Back-up Strikers Market

GledTheRed

I'm in the "two strikers" camp.

Yes of course we all agree that we need an 8 to supersede Eriksen, a backup 6 to provide cover for Casemiro and a new CB to replace Maguire, who really should be flogged to Spurs. But more important than all those three priorities -- and some would add a RB, though I'm good with AWB and Dalot -- we need two strikers more than we need these other needs addressed.

If we do bring in Kane, I would have no problem with Toney as our backup striker even with the knowledge that he's banned until January.
Not one person in the world would have a problem with that, chances of it happening are absolutely zero however.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not one person in the world would have a problem with that, chances of it happening are absolutely zero however.
I would. I don't fancy another half season of Marcus being our 2nd choice striker. Happy to opt for a lesser but not banned player to avoid that.

I'm sure you're right that it ain't happening though.

M16Red

Bit left field but every time I see Victor Gyokeres play I'm impressed, the PL has seen strikers from the championship come up and do a good job in recent years Mbeumo and Toney at Brentford and Mitro at Fulham so there is talent in that division
Victor Gyokeres is highly likely to go to Brentford or West ham this year, if Cov don't come up. Good numbers this year, 25 mil.

My left fields are Che Adams or Duk from Aberdeen

davidmichael

Thuram on a free is a no brainer just like Rabiot and N’Dicka also both are, all three of those add quality depth to the squad and it’s seriously lacking in that.

L1nk

I'm going to die on the Hojlund hill, he will be big in a season or two and out of a reasonable price range.

croadyman

Thuram on a free is a no brainer just like Rabiot and N’Dicka also both are, all three of those add quality depth to the squad and it’s seriously lacking in that.
Wasn't N'dicka meant to be going to Barca

davidmichael

Wasn't N'dicka meant to be going to Barca
From what I’ve seen/read Barca are only interested in finding a way to re-sign Messi which is difficult due to their financial position so anyone else is secondary to Messi, did see a few weeks back that a deal for N’Dicka had fallen through as well and was around the same time as the potential Messi deal was first spoken about properly.

Wheato

We don't need a veteran striker coming to the end of his career, looking for a pay day, and we don't need a 20 year old who has scored 10/15 goals in Belgium or Holland.

To get us to the next level, we need to go for the real deal. Someone who will hit the ground running and score 30 goals in a season. If we were to take a punt on a younger understudy to the main striker, I would go all in for Evan Ferguson. He gives me Haaland vibes.

lex talionis

I would. I don't fancy another half season of Marcus being our 2nd choice striker. Happy to opt for a lesser but not banned player to avoid that.

I'm sure you're right that it ain't happening though.
Marcus Rashford isn't a striker, of the first or second choice kind. He's our first choice LW. If we have two CFs and they're both out then he can fill in for a match or two, but his game will always be coming in from the left.

croadyman

From what I’ve seen/read Barca are only interested in finding a way to re-sign Messi which is difficult due to their financial position so anyone else is secondary to Messi, did see a few weeks back that a deal for N’Dicka had fallen through as well and was around the same time as the potential Messi deal was first spoken about properly.
Who do you think fits us better out of N'dicka/KMJ

croadyman

We don't need a veteran striker coming to the end of his career, looking for a pay day, and we don't need a 20 year old who has scored 10/15 goals in Belgium or Holland.

To get us to the next level, we need to go for the real deal. Someone who will hit the ground running and score 30 goals in a season. If we were to take a punt on a younger understudy to the main striker, I would go all in for Evan Ferguson. He gives me Haaland vibes.
I like Ferguson and we should definitely keep tabs on him but he doesn't leave this summer

davidmichael

Who do you think fits us better out of N'dicka/KMJ
From what I’ve seen of both I’d say Kim would be a better signing as he’d arguably slot in almost immediately or at least genuinely challenge for a starting place in rotation with Varane but reality is we have to be wary of FFP and with Kim having a buyout clause it may need to be paid in full which would affect FFP due to it being one full payment on the balance sheet.

I only chose N’Dicka because he’s left footed, young with great potential, would accept a squad role, be a great back up for Martinez and I’m sure would be keen to learn from Varane who’s been the poster boy of France’s defence for a decade until international retirement and on a free N’Dicka wouldn’t affect FFP so we could go all out on a striker and possibly a keeper.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What about he who shall not be named as second striker? Can use the season to get back into shape.
He will be back.

