Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Solid yesterday. Has a laid back style about him that I like. Makes things look effortless. Really good on the ball yesterday and read the game well. Would like to see him with Maguire.

ricky-romeo

should start the season as our 3rd choice CB after Maguire and Lindelof. This or a one year loan to another PL club.

If Ole is thinking about putting Jones or Rojo infront of Axel in the pecking order then he should go out on loan. He'll probably return in a year time as a full England international.

hocane

should start the season as our 3rd choice CB after Maguire and Lindelof. This or a one year loan to another PL club.

If Ole is thinking about putting Jones or Rojo infront of Axel in the pecking order then he should go out on loan. He'll probably return in a year time as a full England international.
Maguire and Lindelof sounds like a terrible cb partnership. We desperately need Axel's pace to cover from Maguire/Lindelofs lack of pace.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Maguire and Lindelof sounds like a terrible cb partnership. We desperately need Axel's pace to cover from Maguire/Lindelofs lack of pace.
Lindelof is not slow. AWB is there to cover for Maguire.

flappyjay

Rojo, jones and Bailly when he gets fit should all be moved on now. Smalling as 3rd choice with Axel being 4th( them 2 as preferred cb partnership in Europa and cups). Maguire, Smalling, lindelof and Axel are not injury prone so there is no need for that extra emergency 5th cb

Ralph1386

Could he play as a DM next to McTominay and behind Pogba if needed? Can we also mold him into that?

Something like:

AWB——— Maguire ——- Lindelof——-Shaw
—————McTominay———Tuanzebe
Greenwood/James—Pogba——-Martial
—————-——Rashford————-

With Martial and Rashford interchanging

Bwuk

Could he play as a DM next to McTominay and behind Pogba if needed? Can we also mold him into that?

Something like:

AWB——— Maguire ——- Lindelof——-Shaw
McTominay———Tuanzebe
Greenwood/James—Pogba——-Martial
Rashford
Complete lack of creativity in the midfield pivot.

I think he’ll force himself as our third choice CB. He’s clearly more suited to the modern approach Ole is trying to take than Smalling or Jones.

jackal&hyde

Big sign of trust from us to keep him. IMO this means that he is ahead of some of our more established CDs as we think he will get enough play time.

PepsiCola

I'm hoping hes our third choice CB.

Both Lindelof and Maguire will be great partners for him.

RUCK4444

Saw Axel live for the first time at the Principality Stadium in pre-season, have to say he looked very good and composed. Looked like he could be a real classy CB in the future, I’m excited to see how he integrates this year.

VJ1762

So, I was browsing through a Aston villa forum and heard some people saying that a player named engels is better than Axel and axel wouldn't get to be first choice CB this season. Any villa fan care to weigh in on this?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So, I was browsing through a Aston villa forum and heard some people saying that a player named engels is better than Axel and axel wouldn't get to be first choice CB this season. Any villa fan care to weigh in on this?
Engels was on loan to Stade Reims from Olympiakos until they triggered the buy option for £3m in March 2019. He was told he wasn't part of Pedro Martins plans at Olympiakos hence being sent on loan to Reims who subsequently sold him to Villa for £7m a few months after buying him for £3m.

He lacks pace but probably suits Villa more than say Axel would in comparison. Engels is 6'4 and strong aerially which suits a team that will defend deep. He's also very composed in possession which will help Villa. He isn't very quick but that won't matter to Villa who I assume will defend deep in most games. At 24 years of age he could turn out to be a decent signing for Villa.

A-man

Great that he can play various positions. It will help with getting playing time and there are many positions that are more "forgiving" than playing CB where a mistake is costly and talked about for months.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Love how Ole praises our youngsters but also gives them motivation at the same time. His style of man management is perfect for the modern era.

A-man

(I moved my reply from Lindelofs thread to this because it made more sense to post it here)

He'll get cup games i'd expect and will start to get PL games based on how he does in those.

He hasn't got 5 top flight games to his name yet. It would be a massive risk, and really quite reckless, to drop him in a meaningful Premier League game right now.
I really enjoyed seeing Tuanzebe’s name on the bench for the openers, because it clearly is a statement from Solskjær about his trust in Tuanzebe at this point. There will undoubtedly many games in the year for a third choice CB, so if Tuanzebe can defend the gaffer’s trust in him with performances, he’s looking at 20-40 games, which probably be ideal for his learning curve anyway.

That is if Maguire and Lindelöf keeps developing a solid partnership to stay first choices. I think it’s looking good in that regard as well.
I agree with both you, however playing only cup matches is a risk imo. No matter if one is sceptical or not towards Lindelof/Maguire, most would agree that we see a different football at the back if we compare the first two matches with last season. It is not because the 4 at the back play this way, it is because they can play like this and Ole has told them to so. DDG is part of this. There are hardly any random long balls from him. Instead they play out even difficult situations.

