Backing Harry Maguire in this tough time would be a true test of Ole

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah he's so not "class" that two of the best managers of all time wanted him as their defensive lynchpin.
Ffs. Stop using Guardiola’s interest as a sign of quality. In the end he didn’t sign him because City thought that he was overpriced – which is a better indication of his true assessment. And Pep’s record with CBs is not exactly stellar – Stones, Chigrynski, Caceres, all for big money.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Brilliant post.

I've seen fans suggest that if we were to sign Sancho we'd manage to turn him into a terrible player within a season. That would mean there's a problem with our tactics, not necessarily Sancho (unless he flopped on his own accord). How long do you think it would be before the same fans called him a waste, or that we were mugged off by Dortmund when really it's down to the manager? We're terrible at playing to our individual players strengths squad wide, but the defence and Maguire in particular are the one's hung out to dry because of it.

It's pathetic how frequently we try to play out from the back, opponent presses, we lose the ball and give away a corner (which we suck at defending) or concede.
  • De Gea is comfortably one of the worst distributors of the ball in the league.
  • AWB can't tolerate anyone pressing him and is forced to play it to Lindelof or de Gea as soon as he is.
  • Lindelof covers, yet panics the second an attacker runs at him and backtracks (Bailly is an absolute madman when he partners Maguire).
  • Maguire pushes forward as he's 'ball playing' and has no pace, yet lacks the partner that can cover him appropriately when doing so.
  • Shaw is often up field or tucking into the midfield and is caught out of position leaving a huge gap.
These are tactics applied by OGS and coaching staff which clearly don't work, yet are repeatedly applied game after game. Fans then claim 'x' player isn't good enough when they make a mistake. We're such a predictable team. Add to that the consistent sloppy passes which concede possession at present form by our midfield and it's a recipe for disaster.

Individual errors will always occur even in players deemed world class, but they're easily forgiven if good tactics are applied making them a rarity. Something we unfortunately don't do.
Just as regards Sancho I was always pretty sure we wouldn't end up signing him and also that he wasn't the kind of game-changing player that was worth the kind of fee being discussed. That being said he may well have of arrived been brilliant early on and then his form would just nose dive. I am one of those in the camp of seeing this as a common trend. Conversely (and despite my aforementioned doubts) had/if he signs for say Liverpool or Chelsea I am fairly close to certain that he'll perform brilliantly. Unfortunately this issue is not new to Solskjaer. It seems to have been going on for years prior to his arrival.

Last edited:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Another Harry Maguire thread but this will be a positive one. Unlike other knee jerkers I do not believe his captaincy should be stripped or anything. Every player has dips. I have never seen Harry play as bad as this making basic errors and so I'm confident this is an aberration in otherwise solid career.

Harry Maguire is class and he will come good for us as captain. Somehow because Roy Keane (one of our best captains) was good at shouting people seem to think the shouting is what makes someone a good player to lead. Share all the stupid 30 second clips you want. Maguire will see this through!
All of this is irrelevant, he’s not good enough.

OverratedOpinion

I don't care about his dip of form, it happens and that is fine.

The actual issue is that even at his very best he is just about good enough to be the second or third best centre back in a title winning team. We have unfortunately paid enough money for him that we have to pretend he is a top class defender. Not his fault mind.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think he should have even been appointed in the first place. He never captained England or his former clubs, so giving him the captaincy after 6 months at United was insane in itself.

I guess we were in desperate need of a leader so we pretended that we have one on Maguire, despite that he doesn't have any leadership ability (even on the defense, it is Lindelof who is trying to organize the defense and shouting at other players).

Godfather

Stripping him off the armband and benching out of form players like him no matter what we paid for them is the only real test and he's failed at that so far

Maticmaker

I'm backing him as well, played well for us last year. Not worth 80 mil, but not many players are. He made our back line better last year, but needs to get in gear though, not sure what's his problem right now.
Facing a potential 2/3 years in Jail in Greece if found guilty (and if he goes back there... ) might take many peoples attention away from their day job!

elnorte

Freaky fly day
There is a general desperation displayed by some United fans/posters on the Caf that we still possess the kind of world class players that played here in the past. Furthermore supporters wish to believe that there is justification for the extortionate transfer fees we paid for certain players because they are the best in the world. Neither of these things are true. Pogba, of course, is the biggest example but Maguire is also very much a case in point.

Last edited:

JB7

Ffs. Stop using Guardiola’s interest as a sign of quality. In the end he didn’t sign him because City thought that he was overpriced – which is a better indication of his true assessment. And Pep’s record with CBs is not exactly stellar – Stones, Chigrynski, Caceres, all for big money.
It's almost like I said "two of the best managers of all time" rather than just "Guardiola".

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's almost like I said "two of the best managers of all time" rather than just "Guardiola".
Do you like the rest of the signings Jose made during his time at United?

