B2B Draft SF: Jim Beam vs Enigma/Theon

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
any last votes? It has been a kinda disappointing vote turn out considering it's an all time draft and pretty much all players are well known.
I'm still undecided about voting, although the downside for you is that if I do, the vote would go to @Jim Beam.

I like his team setup the most in this draft, and I don't think peak Messi and peak Ronaldo would gel exceptionally well, tbh. That problem might even be aggravated by Romario, because imo Ronaldo thrived the most with teammates who primarily worked for him (both at United and Real), and gave him the freedom to speculate and get into goalscoring positions at his convenience.

The reason why I'm hesitant is that, even if I favour a side, I find it hard to vote against a decently constructed alltime draft team. The ridiculous amount of individual matchwinning quality kind of overrules tactical considerations. Both defenses are similarly stacked, but these attackers can sit any defender on his ass at a moment's notice.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
My vote doesn't count just curious to see the score.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Your thoughts on Facchetti in this role? I think it's pretty important part of the duel considering his role in the diamond(square)
That's one of the reasons why I wanted to see Messi on the right to be honest — to limit Facchetti and his impact on the attacking game. As I said, Facchetti, despite being an all-time great and one of the best defenders at left back position, would still be a bit vulnerable against Messi; especially considering the difference in height, that in this case works against the tall one. A fully unleashed Figo would've been great for that as well — but, the way I see it, he'll be a mirrored version of Madrid's Di Maria; adjusting his movement to Messi and starting from a deeper position. All while Messi finds himself in the condensed central space between Rijkaard, Tigana, Scirea and Desailly.

The beauty of Messi dribbling into the central zone that you have him starting at is that he exploits the inevitable moment of change in man-marking responsibility. When he begins on the right, left back looks after him — then he takes off and the left back has to give him to a center back or to a holding midfielder... creating either
  • a situation when 2 (or even 3) players come directly against Messi and then he can find his teammate in a free space that he had made for him
  • a situation when the shift in responsibility doesn't go well and he either finds himself free (then he goes on and shoots) — or with left back still on him way out of position (that's when he gives the ball back to Alves). Figo can do it, I guess, but it's weird to have him as an reactive overlapper instead of a winger that decides whenever he goes inside (and fullback provides an overlap) or outside

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
An entertaining but not the most enlightening thread.

Beam really should depict it as a square rather than a diamond. I don't really see the width issue that much for Beam especially down the left and I don't see it being a defensive liability unless both full-backs bomb forward at the same time. Even then Spurs regularly have a back four in square two DMs and two CBs and they are hardly defensively frail. That said Beam isn't pressing as much as Potch.

For Enigma Romario Messi and Figo work really well, it just CR7 that's the issue and it seems to be an ego thing and his lack of adaptability with other players. Maybe Seeler upfront would have gelled the front four that bit more. I did like CR7 as an aerial threat to make use of Figo's crossing. Davids and Redondo are extremely complementary but they're up against Tigana and Rijkaard. It also raises something I've long thought about DLPs is that they can be a bit of a liability against a GOAT 10.

I didn't get time to vote but I'd see Beam having more of the ball (CR7 and Figo will be pretty direct), the question is could Enigma keep him out enough with CR7 and Romario's lack of work of the ball to launch a lightening counter.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Beam really should depict it as a square rather than a diamond
It shouldn't be a square as well.

All 4 players should ideally be on 4 different horizontal axis.

--------------Platini-------
-----Iniesta---------------
--------------Tigana------
----Rijkaard-------------

(But it looks a bit shite)

I don't really see the width issue that much for Beam especially down the left and I don't see it being a defensive liability unless both full-backs bomb forward at the same time
I think he didnt respond to this correctly. I expected him to use the below logic at some point and was not too arsed to comment myself.

The setup will quite often transform to a double pivot (a square as u say) when the fullbacks attack and it will be the responsibility of Rijkaard to cover for Facchetti and Tigana for Alberto.

In the diamond, its the 2 side midfielders that do it which is why Enigma was asking of Iniesta helping out defensively time and again. This of course, isn't a diamond.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@GodShaveTheQueen

That makes a lot of sense. Even if it does look a bit odd on four different horizontal axes at least it won't be taken to be a Milan esque diamond.

How would you visualise Brazil 82 on a team sheet accurately?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@GodShaveTheQueen

That makes a lot of sense. Even if it does look a bit odd on four different horizontal axes at least it won't be taken to be a Milan esque diamond.

How would you visualise Brazil 82 on a team sheet accurately?
That would be a lot more closer to a square I think. Still not a perfect square.