Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Maguire does the same thing. I genuinely believe he just wants to get through the game as quick as possible and doesn't enjoy it at all. Our defence always looks nervous as feck, Shaw aside.
Not really surprising when Daves got your back. When your a defender and know your keepers going to sit on his line regardless of how much trouble you’re in, it’s obviously going to play on your mind. That said only time he came off his line Lindelof dropped him in the shite.

Red_toad

Blaming that goal on Tuanzebe is just scapegoating. He made one mistime challenge in middle of the park. Our entire defending for that last free-kick was atrocious. It's unfortunate Tuanzebe is getting destroyed on twitter for a simple foul
Yep that’s where our fans are at now. Sloppy foul and they smell blood. Shame people aren’t held accountable for what they post on social media, they can do it without any repercussions, something really has to change.

Litch

His performance against PSG doesn’t fit his OWN narrative as it is an anomaly of a performance for him.

And yes, ‘all we had to do was defend a free kick into our box’. That’s the entire point of the criticism. There are many more preferable scenarios than having to defend a free kick into our box in the last minute when defending a lead. Even then, he didn’t actually do the defending part very well either.

And why doesn’t he deserve our frustrations? Of course he does. His post match performance thread cannot reasonably be expected to be anything but overwhelmingly negative, as has been the case for his last several games. Cavani’s post match thread looks one way, Tuanzebe’s and De Gea’s looks another, as is to be expected by anyone who saw their contributions.

And we didn’t lose.
So how many first team games has he played in order for you to decide it was an anomaly? Been a Utd fan long enough to hear this nonsense about young players. I suppose you were one of those that said young Ronaldo was a one trick pony with no end product when we lost. It's amazing how fans have amnesia about footballers good attributes and abilities when we lose. Would respect people's opinion more if they posted these negative views when we win but we all know that wouldn't be the case.

I'm sorry but anyone who has kicked a football knows coming on late in the game is never easy and people are talking like he gave a pen away. Yes, overwhelmingly negative sums it up pretty much on here.

Several games, how many several he played this season? We now want to criticise a player who been on the pitch a matter of minutes in the same context to those who played the entire game. No doubt within the same context, there be those posting racist comments. Not saying its the same, but it's triggered by the same emotion. Not winning a football. More emotional competency and context, he's 23 played a handful of games, had long period of injuries and came on with only minutes left in a game.

Nick7

The result wasn’t his fault but he should never be coming on there. We were winning at home, we didn’t need a third centre back coming onto the pitch.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
2 OG's and yesterdays performance. I just dknt see it with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So how many first team games has he played in order for you to decide it was an anomaly? Been a Utd fan long enough to hear this nonsense about young players. I suppose you were one of those that said young Ronaldo was a one trick pony with no end product when we lost. It's amazing how fans have amnesia about footballers good attributes and abilities when we lose. Would respect people's opinion more if they posted these negative views when we win but we all know that wouldn't be the case.

I’ve watched Axel since he was 17 and have seen several games from him. How many games do you have to watch of a footballer who doesn’t play for Manchester United before you decide whether you think he’s good or not? Do you wait a season or two to decide whether a new Liverpool academy graduate is shit or not?
I’ve watched the same amount of first team games as anyone else. His appearances have not been in secret. He’s never impressed me in any of them other than PSG - hence me calling it an anomaly.

And I’ve been a United fan long enough to hear how many bang average (at best) academy players are all amazing before they inevitably find a level more suited to their abilities. And you suppose wrong about Ronaldo.

I'm sorry but anyone who has kicked a football knows coming on late in the game is never easy and people are talking like he gave a pen away. Yes, overwhelmingly negative sums it up pretty much on here.
We can only appraise the performance that happened. If it’s 5 minutes, then that’s what it is. Nobody cares that it’s not easy to come on for 5 minutes. If you have a negative impact in that 5 minutes, what are we supposed to write about it?

And my personal opinion is not based on this 5 minutes. Although it is reinforced by this 5 minutes. His poor contribution doesn’t shock me, as I don’t think he’s a good player. And that is an opinion formed of cameos and games in which he has started. Such as the last fecking game that he started, where his contribution was similar to the one today, just expanded over more minutes!

