Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

But anyway, if we do sign Maguire, I'd say our CBs for the season should be:
  • 1st choice: Maguire - Lindelof​
  • 2nd choice: Smalling - Tuanzebe
Yes, with the manager rotating the pairs. Say, 2 games 1st pair, then 1 game 2nd pair, etc

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's not particularly slow, but he's not fast either. Probably a shade below average for a premiership centreback. That by itself isn't a problem, but it could be if partnered with Maguire who actually is quite slow. Hopefully not, as no doubt they would start the season as the first choice combo if we do sign Maguire, and if it does work it would be our best combo for what we want to do when we have the ball.
Think Shaw and Wan Bissaka being very quick would help and it'd be fine. Lindelof and Maguire are both intelligent CBs as well, so I wouldn't be overly worried about a lack of pace between Lindelof being normal pace, and Shaw and Wan bissaka being very fast along with all 4 excelling defensively.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Prefer to keep him, then buying that overrated Maguire for 80-90m.
That's not really the choice though, is it. It's more likely that it's having Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling and Tuanzebe to call upon. Offloading Bailly, Jones and Rojo if possible.

Grande

Given the general shape of our team in the second half, Tuanzebe and Lindelöf got a lot more to work with than their partners, bith in terms of incomings, and in terms of covering up space left by Dalot, Shaw, Fred and Matic. I thought they worked pretty well together, especially for a duo who haven’t played much together.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let’s not feck about with him. He needs to be a part of this new beginning. So much more a part of our future than Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

Would be quite something to loan/sell him and hold on to the dross.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed

I still think we're light in midfield and RW - £80m can get most right wingers in the world
This. Still can't get it out of my mind on how easy Rashford turned him around and scored that goal. And as we know, Rashford didn't do that very often last season.

80m my ass.

Bobski

This. Still can't get it out of my mind on how easy Rashford turned him around and scored that goal. And as we know, Rashford didn't do that very often last season.

80m my ass.
He does stuff like that all the time, but at Leicester the wider footballing press and fanbase don't notice/care or pay as much attention. Rashford was the only threat there, Maguire did nothing to effect that defensively. At Utd, as the most expensive defender in the game he will be have an entirely new level of scrutiny.

M16Red

His positioning is all over the place, I really don't see 50 mill player nevermind 80 mill

Just noticed this the Axel thread. Just play him and lindelof on the left side. Problem solved

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He does stuff like that all the time, but at Leicester the wider footballing press and fanbase don't notice/care or pay as much attention. Rashford was the only threat there, Maguire did nothing to effect that defensively. At Utd, as the most expensive defender in the game he will be have an entirely new level of scrutiny.
Yeh. Unless we're going to play deep, or start with 3 CBs (as England is).

But what do we know? Ramos makes a name without being that good defensively.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't mind a loan deal and Bruce will look after him.
Some saying we plan to sell him which I wont want.

Think he will be a good squad player at least.
Look after like he did at Villa? Refuse to play him at CB while playing over the hill CMs out of position over him. Keep him as far away from Bruce as possible.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't want Longstaff but we seem intent on him. £30m plus Axel on loan for the season would be acceptable. Maximum.

Axel is NOT getting starts ahead of the chuckle brothers and Lindelöf, even if Maguire doesnt sign. It'll toughen him up, being a stalwart for a relegation candidate.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

80m my ass.
It's not how easy but Rashford's movement, Pogba's pass & Ricardo Pereira's sloppy pass were too good to make it looks easy on you. De Ligt also mentioned that Rashford is one of the hardest player to mark on. Credits are given where it's due.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's not how easy but Rashford's movement, Pogba's pass & Ricardo Pereira's sloppy pass were too good to make it looks easy on you. De Ligt also mentioned that Rashford is one of the hardest player to mark on. Credits are given where it's due.
Rashford only scored 10 league goals last season. I'm not sure that's considered 'hardest player to mark on".

izec

I would be gutted if we sell/loan him. We lot Bailly for half a season. Jones and Rojo are unreliable. Keep him, give him chances to impress

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I would be gutted if we sell/loan him. We lot Bailly for half a season. Jones and Rojo are unreliable. Keep him, give him chances to impress
He should certainly stay, but if the club took the decision to sell him for a big fee, I wouldn’t riot over it either. I think the sheer will and understandable support for our youth has made people see more than he’s actually doing on the football pitch personally. I know he’s got talent and found youth football so easy, and he impressed me a lot in his few games under Jose. But this pre-season, he hasn’t looked some mega talent at all, not from what I caught at Villa. Him not being good enough for United doesn’t mean he isn’t good, and as of now, he looks like he could be PL good for sure but not necessarily United good. He’s what, 21 or 22 now? He just doesn’t look THAT amazing to me.

