B2B Draft SF: Jim Beam vs Enigma/Theon

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

vs

TEAM BEAM

Formation: 4-2-2-2 - Carre Magique or France's Magic Square that set the World alight

Playing style: Attacking, characterized by team's invention, industry, creativity and cohesion

We will live and die in the same theme...

You all know the team by now (well, most of you anyway). Structured to bring the best in Platini by two players with immense pace and goalscoring ability while allowing Platini to be the Don of the team and in his element. Every player absolutely comfortable in their position to bring the best out of them.

Upgrades

In the team steps Frank Rijkaard. Or you can call him the last piece of the puzzle. And probably the most complete midfielder of all time. Protection, immense physicality and ball playing ability all at the ridiculously high level. He makes the midfield unit as perfect as it can be. More on him in the debate that will follow.

On the right side enters Carlos Alberto, arguably the greatest right back of all time fixing the only relatively weak spot in the team instead of Gerets (no offence Eric). He had it all, defensive ability, reading of the game, playmaking, dribbling and one of the players to be in the World Team of the 20th Century.

Jim Beam said:
Nobody is perfect, but a team can be. Well, maybe it ain't perfect, but looking at the pieces it is damn close to being one.
Well, it's perfect now. Only player who can upgrade it a bit isn't even picked yet.

Conclusion

Shut the middle of the park, force them on the flanks all 90 minutes.

You will hear a lot about individual ability of the opponent through this debate. Stats, numbers, goals, assists, Ballon d'ors. They still aren't balanced as much as they believe so. And they will not win the midfield battle.

Wish: put Messi in no. 10 role

TEAM ENIGMA/THEON:

Formation: 4-3-3 (Fluid)
Defensive line: Balanced
Style: Fluid, Direct, Attacking
Tactics: Tactically we will look to stretch the pitch through world-class wing-play whilst Redondo, Davids and Messi dictate play in the middle. On the ball we will shift the ball quickly, probing for opportunities to release the explosive offensive abilities within the front four - in Messi, Figo, Romario and Ronaldo we have a lightening quick front line stacked with outstanding dribbling ability which should prove too hot to handle for any backline.

Defence:
  • A fantastic unit led by the greatest defender of all time in Franco Baresi - unmatched in his combination of playmaking, ball-winning and defensive reading of the game. Opting for creating the best CB pairing in history, his partner Elias Figueroa compliments Baresi with his aggression, large frame, physicality and aerial ability. With Baresi and Figueroa together on the pitch we probably have the greatest pure defenders in the history of the game - and both compliment each other in their respective styles. If any defence is capable of shutting out a stacked opposition attack, it's this one.

• At right back we have arguably the greatest defensive right back of all time in Berti Vogts (two time Footballer of the Year in Germany, highest average rating by Kicker in ’73, ’75, ’76, ’77 ahead of the likes of Gerd Muller and Beckenbauer). Similar to Tassotti in style Vogts will tuck in and provide Baresi with the platform to influence the match.

• At left back we have one of the best attacking left backs in the game - Andreas Brehme, who provides physicality and energy which will be vital both in our attacking game but also be defensively solid to match up against Kalle. In possession Brehme will push forward to support Ronaldo (overlapping in a similar style to Marcelo at Real) to stretch the backline and utilise his devastating crossing ability - arguably the most effective of any offensive fullback.
Midfield:
  • The pivot of our midfield is Fernando Redondo – the one-man midfield who led Real Madrid to Champions Leagues success in ’98 and ’00. Arguably the most compete midfielder since Matthaus, Redondo will orchestrate play from deep whilst providing defensive solidity and elite-level ball-winning.

• Bringing balance and unmatched physicality to the side, Edgar Davids compliments the technical style of Redondo/Figo/Messi as the team’s engine-room and ball-winner (who was also excellent in possession – which is often overlooked). His energy on the left of midfield will be vital in containing opposition right flank when Carlos Alberto goes up.

