit similar to Rio in that he relies a lot on his timing and reading when he is defending, which makes him look a bit clumsy when his timing is off and he is not quite right, despite being athletic and quick. Makes him look unbelievably good when it works though, and they share the trait of being good on the ball too, imo. Hope we don't just write him off based on a few mistakes he'll make this season, he'll make a few.

NYAS

If we’re talking simply about attributes and forgetting experience for a second, then Maguire - Tuanzebe would be the most balanced partnership we could have at CB (assuming we sign the former).

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Coming from the shapes Smalling throws when passing a ball - Tuanzebe passing a ball is a breath of fresh air. Ffs how much is it to ask a central defender of ‘premier league’ quality to pass a ball looking like a footballer and not a basketball player?

I’m looking forward to him keeping Smalling out of this team

izec

If we’re talking simply about attributes and forgetting experience for a second, then Maguire - Tuanzebe would be the most balanced partnership we could have at CB (assuming we sign the former).
I agree. With Wan B and someone challenging Shaw at LB next year, we would have s great back line

SATA

If we are getting Maguire, Axel isn't going to get a lot of minutes here. I would imagine Bailly, Jones and Smalling will play the domestic cup games and the Europa. Axel should be going out on loan to a decent PL team who need defenders. Any of such teams out there other than Villa?

kundalini

The downside of splitting the mins between 6 CBs in pre-season is that you are left with limited evidence.

With Axel there are things I like and some concerns too, but I'm not quite sure what it all adds up to right now.

I feel he might suit the new system of pressing high up the pitch and playing out from the back but is his basic defending, his strength, his aerial ability, good enough currently ?

Last edited:

Mickson

Completely agree with that. That's the partnership I want to see.

Alemar

If we are getting Maguire, Axel isn't going to get a lot of minutes here.
Why? On merit, certainly he will be outside top 3 CB in the team (just yet), but may well be 4th. And being 4th CB at United may give you 15-20 games per year across all competitions, not that bad

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People forgetting that Lindelof is a far better CB than anyone we have now and is young himself?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Does he remind anyone else of Darius from Atlanta, or is that just me?

Alabaster Codify7

Him and Lindelöf will not work well in the league over the course of a season. There are too many similarities but mainly, neither is a monster. The best / most successful partnerships tend to have a 'beauty and the beast' type chemistry and we dont have a beast. Maguire would be a beast. Smalling is like a diet beast.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People forgetting that Lindelof is a far better CB than anyone we have now and is young himself?
A lot of people (including myself to some extent) are worried about the lack of pace a Maguire-Lindelof combo would have. In theory Tuanzebe could be the solution there as he shares a similar style to Lindelof while also being much faster, but ultimately he's going to have to outperform Lindelof to make it happen.

Of course that is depending on us actually signing Maguire, which I tend to think is less than 50% chance of happening unfortunately.

Thought he was fairly average today. Not bad, but not great either. Probably his weakest game of the pre-season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haven’t been massively impressed with him personally. Like, I haven’t been ‘unimpressed’ per se, he just hasn’t looked a top centre half prospect this pre season to me.

That said, I was very impressed during his first spell in the team under Mourinho. He looks tense and uncomposed to me though, and I’m sure once he settles down a bit, he’ll look better. Calling it as I see it for now though, he’s looked ordinary this pre season to me.

NYAS

I said “forgetting experience”. Lindelof despite being young is far more experienced than Axel.

Tuanzebe is faster hence my comment about him and Maguire being the most balanced.

bosnian_red

Him and Lindelöf will not work well in the league over the course of a season. There are too many similarities but mainly, neither is a monster. The best / most successful partnerships tend to have a 'beauty and the beast' type chemistry and we dont have a beast. Maguire would be a beast. Smalling is like a diet beast.
Agree, my point was that people putting Tuanzebe ahead of Lindelof based on performances in the championship is strange when Lindelof is our only centerback who has impressed in any capacity, offers similar qualities to Tuanzebe but basically what we want him to turn into.
A lot of people (including myself to some extent) are worried about the lack of pace a Maguire-Lindelof combo would have. In theory Tuanzebe could be the solution there as he shares a similar style to Lindelof while also being much faster, but ultimately he's going to have to outperform Lindelof to make it happen.

Of course that is depending on us actually signing Maguire, which I tend to think is less than 50% chance of happening unfortunately.
Don't really think Lindelof is overly slow, his pace hasnt really been a problem? I'd say hes pretty normal pace wise. A lot more agile than normal CBs. It's more just his strength that he needs to bulk up to step up, but that improved loads from his first season already.

But anyway, if we do sign Maguire, I'd say our CBs for the season should be:

• 1st choice: Maguire - Lindelof​
  • 2nd choice: Smalling - Tuanzebe

bosnian_red

I said “forgetting experience”. Lindelof despite being young is far more experienced than Axel.

Tuanzebe is faster hence my comment about him and Maguire being the most balanced.
So forgetting experience, ability, talent, etc...?

passing-wind

That's true in some instances, but I disagree you look at Alderweireld / Vertonghen neither of them are "beasts" but they shut down attacks very efficiently.

I think we need to stray away from partnerships in defence and just find a dominant centre back to command the entire defensive line. VVD is the best representation because irrespective if it's Gomes, Matip or Lovren they all look competent when paired alongside him.

Koulabily is probably the best in the market who will command the entire defensive line because like VVD there's no real weakness he can play at feet, can defend, read the game, positionally astute etc.

bosnian_red

Haven’t been massively impressed with him personally. Like, I haven’t been ‘unimpressed’ per se, he just hasn’t looked a top centre half prospect this pre season to me.

That said, I was very impressed during his first spell in the team under Mourinho. He looks tense and uncomposed to me though, and I’m sure once he settles down a bit, he’ll look better. Calling it as I see it for now though, he’s looked ordinary this pre season to me.
He has potential for sure, and especially the CB position takes a while, but we've seen loads of quality CB prospects over the years who have flopped for whatever reason. Jones was looking a future world beater, never turned into much. Smalling was being compared to Rio in 2011, and he's had a decent career here but was never really starting level (even though hes been a starter for years). Evans was quality on the ball and all around, and performed really well at times but never found consistency. He outperformed Maguire last season anyway for Leicester, but he still didn't make it here really. So is Tuanzebe a better prospect than Evans at that age? Smalling? Jones? I'm not sure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don't really think Lindelof is overly slow, his pace hasnt really been a problem? I'd say hes pretty normal pace wise. A lot more agile than normal CBs. It's more just his strength that he needs to bulk up to step up, but that improved loads from his first season already.
He's not particularly slow, but he's not fast either. Probably a shade below average for a premiership centreback. That by itself isn't a problem, but it could be if partnered with Maguire who actually is quite slow. Hopefully not, as no doubt they would start the season as the first choice combo if we do sign Maguire, and if it does work it would be our best combo for what we want to do when we have the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.