Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

He must immediately start if fit. The question is, in a pair with whom

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If him and Laird ever had a chance, this is it. Hope he gets his share of game time now, he's got as much of a claim as the rest of them.

MrBest

He must immediately start if fit. The question is, in a pair with whom
Exactly, Maguire does not deserve to be a autmatic starter. I would put him next Bailey purely because I cannot stand to watch maguire anymore and I personally do not rate Lindeloff.

Alemar

Exactly, Maguire does not deserve to be a autmatic starter. I would put him next Bailey purely because I cannot stand to watch maguire anymore and I personally do not rate Lindeloff.
I would agree, if Bailly performed well, but he also doesn’t deserve to start now. None of them does, sadly - up to a point where we might start Rojo (I guess starting a pair of Tuanzebe and Mengi together would be a little bit too much)

I think we need to have a bit of caution here.

This is a lad who has been injured for a year, and has barely played a dozen games at the highest level.

Needs to be eased into the team. Throwing him into the deep end, with our current shit show of a defence is not going to help him.

I’m really glad he’s fit, but he has a hell of a lot to prove, and he’s not immediately the answer to all our problems.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

This is a lad who has been injured for a year, and has barely played a dozen games at the highest level.

Needs to be eased into the team. Throwing him into the deep end, with our current shit show of a defence is not going to help him.

I’m really glad he’s fit, but he has a hell of a lot to prove, and he’s not immediately the answer to all our problems.
This all day! No rush to chuck him in yet.

JPB

But Smalling is sold, so it must be him and... ?
I don't know. The lot of them are absolutely terrible. I'd be tempted to maybe give Rojo another go. We don't have a lot of options. But one thing I do know. I don't want to see Lindelof starting for us ever again.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's hard to be worse than Lindelof and Bailly. Hopefully he can step up and stay fit.

Bwuk

This is his chance.

Our defence is a mess and needs fixed next year.

If he can’t stay fit and establish himself well move him on and give Mengi his chance.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

No no he’s our best CB, has to start every match.

**1 match later**

Oh he’s a fecking disgrace, absolutely terrible. Why’s he still at the club, shambles.

Rinse and repeat.

MrBest

I would agree, if Bailly performed well, but he also doesn’t deserve to start now. None of them does, sadly - up to a point where we might start Rojo (I guess starting a pair of Tuanzebe and Mengi together would be a little bit too much)
Probably not the worst in the world given the lack of form from others. Youngsters make mistakes but they tend to show more hunger

edcunited1878

He hasn't shown anything in the PL for over a year, and people are asking him to go straight into the team? He has zero match fitness for again, in over a year.

Maguire is going to play and he's going to have to straighten himself out extremely quickly and step it the feck up. It'd be nice to just drop and prove a point to Harry, but he will get his chance to play out of his shit form for good or bad. Axel needs match fitness and it would be interesting to see if he's in a back 3 with a Maguire and Shaw or Lindelof to support him in defense.

A-man

He hasn't shown anything in the PL for over a year, and people are asking him to go straight into the team? He has zero match fitness for again, in over a year.

Maguire is going to play and he's going to have to straighten himself out extremely quickly and step it the feck up. It'd be nice to just drop and prove a point to Harry, but he will get his chance to play out of his shit form for good or bad. Axel needs match fitness and it would be interesting to see if he's in a back 3 with a Maguire and Shaw or Lindelof to support him in defense.
He needs fitness and experience. He has only been starting CB in 1 PL game in his entire career. I think he’ll play cup matches to start and then if he does well, advance to PL.

Himannv

He's not going to be ready to just step in and play at the top level just like that. It will take time and games, preferably in the Cup and in the reserves to get him up to the required match fitness. Getting the proper level of experience and consistency is a whole different problem entirely. I'm surprised so many are putting so much pressure and expectations on his right now tbh.

He's not going to be ready to just step in and play at the top level just like that. It will take time and games, preferably in the Cup and in the reserves to get him up to the required match fitness. Getting the proper level of experience and consistency is a whole different problem entirely. I'm surprised so many are putting so much pressure and expectations on his right now tbh.
Indeed. This is not an experienced player coming back from injury.