• Linking midfield and attack we have Figo and Messi moving through the lines. Our best player and a genuine GOAT contender Messi would be drifting in and out in the area where he can find most space and be more dangerous. Figo with his work rate can also help the midfield and also stretch the outside channel, making space for Messi to slice the opposition defence open either with a final pass or scoring himself.
Attack:
  • On the flanks we have two Portugese Ballon D'or winners, beginning with Luis Figo - in his absolute zone here with a defensive right back behind him, providing him the opportunity to stretch the pitch and target the space left by Facchetti when he goes up his dribbling, trickery and opportunistic nature of using the space left behind.

• On the left we have Cristiano Ronaldo - given complete freedom to drive infield centrally to impact the game as a goalscorer. With 450 goals in 438 games at Real, including six straight seasons of 50+ goals each year, Ronaldo is arguably the most effective goalscorer in the draft - a physical colossus, with devastating movement, technical skill and finishing ability.

• Through the middle we have Messi who will occupy the area between the lines, looking for spaces as the heat of our attacking play. Having Figo and Ronaldo in the team will stretch the backline and create pockets of space for Messi to utilise his creativity and passing in possession (none better to receive those passes than Ronaldo / Romario) or drive at the defence on one of his trademark runs. Outside the dribbling, passing and creativity Messi is at the core another outstanding goal threat who has hit 523 goals in 526 games over the last ten years - one of only a few who is comparable to Ronaldo in terms of effectiveness.

• Leading the line is Romario – the absolute gold-standard when it comes to clinical #9’s whilst also offering majestic technical link of play and dribbling ability. His burst of pace and movement should cause problems for Jim Beam’s backline, particularly with the quality of service he will receive from Messi, Cristiano, Figo and Redondo.
Why we have the edge:

1. Balanced unit all over the pitch – We've managed to reinforce even further without compromising balance or sacrificing any of the harmony in the team. Cristiano would bring what Rivaldo did and more, whilst Figueroa is a fantastic upgrade on Ruggeri - defensively even more solid, fantastic in the air and also has that extra reading of the game that all great defenders do. We have a nice mixture of ball carriers in Figo and Messi, fantastic movement off the ball in Ronaldo and Romario, top notch finishing ability in the trio Romario, Ronaldo, Messi, creativity and passing ability in Messi, Figo and Redondo all sewn up together with grit, determination and lungs to cover an awful amount of space in Davids.

2. Attack - Both teams have fantastic attacks on show, but I think it's an area we definitely have the edge. A point worth mentioning is Cristiano's ability to jump ridiculously high and his timed runs into the box attacking the ball with his head is second to none. Maybe only Pele can rival him in that category and is one point where he definitely has the edge over Scirea on that side (great defender - but at a definite disadvantage vs Ronaldo aerially). We also have two brilliant crossers of the ball from both sides - Brehme and especially Figo, which makes it a viable route to goal:

Apart from that our attack is mouthwatering both in terms of quality and ruthlessness. In a tight margin game we definitely have the edge there with Cristiano, Messi and Romario scoring more than 2000 goals alone in their careers - indeed we see Romario causing all sorts of problems for Desailly with his low centre of gravity and agility, particularly in his ability to exploit the space created by Messi/Ronaldo and co.

3. Star quality – We have 2 potential GOAT's in our side and the best CB's in the game. When it comes to quality we certainly have the edge to pull it through. Buffon also is probably the best keeper to play the game(according to the CAF too!) and whilst Jim will definitely sport some top notch midfield quality ours isn't that far off in comparison. We have a lot of routes to goal and generally the more ruthless players to capitalize and outscore the opposition, whilst we also shade it in the central defence and goalkeeper, which essentially is the most dangerous area in front of the goal.

4. Taking care of opposition forwards - Vogts is one of the very best to go against a tricky and fast wing players. He is probably one of the best defensive full backs in the game and his record is probably one of the finest around. Vogts and Blokhin squared off 3 times in their careers with Vogts coming on top in all occasions:

Apart from Blokhin we have Kalle and Platini as JB primary goalscoring threats. Platini comes in a very saturated area where we have one of the best holders in Redondo and the best CB pair in Figueroa and Baresi. Kalle is also well covered by Brehme and Davids helping out. Generally our defensive unit is well prepared and tested for the task on hand.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Will adress most issues in 20, 30 minutes.

