Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number32

Solid performance from him, almost scores a goal too. Konsa is following Mings to their physio room, that's mean a guarantee starting xi for Tuanzebe.

He's on the right team, lets see how he will improve there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I saw the first half. Villa weren't well organized at times, but I don't think he did anything wrong. He's poor on the ball, playing on the left doesn't help.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I saw the first half. Villa weren't well organized at times, but I don't think he did anything wrong. He's poor on the ball, playing on the left doesn't help.
Villa gave a debut to 17 year old midfielder Carney Chukwuemena along with many new players who haven't played together much. So I think it's understandable they'd be slightly disorganised.

Infestissumam

good to see him get 90 minutes, hope to see more of that. From what I've read, he was solid ... Birmingham Mail rated him a 6/10, SB Nation a 7/10. Good enough for me.

Devil may care

He hasn't played regularly for over a year so he's going to need a few games to get the rust off.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He did well after that first mistake which led to goal. Lukaku was in his pocket pretty much all game.

bond19821982

Except when Lukaku scored two goals...what are 2 goals, eh?
Wait, let me get this right . you just looked at the score and saw Lukaku scored two times. Ok, then I will assume Axel might have had a poor game . Is that how it works?

Godfather

Wait, let me get this right . you just looked at the score and saw Lukaku scored two times. Ok, then I will assume Axel might have had a poor game . Is that how it works?
Not to have a dig at Axel but you can't claim a striker was in a CB's pocket if said striker scored twice.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I watched the game. Whole game. And your view is the same as lots of fans had for Smalling and Jones for years; " Yeah, great game, everything great except those few mistakes which led to goal".
I am sorry. Imo, bar for United defender is high. At first goal he reacted like rookie and for 3rd goal he could have position himself better.

SAFMUTD

He got totally skinned by Lukaku in the first goal, he may go up and have a good EPL career but I don't think it'll be with us.

Hopefully he can have better performances and we can sell him next summer for a good profit.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think we have still the same issue with our youngsters for decades now. We all want them to succeed at the club, but only few of them have the qualities to play for the first team.

If Axel was that good, he would be with us, we would have sold Bailly and keep him, but actually he's not better than him being 4th choice here. So hopefully he does a good season and we can sell him.

bond19821982

I watched the game. Whole game. And your view is the same as lots of fans had for Smalling and Jones for years; " Yeah, great game, everything great except those few mistakes which led to goal".
I am sorry. Imo, bar for United defender is high. At first goal he reacted like rookie and for 3rd goal he could have position himself better.
Yes, I am giving him a benefit of doubt . For a 23 year old playing after years of wilderness against a physical beast, he was good. Rio has had had worse moments when he was at the same age and still became a beast . I wouldn't write Axel off, not at least after 2 matches.

bond19821982

Not to have a dig at Axel but you can't claim a striker was in a CB's pocket if said striker scored twice.
I would rather blame Mings on how he was skinned for 3rd goal. First goal was for sure his mistake.

ReSchmycling

I would rather blame Mings on how he was skinned for 3rd goal. First goal was for sure his mistake.
To be fair to Tuanzebe for the first goal too, Lukaku did shape as if he was going to shoot with his left foot - and he implied in a post-match interview that Tuanzebe made a reasonable decision in the situation:

"It was a great pass. I played with [Axel] Tuanzebe back in the day, he knows I’m left-footed, so I switched to my right."

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes, I am giving him a benefit of doubt . For a 23 year old playing after years of wilderness against a physical beast, he was good. Rio has had had worse moments when he was at the same age and still became a beast . I wouldn't write Axel off, not at least after 2 matches.
I give you credit for patience. I am not like you. You say he is only 23. I say; he is already 23. With 23 years old, he doesn't have many excellent games, does he? So it is not about 2 games in Villa.

He is just overhyped. I rate ball quick ball playing defenders above others (Rio, Maldini, Varane are my favorites for example) but Axel's positioning and decision making is just something which i can't accept.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair to Tuanzebe for the first goal too, Lukaku did shape as if he was going to shoot with his left foot - and he implied in a post-match interview that Tuanzebe made a reasonable decision in the situation:
It was more how he bought the dummy too easily. He over committed and left himself exposed. While it was a nice play by Lukaku it wasn't great defending.

Jezpeza

I give you credit for patience. I am not like you. You say he is only 23. I say; he is already 23. With 23 years old, he doesn't have many excellent games, does he? So it is not about 2 games in Villa.