I respect that he’s young and has plenty of time and perhaps even potential to show himself as THAT good - but I haven’t seen it watching him lately. More a case of just ‘alright’ in my view. I’d take him over Bailly and Rojo though, who need to be shown the door as soon as possible. But if some clowns paid us £30m for Axel I wouldn’t find it ridiculous if we took it,in the mannernInwouldnif we accepted that for Greenwood.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I imagine Tuanzebe will be kept through the first 6 months of the season. If he gets a chance and takes it then fair fecks, but he will be given a game or two alongside Maguire If that transfer comes off. They can be a perfectly balanced pair. If for whatever reason he hasn't had 15-20 first team games by January, then we can look to loan him out. With Bailly out and Jones and Rojo being Jones and Rojo he is our 4th choice CB already even if Maguire comes in. With the EL (6 games), League Cup (1 at least) and EFL Trophy (at least 3) which he is still available for he should find at least 15 games barring injury.

NoPace

Look after like he did at Villa? Refuse to play him at CB while playing over the hill CMs out of position over him. Keep him as far away from Bruce as possible.
Also they have 3 genuinely decent CBs in Lejeune, Schar and Lascelles. I think a prem loan might be tough since most teams have a pairing they like already, the Prem in general has much better CBs than maybe any other position except #10s.

Seems like the move would be to sell Rojo and one of Smalling or Jones to save money on wages and have Maguire and Lindelof starting with Tuanzebe and one of Jones or Smalling backing them up with Bailly eventually coming back. 4 CBs is enough, if an academy player or fullback (Shaw or AWB can both defend well) have to play 2 games in an injury crisis that isn't the end of the world.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rashford only scored 10 league goals last season. I'm not sure that's considered 'hardest player to mark on".
Scoring more goals showing a sign of clinical not sign of player that difficult to mark on.

tomaldinho1

Precisely - put him in a team that sits deep and he'll soak up crosses, tackle and marshal attackers all day. As soon as you bring him into a team that needs to dominate the ball and have a higher line you take away all his strengths. Leicester won the league by doing the former and having two absolute units of CBs in Huth and Morgan who were dominant aerially and physically but they'd be ripped to shreds if they played in City's back line as an example - whilst we're not as extreme a possession team as them we simply don't play in a manner that would suit Maguire in my opinion.

I think that's likely because De Ligt physically is at a disadvantage to the smaller/faster players, he's a lot heavier than Rashford and Rashford is one of the most nimble and dynamic forwards around. Don't get me wrong De Ligt's no slouch, he's got good positioning and straight line speed for a big CB (there was that time he made Mbappe look a bit stupid for trying to knock it past him as if he were Carragher) but I imagine he'd much rather mark someone like Lewandowski or Ronaldo than players like Rashford or Salah for example.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
HAS to go out on loan now, needs the PL experience

Player Red

Would rather we offloaded 3 of the other CBs and give him the experience ourselves. Unfortunately that won't happen.

R'hllor

If they send him on loan, because other minutes will got to Jones, Rojo etc. They all can feck off.

gza the genius

Would rather we offloaded 3 of the other CBs and give him the experience ourselves. Unfortunately that won't happen.
Yep, he really shouldn't be the one to leave but unfortunately it'll be easier to send him out on loan than it will be to sell Rojo, Jones or Bailly.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yep, he really shouldn't be the one to leave but unfortunately it'll be easier to send him out on loan that it will be to sell Rojo, Jones or Bailly.
Heard Leicester need a CB :p

charlenefan

What?? Get rid of the s*ite and kep this guy. Bailly and Rojo should be let go followed by Jones
Being first choice at Villa for another season is better for him than being 3rd choice for United

R'hllor

Being first choice at Villa for another season is better for him than being 3rd choice for United
Not for me, there are plenty of minutes for him with us if you want to give him. Besides even if you are right, that depends of type of season Villa gonna have.

Can bet, if things go badly and tits up from the get go, they start leaking goals etc, regardless of whos fault it really is, there will be only one loser in that backline and it wont be the guy who they paid 25 plus mil. for. On top of it, in that scenario, they might be even in position to sack a manager, which could be another obstacle.

Dan_F

Keep him if he’s third choice. Anything else and get him a really good loan, where he’ll be playing every week. There’s plenty of game time to be had if he’s played ahead of Jones/Smalling.

charlenefan

Not for me, there are plenty of minutes for him with us if you want to give him. Besides even if you are right, that depends of type of season Villa gonna have.

Can bet, if things go badly and tits up from the get go, they start leaking goals etc, regardless of whos fault it really is, there will be only one loser in that backline and it wont be the guy who they paid 25 plus mil. for. On top of it, in that scenario, they might be even in position to sack a manager, which could be another obstacle.
With all due respect what's best for you is irrelevant. The Villa manager knows him so he wont drop Tuanzebe unless it's warranted

Status
Not open for further replies.