JB7

Do you like the rest of the signings Jose made during his time at United?
Some more than others, the ones that were pretty clearly his signings worked out pretty well for a period of time - Ibra, Matic, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof - even Bailly started well until he became made of glass.

harms

Staff
It's almost like you should've simply said "Jose". Plus, Jose is hardly a top manager nowadays – and he hasn't been for quite some time.

JB7

It's almost like you should've simply said "Jose". Plus, Jose is hardly a top manager nowadays – and he hasn't been for quite some time.
Why? Guardiola clearly is one of the best managers of all time and he did want to sign him. That means two of the best managers wanted to sign him.

NK86

Nice analysis, didn't think about the Son/Kane switch but you're right.

Managers can have bad games as well and Ole had a nightmare vs Spurs. This isn't meant as another Ole bashing post but the tactics made our out of form defenders look even worse, we were never going to play with stability at the back with our back line that high up.
Any layman with a functional pair of eyes, who would have seen Spurs play against Soton, would have noticed how Kane was dropping deep with Son running beyond him, and with Soton playing a suicidal high line, they got fecked sideways by Spurs.

I remember seeing the game and thinking, no way will we be stupid enough to have a high line, especially with a player like Maguire, who has zero recovery pace, in our defense.

Ole though proved me wrong. I kept thinking what kind of analysis do these highly paid analysts and coaches even do if not prepare for the opponent. Is it a case of "go out there and do your thing" by Ole or is he so full of himself that he thinks he can play whatever tactics he wants against every team/coach without countering what has been evidently on display by them.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not to mention that he rarely misses a game through injury. Which is a bonus considering the amount of injuries our cb s had year in year out.

There was a stat on one of the papers about players who played most minutes since February and he s on tops. He may have some fatigue but our cb situation doesn't allow us to rest him much.

Kostov

Lets also back Lingard and Lindelof.
Let's also back Lingard who has been underperforming for over 2 years constantly and Lindelof who has never proven to be anything but an average as feck CB since he has been here? What that's got to do with Maguire?

Kostov

Any layman with a functional pair of eyes, who would have seen Spurs play against Soton, would have noticed how Kane was dropping deep with Son running beyond him, and with Soton playing a suicidal high line, they got fecked sideways by Spurs.

I remember seeing the game and thinking, no way will we be stupid enough to have a high line, especially with a player like Maguire, who has zero recovery pace, in our defense.

Ole though proved me wrong. I kept thinking what kind of analysis do these highly paid analysts and coaches even do if not prepare for the opponent. Is it a case of "go out there and do your thing" by Ole or is he so full of himself that he thinks he can play whatever tactics he wants against every team/coach without countering what has been evidently on display by them.
I remember we also had a lucky break just before the second goal was it? When Son was through on goal and just made a bad touch and DDG recovered? It was evident that Mourinho had a plan to use that pace against our high defense tactics, only Ole had the idea that we can cope with that while playing Maguire and Matic in front of him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He spent 80mil on him and gave him captaincy while he ignored some "senators" in team. He doesn't have any choice except back him

harms

Staff
Why? Guardiola clearly is one of the best managers of all time and he did want to sign him. That means two of the best managers wanted to sign him.
Yeah he's so not "class" that two of the best managers of all time wanted him as their defensive lynchpin.
1. That is not the same thing
2. Maguire is literally the first player that I've seen whose quality is somehow proved by a previous transfer interest from a manager that, in the end, decided that he wasn't worth the money

FizzyWomack

Personally I think NOT backing Maguire would show a better test of character. Strip the captaincy first of all. Was here not long enough at all to warrant being captain, does not lead by example.

I think we see a better Maguire if he’s not captain, at the minute he doesn’t have the minerals for it IMO.

dev1l

Personally I think NOT backing Maguire would show a better test of character. Strip the captaincy first of all. Was here not long enough at all to warrant being captain, does not lead by example.

I think we see a better Maguire if he’s not captain, at the minute he doesn’t have the minerals for it IMO.
What "minerals" you need to be a captain?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
His positioning has been all over the place ever since he joined. He was drifting into midfield leaving big gaps behind, putting his defensive partners under unnecessary pressure, from the beginning. It's just nobody wanted to have it, seeing as we had just paid £80m and were desperate for our own VVD.

Last season, it was Lindelöf who was the one organising our defence. Anyone who watched him at Leicester or asked their fans, would have known Evans was the leader of their defence. He had Dawson at Hull. For England, he played in a back three, with Stones the main organiser.

But we think it's okay for someone who hasn't shown any ability to organise a defence previously, to now have him as the main leader of our defence? What were we expecting to happen?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Brilliant post.

I've seen fans suggest that if we were to sign Sancho we'd manage to turn him into a terrible player within a season. That would mean there's a problem with our tactics, not necessarily Sancho (unless he flopped on his own accord). How long do you think it would be before the same fans called him a waste, or that we were mugged off by Dortmund when really it's down to the manager? We're terrible at playing to our individual players strengths squad wide, but the defence and Maguire in particular are the one's hung out to dry because of it.

