Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Staying fit often beats talent because playing matches is what develops players. I also have the fear he will be another injury prone United CB. Now he is in a critical age where he needs to play and can not afford too many injuries.
He still has 3 years on Lindelof, a lot of time to become better than him. If he stays injured through this season, he could probably just go on loan next season to play regularly in the PL.

A-man

He still has 3 years on Lindelof, a lot of time to become better than him. If he stays injured through this season, he could probably just go on loan next season to play regularly in the PL.
Yes but I still think he is at a critical age where he needs to play matches. It can be a mix of some PL and some cup matches, but he needs to play, not be injured or on the bench. Rashford is also 22 and has 100 PL matches.

The little I have seen from him, it looks like he lacks experience at this level. He has poor awareness and positioning. I am also not sure about his ball handling. All this will improve with matches.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He will play ahead of Lindelof in no time if he can stay away from injury. All the games he has played this season has been very good imo and he even got picked in such an important game against Liverpool (though he got injured in warm up). He almost identical to Lindelof but with more pace & strength.

KetilOwren88

I don’t think he will go on loan. Ole has big expextations of him, which really showed when he was in the original line up against Liverpool. Just a matter of time before he partners Maguire on a regular basis.

criticalanalysis

The little I have seen from him, it looks like he lacks experience at this level. He has poor awareness and positioning. I am also not sure about his ball handling. All this will improve with matches.
You are right about the lack of experience because it's a fact/given but it's amazing how you say the rest with so much confidence then defend and eulogise Lindelof at every opportunity.

If you was equally critical of Lindelof as you are able to with other players, you might begin to wonder why you post a lot of about the Swede in defence of him against the numerous criticisms and observations other members have made.

A-man

You are right about the lack of experience because it's a fact/given but it's amazing how you say the rest with so much confidence then defend and eulogise Lindelof at every opportunity.

If you was equally critical of Lindelof as you are able to with other players, you might begin to wonder why you post a lot of about the Swede in defence of him against the numerous criticisms and observations other members have made.
If you don’t agree why don’t you write about that instead of me, other posts or other players? And I don’t even see how this post is very critical. Tuanzebe seems to, at age 22, have some weaknesses and the only way I believe he will improve on these weaknesses is if he plays matches. It’s not rocket science, really. To develop, he needs to play, and as you say he lacks experience.

Based Adnan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...tain-harry-maguire-or-axel-tuanzebe-f2xlznstg

Nice article by Hirst about Axel and Maguire being seen as two potential captains within the club. Relevant bit to Axel:

Ashley Young is captain but is not seen as an out-and-out leader; David De Gea has the respect of the dressing room but prefers to keep a low profile; Paul Pogba is looked up to but has not shown leadership on the pitch.

At present, club insiders say only two players have been singled out as having leadership potential: Harry Maguire and Axel Tuanzebe.

When Solskjaer named Tuanzebe, the 22-year-old defender, as captain for United’s Carabao Cup third-round game against Rochdale in September, the assumption was that he had done so because the academy graduate was playing against his home-town club, but that was not the case. Solskjaer sees him as a potential first-team captain; that is why he wore the armband instead of Pogba.

Tuanzebe’s leadership skills were identified long ago. He captained youth teams during his time in the academy, which he joined aged eight, but United noticed an even bigger improvement in his attitude, confidence and desire to lead when he returned from his loan spell with Aston Villa last summer. Academy staff credit John Terry, Villa’s assistant head coach, for turning him into a leader. The former England and Chelsea captain took Tuanzebe under his wing during his season and a half at Villa.

Although he has started only five matches this season, Tuanzebe has spoken up several times in the dressing room. The former England Under-21 player is not afraid to call out his team-mates.

izec

I wish he would start every game and would grow into his role. I am sure he will make some mistakes, but i have no doubt he would improve immensely over the years as well. There was no doubt in my mind that he is a good talent since he played in the first team for the first time.

Meep

Ole must start to rotate. This is the third match within a week.
He will probably play the midweek matches coming up and getting his chances in premier league around christmas. Will be interesting to see him again!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He will play AZ, Colchester, one of Newcastle/Burnley and Wolves. 4 games in 20 days. And then the league cup semis so we will see him a lot over the next 5-6 weeks. Hopefully he takes his chance.

The Pool game was a setback for him getting injured in the warmup. Had to start from scratch after that.

A-man

He will probably play the midweek matches coming up and getting his chances in premier league around christmas. Will be interesting to see him again!

We have now entered the hectic part of the season. The cups should still be possible to win with youngsters and bench players. I understand if Ole wants to keep the 4 at the back from last matches with the good results, but with this schedule he must rotate. Question is how he will rotate the CBs. I am sure he will rest both Lindelof and Maguire against Colchester, and play them against Newcastle. But he needs his first XI against Arsenal, will he rest both against Burnley? If he does, I think he should establish a second pair with Tuanzebe + 1 (Rojo/Jones) already in the two cup matches. CBs need time together and it is not easy for Axel to play rotation like one game with Rojo, one as fullback, one with Harry and next with Lindelof. Better establish a second pair imo. They could also include Williams in this rotation.

