Back-up Strikers Market

croadyman

Thought it was worth getting some people's views on which backup striker we should be looking to bring in.Seeing as Paul Hirst suggested in his recent article we are looking at two strikers.

gajender

Thought it was worth getting some people's views on which backup striker we should be looking to bring in.Seeing as Paul Hirst suggested in his recent article we are looking at two strikers.
Loïs openda, Elye Wahi, Santiago Giminez might be decent punts without making making major dent in our Budget .

NoPace

My kingdom for a Chicharito/Inzaghi type who can't do anything but score a goal off the bench.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Retegui, Orban, Boniface. Worth taking a big gamble if they're going to be a backup.

daba

Seems to be quite a few options in this cheaper category. Orban, Gimenez, Openda as mentioned above, or I also like Marcos Leonardo from Santos. I think Orban or Leonardo would be £25m but Openda or Gimenez I would expect to be more like £35m given the seasons they’ve had.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Alvaro Morata? Contract expired in 2024 means Atl Madrid will be open of the idea selling him. May be we can do swap deal with Martial.

ti vu

Alvaro Morata? Contract expired in 2024 means Atl Madrid will be open of the idea selling him. May be we can do swap deal with Martial.
:lol:

I don't think Martial would be open to the idea to work under Simeone. He's a drill sergeant.

redcucumber

I'd rather get a young pacey player with potential like City did with Alvarez, as opposed to another old forward at the end of his career. We've done our bit for the old folks at this point.

userman

Surely Martial is an adequate backup striker. As long as we’re not able to sell him this summer (might prove impossible with his wages) there’s very little chance/hope of signing two strikers when we have obvious and more pressing needs elsewhere then a backup striker.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gift Orban looks like he’ll be Lille bound as a replacement for Jonathan David.

zaafi

Taremi, Openda or Pavlidis. I don't think Orban is ready at this level yet, not even as back-up so he should stay where he is and continue his development because he's not going to develop as well as he currently is playing back-up here.

-Supreme-

Ivan Toney, with him suspended until January and his contract runs out in 2025 it would be interesting to see what he will go for.

arnie_ni

Surely Martial is an adequate backup striker. As long as we’re not able to sell him this summer (might prove impossible with his wages) there’s very little chance/hope of signing two strikers when we have obvious and more pressing needs elsewhere then a backup striker.
Your back up needs to be fit

Gavinb33

Bit left field but every time I see Victor Gyokeres play I'm impressed, the PL has seen strikers from the championship come up and do a good job in recent years Mbeumo and Toney at Brentford and Mitro at Fulham so there is talent in that division

userman

Your back up needs to be fit
Yeah, but I would claim that his injury absence(s) will become much less notable if he’s our backup and not our starting CF, and our “Martial-alternative” not being Weghorst..
He’s been available for us approximately 50% of the matches this season, so for the 50% he might not be available next season we can have Rashford as the backup CF.

Woziak

Marcus Thurham 6’3 , 26 mobile, Quick, can score goals and on A Free Transfer, this is the only option and we should do this asap

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Bård Finne would be fun to see as backup. He scores for fun in Norway right now.
No clue about rest of Europe, though.

Abraxas

I wouldn't prioritise this. I think it's a bit silly. We don't really have the sort of funds where 2 strikers is going to make more sense than strengthening a wider range of positions. Not unless they're going to cost peanuts which doesn't tend to happen when United come calling for your young striker. None of these players would cost peanuts.

What we need is logical planning. If we want to try and get Harry Kane for free you probably have to accept that you will suffer a bit next season, but maybe get somebody young that can contribute a bit and also play understudy in the long term. Or I guess you could go for an older player that isn't heralded but could do a job.

If we're not going for Harry Kane for free then we need to use a big chunk of our funds to get the best youngish striker available to us. Forget about backups, get the best option and then strengthen other more pressing positions after that. Anthony Martial will have to be the rather inadequate backup.

PSV

Bård Finne would be fun to see as backup. He scores for fun in Norway right now.
No clue about rest of Europe, though.
Might be on fire right now, but the guy flopped in both Germany tier 2 (46 games, 5 goals) and in Denmark (22 games, 1 goal).

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Might be on fire right now, but the guy flopped in both Germany tier 2 (46 games, 5 goals) and in Denmark (22 games, 1 goal).
True, but he looks a much more mature and better player now.
Not saying he's good enough, but he's a good poacher, and quite good on the ball aswell.
A bit too selfish for my taste, but i guess that's why he scores a lot now.

Gandalf

If money is really tight then Kieffer Moore should be available for a nominal fee this summer. Like Wout but he can actually head the ball and even in very limited action has managed 4 PL goals this season and is very good at holding up the ball and involving others. I may be guilty of a little Cymru bias here though.

SAFMUTD

No more veteran strikers. They decline fast, we need youngsters with potential to develop. The back up must be someone who can eventually become the starter.

Aint gota Kalou

Kelechi Iheanacho would score goals and be reasonably priced. He's been mismanaged by Leicester.

Levi1

Excited for the Summer rumors when we'll be competing with the likes of Wolves and Burnley for striking "talent".

Song for our new number 20: Oh Patrick Van Baaaaaamford, Oh, Patrick Van Baaaaaamford.

Derby County, eat your heart out.

Mmm-Qatarian

I'd definitely throw Brian Brobbey's name into the hat here.

I know he has his limitations, but at 21 his output for Ajax has been good this season. 0.73 goals per 90, with 0.79 expected goals on top of that.

I can't profess to know an awful lot about him but it is quite evident that Ten Hag likes him; we were reliably linked last summer. I wouldn't feel confident going into the season with him as our first choice striker but he is of the right age profile and I think probably has the ability to be a more than serviceable back-up should we want it, and he'd probably be cheaper than Højlund whilst also being more proven than some of the players from much lower leagues.

lex talionis

I'm in the "two strikers" camp.

Yes of course we all agree that we need an 8 to supersede Eriksen, a backup 6 to provide cover for Casemiro and a new CB to replace Maguire, who really should be flogged to Spurs. But more important than all those three priorities -- and some would add a RB, though I'm good with AWB and Dalot -- we need two strikers more than we need these other needs addressed.

If we do bring in Kane, I would have no problem with Toney as our backup striker even with the knowledge that he's banned until January.

Becks_VII

What's Moukokus situation, isn't his contract up at the end of the season? Although there is rumours he's actually older than initially thought?

atkar83

Did we get Chicharito and and RVP in the same summer? When we already had Rooney? Man those were the days. A summer like that would be fantastic