It's pathetic how frequently we try to play out from the back, opponent presses, we lose the ball and give away a corner (which we suck at defending) or concede.
  • De Gea is comfortably one of the worst distributors of the ball in the league.
  • AWB can't tolerate anyone pressing him and is forced to play it to Lindelof or de Gea as soon as he is.
  • Lindelof covers, yet panics the second an attacker runs at him and backtracks (Bailly is an absolute madman when he partners Maguire).
  • Maguire pushes forward as he's 'ball playing' and has no pace, yet lacks the partner that can cover him appropriately when doing so.
  • Shaw is often up field or tucking into the midfield and is caught out of position leaving a huge gap.
These are tactics applied by OGS and coaching staff which clearly don't work, yet are repeatedly applied game after game. Fans then claim 'x' player isn't good enough when they make a mistake. We're such a predictable team. Add to that the consistent sloppy passes which concede possession at present form by our midfield and it's a recipe for disaster.

Individual errors will always occur even in players deemed world class, but they're easily forgiven if good tactics are applied making them a rarity. Something we unfortunately don't do.
great post.

I've seen many people on this forum say that Ole hasnt played a structure, a philosophy, isnt playing tactics at all and are letting players play on their own individual abilities - if this is true then surely this will only highlight a players weaknesses aswell?

Why are the fans then turning around and shouting at so many individual players then? Why complain about an individuals ability when arguably our football shows Individuals mistakes?

Is it worth diminishing them when comparing them to other 'world class' or talented young players in other clubs who are most of the time playing in decent setups relative to their experience & ability?

mancan92

Maquire :lol:

Harry will be fine it‘s our alleged fans who need to pull their heads in. He’s our best centre half by far. Way too many silly reactive kneejerk threads allowed on this form, which just encourages the whole madness that follows. Players don’t get confidence by being dropped, in fact generally the opposite happens.
We've had a whole season to make decision on him. I don't see anything so far that makes me come to the decision that he is good enough to take us back to the top. That's seeing over 60 games of him in the shirt.

We've had a whole season to make decision on him. I don't see anything so far that makes me come to the decision that he is good enough to take us back to the top. That's seeing over 60 games of him in the shirt.
based on last season, he’s more than good enough. In the 3 league games this season he’s been terrible, and needs to buck up his ideas, but then so does everyone else.

dev1l

But decided he didn't want to spend the money on him because he didn't think he was that level of player.
Guardiola pulled out because they thought he wasn't worth 80m, not because he wasn't good enough for them

mancan92

Guardiola pulled out because they thought he wasn't worth 80m, not because he wasn't good enough for them
I said he believed he wasn't at the level you would pay that much for. So doesn't believe he is of the highest class.

Pep has clearly shown he is willing to blow crazy money on defenders it's that he's not an elite defender so he's not gonna pay that money for him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Another Harry Maguire thread but this will be a positive one. Unlike other knee jerkers I do not believe his captaincy should be stripped or anything. Every player has dips. I have never seen Harry play as bad as this making basic errors and so I'm confident this is an aberration in otherwise solid career.

Harry Maguire is class and he will come good for us as captain. Somehow because Roy Keane (one of our best captains) was good at shouting people seem to think the shouting is what makes someone a good player to lead. Share all the stupid 30 second clips you want. Maguire will see this through!
If anything, Ole taking the armband from him temporarily would help, it seems like his head is not at the right place at the moment. His recent form suggests that he needs some help to take the pressure off him and he should not be relied upon to be the captain a.k.a the leader on the pitch for the time being, not when he's not even sure of himself. Other than that Ole doesn't have any other choice but to back him anyway so I don't see any test in it. It's a something that has to be done and the only thing that can be done this season.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

No positional awareness, turns slower than the Titanic, lacks pace, (used to) score headed goals for Leicester (emphasis on used to and Leicester), doesn't organize his defensive unit as a leader, horrible at 1v1 situations....yea..
Class alright....a class waaaaay below what United have been used to.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I think it’s difficult for Ole. But, I am not sure it is entirely a question of backing him/playing him through his troubles. It’s a make or break period for him and dropping him could be catastrophic long term, but playing him when he is clearly not right mentally could be just as bad.

But he’s got a really difficult balance to achieve, much like with Jesse’s troubles, Maguire is at a similar crossroads. He needs support, does he even need counselling after all that happened in Mykonos.

No one knows what he has been through but him, was he in the wrong or not. But it’s highly possible he is still suffering/traumatised by whatever happened, and that is affecting him on the pitch.

This is an extreme test of Ole’s man management skills, his biggest to date.

This coupled with Pogba’s abject performances since Having Covid has given him a mammoth task to save the season before it has even begun.
What "troubles" does Jesse have other than being downright awful at football??

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No positional awareness, turns slower than the Titanic, lacks pace, (used to) score headed goals for Leicester (emphasis on used to and Leicester), doesn't organize his defensive unit as a leader, horrible at 1v1 situations....yea..
Class alright....a class waaaaay below what United have been used to.
The headed goals part is an overstatement, he scored two headers for Leicester.