12 Dec AZ – Axel+Jones

15 Dec Everton Lindelof+ Harry

18 Dec Colchester AT+Jones

26 Dec Newcastle Lindelof+ Harry

28 Dec Burnley Axel+Jones

1 Jan Arsenal Lindelof+ Harry

4 Jan Wolverhampton Lindelof+ Harry

6 Jan Semi finals EFL cup? Axel+Jones

Meep

I would like to see Tuanzebe with Rojo instead in the cups. Jones is the reserve for me. Wouldn't mind Tuanzebe against wolves if he has played well before we get there. It is nice to have options and this is a good time of the year to show he wants an a-team spot.

A-man

I would like to see Tuanzebe with Rojo instead in the cups. Jones is the reserve for me. Wouldn't mind Tuanzebe against wolves if he has played well before we get there. It is nice to have options and this is a good time of the year to show he wants an a-team spot.
Rojo might be better, my main point was to create and establish a cooperation in a second CB pair.

There are 7 players in United who have played every or almost every PL match, and 5 of them are important for our defence, so I think it is hard to get a foot in the starting XI now when they have established themselves.
DDG, Maguire, Rashford - all 16 matches
Lindelof, James - 15 matches
AWB, McT - 14 matches

Paul_Scholes18

Very poor in the first half. Him and Maguire didn't really impress even if they wasted most of the chances they had. His passing was not great.
He is not ahead of Jones and Rojo in my opinion at the moment even if he got great talent.

simmee

Very poor in the first half. Him and Maguire didn't really impress even if they wasted most of the chances they had. His passing was not great.
He is not ahead of Jones and Rojo in my opinion at the moment even if he got great talent.
Yeah, he couldn't handle their pressing in the first half.

Nothing about his first team performances so far have suggested he can handle this level. He was awful today.

SAFMUTD

Clean sheet and looked assured in defence.
Disagree, he looked bad in my opinion. The fact that AZ wasted a couple of chances makes it look as if he had a good game but in fact he could had cost us at least two goals against a better opossition.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Read the game well but let himself down with the ball at his feet.

First half in particular struggled but from what I saw he had no options in front of him and AZ pressed well.

Needs a run of games, but behind Lindelöf, Maguire and Rojo in my opinion.

Wishe

Same as with Garner. He is not ready to start in the PL, even though half of this forum want him to start every game ahead of Lindelof. He is a good defender but he really needs to work on he's composure on the ball and he's passing.

mu4c_20le

Disagree, he looked bad in my opinion. The fact that AZ wasted a couple of chances makes it look as if he had a good game but in fact he could had cost us at least two goals against a better opossition.
I don't remember any particular individual mistakes so that sounds a bit harsh, AZ only had one or two decent chances and the entire team was sleepwalking through the first half. I do remember a couple of interceptions in the second half and making it look easy.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Didn't look good out there, and it's not as if he was up against world class talent. Annoyed with how many times he played it square or backwards. People will say "no one was available for a pass", then run forward with the bloody thing!! Still hoping he's a step up from Lindelof but he must take his chances.

DoomSlayer

People hype him up as a proper ball playing defender, but he is not good on the ball at all and his passing is very shaky, to say it mildly.

pascell

Not his greatest game but his first full 90 since his injury so he's definitely lacking in sharpness, think he'll be a lot better vs Colchester. He also didn't benefit from the CMs not giving him an option or Greenwood running in behind his man for the ball over the top.

SAFMUTD

I don't remember any particular individual mistakes so that sounds a bit harsh, AZ only had one or two decent chances and the entire team was sleepwalking through the first half. I do remember a couple of interceptions in the second half and making it look easy.
In the first half there was a cross that he sleep on and the attacker anticipated him, at the end the finish was poor and the shot ended over the bar, but that kind of mistake most of times will end up in a goal against proper attackers, he is a good prospect but he’s not even remotely ready to be a starter for a EPL team, yet for a team with ManUtd ambitions.

criticalanalysis

Only saw the 2nd half, where it was bit of a non entity after the goals blitz, so bit disappointed to read the comments here saying he played bad in the first half.

He does seem like he needs a firecracker up his backside or something though as he's so casual and relaxed. Maybe he's taking it easy coming back from injury but I would like him to go 'beast mode' and completely shut down individual duels because physically he has it.

I think I/we may to have reign our expectations and be a bit more patient. To be fair he's barely had any minutes even compared to someone like Greenwood this season.

SteveW

He gave the ball away in bad positions a couple of times with very sloppy passes and played one of their strikers onside at one stage when everyone else had stepped up a mile. It was a rough first half for him.

Second half was better but obviously much easier too.

AR87

He's good enough to be a 3rd CB but he needs more time on the pitch. Unfortunate he got hurt when he did, but he will be needed during the holiday period and I believe he will perform up to the required level. His mistakes today we're uncharacteristic. I'm not worried too much.

mu4c_20le

He is really laid back and can at times be too casual, that was a thing even when he was at Villa.

kundalini

First half was genuinely shocking from Axel, as he is normally comfortable on the ball. If he wasn't giving away possession, he was handing responsibility to Romero in awkward situations, with AZ players pressing. He was beaten to a cross for their big chance towards the end of the first half. Much better in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.