Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

If we try this stupid experiment with AWB then Tuanzebe career with us is over.

I remember when we signed Maguire, it was being touted that Tuanzebe will be his partner and I am sure he would have been if he was not injured for the whole season. Now, it is obvious that Ole will rather play a soft baby in Lindelof than Baily and Tuanzebe just because he won't be injured after playing 3 games in a row.
I think we all had high hopes when it comes to Tuanzebe. But to be fair he's a level below the other CBs. If that's because of inexperience, not playing regularly, or lack of ability, I don't know. If we get another CB his United career is over. He wont get the minutes to develop unless 3 other players are injured.

BlahRules

I think we all had high hopes when it comes to Tuanzebe. But to be fair he's a level below the other CBs. If that's because of inexperience, not playing regularly, or lack of ability, I don't know. If we get another CB his United career is over. He wont get the minutes to develop unless 3 other players are injured.
I don't think that is true at all. When he was in his teens he was really good and that could be because he was playing regularly in the reserves and had match fitness. The only player in our ranks I can say that is better than him is Maguire and maybe Baily but Lindelof is not better than him.

I am sure with a run of games Tuanzebe can be the second-best defender from the current bunch but that's if Ole does show some faith which I doubt will happen.

We should sell him with a buy-back clause because I know he will be one of the best defenders in the league when given the game time.

userman

He's contracted until 2023(including the one-year-option), so I hope we loan him out next season to one of the mid-table teams to further develop. Hopefully that gets him regular playing time, which he won't get here, and a chance to prove that he deserves a bigger role in our team in the future. If he fails to convince we can sell him next summer.

A-man

I don't think that is true at all. When he was in his teens he was really good and that could be because he was playing regularly in the reserves and had match fitness. The only player in our ranks I can say that is better than him is Maguire and maybe Baily but Lindelof is not better than him.

I am sure with a run of games Tuanzebe can be the second-best defender from the current bunch but that's if Ole does show some faith which I doubt will happen.

We should sell him with a buy-back clause because I know he will be one of the best defenders in the league when given the game time.
I don't think we have seen enough of him to say how good he is. He has started 4 PL games as CB in his whole career, I think. Plus some cup matches.
From what I have seen, he has been a level below the other CBs. However imo all his weak sides are sides that can be improved with game time. It is critical for him to play matches, but it is difficult to give that to a CB at PL level, especially since Ole doesn't rotate much.

United in sin

Tuanzebe should be given a chance ahead of Lindelof IMO seeing as he has the attributes Solskjaer is looking for. It's so blatantly obvious that Lindelof is the weakest link in that defense but he racks up minutes due to his nearly pristine injury record which is a credit to him but not to the team overall as his slowness and lack of physical prowess hinders United.

If we do sign another CB to help Maguire cover his own defeciencies and limitations I don't see Lindelof sticking around much longer scrapping for game time. His agent made claims of Barca interest a few seasons ago. La Liga or Serie A could be his calling

krentz

He needs to move out of the club to save his career. He'll be 24 next season, the most crucial age to establish himself whether as standard PL player or only good enough for Championship. I still think there's a PLAYER in him, it's just that he lacks of playing time which unfortunately something we cant afford because apparently his mental isnt strong enough, yet. shame that he lost 1 crucial year of development at United. A move to some lower PL club or top end Championship club would do great for his mentality and confidence.

A-man

Tuanzebe should be given a chance ahead of Lindelof IMO seeing as he has the attributes Solskjaer is looking for. It's so blatantly obvious that Lindelof is the weakest link in that defense but he racks up minutes due to his nearly pristine injury record which is a credit to him but not to the team overall as his slowness and lack of physical prowess hinders United.

If we do sign another CB to help Maguire cover his own defeciencies and limitations I don't see Lindelof sticking around much longer scrapping for game time. His agent made claims of Barca interest a few seasons ago. La Liga or Serie A could be his calling
He had a good game vs PSG and then his last games were good if we consider he’s a player in development. In between that I don’t think he added anything extra to suggest he was worth moving up in picking order. Remember that all other three CBs performed well for a long period of time. We started the season badly, but after game 3 until we secured the top-4, we only conceded 24 goals in 31 games.

georgipep

A player who is good for the reserves and youth teams does not necessarily translate that level of performance into senior/first team football. Maybe Axel will develop into a solid CB with regular playing time but for now, when given the opportunity, he has severely lacked compared to Bailly and is miles behind Lindelof.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Hehe.