It’s a kid, coming off the back of being injured for a year, and who is completely unproven at this level having barely ever played in the PL.

We are not and should not be throwing him in at the deep end.

edcunited1878

He needs fitness and experience. He has only been starting CB in 1 PL game in his entire career. I think he’ll play cup matches to start and then if he does well, advance to PL.
He'll play U23s to start or behind closed doors to start. Then go into the League Cup and maybe FA Cup. The back 3 comment is completely hypothetical, but Axel doesn't deserve anything to do with first XI in the PL for a while unless there's a severe injury crisis and even then, he has to be available to play.

A-man

He'll play U23s to start or behind closed doors to start. Then go into the League Cup and maybe FA Cup. The back 3 comment is completely hypothetical, but Axel doesn't deserve anything to do with first XI in the PL for a while unless there's a severe injury crisis and even then, he has to be available to play.
Yes they will slowly ramp up his game. I don’t know much about Mengi and which of the two players that will be prioritised. Can’t really develop too many players at the same time.

What specific injury?
I am not sure but he’s had a few of them. I know he had some hip problems but the last injury, don’t really know what it was about.

edcunited1878

Yes they will slowly ramp up his game. I don’t know much about Mengi and which of the two players that will be prioritised. Can’t really develop too many players at the same time.

I am not sure but he’s had a few of them. I know he had some hip problems but the last injury, don’t really know what it was about.
Exactly and totally agree on developing too many players at the same time because they will have their inconsistencies and you cannot rely on them throughout a season. Just the nature of playing with young players unless they have generational talent that you're going to be okay with (TAA for example).

BlueHaze

What has kept him out for the past year?
Ankle injury. Unfortunately the same one he injured in Villa near the end of his loan. He's had surgery on it now and will be back after the international break according to Ole. Imo the best defender we have but seems to be another Phil Jones in terms of fitness sadly.....

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s got the athleticism we desperately need at centre half but throwing him into the team is nothing short of a Hail Mary and totally unfair on the lad.

We all know we need a CB but as it stands we should stick with the partnership that did okay last season. Get back to basics and try and get some points on the board and rebuild confidence.

Fred, Mctominay and Bruno should start the next game. Give that defence some protection while we find our feet. Makes us hard to beat again, grind out some results, and build from there.

King Andow

He should start often when fit, will be 23 next month and already got a loan, let's see what he's made of; other than glass. At least he has potential and we already saw enough of the others, won't do much worse.

hungrywing

He’s got the athleticism we desperately need at centre half but throwing him into the team is nothing short of a Hail Mary and totally unfair on the lad.

We all know we need a CB but as it stands we should stick with the partnership that did okay last season. Get back to basics and try and get some points on the board and rebuild confidence.

Fred, Mctominay and Bruno should start the next game. Give that defence some protection while we find our feet. Makes us hard to beat again, grind out some results, and build from there.
You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Probably Ole knows it. But will he do it? (I also think a diamond with those three and vdB would work)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Probably Ole knows it. But will he do it? (I also think a diamond with those three and vdB would work)
Agreed. We need more variety to our approach so using a diamond is an interesting idea. Just don’t see much threat from our full backs so not convinced it’ll work. We just need much more pressing energy in midfield, so Bruno, McT and Fred works for me, although I’d also consider swapping McT for VbB.

Grande

Ankle injury. Unfortunately the same one he injured in Villa near the end of his loan. He's had surgery on it now and will be back after the international break according to Ole. Imo the best defender we have but seems to be another Phil Jones in terms of fitness sadly.....
If only we could build one CB by sawing up and stiching together the body parts of Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe, we’d possibly actually have the new Duncan Edwards

Provided our Dr Frankenstein got it right, of course ...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If only we could build one CB by sawing up and stiching together the body parts of Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe, we’d possibly actually have the new Duncan Edwards

Provided our Dr Frankenstein got it right, of course ...
Be careful. There will be people who'd say Duncan Edwards as a CB is a silly idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.