He is just overhyped. I rate ball quick ball playing defenders above others (Rio, Maldini, Varane are my favorites for example) but Axel's positioning and decision making is just something which i can't accept.
He’s Just not very good. Should be sold. Seems to have a little fanbase here who think he is going to be the next big thing which is bizarre

VanDeBank

Ma’am

If Varane were a ball playing CB he'd be Virgil van Dijk.

ReSchmycling

It was more how he bought the dummy too easily. He over committed and left himself exposed. While it was a nice play by Lukaku it wasn't great defending.
Yes that's how it ended up and he did buy the dummy, but I wonder if over-committing was partly from having to stretch for the potential block while in the process of making up ground on Lukaku. He certainly didn't cover himself in glory, but I think there's an element of bad luck too (and credit to Lukaku).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Virgil Van Dijk who has had 3 good seasons is being used as a measuring stick for Varane?

:lol:
No I'm saying if Varane were a ball playing CB he'd be perfect. Sure, it's debatable how good/bad he is on the ball, but to put him in the Rio category is a massive stretch.

No I'm saying if Varane were a ball playing CB he'd be perfect. Sure, it's debatable how good/bad he is on the ball, but to put him in the Rio category is a massive stretch.
How do you decide if a CB is a ball playing cb? Whenever I've seen Varane play he's been very comfortable on the ball and able to initiate attacks by passing forward or (on occasion) beating a man. What do you want to see from him that would convince you he is a ball playing cb?

bond19821982

I am not saying he is the next big thing but the lack of patience we show is baffling. Just because Jones or Smalling didn't make it doesn't mean anyone else can't make it. Just tell me how many defenders has had great games at the age of 23 ?

He hasn't even given an extended game time yet we are quick enough to write him off!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How do you decide if a CB is a ball playing cb? Whenever I've seen Varane play he's been very comfortable on the ball and able to initiate attacks by passing forward or (on occasion) beating a man. What do you want to see from him that would convince you he is a ball playing cb?
I don't, but I am gonna question someone's ability to judge a CB's (in this case Tuanzebe's) ability on the ball, if they think Rio and and Varane are anywhere close. They're not. And Varane really doesn't do any of that consistently.
The Virgil van Dijk who was playing in Scotland while Varane was winning Champions Leagues?
Doesn't change the fact that Virgil is brilliant on the ball. But if the name upsets you, just replace it with "best CB in the world" and my point still stands: if Varane was like Rio on the ball, he'd easily be the best CB in the world right now.

I don't, but I am gonna question someone's ability to judge a CB's (in this case Tuanzebe's) ability on the ball, if they think Rio and and Varane are anywhere close. They're not. And Varane really doesn't do any of that consistently.
You're sort of just saying "I think Varane isn't great on the ball and anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't get it" here. I think Varane looks really good on the ball - hard to compare with Rio, but I don't see VvD doing much more than Varane on the ball.

Rio and Vidic were our best ever CB partnership for my money. I also think Varane, as an individual player, is comparable to Rio, in terms of ball playing ability and general playing style. It's not a ridiculous thing to say, as much as you say it is.

SoCross

More game time for him. Villa seem to be sticking to a back 3. Almost a shame we play them next, hopefully it doesn’t break his momentum.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You're sort of just saying "I think Varane isn't great on the ball and anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't get it" here. I think Varane looks really good on the ball - hard to compare with Rio, but I don't see VvD doing much more than Varane on the ball.

Rio and Vidic were our best ever CB partnership for my money. I also think Varane, as an individual player, is comparable to Rio, in terms of ball playing ability and general playing style. It's not a ridiculous thing to say, as much as you say it is.
:confused:

Anyway, I don't think there's a single neutral out there that would say Varane or Maguire are as good as Rio or prime VVD on the ball. It's not just passing (which I would also plead no contest). Their touch, dribbling ability, the awareness they show after an interception, the composure when pressed was world class.

Compare 6:18 in the Rio clip to that huge chance Maguire gave West Ham.

The White Pele

A great result for his confidence, although I’m sure it was helped by the absence of Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.

Hopefully having him missing this weekend will be a disruption for Villa.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Is Konsa injured? Tuanzebe is partnering Mings in a back 4 tonight. Their back 5 has looked awful. They seemed disjointed but not a good look for Axel regardless.

Dante

Average bang
Is Konsa injured? Tuanzebe is partnering Mings in a back 4 tonight. Their back 5 has looked awful. They seemed disjointed but not a good look for Axel regardless.
Konsa got a straight red against West Ham.

Axel has 3 games to cement his claim as first choice. It's a big few weeks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.