BlahRules

A player who is good for the reserves and youth teams does not necessarily translate that level of performance into senior/first team football. Maybe Axel will develop into a solid CB with regular playing time but for now, when given the opportunity, he has severely lacked compared to Bailly and is miles behind Lindelof.
Well from the recent weeks of football, Tuanazebe seems to be the only leader we had when Maguire was injured. Lindelof and Bailly both failed to play the LCB role and further looked clueless.

I was annoyed that Lindelof was automatically selected and pissed that Tuanazebe had to be left as he was the player that was playing with form.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do you remember when he was asked to play LB and only for him to dominate a prime Sanchez who at that time was one of the best players in the league.
Yep. Well, pretty sure it was RB, but yea.

georgipep

Well from the recent weeks of football, Tuanazebe seems to be the only leader we had when Maguire was injured. Lindelof and Bailly both failed to play the LCB role and further looked clueless.

I was annoyed that Lindelof was automatically selected and pissed that Tuanazebe had to be left as he was the player that was playing with form.
When has Tuanzebe been a leader? Lindelof has always been both more reliable and better in his CB role when compare to Axel.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You're right he was playing as a right back. Impressive that he can match players that have a short burst of pace.
I agree. I was a huge fan of Axel at the time, and he was fantastic in the academy. But so was Roshaun Williams, who is now at Shrewsbury. I don’t think he’s done nearly enough in the years that have followed to warrant the way people still talk about him. He’ll be 24 soon, and hasn’t really built much of a portfolio of good performances at centre half.

I think he was alright at Villa on loan, but Ben White who was on loan in the Championship was far better, for comparison, and is now a full England international, at a younger age than Axel. And then even he is someone who many would say isn’t quite of the level. I’m not sure why the standard needs to be shifted because players come from the academy. The standard is just the standard.

That said, I do think Axel’s last couple of games at centre half were impressive, and if he goes on to prove me wrong, fantastic. At present, the way Villa are throwing money around, I’d cash in on a decent offer for sure though.

United in sin

When has Tuanzebe been a leader? Lindelof has always been both more reliable and better in his CB role when compare to Axel.
Lindelof has never kept a top forward in his pocket. Tuanzebe achieved that with ease against Mbappe. That single performance was the best we've seen from a centerback in our ranks in the last couple of seasons. He should've been allowed to build on that.

A-man

Lindelof has never kept a top forward in his pocket. Tuanzebe achieved that with ease against Mbappe. That single performance was the best we've seen from a centerback in our ranks in the last couple of seasons. He should've been allowed to build on that.
Axel had a great match but as I wrote before; he had a simple ( not easy) task in the sense it was non-complex and easy to understand. He never had to make any decisions, he was a small part of a 8 players defence. He did great, but that scenario is rare and should be rare for a team like United. In the next game against much worse Istanbul he played easier opponents but got a too big task that included difficult decisions. He was not ready. Lindelof would have managed that much better just like Axel manage the situation vs PSG better than Lindelof would have.But we don’t want to play every game as we did against PSG.

And about “top forwards in the pocket”.Top forwards rarely score when Lindelof plays, he struggled more against other types of players. But not Kane, Vardy, Aguero etc, they leave without goal.

OmarUnited4ever

I think we should sell him, hopefully we can get 20m for him, we need quality CB to play next to Maguire. He also needs to leave to get playing time, hes 'not a youngster anymore.

United in sin

Axel had a great match but as I wrote before; he had a simple ( not easy) task in the sense it was non-complex and easy to understand. He never had to make any decisions, he was a small part of a 8 players defence. He did great, but that scenario is rare and should be rare for a team like United. In the next game against much worse Istanbul he played easier opponents but got a too big task that included difficult decisions. He was not ready. Lindelof would have managed that much better just like Axel manage the situation vs PSG better than Lindelof would have.But we don’t want to play every game as we did against PSG.

And about “top forwards in the pocket”.Top forwards rarely score when Lindelof plays, he struggled more against other types of players. But not Kane, Vardy, Aguero etc, they leave without goal.

