• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

TEAM EAP/GSTQ

Tactics:

Formation: 4-2-3-1 / 3-4-3 hybrid

Inspiration for the team : All the boring drafters of Caf who pigeon hole Diego into a defensive 5-3-2. The greatest attacker of all time should play in a great attacking team

Team philosophy : Play attacking football, dominate possession by virtue of a great numbers and work rate advantage in midfield

Defending
: Zonal

Player roles :

Van Der Sar retains his position from the last game. He had an excellent showing in the top 20 GK's of all time thread as well, so that is good news.

Paolo Maldini marshals the left and central zones. Maldini was a decent passer himself and will help with building from the back.

Elias Figueroa marshals the defense and also acts as a play maker from deep. When in possession, he will constantly look to join the midfield and create an even bigger numbers advantage in midfield.

Jose Nasazzi - The Grand Marshall one probably best Uruguayan footballer of all time. Tall and strong, he was a quick, has a great recovery, excellent positioning, and brilliant both on the ground and in the air.

Giuseppe Bergomi marshals the right and central zones.

Duncan Edwards plays the role of the left B2B who will have both offensive and defensive responsibilities.

Roy Keane - One man midfield. All round midfielder who can contribute both ways. Between him and Edwards they for a solid shield in front of defence. When in possession, he helps in carrying ball forward.

Diego Maradona - No introduction needed. Probably best player on pitch (sorry, Pele!).

Zbigniew Boniek was chosen ahead of the likes of Gento simply because he ticks a lot more boxes that are needed for the system. He is a brilliant dribbler, is pacy and can score. Those are the basic attacking requirements, but there is more. He was a brilliant team player, his defensive work rate is brilliant and beyond the work rate, he would also act as an additional body deep or in midfield.

Tom Finney again ticks almost all the boxes Boniek ticks. Attacking, pace, dribbling, scoring, team player - everything checks. While his defensive work rate is not as high as Boniek, he also offers an additional body deep when the team is off the ball. In his Preston team, He would drop so deep into his own half waiting for the opposition to lose possession and be the first person to receive the ball when its won back.

Denis Law is the primary goal scorer of the team.

TEAM 2MUFC0

No holds barred in full Joga Bonito spirit, the game plan is to attack and score more goals than the opposition. Pele is given maximum freedom here, allowed to roam deep, behind the striker and switch with Puskas creating havoc for the opposition defence. This time they have a much more solid defence behind them with Nesta & Cafu coming in able to provide that rock solid base.

There are also a number of proven partnerships across the pitch, Nesta & Cafu who were part of that great Milan side, while Pele-Jairzinho and Gento-Puskas also have that proven real life chemistry. The heart of the team retains that Brazilian spirit with the quintessential CM Falcao paired with Zito at the base of the midfield. Both full backs are also superb going forward as well as defensively sound. Two of the greatest all-round modern defenders Nesta & Rio provide a watertight defensive core while also having elite level distribution. One of the greatest keepers of all time shields the goal in Maier.

Attacking wise the king Pele will be at the heart of the attack, with Gento & Jairzinho pinning the opposition fullbacks back there will be constant threat centrally and wide. Puskas will be ready to pounce. Zito anchors the midfield and partnered with the all action Falcao.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good team @2mufc0 . Two attacking teams going at each other, Pele against Maradona... this would be one cracking match in real life.

Just to start things off.

Zito is probably the weakest player in Pitch and he's facing Diego. This is one matchup that is surely in our favour. A match winning advantage.

My team is well set up to counter his threat. Perfect fullbacks to counter his wingers. A solid blend of strength/intelligence/positioning in my CBs to counter his attack.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good team @2mufc0 . Two attacking teams going at each other, Pele against Maradona... this would be one cracking match in real life.

Just to start things off.

Zito is probably the weakest player in Pitch and he's facing Diego. This is one matchup that is surely in our favour. A match winning advantage.

My team is well set up to counter his threat. Perfect fullbacks to counter his wingers. A solid blend of strength/intelligence/positioning in my CBs to counter his attack.
Don't think Zito is the weakest player, he's a multiple world cup winner. But if we want to do that sort of comparison I don't see him any worse than Nasazzi in terms of quality.

I think the bigger question mark is how you will be dealing with Pele as it appears you don't even have anyone covering those central areas. With Don Elias pushing up Puskas will ruthlessly expose the space left behind.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Don't think Zito is the weakest player, he's a multiple world cup winner. But if we want to do that sort of comparison I don't see him any worse than Nasazzi in terms of quality.