Several games, how many several he played this season? We now want to criticise a player who been on the pitch a matter of minutes in the same context to those who played the entire game. No doubt within the same context, there be those posting racist comments. Not saying its the same, but it's triggered by the same emotion. Not winning a football. More emotional competency and context, he's 23 played a handful of games, had long period of injuries and came on with only minutes left in a game.
Why do you think he hasn’t played several games this season? And his career didn’t start this season. I’ve held an opinion on him before this season began, and one that he tends to reinforce everytime he steps on the pitch (at centre half, he’s a lot better when he plays other roles to me) except one game.

In summary, me not thinking he’s a United player doesn’t mean I think he is useless. Being food enough to play for another PL team doesn’t mean good enough for us. I just like to think I don’t apply blinkers to academy players. If you didn’t know his story, you would be confused as to why he’s here.

Michael Keane is a whole £30m worth of defender and a full international. Yet not one fan here would want us to sign him. Which just shows that to be at this club, you need to be exceptional. And there is nothing exceptional about Keane, and I’ve seen nothing exceptional about Axel.

And of course, nobody advocates racist abuse, and that wouldn’t be tolerated on here, thankfully. And I agree that fans are very emotional online, and I generally speak against that, and try to be measured. My measured opinion of Axel is that he’s an average player, and has been for a while if you read back through my posts. My emotional one is angry that he demonstrated it again today and cost us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Blaming that goal on Tuanzebe is just scapegoating. He made one mistime challenge in middle of the park. Our entire defending for that last free-kick was atrocious. It's unfortunate Tuanzebe is getting destroyed on twitter for a simple foul
I don't blame particularly much. He is who he is, a fouling and yellow card machine. I don't understand the need to add a third CB like that when Matic would have been better to bring some stability to kill the game. A CB doesn't give us control in these dying minutes, it just invites pressure inside our box.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He failed to mark CL also.

RkkMan

Strongly doubt it. I can even foresee a scenario where we are getting bids of over £10m and we are rejecting them saying he is not for sale. We have refused offers for Williams and James, I see no reason why we wouldn’t adopt the same approach towards Axel. Ole is an academy lover and a believer in tradition of the club.
Williams just signed a new contract not long ago and James has been here just 2 seasons now Axel has a year left on his deal and so far there`s no talk of an extension

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The problem for us isn't Tuazenbe but the ones who start at CB regularly. Until the level is raised at first team level which reflects what we see at other big clubs, then we will carry on having the same issues.

Michael Keane was mentioned earlier and he typifies the problems we've had at CB. We let him go for peanuts and signed players like Lindelof who are no better for £30m.

Devil81

Whatever way you sugar coat it and try and protect the kid from the horrid abuse he seems to be getting on social media he's made another mistake tonight.

All defenders/midfielders know you don't give cheap free kicks away in dangerous areas with a minute to go.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Strongly doubt it. I can even foresee a scenario where we are getting bids of over £10m and we are rejecting them saying he is not for sale. We have refused offers for Williams and James, I see no reason why we wouldn’t adopt the same approach towards Axel. Ole is an academy lover and a believer in tradition of the club.
I think at 24 next year, with us likely buying another centre half, he's surely got to want to move to find first team football. I think he'll realise that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It was a strange sub. He did exactly what I expected him to do unfortunately, surprised Ole didn't see it.
His cards to minutes played ratio must be insane.

AKDevil

About him? How about worrying for the club who are dropping points because of his shitty performances.
Haha, that’s a fair enough response. I meant I worry if he’s good enough. In a weird way what has concerned me most is the rash tackle against Sheffield United that he got booked for. A needless tackle in an area and situation he just didn’t have to make it. I found that very worrying judgement wise etc. He’s young though.

OldTrevil

Anyone blaming him for any of that fiasco at the end needs to give their head a wobble. The guy was on to clearly shithouse because we couldn't get control of the game and were hanging on. I remember a couple o time Matic has come on late and people praised him for fouling players and taking a gimme yellow. The foul he gave was also as far away in from our goal as he could possible get. He's the last person culpable for those lost points once you've gone through the players that played the whole game and then manager decisions.