If he was sacked then I don’t see why they wouldn’t just do it straight away when there’s games to cover up the big problem instead of the summer when everyone is looking for news.

I think our striker force will be :
  1. Kane
  2. Unnamed
  3. Rashford
  4. Martial

We will look to send Martial out on a free with a replacement in a couple of years.​

ROFLUTION

If Leeds are relegated , Rodrigo is a good option.
Great shout imo. Very clinical with the chances he's given. Shouldnt be that expensive neither and can cover other spots too. 13 goals this season is quite alright.

Contract expires in 2024, so this is as good as it can get imo.

Bondi77

I thought Daka would have been a big hit at Leicester but it never really happened for him and I wonder if Ten Hag could get the form he showed at his previous club out of him.

Dorris

He will be back.

If he was sacked then I don’t see why they wouldn’t just do it straight away when there’s games to cover up the big problem instead of the summer when everyone is looking for news.

1. Kane
  2. Unnamed
  3. Rashford
  4. Martial

We will look to send Martial out on a free with a replacement in a couple of years.​
I think we want a fee for him from Italy hence why we haven’t binned him yet. There seems to be a few clubs circling and he’s essentially a near 100m talent, so I think we can get 10-15m for him, even if he is tainted.

Rossa

He will be back.

1. Kane
  2. Unnamed
  3. Rashford
  4. Martial

I think this could be a wise decision. The club is in a terrible position with this mess, but people are quick to judge. He is, as of now, not convicted of anything.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He will be back.

Alternatively, the fact we haven't been hearing/reading a lot of PR about him going to therapy, self-improvement, charity work, etc makes me doubt we are bringing him back. If we did intend on him coming back into the team I would have thought we'd have been trying to turn the tide of public opinion. Getting the story out there about how his girlfriend (victim of the crime) has forgiven him and they are happy together and expecting a child and so on. Instead it's all just been very quiet from what I've seen.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Remember us being linked with brobbey from Ajax. Another one of ETH former players.

L1nk

What is the update on that? Why is it taking so long?
I imagine they are waiting until the season is essentially over before saying anything so as not to cause a stir one way or the other that could distract

Erik the Red

He will be back.

1. Kane
  2. Unnamed
  3. Rashford
  4. Martial

Would love to bring in two or three of Orban, Ferguson, Hojlund, Sesko and Vitor Roque. Along with Haaland, Mbappe, Osimhen and potentially Endrick, at the moment these guys are the ones who look like they could become the Benzema, Lewandoswski, Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovich, Kane of the next generation.

Mbappe is a no-brainer if he would come, but I think he is Madrid bound. Rashford and unnamed can do a job providing cover for leading the line whilst we are in transition for next season, but for the cost of an Osimhen (£150m) we could have three of the top striking talent. I also think Osimhen has serious weaknesses to his game.

If we can get any money for Martial we should (even loan paying towards his wages), otherwise his contract expires in a year.

For the front three positions, we would have Rashford and Garnacho on the left, Antony and unnamed on the right, and three of the list above to cover the central position. I think goalkeeper and central striker are the only positions where you should have double cover. A striker is the most substituted position, and we want to have the flexibility to always switch to two upfront when chasing a game.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Marcus Rashford isn't a striker, of the first or second choice kind. He's our first choice LW. If we have two CFs and they're both out then he can fill in for a match or two, but his game will always be coming in from the left.
TBH I think his days as first choice LW maybe numbered soon but you are right, he isn't and never will be a CF aside from the odd game

lex talionis

TBH I think his days as first choice LW maybe numbered soon but you are right, he isn't and never will be a CF aside from the odd game
Agreed. Garnacho looks a far more dynamic LW who just needs to grow physically and mentally and if/when he does he can blow Rashford out of the water. I'm a huge Rashford fan but his game is so frustratingly one dimensional...but what a dimension it is!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Agreed. Garnacho looks a far more dynamic LW who just needs to grow physically and mentally and if/when he does he can blow Rashford out of the water. I'm a huge Rashford fan but his game is so frustratingly one dimensional...but what a dimension it is!
One dimensional is spot on, he needs to add to his game, better control and back to goal skills would go a long way to support a #9 role, the one thing that Martial has done quite well this season is his back to goal ball retention, if Rashford could acquire those skills it would improe is value to the team immensely