I think the bigger question mark is how you will be dealing with Pele as it appears you don't even have anyone covering those central areas. With Don Elias pushing up Puskas will ruthlessly expose the space left behind.
Figueroa moving up is just part of what made him a great sweeper. I fail to see how suddenly this is being portrayed as a defensive weakness. We are still playing a back 4 when off the ball. And we have 2 excellent carriers in Edwards/Keane to bring the ball forward.

No one covering central areas? How did you ever get to that conclusion when you have Edwards, Keane and Figueroa right there?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Figueroa moving up is just part of what made him a great sweeper. I fail to see how suddenly this is being portrayed as a defensive weakness. We are still playing a back 4 when off the ball. And we have 2 excellent carriers in Edwards/Keane to bring the ball forward.

No one covering central areas? How did you ever get to that conclusion when you have Edwards, Keane and Figueroa right there?
Who's playing the more defensive role out of Keane and Edwards?

Personally I think it's a mistake against this attack not to play a flat back 4, if you get caught in possesion with Figueroa in midfield - on the counter Gento and Jairzinho will be one on one with the full backs. Puskas was also great at finding space and I think he will get the better of Nasazzai more often than not.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Who's playing the more defensive role out of Keane and Edwards?

Personally I think it's a mistake against this attack not to play a flat back 4, if you get caught in possesion with Figueroa in midfield - on the counter Gento and Jairzinho will be one on one with the full backs. Puskas was also great at finding space and I think he will get the better of Nasazzai more often than not.
It is a back 4. The possession picture just illustrates how Figueroa's natural movement will be an asset to our midfield.

As to Keane vs Edwards, both are equally adept box-to-box players. Depending on the flank the ball is in one of them would advance with other playing a supporting role.

And as to Nasazzi, he's not only the inspirational captain, a world cup winner but also the Golden Ball winner of the World Cup. He has the intelligence and technique to match Puskas.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
With Don Elias pushing up Puskas will ruthlessly expose the space left behind.
What part of in possession do you not understand?

And what will Puskas do by exposing the space when his team doesn't have the ball? Hold onto his d*ck?

How is it any different to an upward arrow on a sweeper or libero?

All this while, let's not even consider Maldini and Bergomi, the absolute goats to cover being there.

Christ, thank feck Edgar is leading this and I don't get to post more.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What part of in possession do you not understand?

And what will Puskas do by exposing the space when his team doesn't have the ball? Hold onto his d*ck?

How is it any different to an upward arrow on a sweeper or libero?

All this while, let's not even consider Maldini and Bergomi, the absolute goats to cover being there.

Christ, thank feck Edgar is leading this and I don't get to post more.[/QUOTE
Do you have to be a dick all the time? It's only a fecking draft game, if you want it that bad you can go through.

GodShaveTheQueen

Do you have to be a dick all the time? It's only a fecking draft game, if you want it that bad you can go through.
Nah, not all the time. Just against posts that don't make any sort of sense. Feel free to respond to my questions on the football aspect of it though.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It's unfair to compare Zito to Nasazzi, though in different positions, Nasazzi is simply a better football player. Not just the Golden Ball in the WC, in IFFHS South American Player of 20th century, he was ranked as 26th same as Nilton and ahead of PR Falcao (31st). Zito didn't even make the list.

Even among the midfielders in the match, I'd definitely rank both Edwards and Keane ahead of Zito.

I reckon Edwards/Keane is more suitable to handle Pele's style, whilst Zito would definitely suffer against Maradona dribbling magic.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In 1930 Stabile was the top scorer in WC and Nasazzi took him out of the game completely.

Here is comparison with Santamaria

Nassazi of course. What Santamaria has on Nasazzi is having played for that great Real side but it doesn't even come close to captaining the NT to three consecutive world championship victories.
Another point to note is having Puskas as leading man ain't really a perfect choice. Both for Hungary and Real he always operated behind other strikers.

In your last match, you had Puskas and Pele in front 4 interchanging well which worked, but once you pulled Pele to AM behind Puskas, it changes the game totally.

willhse456

But who is better out of Van der Sar and Edwin Van der Sar :wenger:

I would have won my game if I knew how to do a formation graphic like that...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Just in case anyone gets confused by the gif. We are playing a standard 4-2-3-1 as below. The other picture just reflects Figueroa's natural movement and how it adds more strength to the middle.