Red00012

He was marking DCL for the free kick .....

Red00012

Anyone blaming him for any of that fiasco at the end needs to give their head a wobble. The guy was on to clearly shithouse because we couldn't get control of the game and were hanging on. I remember a couple o time Matic has come on late and people praised him for fouling players and taking a gimme yellow. The foul he gave was also as far away in from our goal as he could possible get. He's the last person culpable for those lost points once you've gone through the players that played the whole game and then manager decisions.
He left DCL go for the goal

NK86

What were we hanging on to? We were in absolute control. They were barely getting chances. Ole subs him to waste some time and he goes and does the one thing he didn't need to, give them a set piece chance. Shite player costing us again.

A-man

He was marking DCL for the free kick .....
That was also stupid. DCL scored most aerial goals in Europe last season (together with Lewandowski). Axel is our weakest CB in the air. Why was he responsible for marking DCL?

arthurka

Why are people going in about him being in anyway, shape or form guilty for the 3rd goal? AWB just ran out of position like a headless chicken, played a terrible ball up field when he should have squared it and recycled possession.

No one of our CM players covered the space left behind him so Alex stepped up and fouled a player 10 meters from the midfield line. Because their player had acres of space to run into and many players to find.

The third part is just a farce which we are getting all to familiar with these days. Leaving their best player in the air at the front of the pack with a right back marking him, no one running into space behind to cover where ball could fall into and that joke of a keeper who we pay 350k a week for the sheer entertainment of calamity and funny faces afterwards and our 80m captain who decided to play to his own defensive line and play 5 Everton players onside.

No but let's blame the guy who did a routine defending close the the midfield line.

Last edited:

OldTrevil

What were we hanging on to? We were in absolute control. They were barely getting chances. Ole subs him to waste some time and he goes and does the one thing he didn't need to, give them a set piece chance. Shite player costing us again.
What kind of absolute control is a 3-2 lead against everton with our clownish defence? There's always a sense of jittery whenever we have a small lead with those comedians at the back. And it is exactly in those moments that they start pulling off their most bonkers of plays, acting like ball players but giving meek passes, not going in for aerial duels or losing out altogether, fiddling with the ball instead of booting it, and in case of De Gea booting it or parrying instead of holding it and giving the team time to advance, and so on. Tuanzebe is shite? :lol: You want to talk about shite players that are costing us, start no further than Maguire and deGea

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What kind of absolute control is a 3-2 lead against everton with our clownish defence? There's always a sense of jittery whenever we have a small lead with those comedians at the back. And it is exactly in those moments that they start pulling off their most bonkers of plays, acting like ball players but giving meek passes, not going in for aerial duels or losing out altogether, fiddling with the ball instead of booting it, and in case of De Gea booting it or parrying instead of holding it and giving the team time to advance, and so on. Tuanzebe is shite? :lol: You want to talk about shite players that are costing us, start no further than Maguire and deGea
This is Tuanzebe performances thread. Check out Maguire and DDG threads and see what's happening there.

Axel made a mistake. The problem is he makes them regularly, more often than any other CB we have.

Deery

Dreary
Tuanzebe is a good player anyone that watched him for Villa will know this he was better than Mings. To judge him on a couple of sub performances is crazy he needs a run of games before we throw the baby out with the bath water.

OldTrevil

This is Tuanzebe performances thread. Check out Maguire and DDG threads and see what's happening there.

Axel made a mistake. The problem is he makes them regularly, more often than any other CB we have.
I have nothing nothing good to say about Maguire and DDG at the moment so I prefer to stay away from their thread if I can help it. Also, no way does he make more mistakes than those two, I see so many from them throughout games, luckily for us a lot of them are not punished. However just like last night or against Sheff Utd, they get punished often enough to prevent us from sustaining any sort of serious challenge. Saying that Axel is more mistake prone than Maguire is ridiculous for me.