Don't vote until then!! Or vote, but for me.
Done. As I said in R1, wouldn't have mattered who the opponent was.

If you win, tag me in the finals for one last free vote.

Enigma_87

You know who
That Ronaldo-davids-brehme flank is perfect.
Cheers, mate.

Indeed we have set it up for a long time to go for Cristiano as Brehme is a natural upgrade on Marcelo in all time sense. He's a force going forward, yet excellent at the back with abundance of stamina to keep going for 90 mins.

Obviously having Davids there is a huge bonus as he is able to shield that left flank when he leaves space behind.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How do people rate Redondo's defensive game? More of a positional/interceptor? can't recall him being a big tackler.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I was hoping for Sheva here, I think his movement would've been more valuable to Cristiano and Messi, to an extent. It's great that you have 3 best goalscorers on the pitch, but I'm not completely sold on it as a unit.

I like JB's team better and I think it's a perfect and almost non-upgradable set up for Platini... but Enigma/Theon have advantage in terms of individuals (Messi, Ronaldo, Baresi, Figueroa...) and can snatch the victory here by the moment(s) of their genius.

Enigma_87

You know who
How do people rate Redondo's defensive game? More of a positional/interceptor? can't recall him being a big tackler.
Redondo was a smart tackler. He was like an octopus with his lean frame. He was the type that would definitely stick in but wouldn't go into wild tackles leaving a huge space behind.

To me Redondo is pretty good match for Platini considering the latter wasn't the fastest or most explosive #10 like Diego or peak Pele.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Would never, ever put 2 ball playing defenders behind Redondo. More to follow...

Once I find my feckin laptop

Enigma_87

You know who
I was hoping for Sheva here, I think his movement would've been more valuable to Cristiano and Messi, to an extent. It's great that you have 3 best goalscorers on the pitch, but I'm not completely sold on it as a unit.

I like JB's team better and I think it's a perfect and almost non-upgradable set up for Platini... but Enigma/Theon have advantage in terms of individuals (Messi, Ronaldo, Baresi, Figueroa...) and can snatch the victory here by the moment(s) of their genius.
Romario has also excellent movement mate. Not sure what Sheva will bring here more than Romario will.

I understand the love behind JB's team but would appreciate if voters look in terms of match winners as you said and especially in tight games it's question of who will be more ruthless in front of goal. Obviously Platini, Kalle and Blokhin are fantastic players on their own but we have the best possible CB pair to counter that threat centrally and also pretty solid full backs to counter the wide threat.

In terms of our attack I'd (obviously) say it's pretty complimentary and all of those being one of their best at their positions doesn't actually hurt the harmony.

If we look at them individually all have different roles. Messi as always is more of the creator, Cristiano is the one constantly on the move, making smart runs and exploiting the space. Romario is the one engaging the CB's and also being pretty deadly in the box.

There isn't an overlap in those three, nor fighting for same space.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Would never, ever put 2 ball playing defenders behind Redondo. More to follow...

Once I find my feckin laptop
Redondo already played at Real with two ball playing defenders in Sanchis and Hierro.

Besides Figueroa is not your typical sweeper. Being able to play ball under pressure is actually a bonus. He's one of the (if not the) best stoppers and man markers in the game. It's not like he doesn't have the history of handling one of the best strikers in the game in Muller at his peak too!

Enigma_87

You know who
Nope. Not so dominant like these 2. And even in that set up he absolutely owned the midfield.
I'm not sure how Figueroa or Baresi will dispute him owning the midfield? As far as ball playing defenders they also aren't exactly Beckenbauer or Sammer constantly charging in midfield.