I really don't understand why people don't get it. Full-backs moving forward everyone gets but if the CB does then there must be a gaping hole in defence.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I really don't understand why people don't get it. Full-backs moving forward everyone gets but if the CB does then there must be a gaping hole in defence.
Standard draft trope. Attacking defenders must be a defending weakness....unless they are named Beckenbauer. Everyone knows how sweepers operate, but then put it in a picture, then it gets questioned. I'm surprised that a sweeper of caliber of Figueroa, as leaving space behind is actually mentioned here when his advanced playmaking is what made him a GOAT.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Standard draft trope. Attacking defenders must be a defending weakness....unless they are named Beckenbauer. Everyone knows how sweepers operate, but then put it in a picture, then it gets questioned. I'm surprised that a sweeper of caliber of Figueroa, as leaving space behind is actually mentioned here when his advanced playmaking is what made him a GOAT.
There's a video compilation I remember watching that showcases his attacking ability pretty well. This is the one if I remember correctly-

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow based on the in possession graphic, am I correct in assuming that your full backs will rarely be joining the attack and take a more defensive role during the match?
They are not wingbacks but they'd venture to support in midfield (rather than in attack). Not much of overlapping runs, as the tactic is to overload the middle and let Maradona do the work. Minimal crossed from Fullbacks to Law if that's what you're referring to. But they'll move up a bit and support Edwards or Keane whichever flank ball may be in.

The team is built to feed Diego. You have hardworking players to feed him from behind, industriously winger who can drop and link or move up and score....cut in or split wide....it's a versatile and a very attacking formation.

MJJ

They are not wingbacks but they'd venture to support in midfield. Not much of overlapping runs, as the tactic is to overload the middle and let Maradona do the work. Minimal crossed from Fullbacks to Law if that's what you're referring to. But they'll move up a bit and support Edwards or Keane whichever flank ball may be in.

The team is built to feed Diego. You have hardworking players to feed him from behind, industriously winger who can drop and link or move up and score....cut in or split wide....it's a versatile and a very attacking formation.
Thanks. And what's the plan to deal with pele? Although your fullback tactics already go some way to neutralise his impact.

@2mufc0 same question but for Maradona?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There's nothing normal about the way you have depicted him in the second formation pic, he's basically in the DM position. He can't be in 2 places at once, hence my point about being able exploit space he vacates. I think you tried to over complicate it with the two formations, just show him in a normal flat back four if he's being used as a normal libero.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thanks. And what's the plan to deal with pele? Although your fullback tactics already go some way to neutralise his impact.

@2mufc0 same question but for Maradona?
When off possession, both Fullbacks will tuck in and create a compact and solid unit. No information needed on Keane and Edwards defensive output. Pele is not a dribbler to need a man marker. He's apt to play in a free role moving all over and we have two stellar DMs to handle him. Figueroa will move up to tackle the ball handler whilst Nasazzi will sweep for through balls.

Nasazzi made his mark as a fullback in a 2-3-5 and he's used to facing multiple attacking players. But here with two world class sidebacks on either side, they'll squeeze the life out of any attack.

And neither of the wingers will find it easy to dribble in as the caliber of Fullbacks are more than them.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
There's nothing normal about the way you have depicted him in the second formation pic, he's basically in the DM position. He can't be in 2 places at once, hence my point about being able exploit space he vacates. I think you tried to over complicate it with the two formations, just show him in a normal flat back four if he's being used as a normal libero.
You're nitpicking here. Second formation is when we are in possession. Meaning we have the ball. And there's no exploiting happening. It's just his normal play. He's a legendary sweeper because he moves up and makes played when he has the ball.

Either you haven't seen Figueroa or just plying your own incorrect interpretation here.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Pele wasn't a dribbler? Are you being serious?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You're nitpicking here. Second formation is when we are in possession. Meaning we have the ball. And there's no exploiting happening. It's just his normal play. He's a legendary sweeper because he moves up and makes played when he has the ball.

Either you haven't seen Figueroa or just plying your own incorrect interpretation here.
Yes he's a sweeper /libero not a DM.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Hard luck @Edgar Allan Pillow @GodShaveTheQueen

I thought you guys would have lined up with Baggio instead of Nasazzi given you have the perfect LCB / RCB’s for that system:

Baggio - Law
Boniek - Maradona - Finney
Edwards - Keane
Maldini - Figueroa - Bergomi​

GodShaveTheQueen

I thought you guys would have lined up with Baggio instead of Nasazzi given you have the perfect LCB / RCB’s for that system:

Baggio - Law
Edwards - Keane
That was the plan. Somewhere along the way we lost it. Happens.

Alright, I have made my mind. Lets go Maradona.

But not with a back 4. Lets stay with back 3 and build a WM. I don't think that has ever been done with Diego here.

Like the idea of Baggio with Diego. Baggio wont hinder much with Diego's playmaking or individuality considering he wasnt a pure number 10 or ball hogger anyways. And he could join Law upfront when Diego wants to thread passes from deep.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Baggio - Law
Edwards - Keane
We've had this debate in our PM. I felt Baggio, Maradona and Boniek have way too many overlap in Inside Left Channel. Plus his wingers convinced me to go back 4.