Look att DDG stats. He has so far(only 2 matches!) 82% Passing accuracy and few long balls. Previous seasons he has been around 60% and many more long balls. When he plays for Spain however, who play with ball playing defenders who focus on possesion, his passing accuracy is higher and the long balls fewer. It is clear that Ole's tactics are to stay calm even under pressure and not hoof away the ball randomly.

I am worried that if we have an injury of any of these 4 at the back, do we have any replacement who can play like this? Especially concerned about the CBs who take the biggest part. My only hope goes to Tuanzebe, simply because I don't believe in the others and because Ole has put him on the bench , it must mean he believes Tuanzebe can play the football he wants. But then he shouldn't play only cup matches together with Smalling or Jones, he must also play together with Lindelof and Maguire.

My hope is that they ease him in with cup matches, then start to rotate him with both Lindelof and Maguire, at least every now and then.

(I moved my reply from Lindelofs thread to this because it made more sense to post it here)

I agree with both you, however playing only cup matches is a risk imo. No matter if one is sceptical or not towards Lindelof/Maguire, most would agree that we see a different football at the back if we compare the first two matches with last season. It is not because the 4 at the back play this way, it is because they can play like this and Ole has told them to so. DDG is part of this. There are hardly any random long balls from him. Instead they play out even difficult situations.

Look att DDG stats. He has so far(only 2 matches!) 82% Passing accuracy and few long balls. Previous seasons he has been around 60% and many more long balls. When he plays for Spain however, who play with ball playing defenders who focus on possesion, his passing accuracy is higher and the long balls fewer. It is clear that Ole's tactics are to stay calm even under pressure and not hoof away the ball randomly.

I am worried that if we have an injury of any of these 4 at the back, do we have any replacement who can play like this? Especially concerned about the CBs who take the biggest part. My only hope goes to Tuanzebe, simply because I don't believe in the others and because Ole has put him on the bench , it must mean he believes Tuanzebe can play the football he wants. But then he shouldn't play only cup matches together with Smalling or Jones, he must also play together with Lindelof and Maguire.

My hope is that they ease him in with cup matches, then start to rotate him with both Lindelof and Maguire, at least every now and then.
Cup matches though are the only real option for him. It's highly unlikely Lindelof and Maguire will both manage to stay fit for all 38 games, so that will be another route into the team. I think we *might* also see him against certain PL teams, particularly later in the season. Leicester would be a good one to deal with Vardy's pace and the lack of threat from any other source.

A-man

Cup matches though are the only real option for him. It's highly unlikely Lindelof and Maguire will both manage to stay fit for all 38 games, so that will be another route into the team. I think we *might* also see him against certain PL teams, particularly later in the season. Leicester would be a good one to deal with Vardy's pace and the lack of threat from any other source.
Well one way to help them stay fit, develop Maguire/Lindelofs partnership and develop Tuanzebe would be to start rotation relatively soon. Like:
Linde-Mag
Linde-Mag
Tuanz-Mag
Linde-Mag
Linde-Mag
Tuanz-Linde

But adjusted for what matches are coming. I think he should play matches with the regular players at the back to be trained in playing according to the tactics. In cups it will be maybe none of the regular defenders not midfielders. Then it is just match time, like a loan.

BlueHaze

He was so amazing for Villa and now he's just wasting valuable time off his career on the bench. We should have loaned him out again. Anything to progress his development not hinder it for fecks sake. I wish he was first choice to partner Maguire rather than the chicken Lindelöf..

Giggsyking

Playing 4-2-3-1 needs a very good number 10 and two central midfielders who has a good share of a CM quality (attacking wise and defensively). I find Pogba as a liability playing without a cover behind him because he loses the ball many times in the game, then why do we play a double pivot role? We should go back to 433 and 3 men midfield Pogba LM, (RM anyone who can pass a fecking ball) and this guy in DMF. Maybe and I say maybe it will put an end for fecking Lingard starting games.

Oldyella

Fantastic talent. Shocking he haven't been given a chance alongside Maguire.
We are 3 games in! And 2 of those games 'weren't bad'. If Lindelof keeps playing like yesterday his time will come.

Red71

I think Lindelof is playing Tuanzebe into the starting lineup....

Bobski

A massive chance for Axel is going to be coming along pretty soon.

Grande

to be fair in the space of 1 summer, he’s gone from about 7th choice to 3rd choice and that’s with a world record CB coming in.

He’s very close
His consecutive bench places in front of Jones, Smalling and Rojo has proven that he’ll get his chance this season. Smalling’s loan merely underlines that.

Status
Not open for further replies.