Jim Beam

I'm not sure how Figueroa or Baresi will dispute him owning the midfield? As far as ball playing defenders they also aren't exactly Beckenbauer or Sammer constantly charging in midfield.
He likes to control everything and personally I would always put a great defender behind him and not someone who will go in his area.

Jim Beam

I understand the love behind JB's team
You don't. Both of you voted against it in a quarter-finals in what was the straightforward match as it can be. This is not a dig at you, just at your opinion that you understand it.

You will not go through that midfield. Be my guest going on the flanks with Scirea and Desailly defending the crosses.

Enigma_87

You know who
He likes to control everything and personally I would always put a great defender behind him and not someone who will go in his area.
Both are like that - the greatest CB's in history it's not necessarily going to step up in his territory. Look at Baresi's game against Romario in 94 where he was doing mostly only defensive work, same as Figueroa when facing Muller. Both are very intelligent defenders and I can sense what are you going for with the too many cooks angle, but Both Baresi and Figueroa would love to play with each other and Redondo is not someone who would have his game restricted with two great CB's behind him.

Besides as I've said both Figueroa and Baresi has proven on multiple occasion that tactically they are perfect and will not try to boss the midfield all of a sudden because they have someone of Redondo's class in front of them.

Jim Beam

Both are like that - the greatest CB's in history it's not necessarily going to step up in his territory. Look at Baresi's game against Romario in 94 where he was doing mostly only defensive work, same as Figueroa when facing Muller. Both are very intelligent defenders and I can sense what are you going for with the too many cooks angle, but Both Baresi and Figueroa would love to play with each other and Redondo is not someone who would have his game restricted with two great CB's behind him.

Besides as I've said both Figueroa and Baresi has proven on multiple occasion that tactically they are perfect and will not try to boss the midfield all of a sudden because they have someone of Redondo's class in front of them.
They are great. But, kill me I just don't see the chemistry.

But, let's move forward what version of Messi and Ronaldo is here? Sorry if it is in write up, just come from work and glanced through it.

Enigma_87

You know who
You don't. Both of you voted against it in a quarter-finals in what was the straightforward match as it can be. This is not a dig at you, just at your opinion that you understand it.

You will not go through that midfield. Be my guest going on the flanks with Scirea and Desailly defending the crosses.
Well same goes for your side. Your strengths are where it is stacked in our defensive unit as well. Scirea's defending crosses is not something I'd call a strength.

In terms of votes being 3 down in the first 5 mins without any feedback is pretty discouraging to say at least :) Gives feck all point of going through a debate.

Enigma_87

You know who

Jim Beam

In terms of votes being 3 down in the first 5 mins without any feedback is pretty discouraging to say at least :) Gives feck all point of going through a debate.
It's a great team at first sight.

But if you really think about it, it is something that a 14-year old would come up in some Space Jam movie.

Enigma_87

You know who

But if you really think about it, it is something that a 14-year old would come up in some Space Jam movie.
Having a recreation of caree magique doesn't mean your team is better mate. At the end of the day they weren't a dominating side nor a formation that was a dominating one. THey clicked obviously but were beatable side and by much more inferior sides than what we have on display here.

Jim Beam

But, I would really, really feckin appreciate if you don't talk about the score (old habits die hard, eh?)

MJJ

Feel free to leave.

Yeah, I thought so. ;)

Feck the debate with enigma if it doesn't go to 6 or 7 pages.
But, I would really, really feckin appreciate if you don't talk about the score (old habits die hard, eh?)
Where did this beam come from :lol::lol:

Jim Beam

Having a recreation of caree magique doesn't mean your team is better mate. At the end of the day they weren't a dominating side nor a formation that was a dominating one. THey clicked obviously but were beatable side and by much more inferior sides than what we have on display here.
And if I cut Messi oxygen from your team which is the plan you will lose. To inferior side by your opinion.

My team is absolutely better, you have better individuals.

Enigma_87

You know who
Is this some new argument strategy that you are on mate? :lol:

If you are going to act like a cnut in order just to win the game I won't really be in the way so won't really go 6-7 pages as you reckon. ;)