I have to categorically disagree with you here. Coming up against Mbappe is no easy task even if it's all you're asked to perform. Mbappe is a world class player. Lindelof has not dominated any forward in his time at United in a similar fashion and we've been setting up like lower to mid table teams against the big boys for a while now. The PSG game was merely emblematic of that approach.

To match and silence a world class star on form you have to put in a world class/stand out performance no matter what your role is and that's exactly how Tuanzebe went about his business. What do you honestly think would've happened if Lindelof played that role instead against Mbappe? Even with Tuanzebe being naturally pacy and athletic he had to show good awareness, timing and spot on positioning to quell the Mbappe threat. Mbappe is not just fast, he's a skillful and tricky customer with a broad skillset that sets him apart and helps him evade centerbacks, even those who match his pace

Also for what's it's worth Vardy has scored twice against United with Lindelof in the lineup. First was the 2-2 draw in the league in 2017 and second was in our 1-2 win at Leciester in the 2018/19 community shield. Lindelof did play RB in the 2-2 draw and was forced off by back injury. He was nowhere to be seen for Vardys goal that came on his right side off the break

Aguero scored against us in 17/18 in city's 3-1 win in the league with Lindelof playing. I suspect you might delve in deeper and analyze the goals, tell me how your man wasn't at fault. Goals on their own (or lack off) don't tell the whole story of Lindelof's perfmances against those players because he's gotten away with some bad defending that wasn't punished. As someone who seems to pay close attention to the nuances of the game you shouldn't base your assessment of Lindelof's perfmances against top forwards on goals alone. He's your favorite player though so those feelings sometimes take over reality. Your statement was wrong though, so let's keep things factual.

Last edited:

A-man

I have to categorically disagree with you here. Coming up against Mbappe is no easy task even if it's all you're asked to perform. Mbappe is a world class player. Lindelof has not dominated any forward in his time at United in a similar fashion and we've been setting up like lower to mid table teams against the big boys for a while now. The PSG game was merely emblematic of that approach.

To match and silence a world class star on form you have to put in a world class/stand out performance no matter what your role is and that's exactly how Tuanzebe went about his business. What do you honestly think would've happened if Lindelof played that role instead against Mbappe? Even with Tuanzebe being naturally pacy and athletic he had to show good awareness, timing and spot on positioning to quell the Mbappe threat. Mbappe is not just fast, he's a skillful and tricky customer with a broad skillset that sets him apart and helps him evade centerbacks, even those who match his pace

Also for what's it's worth Vardy has scored twice against United with Lindelof in the lineup. First was the 2-2 draw in the league in 2017 and second was in our 1-2 win at Leciester in the 2018/19 community shield. Lindelof did play RB in the 2-2 draw and was forced off by back injury. He was nowhere to be seen for Vardys goal that came on his right side off the break

Aguero scored against us in 17/18 in city's 3-1 win in the league with Lindelof playing. I suspect you might delve in deeper and analyze the goals, tell me how your man wasn't at fault. Goals on their own (or lack off) don't tell the whole story of Lindelof's perfmances against those players because he's gotten away with some bad defending that wasn't punished. As someone who seems to pay close attention to the nuances of the game you shouldn't base your assessment of Lindelof's perfmances against top forwards on goals alone. He's your favorite player though so those feelings sometimes take over reality. Your statement was wrong though, so let's keep things factual.
I specifically said it wasn’t easy, but simple ie not complex. His task did not include a lot of decision making. When he got a more complex task vs Istanbul we had to take him off at half time because it wasn’t pretty. However the ability to make the right decisions might come with matches, but he’s not there now. He was great vs PSG, but as I wrote it was a very special ultra defensive setup which we basically never play and don’t want to play.

Yes Lindeof has been part of conceding goals against top strikers. You found 2-3 goals 2-4 years ago and there is more, but in general he’s been very good against the best forwards. This has been discussed many times before That’s not where he struggles. I really don’t remember those goals 3-4 years ago so can’t comment if it was his fault or not.

Tallis

I think he didn’t have any injury issues from oct of last year to the end of the season. I think that’s great news. I rate him more than Bailly or Lindelof. Would be great to say him stay and get some game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.