quirkey

I have nothing nothing good to say about Maguire and DDG at the moment so I prefer to stay away from their thread if I can help it. Also, no way does he make more mistakes than those two, I see so many from them throughout games, luckily for us a lot of them are not punished. However just like last night or against Sheff Utd, they get punished often enough to prevent us from sustaining any sort of serious challenge. Saying that Axel is more mistake prone than Maguire is ridiculous for me.
Probably because he doesn’t play as much in fairness. If you trace it back though, Tuanzebe made that tackle to cover for AWB’s mistake where he couldn’t play a simple pass. This (and sitting deeper that the rest of the defence and keeping runners onside) is a recurring theme with AWB. He is simply not good enough to be a regular starter.
Going back to Tuanzebe, I don’t think he is good enough to be our starting centre half long term and think he would do better getting a move to a Villa/West Ham/Everton etc. The abuse he received last night is abhorrent and leaves a really nasty taste in the mouth.

OldTrevil

Probably because he doesn’t play as much in fairness. If you trace it back though, Tuanzebe made that tackle to cover for AWB’s mistake where he couldn’t play a simple pass. This (and sitting deeper that the rest of the defence and keeping runners onside) is a recurring theme with AWB. He is simply not good enough to be a regular starter.
Going back to Tuanzebe, I don’t think he is good enough to be our starting centre half long term and think he would do better getting a move to a Villa/West Ham/Everton etc. The abuse he received last night is abhorrent and leaves a really nasty taste in the mouth.
AWB has had positional errors and isn't as comfortable with the ball as one would like that's for sure, but he's been cutting out the errors and improving his attacking output so I have more time for him. He's younger as well so he's go more upside. If Tuanzebe needs to go to Villa, then Maguire should be sold to Fulham. He simply hasn't been given a chance while Maguire has been stinking up the place for god knows how long. I actually think that a Tuanzebe Lindelof partnership could work, as I rate both more than our calamitous captain, but it seems like Ole is never going to admit his mistake with Maguire and drop him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Came on for three minutes to see the game out and ends up costing us the game. I give up.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still have high hopes for him - you don’t pocket Mbappe and Neymar by coincidence - but he’s been indirectly at fault for 3 goals which have cost us 5 points. Hopefully it doesn’t impact him too much, I think he needs a run of games more than anything.

GlasgowCeltic

Loses value every time he steps onto the pitch. Liverpool would've got £25m and a buyback after the Villa loan.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Let me show you why you are wrong - Tuanzebe yellow cards:
7 in 13 appearances, 510 minutes. One every 73 minutes.

OldTrevil

Let me show you why you are wrong - Tuanzebe yellow cards:
I don't need yellow cards or such to tell me what I see with my own eyes, no way is Maguire a better footballer or defender than Axel

MetoTTT

Still have high hopes for him - you don’t pocket Mbappe and Neymar by coincidence - but he’s been indirectly at fault for 3 goals which have cost us 5 points. Hopefully it doesn’t impact him too much, I think he needs a run of games more than anything.
Djemba-Djemba did great against us in the ECL and Kleberson was key in a Brazil WC winning team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Djemba-Djemba did great against us in the ECL and Kleberson was key in a Brazil WC winning team.
For different teams in very different circumstances. We know that Axel has it in him to play well for us - the PSG game was what, 3 months ago?

The Oracle

Right, so here is what happened...
- 4th official indicates that there are 4 added minutes to be played at the end of the 90
- In the 92nd minute Ole brings on Tuanzebe, and so the referee decides to add on an extra minute because of this
- In the 94th minute, the match would have been over had we not made the substitution
- In the 95th minute Tuanzebe gives away a needless free-kick
- in the 96th minute as the ball is played in from the free-kick, Tuanzebe was marking DCL. DCL reacts quicker to the flick-on than Tuanzebe, and DCL scores the equalizer with the last kick of the game.

Let's be honest, if that was Klopp bringing on an unnecessary substitute in the 92nd minute to try and waste time, and the above happened, we would be absolutely pissing ourselves and ripping him to shreds.

I have to say, that Tuanzebe substitute really was comedy gold. You couldn't make it up.

NK86

Our lead was slender but they were barely threatening. We had control of the ball and the game, until Axel walks in fecks it all up in one fell swoop - mindless foul, and then not tracking DCL. Look wherever you want but the reality is that Axel doesn't deserve to play for us and no amount of :lol: will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.